Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is It Bad Qb Play Or Was Duron Carter Just Massively Overhyped?

RockThatBlue

Ok I got to ask...Whos john smith....Unless you mean D'Joun Smith...But he was a 3rd round pick....Guaranteed a roster spot unless he goes out and does something EXTREMELY stupid while not with the organization...Carter on the other hand has 1 catch on 5 targets on 61 snaps for 16 yards in 2 games and I hate to say it but until proven different living off his dads last name and some plays(A lot actually) in the CFL

With that said I think as he learns to high point the ball and gets more savvy at the position I think he has a chance to be good. But its going to be a process

Oh, Gavin . . . John Smith is just a generic name. It's a combo of the most common first name and last name of Americans.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I got to ask...Whos john smith....Unless you mean D'Joun Smith...But he was a 3rd round pick....Guaranteed a roster spot unless he goes out and does something EXTREMELY stupid while not with the organization...Carter on the other hand has 1 catch on 5 targets on 61 snaps for 16 yards in 2 games and I hate to say it but until proven different living off his dads last name and some plays(A lot actually) in the CFL

With that said I think as he learns to high point the ball and gets more savvy at the position I think he has a chance to be good. But its going to be a process

its a made up generic name to underscore the point that if Carter hadn't been so hyped coming in here (largely because of who his dad is) no one would be talking about him making the roster because he's done nothing in a game to show he belongs on a roster.

I just think Duron is a PS caliber player. He has a lot of raw tools but I don't think he is ready for NFL football. Hopefully Andre can teach him some this year and maybe someday he will be ready to help us on the field. He just doesn't get separation and he hasn't shown he catches well in traffic yet so I don't see how he helps the team.

I'm unimpressed by his first two preseason games.

Is it bad QB play or is he maybe not what we thought he would be?

He's had one catch so far in both games, that's not gonna get you a roster spot.

remember DA' Rick Rodgers......  he was the second coming of Jerry Rice...  Carter has been overhyped and so far only a practice hero.... needs to step up or step out of the picture.

Hasselbeck and Bennett have been trash the first 2 games, but that's what Carter's gonna have to work with, because he needs to earn his reps with the #1 offense. They're way too stacked at receiver to just let a CFL guy waltz in and start taking reps with Luck. He'll have his day with the 1s at some point, but for now I don't think we'll see much of him catching passes from #12.

Although if there were a week to see that, it'd probably be the week 3 preseason game, when the starters play almost 3 quarters. I could see Dorsett, Hilton, and Johnson only getting light work after what happened to Jordy Nelson, and that could open up some opportunities for Carter.

The could could give him a shot with Luck in there.....might help.

Still has to catch the ball no matter who is throwing it to him and he hasn't. Plus it is clear they are hoping he does something as a returner and the results there have been pretty awful too.

The thing with Whalen is that he does everything pretty well, but nothing exceptional. Kind of the swiss army knife of WRs. Carter seems to have nice big play capability, but won't see the field unless one of the other WRs gets hurt. He doesn't have better hands than Griff, or is he better at special teams (almost muffed a punt in the 4tr). I would rather see a guy who can contribute as the 5th WR in some way, and be a reliable insertion into a 3rd down play when someone gets dinged, rather than a guy who can only come in when someone gets hurt for more than a game, and needs a lot of practice during the week. It think that's what the PS is for.

If having better hands than Griff is the standard, then Moncrief is in trouble too. As for how he can contribute, I see him as a guy who can fight for contested balls in the corner of the end zone, by out-jumping and/or out-muscling the defender. Same for more or less anywhere he plays on the field.

I don't like Greg Doyel very much, but I had to laugh a little bit over his Duron Carter article.

Just rips into the guy basically.

Because it’s like I wrote earlier: The Colts are losing interest. Carter returned several early kickoffs Saturday, looking better than in his one return against the Eagles, when he didn’t muster enough enthusiasm to look “tentative.” The word tentative implies indecision, and on his kickoff return against the Eagles, Carter made his decision early: I don’t want to get hit.

Colts general manager Ryan Grigson was asked, as he shapes the roster, how he balances what a player does in practice vs. preseason games.

“Chuck (Pagano) and I both agree on that if we are going to find out about these guys, it is going to be in (game) situations and not particularly practice,” Grigson said. “It’s the games that really matter.

“They are the great frustration in this for coaches and for personal executives or scouts in general. Those guys that just do it out there on the practice field every day, but then they show up for game day. Was he even out there?”

