Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat Kirwan is calling you out.

Narcosys

Who in the hell is Pat Kirwan?

He was a scout, asst. coach, and director of player personnel.  He's actually a pretty smart guy.  He has a show on the NFL Radio Channel on Sirius XM and out of all the sports talking heads I've ever listened to, he's my second favorite, behind Rick Venturi.  Guys like Kirwan and Venturi are about as football smart as you could ask for, so if he says something, he's probably right.  He's not the most entertaining, but I trust what he says.  He wrote a book called "Take Your Eye Off the Ball" and it is a book to that tells more avid football fans how to diagnose plays from a coaches perspective, how coaches game plan, offensive and defensive schemes (blocking, pass rush, coverages, etc.) and why players do and don't fit that scheme.  Great read for someone wanting to know more about the game.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirwan is right.  We are a spoiled fan base.  I don't think there's any issue with criticizing the Colts right now, they've played awful the past 2 games.  They were against pretty good teams, but we shot ourselves in the foot too many times.  I am on board with complaints about our lackluster play, but taking it overboard by saying Luck is regressing given his body of work the past 3 years because of 2 bad games is silly.  The Packers fanbase started last year 1-2 before Rodgers' responded to fans that sound not to dissimilar from Colts fans right now with infamous "Relax" quote - they went on to finish 11-2.  So Colts fans should just R-E-L-A-X.

Kirwan is right. We are a spoiled fan base. I don't think there's any issue with criticizing the Colts right now, they've played awful the past 2 games. They were against pretty good teams, but we shot ourselves in the foot too many times. I am on board with complaints about our lackluster play, but taking it overboard by saying Luck is regressing given his body of work the past 3 years because of 2 bad games is silly. The Packers fanbase started last year 1-2 before Rodgers' responded to fans that sound not to dissimilar from Colts fans right now with infamous "Relax" quote - they went on to finish 11-2. So Colts fans should just R-E-L-A-X.

Like my wife always says after I complain about a bad pass. "We could've had RG3, so think about that. "

Kirwan is right.  We are a spoiled fan base.  I don't think there's any issue with criticizing the Colts right now, they've played awful the past 2 games.  They were against pretty good teams, but we shot ourselves in the foot too many times.  I am on board with complaints about our lackluster play, but taking it overboard by saying Luck is regressing given his body of work the past 3 years because of 2 bad games is silly.  The Packers fanbase started last year 1-2 before Rodgers' responded to fans that sound not to dissimilar from Colts fans right now with infamous "Relax" quote - they went on to finish 11-2.  So Colts fans should just R-E-L-A-X.

I loved that quote.

Please do tell me what people were saying and Kirwan's responses. I'm curious.

Everything that's been said here. Fire everyone, O line is terrible, Luck is playing worse, etc. Etc.

Kirwan listened to them and recognized their concerns but I guess he's been hearing and seeing things not just on his radio segment and that's when he made that comment.

Some callers though are recognizing that we have problems but aren't calling for regicide. A bit extreme cause noone is a king, but you get the idea.

Everything that's been said here. Fire everyone, O line is terrible, Luck is playing worse, etc. Etc.

Kirwan listened to them and recognized their concerns but I guess he's been hearing and seeing things not just on his radio segment and that's when he made that comment.

Some callers though are recognizing that we have problems but aren't calling for regicide. A bit extreme cause noone is a king, but you get the idea.

I gotcha.  Yeah, some fans just react out to the extreme and I think a lot of times, it's just that fans don't know better and tend to see the worst in things.  The Colts have some serious issues, but the QB isn't one of them.  He's played a few bad games, it happens to even the greatest QBs.  That doesn't make them a liability to the team outside of those outlier games.  It does however, expose just how bad some of our problems really are.  Luck can cover a lot of guys mistakes, but when he doesn't play well, you see just who isn't covering Luck's mistakes.  Holmes, Herremans and Louis, I'm looking at you.  

All he did was clarify.

If you've followed the team since Pagano took over,  when he has he ever thrown ANYONE under the bus?!?

