Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Trade That Actually, Just Might Work.

trade the first pick for several picks for the next 3 years. to a team who needs a QB bad. But not a team who will become a contender with the right QB. One in somehwat building mode. I'm sure theres just that team willing to make a trade. This way, if Peyton is healthy we can draft Peytons successor either next year or the year after. Our team will be much more built by then and hopefully we will have a couple more rings.

trade the first pick for several picks for the next 3 years. to a team who needs a QB bad. But not a team who will become a contender with the right QB. One in somehwat building mode. I'm sure theres just that team willing to make a trade. This way, if Peyton is healthy we can draft Peytons successor either next year or the year after. Our team will be much more built by then and hopefully we will have a couple more rings.

But Polian said that he feels he was fired for not having an adequate back up plan. So, any new GM..........i'm guessing, is gonna want one of those plans......cuz we don't have one now

But Polian said that he feels he was fired for not having an adequate back up plan. So, any new GM..........i'm guessing, is gonna want one of those plans......cuz we don't have one now

Exactly. Add to the fact, without knowing Manning's fitness, we don't even have a plan A...

We will take Luck. Then we need to figure out a way to get Justin Blackmon, too. That's 2/3rds of the way to getting the triplets like Dallas had in the early 90s. Then we need an RB and finally fix our O-line. Offense complete.

We could get Ashlon jeffery in 2nd rd or there is other great receivers we could get in 3rd as well

He said it in pregame of the Thursday night game.

Sorry but i watched that interview with eisen and never did he say we wont trade the pick. In fact he said we wont ever find another "manning". Not this draft or the next ten drafts. We dont need luck and if we take him we will be wasting our pick. When peyton comes back next year and takes us to the playoffs his last three years. We will be drafting right back where we normally do. Thats probably not gonna get the talent that luck will need when he takes over for peyton in four years.

Sorry but i watched that interview with eisen and never did he say we wont trade the pick. In fact he said we wont ever find another "manning". Not this draft or the next ten drafts. We dont need luck and if we take him we will be wasting our pick. When peyton comes back next year and takes us to the playoffs his last three years. We will be drafting right back where we normally do. Thats probably not gonna get the talent that luck will need when he takes over for peyton in four years.

He said if there is a great young QB available he wouldn't hesitate to take him. Of course he's not going to come right out and say it but if you use a little reasoning you can obviously see he's going to take Luck.

He said if there is a great young QB available he wouldn't hesitate to take him. Of course he's not going to come right out and say it but if you use a little reasoning you can obviously see he's going to take Luck.

That doesnt indicate luck. Their are quiet a few good prospect. We could take rg3 nick foles. Both of with we could trade down. They most likely wouldnt have a problem sitting. Especially nick foles. Being a top of the third or bottom of the second rounder. He has all the physical skills to be a good qb in this league. He just doesnt play for a big school so he goes unnoticed unlike an rg3 or luck or barkley

Here is the info on Foles. To me he sounds like the perfect candidate if we want someone to sit behind peyton and learn. His game isnt as polished as luck but he definetly has upside.

Strengths: Foles is a big athlete with good height and stands tall in the pocket to survey the field. He has good (not elite) arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes. Foles does a nice job evading pressure and stepping up in the pocket with improved pocket presence and awareness. He stays poised under pressure, keeping his eyes downfield. Foles throws well on the move and does a nice job shuffling his feet in the pocket to buy precious seconds. He is a very confident passer and shows very good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Foles sees the entire field and understands coverage. He makes quick reads and spreads the wealth (eight Arizona players had at least 20 receptions in 2011), showing better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Foles uses good technique, squaring his shoulders to the target and stepping into his throws. He also uses deceptive and deliberate ball fakes to hold defenses. Foles works through his progressions and is content with underneath throws, but is not afraid of taking chances downfield, trusting his big-play targets. He is a very good competitor and is a crafty passer, doing whatever it takes to compete the pass. Foles is comfortable handling the ball (used the shuffle pass numerous times, including three times vs. USC in 2011). He has improved anticipation as a passer, making much more throws before his target is out of his break. Foles made better decisions as a senior and didn't suffer his first interception until the fifth game of the 2011 season (210 attempts without a pick). He has a short memory and bounces back quickly from mistakes. Foles is a vocal team leader and an ideal teammate, showing field general traits in the two-minute offense with no quit in him. He has very good practice habits and work ethic, watching a lot of film. Foles plays calm, confident and very even-keeled - never gets too high or too low regardless of the situation. He plays with his heart and is extremely tough, often playing hurt and grinding through injuries. Foles was highly productive in college, finishing as the school's all-time leading passer (10,011 yards) and led the Pac-12 in passing yards (4,334), completions (387), attempts (560) and second in completion percentage (69.1%) as a senior in 2011.