Duron Carter was out there Saturday. Big guy, wearing No. 9. Riding that exercise bike like a champ.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/08/25/doyel-practice-phenom-duron-carter-go/32330299/

I don't like Greg Doyel very much, but I had to laugh a little bit over his Duron Carter article.

Just rips into the guy basically.

Because it’s like I wrote earlier: The Colts are losing interest. Carter returned several early kickoffs Saturday, looking better than in his one return against the Eagles, when he didn’t muster enough enthusiasm to look “tentative.” The word tentative implies indecision, and on his kickoff return against the Eagles, Carter made his decision early: I don’t want to get hit.

Colts general manager Ryan Grigson was asked, as he shapes the roster, how he balances what a player does in practice vs. preseason games.

“Chuck (Pagano) and I both agree on that if we are going to find out about these guys, it is going to be in (game) situations and not particularly practice,” Grigson said. “It’s the games that really matter.

“They are the great frustration in this for coaches and for personal executives or scouts in general. Those guys that just do it out there on the practice field every day, but then they show up for game day. Was he even out there?”

Duron Carter was out there Saturday. Big guy, wearing No. 9. Riding that exercise bike like a champ.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/08/25/doyel-practice-phenom-duron-carter-go/32330299/

Seems a little harsh for a guy who's base salary only has $25K in guaranteed money.

"Carter's contract is a three-year pact worth $1.575 million. There is no signing bonus in the contract, and of his $435,000 base salary, only $25,000 is guaranteed." - Via Stampede Blue

Still has to catch the ball no matter who is throwing it to him and he hasn't. Plus it is clear they are hoping he does something as a returner and the results there have been pretty awful too.

Exactly, if your an undrafted guy like Carter on a team as deep as the Colts are at WR you are going to have to prove you deserve to be on the field with Luck before they are going to put you out there with him.  To this point he hasn't.  I think that's why he's behind guys like Whalen and Brown on the depth chart at the moment and unless something changes in these two games he might very well be looking at a practice squad spot if that. 

Seems a little harsh for a guy who's base salary only has $25K in guaranteed money.

"Carter's contract is a three-year pact worth $1.575 million. There is no signing bonus in the contract, and of his $435,000 base salary, only $25,000 is guaranteed." - Via Stampede Blue

That's what I was kinda thinking. He is signed on a cheap contract and I haven't seen too much of all the hype anyone was referring to. What I remember reading was give him a flier and see what he can do. There were a few who made an issue over who he dad is but not really over hyped. He might be a NFL player someday but he will have to earn his spot. Seems like I remember where a few said they had doubts because he couldn't handle collage so he was a waist of time. If he can learn to run routes I see no problem in giving him some time being he has a cheap contract. The tape I watched of him didn't look bad. I know it was the CFL but he did make some nice catches no matter.

That's what I was kinda thinking. He is signed on a cheap contract and I haven't seen too much of all the hype anyone was referring to. What I remember reading was give him a flier and see what he can do. There were a few who made an issue over who he dad is but not really over hyped. He might be a NFL player someday but he will have to earn his spot. Seems like I remember where a few said they had doubts because he couldn't handle collage so he was a waist of time. If he can learn to run routes I see no problem in giving him some time being he has a cheap contract. The tape I watched of him didn't look bad. I know it was the CFL but he did make some nice catches no matter.

"and I haven't seen too much of all the hype anyone was referring to."

In all honesty...and this is NOT a poke at you or anything like that so don't take this wrong BUT....I don't know how you missed it...People were going as far as to say get rid of Hilton because we have other great WR's on the roster (which they included Carter in this). Some were campaigning to trade Moncrief and predicting Carter would be the #3 WR....It was all pretty ridiculous

Hassellback and Bennett look worst than Curtis painter on the field. In fact they look so bad that dorsett can barely catch anything with them. If either one of them started a regular season game for us we'd be lucky t I score 7 points a game.

Clearly the expectations about him were too high, but I also like to see him when Luck is on the field. The back-up QB play has been atrocious and really no other receivers stood out when Hasselbeck or Bennet played. I didn't even see a catch by Griff Whalen and he used to catch a lot of passes in preseason games. I have no idea why the 3rd QB is still on the roster because he prevents the staff to properly evaluate skill players. The 2nd QB hasn't helped much either.

Hard to make an impact when you're constantly playing with scrubs at o-line and a putrid QB. Get Duron some time with the ones like he did in training camp, and then he'll make plays.

