Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why don't we ever question the scouts?

bap1331

All this blame on grigson but I'm pretty sure the scouts are the ones who report to him with interesting players and they're really the ones who spend time with them one on one. Giants and patriots obviously have some of the best scouts for what they have accomplished.

Defense is really lacking on talent the past few years. Newsome is the very few who shined. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully we will see some improvement this year...

The Giants? haha

Really? Are you saying that just cause of ODB Jr.? haha

Team that didn't make the playoffs has better scouts? Makes sense

And a team that really only has a handful of "superstars" is your other choice?

Gronkowski

Brady

Hightower

McCourty

Edelman

Jones

Ninkovinch

Really about it. The rest are average, below average, or slightly above average. They just play well together

I mean their starting CB would be like a 4th on any other team. But hey, if you call that great scouting.... more power to you

:rantoff:

The Giants? haha

Gronkowski

Brady

Hightower

McCourty

Edelman

Jones

Ninkovinch

Really about it. The rest are average, below average, or slightly above average. They just play well together

I mean their starting CB would be like a 4th on any other team. But hey, if you call that great scouting.... more power to you

Jeez, TK

1. Take a sip, and count to 10.

2. Though I don't 100% agree with the OP, I'm less than 50% with your retort. Much of it is irrelevant.

Jeez, TK

1. Take a sip, and count to 10.

2. Though I don't 100% agree with the OP, I'm less than 50% with your retort. Much of it is irrelevant.

I'm calm, just voicing my part

You can't call out our scouts and then give 2 poor examples. Scouts impact the draft, and the 2 examples given don't exactly blow the draft away

ODB really has to be the only reason Bap listed the Giants

I'll give our scouts some credit. They cast a wide net and look all over the place for talent. The FXFL, Arena, and Canadian football leagues along with college football division I-III. If you have football talent, and your playing somewhere I think our scouts are as good as any at finding them. As far as decisions I think it is mostly on Grigson after that. I personally think Grigson is doing a good job. He has had hits and he has had misses, but in the end I think he is moving the team in the right direction. I think as he gains experience he will continue to get better.

The Giants? haha

Gronkowski

Brady

Hightower

McCourty

Edelman

Jones

Ninkovinch

Average enough to win a super bowl. They may atleast be average but the players the colts pick up are below average or inconsistent unlike the pats.

The fact that Danzelle Good made the team says something about the scouts.

He's from Marshall, right?

I think that is a great example of our scouting department going to work and digging. It was also great that they stumped Mike Mayock, he had no idea who Denzelle Good was.

You can't call out our scouts and then give 2 poor examples. Scouts impact the draft, and the 2 examples given don't exactly blow the draft away

Um no...they have a pretty talented defense but they can't prove it unless they are in the right system and proper coaches to teach them. And Eli Manning putting up points which he didn't do much last season.

Average enough to win a super bowl. They may atleast be average but the players the colts pick up are below average or inconsistent unlike the pats.

You might want to look over the last couple of drafts that the Giants have had. They have been sub par compared to what they were drafting in the past.

O.K., but I disagree with your reasoning.

From where we stand, there's not telling of who has a good, or bad scouting staff, and the Giants and Pats have long been regarded as having some of the best scouting staffs. 

Who am I to argue. They're both been successful teams.

And I don't agree with 'superstars' as being the measuring stick. This isn't basketball where you seemingly must have a couple in order to compete (to which the Spurs say hooey). You're much better off having a good solid mix of people who can play fundamentals as a team. That, and I only consider the Pats to have 2 superstars (Brady & Gronk), the others are pieces.

So, if the Giants and Pats aren't to be considered as having very good staffs, who are your picks, and why?

The entire process, from scouting to the draft, is an in-exact science.  Take the 2012 draft - of the first 7 picks, only Luck has done well consistently.  And this is for a group of players that the entire league essentially said at the time was the best of the best.  But  RG3, Trent Richardson, Matt Kalili, Justin Blackmon, Morris Claiborne and Mark Barron have all been busts to one degree or another.  Some are already out of the league and some will be very soon.

The point is the scouts can do their jobs as well as they possibly can and a player can still be an absolute failure as a player.  Is that the scout's fault - hard to make that claim.

The Pats win bc of the system...even in their "down" years they still win. Look at some of their talent and what they've done since leaving the Pats. Say what you want about their "shenanigans" but they can scout and BB can coach. They've beaten teams with far superior talent consistently.

As for our scouts...I'd say they've done a pretty decent job. Going from a complete rebuild and still winning....there is solid talent on this team. Grisgon had the final say, however. And he had made msitakes, yes. But spare me on the whole "we don't have any talent" stuff. We were a game away from the SB last year....ahead of schedule, IMO

People forget Grigson's football savy. It's not like he doesn't scout himself you know. He's a former scout. He's said before that he watches a lot of tape.

It's rare, but he occasionally goes to a pro-day himself. I think a lot of people think our scouting is just a bunch of guys walking into his office and saying "here's the top guys you should be looking at". Grigson does a lot of scouting himself too. It's not just all delegation. He's not Jerry Jones.

Plus it's his call. You don't pull the trigger on a guy just based on word of mouth.

Something else that hasn't been pointed out about Grigson is the fact that none of his Eagles teams ever won a championship. To be fair, maybe he didn't have enough time, and there were other factors beyond his control--coaching, management, etc. I guess time will tell in the case of the Colts.