Weaknesses: Foles is only an average athlete and has happy feet with the bad habit of hopping in the pocket. He has a bit of a wind-up delivery and needs to quicken his throwing motion. Foles tends to rush throws and lose his mechanics at times, which leads to erratic passes. He has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Foles doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like. He is sometimes too patient as a passer, holding the ball too long, and needs to improve his internal clock. Foles puts too much air in some of his throws, sailing several of his passes and needs to show lower trajectory on deep throws. He needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. Foles' accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much. He needs to take better control of the ball (33 career INTs). Foles' record as a starter was only 15-18, including a disappointing 4-8 senior season with his head coach being fired. He doesn't come from a complicated college offense with mostly shotgun formations so expect a learning curve in the pros. Foles dealt with several injuries the past two seasons, most notably a left knee and hamstring injury so durability is a minor issue.

That doesnt indicate luck. Their are quiet a few good prospect. We could take rg3 nick foles. Both of with we could trade down. They most likely wouldnt have a problem sitting. Especially nick foles. Being a top of the third or bottom of the second rounder. He has all the physical skills to be a good qb in this league. He just doesnt play for a big school so he goes unnoticed unlike an rg3 or luck or barkley

Ok. By the way, that scouting report makes him seem like he's Matt Hasselbeck.

Luck is going to be a Colts come the regular season. The only question is whether he's the starter or the 2nd stringer.

Ok. By the way, that scouting report makes him seem like he's Matt Hasselbeck.

Luck is going to be a Colts come the regular season. The only question is whether he's the starter or the 2nd stringer.

Dude your crazy. Nothing about that makes him sound like matt hasselbeck. He's 6 5 240 lbs and can make all the throws. How does that sound like matt hasselbeck. Your just like all the other fans on here that snatched on to the luck hype so bad that its the only thing you think we can do. I promise you this we take luck and that defense of ours is gonna suck for even longer.

If Luck and Peyton could not co-exist. I would pay Peyton his bonus, and ship him to the Jets for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a 1st in 2013

So your gonna ship off one of the greatest football players of all time for a guy that has never thrown a single pass in the nfl. A guy that has probably the best o line and run game in the ncaa and your gonna expect him to come here with this makeshift oline and average at best run game?

Dude your crazy. Nothing about that makes him sound like matt hasselbeck. He's 6 5 240 lbs and can make all the throws. How does that sound like matt hasselbeck. Your just like all the other fans on here that snatched on to the luck hype so bad that its the only thing you think we can do. I promise you this we take luck and that defense of ours is gonna suck for even longer.

First of all I guess that's my bad on your misunderstanding. I meant that at best Foles will be an average Quarterback like Hasselbeck is/was. Reading that scouting report I see nothing that warrants him as a potential heir to Peyton let alone a starter anywhere in the league.

Second of all I'm not "snatched" onto any hype. I'm fine with whatever plays out, but it's clear that with Peyton's health a concern and his age being a factor then Luck is the obvious choice for a rebuilding team.

I like colts20953's idea. Bite the bullet and pay Manning his option and then around draft time we trade him to the Jets or some other team that is willing to give up picks for him. With those picks you can build a team around Luck and then, Boom! We're right back to being possible contenders in 2013.

First of all I guess that's my bad on your misunderstanding. I meant that at best Foles will be an average Quarterback like Hasselbeck is/was. Reading that scouting report I see nothing that warrants him as a potential heir to Peyton let alone a starter anywhere in the league.

Second of all I'm not "snatched" onto any hype. I'm fine with whatever plays out, but it's clear that with Peyton's health a concern and his age being a factor then Luck is the obvious choice for a rebuilding team.

I like colts20953's idea. Bite the bullet and pay Manning his option and then around draft time we trade him to the Jets or some other team that is willing to give up picks for him. With those picks you can build a team around Luck and then, Boom! We're right back to being possible contenders in 2013.

Well for one cbssports who made they report obviously thinks he can be a starter in this league. It says right on there that he has the potential to be a starter. They know more about football than any of us on here. And btw if we pay him his option and then trade him we also pick up his salary. Still sound like a good idea? That would hinder this team far more by paying a player that isnt even producing for this team. I just cant fathom how ppl can want to get rid of the one person who made this team relevent. Without peyton indy would be lucky to even have a football team any more. We would be the ones relocating to LA.

when will people realize that Jim Irsay saying we will take a good QB if one is available doesnt indicate anything!

