Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney Signs With Cardinals

Bluefire4

That would have been really cool to see Freeney and Mathis together again for a season. REALLY cool.

However, how much does he have left and uow well would he fit. He was let go unceremoniously so perhaps he wouldnt want to come back either.

Would have been neat to see tho. Hard to believe he couldnt help this pass rush but he was a liability as an OLB.

That would have been really cool to see Freeney and Mathis together again for a season. REALLY cool.

However, how much does he have left and uow well would he fit. He was let go unceremoniously so perhaps he wouldnt want to come back either.

Would have been neat to see tho. Hard to believe he couldnt help this pass rush but he was a liability as an OLB.

Pretty unlikely considering the way Freeney and the Colts parted ways that he would ever resign here.

Arizona is a 4-3 team, right?

Arizona is a 4-3 team, right?

Nope, they play a 3-4 primarily.

I have been advocating for Freeney for the longest time, ever since I noticed how invisible Cole and Newsome were in pre-season. It has continued into the regular season and the Colts pass rush still sucks. All we needed was him to be used in pass rush situations.

Freeney has a $1 million sack incentive. I am not so sure if that is the right way to go for Freeney though. QB pressures don't show up in the stat column but sacks do. So, a stat driven contract is what he signed. I guess the Cardinals found a way to motivate him, maybe??? I will root for him to do well, even as a rotational player that he will be used as.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1517/dwight-freeney

Pretty unlikely considering the way Freeney and the Colts parted ways that he would ever resign here.

I don't see how Freeney could ever be upset with the way the Colts parted ways with him. They allowed him to finish out his contract at a staggering 19M (5M pro-rated bonus + his base 14M) for his final year. They could have easily cut him and kept his base 14M for that year and invested it else where. I don't think Freeney would have been opposed to coming back here, but I'm not sure he would have provided any more than what Walden, Mathis, and Cole are already providing.   

I don't see how Freeney could ever be upset with the way the Colts parted ways with him. They allowed him to finish out his contract at a staggering 19M (5M pro-rated bonus + his base 14M) for his final year. They could have easily cut him and kept his base 14M for that year and invested it else where. I don't think Freeney would have been opposed to coming back here, but I'm not sure he would have provided any more than what Walden, Mathis, and Cole are already providing.   

No doubt the 14 mill was generous.

Arizona Front Office / Coaches > Colts Front Office / Coaches

and it's not even close, makes me kind of jealous.

It's incredible to me how people romanticize other teams and then nitpick their own. The Cardinals haven't drafted very well, and their free agent signings haven't been anything special. People kill Grigson over Donald Thomas, but have nothing to say about Mike Iupati, who costs more than twice as much.

Their coaching staff has been pretty good, but I definitely don't like Arians' offense.

Arizona Front Office / Coaches > Colts Front Office / Coaches

and it's not even close, makes me kind of jealous.

What are you complaining about now?!?

We re-signed Freeney in 2012 to see if he could fit in this offense,  and he didn't.

He signed with San Diego and stayed two years and didn't do all that much for them.

He was singed by no one this season........   and now Arizona signs him so you complain?!?

Where was Freeney going to play?      He's a pass rusher.     He's got guys like Mathis and Cole and Newsome in front of him.

But you remember what he once was and so you want him back again..........................

OK......    he doesn't fit the defense and there's no place to play him as we've got better options,  but if it gives you a chance to complain about how we screwed up again,  then go right ahead.....

SMH............

What are you complaining about now?!?

We re-signed Freeney in 2012 to see if he could fit in this offense,  and he didn't.

He signed with San Diego and stayed two years and didn't do all that much for them.

He was singed by no one this season........   and now Arizona signs him so you complain?!?

Where was Freeney going to play?      He's a pass rusher.     He's got guys like Mathis and Cole and Newsome in front of him.

But you remember what he once was and so you want him back again..........................

OK......    he doesn't fit the defense and there's no place to play him as we've got better options,  but if it gives you a chance to complain about how we screwed up again,  then go right ahead.....

SMH............

Wrong.

I don't want Freeney back, I just happen to admire the Cardinals for their game plan, it seems like they have one, us on the other hand it seems like we throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks.

It's incredible to me how people romanticize other teams and then nitpick their own. The Cardinals haven't drafted very well, and their free agent signings haven't been anything special. People kill Grigson over Donald Thomas, but have nothing to say about Mike Iupati, who costs more than twice as much.

Their coaching staff has been pretty good, but I definitely don't like Arians' offense.

I'd take Arians offense over the offense pep was running to get Luck killed any day of the week and 7 times on Sunday.

I'd take Arians offense over the offense pep was running to get Luck killed any day of the week and 7 times on Sunday.

I'll take Carson Palmer from the first 11 quarters of the season over Andrew Luck from the first 11 quarters. To me, that was the biggest difference, but yeah, as much as I don't like Arians' offense and play calling, their offensive staff is definitely better than ours has been this year. Our offensive staff seemed to make better decisions last year, though.

Wrong.

I don't want Freeney back, I just happen to admire the Cardinals for their game plan, it seems like they have one, us on the other hand it seems like we throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks.

The Cardinals have come a long way in a short time.    But that team had a fair amount of talent that wasn't being handled right when Arians took over.

Their franchise has not gone thru a near complete rebuild as the Colts have.    We're starting from much further back in the race.   

Arians has done a great job.   He's clearly one of the top coaches in the league.   And the front office has done pretty good as well.    But I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison.  

Just a different perspective.

I loved having Freeney, for his skills and for the leadership he brought to the locker room and the mentoring he did with our young players.  I was really sad when we cut him loose.  I'm not sure how much he has left, but I do know his heart is all in so he'll give it all he has.

My wife asked a couple of days ago if Freeney was still with the Chargers. I didn't realize he was cut. Glad someone is giving him a chance to do something.

My wife asked a couple of days ago if Freeney was still with the Chargers. I didn't realize he was cut. Glad someone is giving him a chance to do something.

I shouldn't have used the term "cut" he was just not brought back last year.  The team expressed their great gratitude for all he had done and meant to the team as well as sorrow at the parting, but must not have felt he had enough left to resign.