You don't get time with the 1s just because people feel sorry for you. You get it by making plays and getting noticed. That's how Parry earned some snaps with the 1s. The fact is that Carter hasn't impressed enough to earn playing with Andrew. Bad QB play or not, its still his job to get open and catch passes, neither of which he has been exceptional at.

I find it funny though is all the people making excuses for him, but then saying he's the 5th WR. It's completely hypocritical to be upset that someone projected as the 5th WR should see time with the 1s in pre-season. It also shouldn't be surprising that he isn't that good. He's raw. People just over-hyped him based on camp reports. He's still just a developmental WR who probably belongs on the practice squad.

In all honesty...and this is NOT a poke at you or anything like that so don't take this wrong BUT....I don't know how you missed it...People were going as far as to say get rid of Hilton because we have other great WR's on the roster (which they included Carter in this). Some were campaigning to trade Moncrief and predicting Carter would be the #3 WR....It was all pretty ridiculous

Yes I read that too. That was only said by maybe 2 or 3 members as I recall. Hardly to be considered all the hype. There were just as many who didn't think too much positive things about it also. I cant remember how many pages that were covered on the subject but I don't think it was a bunch. I didn't take you comment as a "poke" at me I just didn't think there was that much made of him to call it hype. It could be as I have been in and out of the hospital over the last 3 months and maybe I missed a few threads?

Hassellback and Bennett look worst than Curtis painter on the field. In fact they look so bad that dorsett can barely catch anything with them. If either one of them started a regular season game for us we'd be lucky t I score 7 points a game.

I agree. Maybe it's time for the Colts to look for a backup QB just in case (god forbid) Luck gets injured.

I would like to see what Carter can do with the #1s before passing judgment on the guy.  So far his kick returns have been underwhelming.  I think Tyler Varga has done a better job there than Carter has.

But hopefully this week we will at least see him with the #1s for a bit and see what he can do.  If not then I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved to the PS.  Heck, I've seen more out of Brown than I have of Carter.  Carter just seems to disappear when he runs routes.

I would like to see what Carter can do with the #1s before passing judgment on the guy.  So far his kick returns have been underwhelming.  I think Tyler Varga has done a better job there than Carter has.

But hopefully this week we will at least see him with the #1s for a bit and see what he can do.  If not then I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved to the PS.  Heck, I've seen more out of Brown than I have of Carter.  Carter just seems to disappear when he runs routes.

Carter shouldn't even be a returner to begin with. His size is just kinda wrong for it in my opinion. Varga is much smaller and shiftier. Carter could improve with the #1's I feel like. He definitely showed it in camp. He was catching everything, could be just nerves.

Carter shouldn't even be a returner to begin with. His size is just kinda wrong for it in my opinion. Varga is much smaller and shiftier. Carter could improve with the #1's I feel like. He definitely showed it in camp. He was catching everything, could be just nerves.

If it is nerves contributing to his showing thus far, isn't that horrible sign for actual games that count?  

Exactly, if your an undrafted guy like Carter on a team as deep as the Colts are at WR you are going to have to prove you deserve to be on the field with Luck before they are going to put you out there with him.  To this point he hasn't.  I think that's why he's behind guys like Whalen and Brown on the depth chart at the moment and unless something changes in these two games he might very well be looking at a practice squad spot if that. 

The glass half full side of me says that maybe there is some legit talent there worth developing and his showing to this point makes it easy to stow him on the PS without the fear of other teams pursuing him.  The realistic side of me believes he has played himself off the roster altogether.

If it is nerves contributing to his showing thus far, isn't that horrible sign for actual games that count?  

I wouldn't say horrible but it's not a great sign. He will just have to get more comfortable, nerves will eventually dissipate.

That's a good point.  Maybe theyre using him there just to get him some game time experience?  I would imagine he is over the nerves aspect of it by now... I mean he did play in the CFL in live game situations... He has been performing well in practice... at least he was during camp from all reports... Just odd that it hasn't turned into game day production.

That's a good point.  Maybe theyre using him there just to get him some game time experience?  I would imagine he is over the nerves aspect of it by now... I mean he did play in the CFL in live game situations... He has been performing well in practice... at least he was during camp from all reports... Just odd that it hasn't turned into game day production.

I'm not really reading into it too much anyway. I witnessed him having a pretty good day at camp so I'm not even worried about it. Especially since we have AJ, TY, Moncrief and probably even Dorsett in front of him in the line up. We're stacked and he's just a bonus to have in my opinion.