And think of the players where he could have done that....  TRich,  and DHB and Landry and on and on....   but he's never done that.     All he did was say something and it got taken the wrong way and he clarified what he said and what he meant.

That's the world we live in these days.   Remarks are taken out of context and then someone has to explain things.

But Chuck Pagano is not a guy who throws anyone under the bus -- much less Andrew Luck.

p.s. -- the only person I can think of where Pags has tossed someone under the bus was Werner after the AFC Championship game in January.     That's it.    In three-plus years.

Of course Pags didʻnt do it before...this team played for him when he was undergoing chemotherapy so youʻre right on that...but he is on his last year so itʻs a bit like being in a pressure cooker...he could explode anytime...he is still human...itʻs not trigonometry.

Listening to NFL radio now and the first thing I hear is Pat Kirwan calling out Colts fans. He initially says Colts fans are hitting the panic button way to early and, quite frankly, being pretty immature.

Talking about how blessed we've been with manning and now luck. The rest of the country, especially browns and raiders fans are laughing at us if we are panicking this quickly. Colts fans use to not panic so easily, even last year, so why now?

Says that the media hype, especially in indy, have blown this team way or of proportion and fed the fans into this frenzy. Now that we aren't steamrolling every team, all of a sudden the world is ending.

Way to go everyone.

So because other teams are used to mediocrity or worse, when our team looks worse than mediocre it's unfair to raise some concern?

Sure, this team was 0-2 at this time last year. But that number doesn't tell the story. Not even close. 

This team is 0-2, but there is something a lot more foul surrounding it than last year's 0-2 Colts. We were 0-2 and trending upwards last season. We're 0-2 and trending downwards this season. There are just as many problems on the field as off this year. The concern is real. 

Atleast browns fans don't whine and complain nearly as much after every loss.

Because they have low expectations, not because they are a more rational fan base.

Like my wife always says after I complain about a bad pass. "We could've had RG3, so think about that. "

So basically "things could always be worse" ... that's a terrible philosophy that encourages a mindset of complacency.  Unless a person or organization is satisfied with their current situation, their mindset should be "I/we can be be better and achieve more".

So because other teams are used to mediocrity or worse, when our team looks worse than mediocre it's unfair to raise some concern?

Sure, this team was 0-2 at this time last year. But that number doesn't tell the story. Not even close. 

This team is 0-2, but there is something a lot more foul surrounding it than last year's 0-2 Colts. We were 0-2 and trending upwards last season. We're 0-2 and trending downwards this season. There are just as many problems on the field as off this year. The concern is real. 

It's not about being used to mediocrity.  It's you're (royal you), reaction to the losses that other find immature and scoff at because of all the losses others have taken and are not flipping out about near like we are.  You need to look at it from an outside perspective and not let emotions get in the way of that perspective.  of having a sense of the world around you, and the not the world your living in.

Because they have low expectations, not because they are a more rational fan base.

So basically "things could always be worse" ... that's a terrible philosophy that encourages a mindset of complacency.  Unless a person or organization is satisfied with their current situation, their mindset should be "I/we can be be better and achieve more".

I disagree, they are not exclusive philosophies.  I see it as, be thankful for what you've got, realize this isnt the end and it can get better, and stop *ing so much.

He was a scout, asst. coach, and director of player personnel. He's actually a pretty smart guy. He has a show on the NFL Radio Channel on Sirius XM and out of all the sports talking heads I've ever listened to, he's my second favorite, behind Rick Venturi. Guys like Kirwan and Venturi are about as football smart as you could ask for, so if he says something, he's probably right. He's not the most entertaining, but I trust what he says. He wrote a book called "Take Your Eye Off the Ball" and it is a book to that tells more avid football fans how to diagnose plays from a coaches perspective, how coaches game plan, offensive and defensive schemes (blocking, pass rush, coverages, etc.) and why players do and don't fit that scheme. Great read for someone wanting to know more about the game.

It was just a play on Tobin's rant against Mel Kiper in the 90's. I know Pat.