Its a game that has to be played. If he says we dont want Luck then there is no trade down value when other teams learn that. He has to say it! Regardless of if it is true or not. Any good businessman/smart person should be able to understand this concept!

Irsay's comments dont tell us anything.

Here is the info on Foles. To me he sounds like the perfect candidate if we want someone to sit behind peyton and learn. His game isnt as polished as luck but he definetly has upside.

Strengths: Foles is a big athlete with good height and stands tall in the pocket to survey the field. He has good (not elite) arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes. Foles does a nice job evading pressure and stepping up in the pocket with improved pocket presence and awareness. He stays poised under pressure, keeping his eyes downfield. Foles throws well on the move and does a nice job shuffling his feet in the pocket to buy precious seconds. He is a very confident passer and shows very good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Foles sees the entire field and understands coverage. He makes quick reads and spreads the wealth (eight Arizona players had at least 20 receptions in 2011), showing better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Foles uses good technique, squaring his shoulders to the target and stepping into his throws. He also uses deceptive and deliberate ball fakes to hold defenses. Foles works through his progressions and is content with underneath throws, but is not afraid of taking chances downfield, trusting his big-play targets. He is a very good competitor and is a crafty passer, doing whatever it takes to compete the pass. Foles is comfortable handling the ball (used the shuffle pass numerous times, including three times vs. USC in 2011). He has improved anticipation as a passer, making much more throws before his target is out of his break. Foles made better decisions as a senior and didn't suffer his first interception until the fifth game of the 2011 season (210 attempts without a pick). He has a short memory and bounces back quickly from mistakes. Foles is a vocal team leader and an ideal teammate, showing field general traits in the two-minute offense with no quit in him. He has very good practice habits and work ethic, watching a lot of film. Foles plays calm, confident and very even-keeled - never gets too high or too low regardless of the situation. He plays with his heart and is extremely tough, often playing hurt and grinding through injuries. Foles was highly productive in college, finishing as the school's all-time leading passer (10,011 yards) and led the Pac-12 in passing yards (4,334), completions (387), attempts (560) and second in completion percentage (69.1%) as a senior in 2011.

Weaknesses: Foles is only an average athlete and has happy feet with the bad habit of hopping in the pocket. He has a bit of a wind-up delivery and needs to quicken his throwing motion. Foles tends to rush throws and lose his mechanics at times, which leads to erratic passes. He has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Foles doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like. He is sometimes too patient as a passer, holding the ball too long, and needs to improve his internal clock. Foles puts too much air in some of his throws, sailing several of his passes and needs to show lower trajectory on deep throws. He needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. Foles' accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much. He needs to take better control of the ball (33 career INTs). Foles' record as a starter was only 15-18, including a disappointing 4-8 senior season with his head coach being fired. He doesn't come from a complicated college offense with mostly shotgun formations so expect a learning curve in the pros. Foles dealt with several injuries the past two seasons, most notably a left knee and hamstring injury so durability is a minor issue.

" Foles doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like"

this will doom him as a nfl qb! some qb's have it, some don't.

Well for one cbssports who made they report obviously thinks he can be a starter in this league. It says right on there that he has the potential to be a starter. They know more about football than any of us on here. And btw if we pay him his option and then trade him we also pick up his salary. Still sound like a good idea? That would hinder this team far more by paying a player that isnt even producing for this team. I just cant fathom how ppl can want to get rid of the one person who made this team relevent. Without peyton indy would be lucky to even have a football team any more. We would be the ones relocating to LA.

they probably say the top 5 at most positions can be starters. and they will be wrong on most of them.

I'm not saying that Foles won't be a starter but I meant that he won't ever be more than a solid back up.

I don't consider myself to know more than anyone else does. I don't know where you got that idea from.

No sentiment in football buddy. Sorry. If a player is injured or can't produce then he is going to be showed the door swiftly. Not saying that Manning can't play anymore, but for the good of the team it would be a much better option.

So your gonna ship off one of the greatest football players of all time for a guy that has never thrown a single pass in the nfl.

Yep I would. If Luck is what every scout and talent evaluator thinks he is, and if the two can't co-exist, I would trade Manning and not the pick. People here are loyal to Manning, I am to. Selfishly I want him as a Colt forever. However, If you trade the #1 pick yeah you might get alot of picks, but when it comes time for the young guys selected with those picks grow as players in 3-4 years, who's gonna be there to lead them at QB? Nobody that's who. Peyton will be gone or on his way out.

That is why IMO, if you have to do it, trade Manning for picks and stockpile explosive young players around Luck, and let them grow together.

