Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In a strange, warped way..one of our greatest wins

oldunclemark

This. Only fickle fans will get really excited about this win. It's nice to not be 0-3, but this team is not ready for the more elite teams we will face.

Lol @ "fickle" I guess being a fan of the colts for the last 15 years is "fickle"

We won man, enjoy it and let's hope this team can get things rolling again. This is the same staff and same team that went to the afc championship last year.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has done nothing to help gain confidence in the team. On the other hand, it has definitely raised more questions, many of the same questions.

I get where you are coming from but just think how much worse it would have been had they lost.  So the win was HUGE.  Maybe not so much for fan confidence but for the team's confidence in themselves.  There is much work that needs to be done.  Maybe this jumpstarts this team into playing better.  Who knows? 

Or how about this?

The team realizes that they suck and running screen passes and starts running Y Banana instead. The changes on the offensive line produce better protection and the offense starts running the ball effectively. Luck snaps out of his early season funk and starts playing like we know he's capable of. The penalties get cleaned up.

The defense gets their DBs back, and the coverage improves. The pass rush is able to consistently get push up the middle.

And maybe in a month, this team is playing high level football.

That people have already started tanking campaigns in Week 3 is pretty disappointing. I agree that a bad season every once in a while can be good for a franchise. But it's Week 3, our best player just started playing like he's our best player again, and there's a lot of football left.

Here's my issue with this. The first 3 quarters our offense was feast or famine. That's after the first 2 whole games they played the exact same strategy and still came out flat. Our offense is booming or bust right now and no in between. Of course until the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying to tank the season. But I do see results on the field that by common logic point to a grave issue in our organization above the players on the field. If we have a GM that isn't going to let a HC be a HC this issue will never go away. If we have an OC that is just a stale playcaller and he's the GMs pet then we are going to keep seeing awful offensive game plans. I don't understand if we have the best QB why do we have to be OK with having less than stellar coaching? It was the same way with Manning and it feels like a loop.

So yes it sounds all great if everyone starts playing better but that doesn't change the fact that we will eventually be out coached when it comes to the teams that matter as per the usual.

If I'm honest I've got mixed emotions right now. 

I mean I've been in GDay before when we've been down by more and in worse situations but hey I always believed in this team and fought the good fight against the doom and gloomers. They always seemed to be able to dig deep, but even with the turn around today it just didn't feel the same, I can't explain it past that. Just a gut feel, but a bad one. 

The important thing is the W, if we can go on and build from this then maybe it's not all over, but there's is obviously some severe issues behind the scenes and they need addressing. 

Will I call for them to lose every game from here on out to get the best pick? No. Will I call for them to lose so people lose their jobs? No. I support this team and trust me I've been in far worse places following a team, I'm just not feeling all candy drops and unicorns right now. 

That's a completely different feeling than openly rooting for your team to lose.

Every offensive play, I was bracing for a penalty or a turnover. Luck's two picks were awful. The penalties were demoralizing, and came close to completely derailing the team. The defense started coming apart after they had been on the field forever. I thought Luck was hurt (and he might be). Etc., etc. There's no candy drops and unicorns from me.

But I am NOT openly bemoaning a win because I want to see the staff fired and get a good draft pick. In Week 3.

I'm positive I was the only one to see this. .... But b4 we started that 98 yd td drive one of the tenn players said something to luck and he had the biggest grin on his face, I have no idea what could've been that funny when your down 27-14 in the 4th look dead at an 0-3 start but when I saw that and immediately started to feel confident and sure enough. ................

Here's my issue with this. The first 3 quarters our offense was feast or famine. That's after the first 2 whole games they played the exact same strategy and still came out flat. Our offense is booming or bust right now and no in between. Of course until the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying to tank the season. But I do see results on the field that by common logic point to a grave issue in our organization above the players on the field. If we have a GM that isn't going to let a HC be a HC this issue will never go away. If we have an OC that is just a stale playcaller and he's the GMs pet then we are going to keep seeing awful offensive game plans. I don't understand if we have the best QB why do we have to be OK with having less than stellar coaching? It was the same way with Manning and it feels like a loop.

So yes it sounds all great if everyone starts playing better but that doesn't change the fact that we will eventually be out coached when it comes to the teams that matter as per the usual.

on a roll man keep it up!

yup id rather lose and guarantee a top pick and new FO and coaching staff this team is no where near a SB team

I don't know. Crazier things have happened.

The good is that our run defense has definitely improved, and we will be getting back starters in the secondary soon. Pass rush needs to get better, I think a healthier Mathis will help but I'd like to see some Sio Moore.

We could also be one mod-season acquisition away from a competent O-line or just more chemistry. I have 100% confidence Luck will get his act together and I think our playmakers have a lot more to show.

We could also change coaches mid-season which could give us a boost. There's talent on this team, we just need to stop making mistakes.

That's a completely different feeling than openly rooting for your team to lose.