Listening to NFL radio now and the first thing I hear is Pat Kirwan calling out Colts fans. He initially says Colts fans are hitting the panic button way to early and, quite frankly, being pretty immature.

Talking about how blessed we've been with manning and now luck. The rest of the country, especially browns and raiders fans are laughing at us if we are panicking this quickly. Colts fans use to not panic so easily, even last year, so why now?

Says that the media hype, especially in indy, have blown this team way or of proportion and fed the fans into this frenzy. Now that we aren't steamrolling every team, all of a sudden the world is ending.

Way to go everyone.

If someone is calling us out for panicking at this juncture, one should assume he doesn't believe there is reason to panic, and therefore things are not as bad as they seem. This seems like a "chill out dude" stance. I do not agree. Aside from a vague "Media hyped us up comment" I don't see how your stance is that of "hit the panic button and fire everyone immediately and put everyone on notice regardless of how much dead money you have"

I'm confused, the OP, me, is saying that we are kind if over hyped. Or atleast I was conveying what Pat Kirwan was saying. So what's you're stance? People need to calm down, or we panic?

We are over-hyped but that is no reason not to panic. The fact that we are over-hyped is cause for panic. We suck. We can't run the ball, and the defense knows exactly what we're doing almost every play. 

I am not happy about the start to the season...

I'm not sure what constitutes "panic" but I'm not close to that point, myself.

The silver lining in a situation like this is that the Colts have time and leeway to figure out how to get better. The AFC south is so weak that it takes a much worse meltdown than this to put Indy in jeopardy of missing the playoffs...

We've seen before that it's all about who gets hot come playoff time.

The losses and the play of the offense are disconcerting, but no reason to panic about the odds of home field advantage being slightly lowered...

Way to go everyone.

First of all, we are not all under one blanket. Many Colts fans lost their minds years ago. Some never had any sense to begin with. The way this season has started, it just brought the mentality of said fans out in the open.

Pat should know better than to put us all in one basket. There are only about 2 or 3 people on this board who I actually have any respect for.

The rest of the people are fakes who plagiarize other people's ideas and thoughts to post their own topics. Not many original bones on this board.

First of all, we are not all under one blanket. Many Colts fans lost their minds years ago. Some never had any sense to begin with. The way this season has started, it just brought the mentality of said fans out in the open.

Pat should know better than to put us all in one basket. There are only about 2 or 3 people on this board who I actually have any respect for.

The rest of the people are fakes who plagiarize other people's ideas and thoughts to post their own topics. Not many original bones on this board.

Tell us how you really feel, lol.

Zzzzz? Because you can't refute anything I said and that's your smart alec response? Waste of a post "Zzzzz" lol

Oh, I can refute plenty. I just tire of 'fans' like yourself who sensationalize and lack any real insight. Your post could have been a copy and paste of any one of the other 10,000 posts on this forum whenever the Colts go through a bad period... it gets old.

Then to top it all off, you want them to lose for a 'wake up call'... ha.

Oh, I can refute plenty. I just tire of 'fans' like yourself who sensationalize and lack any real insight. Your post could have been a copy and paste of any one of the other 10,000 posts on this forum whenever the Colts go through a bad period... it gets old.

Then to top it all off, you want them to lose for a 'wake up call'... ha.

Refute away my man.. :D

There are also plenty of fans like you who seemingly root for mediocrity and are perfectly ok with getting drubbed by good competition on a regular basis just as long as we win our division and make it to the playoffs. 

Your attitude is for the minor leagues. 

Refute away my man.. :D

There are also plenty of fans like you who seemingly root for mediocrity and are perfectly ok with getting drubbed by good competition on a regular basis just as long as we win our division and make it to the playoffs. 

Your attitude is for the minor leagues. 

haha this is brilliant.

Do you measure yourself on your 'major league' attitude toward the sports teams you follow?

I can only apologize of my inability to demand sustained greatness from a group of people I have never, and will never meet. How dare I not panic when they lose games.

The passion you exhibit whilst shouting vigorously at your television screen is clearly testament to the man you are today.