I'm an Arizona fan so I've watched him play many of times. With help from Manning I think (yes I THINK, not will, ) he can be a great NFL QB. He has all the skills. His interception total can be credited to having a terrible supporting cast and being forced to do pretty much everything and has to make something happen he'll have to suffer another L.

If I were a GM, I would trade the pick and take Foles 2nd round.

Yep I would. If Luck is what every scout and talent evaluator thinks he is, and if the two can't co-exist, I would trade Manning and not the pick. People here are loyal to Manning, I am to. Selfishly I want him as a Colt forever. However, If you trade the #1 pick yeah you might get alot of picks, but when it comes time for the young guys selected with those picks grow as players in 3-4 years, who's gonna be there to lead them at QB? Nobody that's who. Peyton will be gone or on his way out.

That is why IMO, if you have to do it, trade Manning for picks and stockpile explosive young players around Luck, and let them grow together.

Completely agree. And with the 2012 1st round pick from the Jets, we could draft OG David DeCastro to make this OL one of the better groups in the NFL with adding Ijalana back from injury at RT. Id be completely fine with trading Manning if we could get two 1sts and maybe a 2nd rounder as well.

Who knows if Foles will be a great NFL QB?

Its about the odds.

It's like picking a promising stock

Some perform brilliantly, some dissapoint (I buy stocks high and seem to sell them low :ashamed: )

I have seen writers and scouts call Luck "the nearest thing to a can't miss prospect in many years"

I personally like Foles, and watched him play this last year.

He does many things well, but that slower delivery that you can get by with in College, will get you sacked or you will miss the split second of being open in the NFL.

The odds of getting a franchise QB seem to be much higher with the pick of Luck, then the pick of Foles

You have to go with the odds.... for my 2 cents (if its worth even that) and give your team the best chance to

draft a franchise QB.

The way the league is going, you will have trouble winning it all without that top flight QB

If Luck and Peyton could not co-exist. I would pay Peyton his bonus, and ship him to the Jets for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a 1st in 2013

There is no way the Colts are going to take a 28 million dollar cap hit that could hamper resigning other people. If we pay the bonus, Manning will play as a Colt. If he is not going to play as a Colt, we will let him walk. People do not seem to understand, if you pay him the bonus and trade him, the bonus hits your cap and only the annual salary goes with him to the next team. We can not afford a 28 million cap hit and not have a player on the roster who is a true super star.

If we draft Luck, consider Peyton gone. Luck has already stated that he will not sit behind any one. If we draft Luck, the defense will have to wait for another year or two to get any help. If we draft Luck, the offense will get all the good draft choices. If we draft Luck, the Colts will be low man in the AFC South for a long time. For all of you talking up Luck, remember that Stanford did not win the PAC-12, Oregon did by kicking Stanford's butt. In Stanford's bowl game, they barely won. If Luck is so good, explain that to me.

We will take Luck. Then we need to figure out a way to get Justin Blackmon, too. That's 2/3rds of the way to getting the triplets like Dallas had in the early 90s. Then we need an RB and finally fix our O-line. Offense complete.

I like the way you are thinking...except we have too many holes on the D to plug to pick this many offensive weapons. Manning makes up for a lot of the holes with the offense.

If we draft Luck, consider Peyton gone. Luck has already stated that he will not sit behind any one. If we draft Luck, the defense will have to wait for another year or two to get any help. If we draft Luck, the offense will get all the good draft choices. If we draft Luck, the Colts will be low man in the AFC South for a long time. For all of you talking up Luck, remember that Stanford did not win the PAC-12, Oregon did by kicking Stanford's butt. In Stanford's bowl game, they barely won. If Luck is so good, explain that to me.

I have heard this before...about Luck saying he won't sit...but where did you see this becuase his post game interview from the other night he said something to the effetc of just hoping he can play pro football and whatever the situation he was sure would be great.

Link please....

Andrew's "post game comments" were of this nature...

"such is life"... and "I will make the best of it" ,,, or ... "work hard"

??? where is the ultimatum?

ahh , up past his bed time... .. don't forget his baba...

:hello:

I'm an Arizona fan so I've watched him play many of times. With help from Manning I think (yes I THINK, not will, ) he can be a great NFL QB. He has all the skills. His interception total can be credited to having a terrible supporting cast and being forced to do pretty much everything and has to make something happen he'll have to suffer another L.

If I were a GM, I would trade the pick and take Foles 2nd round.

I agree. The analyst CBS Sports and Bucky Brooks of NFL.com has Foles rated with a higher football IQ than Luck.

We didn't go 0-13 because of the backup quarterback. Painter should have won at least 2 games, like the Chiefs for example. It was on the coaching in my opinion.