I'm not really reading into it too much anyway. I witnessed him having a pretty good day at camp so I'm not even worried about it. Especially since we have AJ, TY, Moncrief and probably even Dorsett in front of him in the line up. We're stacked and he's just a bonus to have in my opinion.

True... I wouldn't say I am worried about it... just find it odd.  Maybe he will show something tomorrow night... or not.  Like you said, he isn't anywhere near the top of the depth chart so its nothing to critical right now... Would just be nice to see SOMETHING out of him in a game before the season starts....

He isn't going to with all but 1 pass thrown his way having been thrown by a QB that's arguably not even worth a PS spot at this point...Though I think Bennett will be stashed on the PS just in case we need a 3rd QB. Carter is going to have to show he can do what he has been taught and not worry about the production because I doubt that comes unless he gets more snaps with Hasselbeck or a shot with the 1's just for preseason

True... I wouldn't say I am worried about it... just find it odd.  Maybe he will show something tomorrow night... or not.  Like you said, he isn't anywhere near the top of the depth chart so its nothing to critical right now... Would just be nice to see SOMETHING out of him in a game before the season starts....

He probably won't show anything tomorrow since the game is on Saturday. :P But yeah, some production would be nice to see.

So I must've missed the thread that mentioned trading Hilton or Moncrief and keeping Duron Carter, sounds like I didn't miss out on anything that was worth my time. But I think it's equally ridiculous to bash and slam a guy, or think we can make any type of real evaluation, after 2 preseason games where he's running his routes with 2 dead-armed QBs throwing to him.

Yes I read that too. That was only said by maybe 2 or 3 members as I recall. Hardly to be considered all the hype. There were just as many who didn't think too much positive things about it also. I cant remember how many pages that were covered on the subject but I don't think it was a bunch. I didn't take you comment as a "poke" at me I just didn't think there was that much made of him to call it hype. It could be as I have been in and out of the hospital over the last 3 months and maybe I missed a few threads?

There was no hype for Duron Carter outside of this forum, so to say he was "massively overhyped" is funny to me. Andrew Luck had hype, Jameis Winston has hype. Duron Carter, not so much. Instead, there was just a few people who entertained the idea that maybe he could play his way into a stacked NFL receiving corps, which could still happen.

The next two games are going to say a lot about who Carter is I think.  I mean that's some decent pressure to get your name blasted all over the IndyStar criticizing your play and your just an 5th or 6th string player.  The real ballers who want greatness get offended by stuff like that and come out swinging.  If Duron is who I think he could be I'm expecting a much better showcase over these final 2 games.  I'm also hoping the coaching staff will make better attempts to give him some targets out there.  Preferrably with Hassleback because that low level Kapernick wannabe Bennett can't read the field worth much.   Seems like Hassleback went out of his way to target Darick Rogers when he was here.  Hopefully we'll see him do the same with Carter.

There was no hype for Duron Carter outside of this forum, so to say he was "massively overhyped" is funny to me. Andrew Luck had hype, Jameis Winston has hype. Duron Carter, not so much. Instead, there was just a few people who entertained the idea that maybe he could play his way into a stacked NFL receiving corps, which could still happen.

There was major hype for Carter on this forum. Why is outside the forum relevant? This forum, any and all fan forums, constantly overhype their own players.

Also, Carter did receive a lot of buzz from reporters and Colts fan sites as well (such as stampedeblue), not just this forum.

There was major hype for Carter on this forum. Why is outside the forum relevant? This forum, any and all fan forums, constantly overhype their own players.

Also, Carter did receive a lot of buzz from reporters and Colts fan sites as well (such as stampedeblue), not just this forum.

Outside of the forum is relevant because "massively overhyped" implies that a lot of people besides the folks that are here everyday are talking about him. I include sites like Stampede Blue and colts.com in that assessment, because I know half of the people here are on those sites as well.

But, I also actually know a few Colts fans who've never even heard of him. They watch the games every Sunday like the rest of us, but following every transaction and every training camp play just isn't how they roll. More power to them.

As for everyone on the forum, people were excited to bring him in and see what he could do at the NFL level, myself included. I wouldn't call that "massive hype." Hype, to me, would go something like "this guy is the missing piece the Colts have been looking for to make their Super Bowl run," and I just don't remember anyone saying that.

And why is everyone already so down on him after 2 preseason games anyways? "We need to see more production, blah blah blah" Why? He's literally the cheapest player on the roster right now, and people are expecting to see flashes of Randy Moss in his first 2 NFL meetings vs someone other than Colts defenders? I guess I just think we should try to exercise a little more patience, that's all.