Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Irsay should do:

GwinnettColt

Possibilities Irsay could consider  

172 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think Irsay should do?

• Nothing. Keep everyone.
    • Fire Chuck and put Chud in until the end of the season and make a decision then.
    • Fire everyone at the end of the season.
    • Let Grigson, Pep, and Manusky go now. Keep Chuck, put Chud into the OC position and let Chuck handle DC position.
    • Another option

One option I've thought of is that Irsay could consider putting Chudzinski into the OC position.  He did well at that position in Cleveland and in Carolina.  Give Chuck more of an active role with the DB position.  Then make a decision at the end of the season in regards to what you want to do.  Of course, this totally eliminates any power Grigson has now.  I think the players like Pagano and want to play for him, at least from what we hear from Andrew.  Of course, he certainly wouldn't say anything negative about his own coach.  

I think Andrew will improve at that point because playcalling would improve.  I'm not sure what to do about pass protection and pass rush. I had high hopes for Mathis but he seems rusty right now.  

I don't think bringing in a new HC who knows nothing of the organization or the playbook works midseason.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay cannot fire anyone as long as we are in first place in our division. Yes at 3-4, it sounds crazy, but we are winning our division.

I believe that as long as we keep winning the AFC South or at least stay within striking distance then we have to keep everyone aboard. 

Irsay has pretty much put Super Bowl or bust on the table. He set that in motion by not locking up Pagano in the off-season.

Personally, I would like to see what Pagano can do without Grigson in charge. I do not believe I will see that, because too much damage is done. Barring a miraculous season comeback, topped by a Super Bowl victory,  the media has successfully ran the entire regime out of town. 

I feel like chuck never got his actual chance being that Grigson runs things he shouldn't be..but he does need to stop being so passive about the situation unless he truly doesn't care to be here anymore

Agreed, if rumors are true he needs to tell Irsay let him run the team and coordinators how he sees fit. Sink or swim will be completely on him.

Irsay cannot fire anyone as long as we are in first place in our division. Yes at 3-4, it sounds crazy, but we are winning our division.

I believe that as long as we keep winning the AFC South or at least stay within striking distance then we have to keep everyone aboard.

Irsay has pretty much put Super Bowl or bust on the table. He set that in motion by not locking up Pagano in the off-season.

Personally, I would like to see what Pagano can do without Grigson in charge. I do not believe I will see that, because too much damage is done. Barring a miraculous season comeback, topped by a Super Bowl victory, the media has successfully ran the entire regime out of town.

We could seriously lose 4 of the next 5 games if we hold the course.

I voted another option and that would be to fire pep and hand over OC to Chud for the remainder of the season and evaluate the response of the team to it to either keep him or search for another OC. Now this move needs to come from either Chuck or Pep and if it has to come from Irsay, what's the point in having Griggson.

I would not fire Chuck or Griggs at this point but if Griggs is making all the personnel decisions in spite of what Chuck wants then I wouldn't be surprised to see Chuck remain and Griggs sent packing at years end ( unless we went on a year and got into the SB

I would have never believed we'd be 3-4 right now either. The offense has been a complete mess for the most part.

The talent is there. It could click at any moment, or it might not click at all this year.

The Colts could win the next 9 games or lose the next 9 games. We will not know until the games are played. 

That's a lot of options, and you didn't even include mine. Demote Pep, and I think everything gets better right away.

I'm not sure if most coaches are willing to be "demoted"....

So, if we said to Pep,  you're going to be the QB coach or the RB coach or the WR coach,  of even a generic "offensive" coach,  I think Pep's response would be this....

"Fire me and pay me off and I'll be on my way.   But I'm not sticking around here if I'm not going to be allowed to do the work I was hired for."

Personally, I would like to see what Pagano can do without Grigson in charge. I do not believe I will see that, because too much damage is done. Barring a miraculous season comeback, topped by a Super Bowl victory,  the media has successfully ran the entire regime out of town.

He can and he will.

I say get rid of the whole mediocre lot.

That's a lot of options, and you didn't even include mine. Demote Pep, and I think everything gets better right away.

If we have to make any in-season moves then I believe the first option Irsay should play is to fire Pep and have Rob Chudzinski run the offense. 

One option I've thought of is that Irsay could consider putting Chudzinski into the OC position.  He did well at that position in Cleveland and in Carolina.  Give Chuck more of an active role with the DB position.  Then make a decision at the end of the season in regards to what you want to do.  Of course, this totally eliminates any power Grigson has now.  I think the players like Pagano and want to play for him, at least from what we hear from Andrew.  Of course, he certainly wouldn't say anything negative about his own coach.  

I think Andrew will improve at that point because playcalling would improve.  I'm not sure what to do about pass protection and pass rush. I had high hopes for Mathis but he seems rusty right now.  

I don't think bringing in a new HC who knows nothing of the organization or the playbook works midseason.

The obvious first move would be to replace Pep with Chud at the bye week.  The O is struggling, yet many want to blame the General Manager of the entire team instead of the people directly responsible for designing and executing the O.

And that choice isn't even an option in this poll or really discussed as much as it should.

He can and he will.

I say get rid of the whole mediocre lot.

He is not going to fire a GM and head coach mid-season while his team owns first place in the division.

If/when we are mathematically out or we are trending to become out, then that option is on the table.

Right now, NO. Not happening.

He is not going to fire a GM and head coach mid-season while his team owns first place in the division.

If/when we are mathematically out or we are trending to become out, then that option is on the table.

I wouldn't rule out firing Pagano if we lose the next 2 games especially if in blowout fashion. Teams usually fire people on bye weeks if they do during the season and our bye week is coming up soon.