Every offensive play, I was bracing for a penalty or a turnover. Luck's two picks were awful. The penalties were demoralizing, and came close to completely derailing the team. The defense started coming apart after they had been on the field forever. I thought Luck was hurt (and he might be). Etc., etc. There's no candy drops and unicorns from me.

But I am NOT openly bemoaning a win because I want to see the staff fired and get a good draft pick. In Week 3.

QFT

The D was doing well but the O wasn't holding up it's end of the bargain... it was a painful watch. I just don't get how Luck can go from looking so bad to well... he tore apart Tenn in the 4th. Sure their D would be a little tired (emphasis on tired given how little they were on the field), but it was night and day. Momentum plays a huge part and the 2nd pick swung the game for us I feel, but even so. It's like if they say to Luck forget the play book, run up to the line, call a play and go go go he turns into a different QB. Plenty of time to dissect the game with a clearer head I think. 

For the now, as you say a W is a W. As they say people don't know how badly you played when they check the record books..... and yeah personally I think it's bad of a fan to want their team to lose. I don't normally go in for calling out people on their fandom but there's just some things you don't do. 

Trust me, I've got a bad draw in life when it comes to sports teams and I will moan and complain about them, but rooting for them to lose? Never.

I'm positive I was the only one to see this. .... But b4 we started that 98 yd td drive one of the tenn players said something to luck and he had the biggest grin on his face, I have no idea what could've been that funny when your down 27-14 in the 4th look dead at an 0-3 start but when I saw that and immediately started to feel confident and sure enough. ................

They asked him if he was the Andrew Luck who has cable...

Offense played terrible for the most part for 11 quarters. And that includes the QB. What happens if he has the junky play out of his system? Your comment about the QB being held back is kind of out of place right now; he's been awful, including most of today's game. 

Why can't we just wait and see what happens? Trust me, this is not a defense of the staff or the decision making so far. I'm not excited about what's going on right now (aside from the 4th quarter, especially Moncrief's TD; that has huge implications, IMO). But seriously, it's Week 3, and we're talking about wins being a bad thing???

We don't have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, but the Patriots were 2-2 after a month, and they looked awful. Again, it's Week 3.

I saw it too. I was like 'what in the world is he smiling at? Go make a play.' 

And he did.

Who cares if we won, WE BARELY DID. Our team still has a lot of problems

I care, along with a lot of other Colts fans. I realize we have problems, but the bottom line is we won. I'll take it and move on. If you want to be negative Nancy, that's OK. Geez, why can't we just celebrate a victory without being so negative? I would hate to be around you on a daily basis. Seeing the glass as half full isn't a bad thing.

Offense played terrible for the most part for 11 quarters. And that includes the QB. What happens if he has the junky play out of his system? Your comment about the QB being held back is kind of out of place right now; he's been awful, including most of today's game. 

Why can't we just wait and see what happens? Trust me, this is not a defense of the staff or the decision making so far. I'm not excited about what's going on right now (aside from the 4th quarter, especially Moncrief's TD; that has huge implications, IMO). But seriously, it's Week 3, and we're talking about wins being a bad thing???

We don't have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, but the Patriots were 2-2 after a month, and they looked awful. Again, it's Week 3.

This... all round the best play we had today for me. Luck actually threw a good fade (remember how bad he's been on those) and a big tall receiver went up and made a contested play. If Moncrief has got this in his locker now we've got some serious Redzone possibilities. 

Right not I'd put him in over AJ all day long. 

QFT

The D was doing well but the O wasn't holding up it's end of the bargain... it was a painful watch. I just don't get how Luck can go from looking so bad to well... he tore apart Tenn in the 4th. Sure their D would be a little tired (emphasis on tired given how little they were on the field), but it was night and day. Momentum plays a huge part and the 2nd pick swung the game for us I feel, but even so. It's like if they say to Luck forget the play book, run up to the line, call a play and go go go he turns into a different QB. Plenty of time to dissect the game with a clearer head I think.

For the now, as you say a W is a W. As they say people don't know how badly you played when they check the record books..... and yeah personally I think it's bad of a fan to want their team to lose. I don't normally go in for calling out people on their fandom but there's just some things you don't do.

Trust me, I've got a bad draw in life when it comes to sports teams and I will moan and complain about them, but rooting for them to lose? Never.

Luck always plays well in the hurry up. Its dumb that we don't use it more.

This... all round the best play we had today for me. Luck actually threw a good fade (remember how bad he's been on those) and a big tall receiver went up and made a contested play. If Moncrief has got this in his locker now we've got some serious Redzone possibilities. 

Right not I'd put him in over AJ all day long. 

I've been saying since we drafted him, that the only thing Moncrief is missing is a 'THIS IS MY BALL' mentality when the ball is in the air. His route running will get better, etc., but that mentality influences a lot of plays, and it made Larry Fitzgerald one of the best receivers in the league for a long time. 