Actually I feel Colts fans have become too cocky and complacent. Years of success and always being in the playoffs have caused people to recently overlook very noticeable flaws and deficiencies within the organization.

I don't think people ever expect us to be an under achieving team like Ryan's Jets, the Smith Falcons,etc...

I don't think it's hitting the panic button as much as it is coming down to earth.

The atmosphere at LOS is similar to a regular season NBA game in the sense that it feels more like a cocktail event than a football game, IMO. Which is fitting because a majority of "Colts fans" only jumped on the bandwagon when the Pacers jumped into the stands.

That last sentence is pure crap

He was a scout, asst. coach, and director of player personnel.  He's actually a pretty smart guy.  He has a show on the NFL Radio Channel on Sirius XM and out of all the sports talking heads I've ever listened to, he's my second favorite, behind Rick Venturi.  Guys like Kirwan and Venturi are about as football smart as you could ask for, so if he says something, he's probably right.  He's not the most entertaining, but I trust what he says.  He wrote a book called "Take Your Eye Off the Ball" and it is a book to that tells more avid football fans how to diagnose plays from a coaches perspective, how coaches game plan, offensive and defensive schemes (blocking, pass rush, coverages, etc.) and why players do and don't fit that scheme.  Great read for someone wanting to know more about the game.

Yes, Movin' the Chains segment.  I took my forum motto from that show.  I like NFL radio more than the local ESPN radio stations most of the time.  Since I have the Sirius XM All Access package in our SUV, I can also stream it to my iPhone, iPad mini, or laptop.  I then bluetooth my phone to the radio when in my car, or wife's car.  I also like Gil Brandt and his perspective. Between Kirwan and Brandt, I feel I get a realistic outside look at where things appear to be at that moment.

Vic Carucci and Zig Fracassi I can put up with.  Howard David?    Hmmmm.....

haha this is brilliant.

Do you measure yourself on your 'major league' attitude toward the sports teams you follow?

I can only apologize of my inability to demand sustained greatness from a group of people I have never, and will never meet. How dare I not panic when they lose games.

The passion you exhibit whilst shouting vigorously at your television screen is clearly testament to the man you are today.

*goes 0-8* C'mon guys! You can do it! Let's go team! We're gonna make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl and no one will get fired!

This is the NFL, not kindergarten tee ball. The team has the same thoughts as the majority of us right now, as shown through their interviews and whatnot. If you don't care about the success of the team, why bother being a fan of them?

*goes 0-8* C'mon guys! You can do it! Let's go team! We're gonna make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl and no one will get fired!

This is the NFL, not kindergarten tee ball. The team has the same thoughts as the majority of us right now, as shown through their interviews and whatnot. If you don't care about the success of the team, why bother being a fan of them?

When did we go 0-8? More hyperbole... :facepalm:

The issue here is that the vast majority of posters on this forum lack any degree of insight or perspective. We are 0-2, we are talented, we have problems to fix, as do many teams. Super Bowls are not automatic for any team, you need a degree of luck and as good as you may be, not executing on a certain play, or your opponent simply executing better on a certain play, can make all the difference. The margins are thin between winning and losing... we are much better than all of the histrionic posters on here would have you believe. We will get our act together and we will be fine. That is not to say we will win the Super Bowl, but neither will 30 other teams.

And to say I don't care about the success of the team is just silly. I simply find the concept of a pragmatic perspective being 'minor league' - compared to the 'true fans' who call for heads on a weekly basis - to be laughable.

You're right. That's why a five year waiting list for season tickets dissipated after one 2-14 season?

So, Indy is like most other NFL cities? Green Bay and Pttsburgh had a hard time selling playoff tickets.

This just in: football is better on TV.

So, Indy is like most other NFL cities? Green Bay and Pttsburgh had a hard time selling playoff tickets.

This just in: football is better on TV.

No, they had a hard time selling tickets in general after one bad season. Green Bay and Pittsburgh do not have that problem. The tickets those cities had trouble selling were to a game when the temperature was going to be in the single digits and it was snowing. Not sure that's a great comparison for a team with a roofed stadium.