Agreed, if rumors are true he needs to tell Irsay let him run the team and coordinators how he sees fit. Sink or swim will be completely on him.

one year deal with his own staff and let's see how he works. I'm only for Grigson because of how he keeps us out of cap trouble but if he's too stubborn to relinquish the power he shouldn't have then he needs to go

No, not mid season, but it's coming.

One option I've thought of is that Irsay could consider putting Chudzinski into the OC position. He did well at that position in Cleveland and in Carolina. Give Chuck more of an active role with the DB position. Then make a decision at the end of the season in regards to what you want to do. Of course, this totally eliminates any power Grigson has now. I think the players like Pagano and want to play for him, at least from what we hear from Andrew. Of course, he certainly wouldn't say anything negative about his own coach.

I think Andrew will improve at that point because playcalling would improve. I'm not sure what to do about pass protection and pass rush. I had high hopes for Mathis but he seems rusty right now.

He should just make Chud the interim head coach until the end of the season,

I'm not sure if most coaches are willing to be "demoted"....

So, if we said to Pep,  you're going to be the QB coach or the RB coach or the WR coach,  of even a generic "offensive" coach,  I think Pep's response would be this....

"Fire me and pay me off and I'll be on my way.   But I'm not sticking around here if I'm not going to be allowed to do the work I was hired for."

So be it.

I just think he's done a terrible job this year as the play caller, and that he should no longer be the play caller. If he want to take his ball and go home, I can live with that. Maybe the 'Canes will hire him.

I feel like chuck never got his actual chance being that Grigson runs things he shouldn't be..but he does need to stop being so passive about the situation unless he truly doesn't care to be here anymore

I totally agree to me it looks like Chuck has totally given up, something needs done now to save the season!

I would kill to have jon gruden as our HC. his west coast offense with luck at the helm would be unstoppable. not to mention I would love for once to have a coach thats flamboyant instead of vanilla 

I'd like to see Jon Gruden come out and definitively say that he's not going back to coaching, that way people can stop suggesting that he be our head coach.

If I made a list 20 names long, Gruden wouldn't be on it.

I'd like to see Jon Gruden come out and definitively say that he's not going back to coaching, that way people can stop suggesting that he be our head coach.

If I made a list 20 names long, Gruden wouldn't be on it.

I know hes not. who would you want

I totally agree to me it looks like Chuck has totally given up, something needs done now to save the season!

I don't think Pagano is the problem. He hasn't fixed the problem, and ultimately it all goes back to the top, but I'm mostly fine with Pagano. 

Still, he's probably gone by February.

I think you could get rid of a few coordinators now. Pep can go and let Chudzinski call plays. Let Manusky go and let Chuck call the defensive plays.

I think it might also be smart to move on from Grigson now. Start making calls now so a guy can start scouting now and is ready when the 2016 draft rolls around.

You'll need a new GM one way or another though. If Pagano stays, Grigson goes. If you move on from Pagano, the new coach will want a new GM for sure.

I know hes not. who would you want

No idea. But there are quite a few people I most definitely would not want.

Edit: I'm okay with keeping Chuck. I think we should try to hire Alex Van Pelt as OC. And since I think Whisenhunt gets blown out after this season, I'd get Ray Horton for DC. If by some strange chance Chuck does last past this season though, it's probably Chud at OC. No matter what, I think Pep's fate is sealed. He either gets fired or takes a job from someone else after this season.

Edited by Superman

I think you could get rid of a few coordinators now. Pep can go and let Chudzinski call plays. Let Manusky go and let Chuck call the defensive plays.

I think it might also be smart to move on from Grigson now. Start making calls now so a guy can start scouting now and is ready when the 2016 draft rolls around.

You'll need a new GM one way or another though. If Pagano stays, Grigson goes. If you move on from Pagano, the new coach will want a new GM for sure.

A new GM isn't going to change anything scouting-wise at this point. Even when a GM takes over in January, they usually don't make changes to their scouting staff until after the draft, because scouting starts way back in spring. And presumably, a new GM would have an NFL scouting background, and will be busy doing scouting right now anyways. 

I'm also fine with Manusky for now.

I don't think Pagano is the problem. He hasn't fixed the problem, and ultimately it all goes back to the top, but I'm mostly fine with Pagano. 

I think he goes as it at the very least appears that he is getting man handled by Belichek. The 2nd halves in all those losses have been blow outs which would at least give the impression that the Pats are making way better half time adjustments. I really don't know if Pagano is the problem or not. It does bother me that he doesn't seem to be any kind of defensive "guru" as I expected him when we made that hire. I'm thinking the colts need to win 2 playoff games again for him to keep his job. 

That said , I would be shocked to see him and Grigson both back next year. I think it would take a SB appearance and that is a real stretch to say the least. I would say 90% one of them is gone and 60% they are both gone.

I didn't mean Chuck Pagano was the problem, I just feel something needs to be done now with Pep, Greg,and Ryan Grigson. Make the change now and the team rally's behind Paganao!

He SHOULD NOT make any hasty, rash decisions as many here wold have hm.

Handle it like any business decision. Do our do diligence with the facts and future plans, and make the decision.

Its a big decision. Contrary to what some think, this season is far from done. WE HAVE TALENT. A fundamental change of attitude and preparedness and a "back to the basics" approach is needed.

Part of my concern going into the season was complacency. A team can go thru the motions "waiting" for the playoffs to get here. Our past success may have made us complacent.

We need accountability first. Team needs some emotion and needs to at least look prepared. No one looks comfortable or loose. You can sense the pressure.

Whatever Jim does, i'm with him. Howie long and uis tasteless comment can stick it.