Well, on that sluggo, Moncrief said THIS IS MY BALL, and it was. He outworked Revis on an option route last week. He highpointed a ball in the corner of the end zone this week. It might be over for DBs. 

But the issue I'm talking about doesn't span 3 weeks... we've had questionable personnel decisions and playcalling and for a while the blame seemed to be readily handled by Pagano but the dirty laundry is coming out pointing to a bigger issue.

I would've been fine if I haven't witness the degradation of the playcalling since Hamilton's first year where he came out running the ball to a fault and slowly became Arians offense 2.0.

I'd hate to wait and see on a year that Luck actually has a stable defense and talent in the offense. He has 2 playmaking safeties a formidable Dline and average Linebackers. The lack of pass rush is very concerning but also this is without a bunch of corners on the field.

It's funny you bring up the Patriots. The team that is willing to change anything and everything to get a win.

Again I'm not for tanking the season and I do love the win but it's hard to be overjoyed when you know that issues are still going to be there because past 2 years have given evidence that leads to no change.

Even at the end I don't think Luck played lights out. 

He's been pretty bad so far this season, and surprise surprise if you QB plays badly... 

I agree. He still missed some receivers (Gore on a dumpoff, most notably), and the TD to Dorsett was late and underthrown. And it doesn't matter because he made enough plays to lead us to the win. But seriously, if he could rip the Titans apart without clicking on all cylinders, then our high hopes for him in 2015 might still be in play.

But the issue I'm talking about doesn't span 3 weeks... we've had questionable personnel decisions and playcalling and for a while the blame seemed to be readily handled by Pagano but the dirty laundry is coming out pointing to a bigger issue.

I would've been fine if I haven't witness the degradation of the playcalling since Hamilton's first year where he came out running the ball to a fault and slowly became Arians offense 2.0.

I'd hate to wait and see on a year that Luck actually has a stable defense and talent in the offense. He has 2 playmaking safeties a formidable Dline and average Linebackers. The lack of pass rush is very concerning but also this is without a bunch of corners on the field.

It's funny you bring up the Patriots. The team that is willing to change anything and everything to get a win.

Again I'm not for tanking the season and I do love the win but it's hard to be overjoyed when you know that issues are still going to be there because past 2 years have given evidence that leads to no change.

We shuffled three spots on the offensive line today. That's a big change.

I'm not overjoyed. I'm taking the stance I am in this thread because it seems like a lot of people would rather see the team come apart so that they can keep banging on their whipping boys than see the team actually shake off this awful start and maybe play the way we thought they would to start off. 

I agree. He still missed some receivers (Gore on a dumpoff, most notably), and the TD to Dorsett was late and underthrown. And it doesn't matter because he made enough plays to lead us to the win. But seriously, if he could rip the Titans apart without clicking on all cylinders, then our high hopes for him in 2015 might still be in play.

That's the incredibly frustrating thing. Without wishing to offend another fan base, if your say the Browns, and you know you don't have the answer at QB you're not too disappointed with poor QB play. 

When you know you have a shed load of talent on the O, and when they click they're dangerous is frustrating to watch them look lost at times out there. 

Today's win may well only be a plaster on a severed artery but let's see how we roll next week.

That's the incredibly frustrating thing. Without wishing to offend another fan base, if your say the Browns, and you know you don't have the answer at QB you're not too disappointed with poor QB play. 

When you know you have a shed load of talent on the O, and when they click they're dangerous is frustrating to watch them look lost at times out there. 

Today's win may well only be a plaster on a severed artery but let's see how we roll next week.

I'm personally not even going to be excited about next week, regardless. This team has to play well against top notch teams at some point. Week 6 is the soonest we'll know whether the Colts can really contend this year.

We shuffled three spots on the offensive line today. That's a big change.

I'm not overjoyed. I'm taking the stance I am in this thread because it seems like a lot of people would rather see the team come apart so that they can keep banging on their whipping boys than see the team actually shake off this awful start and maybe play the way we thought they would to start off.

Right throw them to the side because we are bathing being realistic. I'm conversing with you because I need someone with sound logic to give me hope that things will change lol.

I agree we shuffled 3 spots and it was a big change. But because of all of the noise outside of the org who actually made this change? Because this change really didn't make much sense either. These are the issues I'm speaking of.

This imo was the worst game by the oline against weaker talent and mainly because of the change. So my worries going forward have everything to do with the direction of the team and the future. I'm not panicking about Luck. At least not yet. He can get out of a funk but I just don't want to see him do it alone. I want the OC to do something to alleviate his troubles. ..

I've got a ton of worry for this team

I'm personally not even going to be excited about next week, regardless. This team has to play well against top notch teams at some point. Week 6 is the soonest we'll know whether the Colts can really contend this year.

Very true but it would very Colts like to put in a good performance week 6 when we're 1-4 :P  

Kinda glad I'm not around next Sunday in some ways, I think I need a break for my nerves to recover!