No, they had a hard time selling tickets in general after one bad season. Green Bay and Pittsburgh do not have that problem. The tickets those cities had trouble selling were to a game when the temperature was going to be in the single digits and it was snowing. Not sure that's a great comparison for a team with a roofed stadium.

The Malice At the Palace happened November 19th 2004. We had a 3 year period 2004-2007 where we were around the bottom of the league. BUT:

2008-1st

2009-2nd

2010-2nd

2011-2nd...That's right that dreadful year....2nd

2012-2nd

2013-3rd

2014-2nd

2015-4th so far

Your wrong about Pittsburgh as well

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2010/sort/homePct

haha this is brilliant.

The passion you exhibit whilst shouting vigorously at your television screen is clearly testament to the man you are today.

You still have offered no ideas or solutions how to improve... The only thing you fall back on is "well it's not that bad". I'd like to remind you that you are on a message board with Colts fans who are a little more passionate than your average couch potato. The purpose of this board is to discuss issues regarding "your team". Not to sit back and make fun of people who seem to know a little bit more about football and care a little bit more than you do. There is nothing wrong with being a ho-hum aww shucks type of fan, but don't call me out for discussing obvious glaring issues. If you want to hear something profound and original a sports forum isn't the place to be hanging around. 

While I do not yell at the TV.. I rarely change my posture during games.. But I'm pretty sure you don't even watch them. We need fans that support the Colts no matter what, I get it..

The most important measure you can give a football team is the eye test, and it's clear your "academic view" of Colts has led you to a false sense of hope.

So far all I've got from you was 1.) ZZZZ 2.) Crap about how I'm just like any other fan after I requested that you refute any of my first post 3.) More crap about how I like to yell and throw things at my TV LOL

You sir are a piece of work. If you're not going to respond to any of my questions and instead make veiled personal attacks, do us all a favor and don't respond. 

When did we go 0-8? More hyperbole... :facepalm:

The issue here is that the vast majority of posters on this forum lack any degree of insight or perspective. We are 0-2, we are talented, we have problems to fix, as do many teams. Super Bowls are not automatic for any team, you need a degree of luck and as good as you may be, not executing on a certain play, or your opponent simply executing better on a certain play, can make all the difference. The margins are thin between winning and losing... we are much better than all of the histrionic posters on here would have you believe. We will get our act together and we will be fine. That is not to say we will win the Super Bowl, but neither will 30 other teams.

And to say I don't care about the success of the team is just silly. I simply find the concept of a pragmatic perspective being 'minor league' - compared to the 'true fans' who call for heads on a weekly basis - to be laughable.

We have had the same problems the last 4 years. The fact that you're not ready to panic is very alarming...? wth is your major malfunction. 

It's not like we've just sprung some new problems this season that we've never seen before. 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Malice At the Palace happened November 19th 2004. We had a 3 year period 2004-2007 where we were around the bottom of the league. BUT:

2008-1st

2009-2nd

2010-2nd

2011-2nd...That's right that dreadful year....2nd

2012-2nd

2013-3rd

2014-2nd

2015-4th so far

Your wrong about Pittsburgh as well

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2010/sort/homePct

The percentage of people that attend a game relative to stadium size doesn't measure how many people are actually supporting the home team. I would say that the percentage used for away games would be a much better indicator of a teams fan base, and in that category the Colts rank in the bottom third almost every year, which is what you would expect.

The percentage of people that attend a game relative to stadium size doesn't measure how many people are actually supporting the home team. I would say that the percentage used for away games would be a much better indicator of a teams fan base, and in that category the Colts rank in the bottom third almost every year, which is what you would expect.

Do you have links to back up that claim?

Also this "No, they had a hard time selling tickets in general after one bad season" does not equal this "I would say that the percentage used for away games would be a much better indicator of a teams fan base,"

It didn't have anything to do with the temperature. Hell, they ice fish for god's sake.

Anyway, why should people plunk down money for season tickets if they not sure what the direction of the team is? Fans don't owe the franchise any kind of blind loyalty.