Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Geathers could start for us

C0lts088

He says why he thinks that in the article because the position was so inconsistent last year with Brown and Landry.

He also says the newly acquired Lowry has started every game his been eligible the last 3 years.

I think Lowry is the starter at least to begin the season based on experience.

It's great everyone is excited about the rookies including staff. I am too on paper looking good. I think predicting a rookie to start before ever seeing him in pads let alone live action is a bit premature

Geathers might eventually start for the Colts.

But I wouldn't count on it.

If it gets to the point where he's playing meaningful snaps beyond special teams -- then that's great.    A win for the Colts.

Just don't expect it.    It'll be a happy surprise for all if he does....

If it gets to the point where he's playing meaningful snaps beyond special teams -- then that's great.    A win for the Colts.

Just don't expect it.    It'll be a happy surprise for all if he does....

I realize he's a 4th rounder, but not only have we heard good things about him, but Safety is arguably our weakest position on the entire team. If he can't beat out Lowery by the end of the year, then that's just sad.

I realize he's a 4th rounder, but not only have we heard good things about him, but Safety is arguably our weakest position on the entire team. If he can't beat out Lowery by the end of the year, then that's just sad.

hearing good things about someone before the pads are on is meaningless

If Lowery comes in and just plays like 100% garbage for multiple games, then I'm sure the coaching staff may give him a whirl as starter.

Well......  I hope so, but I have seen some garbage play from some OL that went on game after game, after game.....

:)

I think he will get many snaps, but not start..... yet

He may come in if someone is running the ball on us well. 

He may come in, in some nickle packages

I am excited by this prospect........ 

We haven't had a DB enforcer, since Little Bob played.... (when Healthy)

Geathers is a thumper!

If it gets to the point where he's playing meaningful snaps beyond special teams -- then that's great. A win for the Colts.

Just don't expect it. It'll be a happy surprise for all if he does....

Unless those meaningful snaps come due to injury. That kind of goes without saying, but I thought I'd say it anyway, haha.

And why is that? What if Lowery turns out to be much better than expected, like Mike Adams was last year?

again meaningless. wait til camp

If Dorsett and our other rookies were struggling, people would be talking about firing Grigson. It does matter. It may not matter with veterans because you've seen them, but when your first impression of a rookie is terrible, it's not good. The reason I brought up Kevin White was that he's 4th on the Bears depth chart right now. No Bears fan is thinking that's "meaningless". If Dorsett was struggling and dropping passes in OTA's, people would be furious on these boards.

And why is that? What if Lowery turns out to be much better than expected, like Mike Adams was last year?

Then it will be a good thing. Until proven otherwise though, safety is our weakest position and Lowery was signed in hopes to be a temporary starter until Geathers learns the ropes and passes him up. Geathers is a 4th rounder, not a UDFA that is a sentimental favorite of the Colts board. He should be the starter at latest at the beginning of next year.

Then it will be a good thing. Until proven otherwise though, safety is our weakest position and Lowery was signed in hopes to be a temporary starter until Geathers learns the ropes and passes him up. Geathers is a 4th rounder, not a UDFA that is a sentimental favorite of the Colts board. He should be the starter at latest at the beginning of next year.

Your efforts in this thread have once again been less than stellar.

1) it is not in the same ball park of sad if Geathers does not beat out Lowery this year.

2) No colt fan worth listening to would be calling for grigsons head on the sole basis of Dorsett looking poorly in OTA's.

3) the fact that Dorsett and Geathers look good in shorts while encouraging is still meaningless now

4) the fact that white and Sherff don't reportedly look so good now does not mean they won't look like players in September.

People here decided that Lowery was bad, but I think he can fit our defense well. His signing gives us two experienced starters at safety, and if Geathers does get on the field, it will be on merit or because of injury, or both. Not because Lowery is no good.

People here decided that Lowery was bad, but I think he can fit our defense well. His signing gives us two experienced starters at safety, and if Geathers does get on the field, it will be on merit or because of injury, or both. Not because Lowery is no good.

That and the fact that Pagano was Secondary coach for the Ravens in 2009 when Landry had his best year in terms of making plays on the ball.......Not that that would mean much because to be honest it could have been just coincidental but he is here now and going to be starting so Im hoping he has a big year

If Dorsett and our other rookies were struggling, people would be talking about firing Grigson. It does matter. It may not matter with veterans because you've seen them, but when your first impression of a rookie is terrible, it's not good. The reason I brought up Kevin White was that he's 4th on the Bears depth chart right now. No Bears fan is thinking that's "meaningless". If Dorsett was struggling and dropping passes in OTA's, people would be furious on these boards.

rookies are still getting use to the nfl so you expect them to struggle, the fact that dorsett and geathers can play in shorts doesnt mean anything if they cant play in pads and  players actually getting rough on them 

rookies are still getting use to the nfl so you expect them to struggle, the fact that dorsett and geathers can play in shorts doesnt mean anything if they cant play in pads and  players actually getting rough on them 

Basically you do expect them to do well in shorts, I grant you that. It's an early test that you are supposed to show flashes of what you can do in pads. For the rookies that struggle though, it can be a bad sign. Doesn't mean they'll be a bust, but it can mean they are slow developers or just don't understand the offense or defense (depending on their position). When you see them thriving, it's often a good sign going forward. Also, depending on the position (a wr or cb/s for us), they can show off some skills in shorts with the no contact rules in OTA's. Don't completely dismiss the performance and Pagano's words, he knows more than us.

I can remember when the Titans drafted Chris Johnson.  I don't remember much media hype from the draft about him.  You began to read and hear things that he was doing some special stuff.  So, I'm of the opinion not to disregard good news from OTAs or camp.  It might not mean anything or it might be a sign of things to come.   You keep hearing from everyone about Dorsett's speed being amazing.  I think that's something to be excited about.

That and the fact that Pagano was Secondary coach for the Ravens in 2009 when Landry had his best year in terms of making plays on the ball.......Not that that would mean much because to be honest it could have been just coincidental but he is here now and going to be starting so Im hoping he has a big year

Are you talking about Dawan Landry? He is not a Colt.

I believe Kevin White is banged up

umm.. are you sick? lol

Way I see it, Grigson/Pagano have said a few times,: "We are Drafting players to contribute immediately." This makes me think some of the top picks were grabbed to play now.  Maybe not as starters, but at least for quality rotation until one shows dominance over the other.  Already spoken as using Geathers as a dime package LB.  If he performs well enough there he could be looking at a more prominent role.  But yes, I'm sure they want to see them in pads first.  Defense is one side of the ball you cannot make judgments on until they are allowed to hit in pads.

A 4th rounder should not have to be a starter to meet expectations, regardless of the weakness at a position on any team. They're making the transition from college to the pros. If Geathers doesn't start at all next year, it shouldn't be a sad thing at all.

A 4th rounder should not have to be a starter to meet expectations, regardless of the weakness at a position on any team. They're making the transition from college to the pros. If Geathers doesn't start at all next year, it shouldn't be a sad thing at all.

I guess we see things a bit differently. I'm basing it more on the strength (or weakness) of the position, combined with where he was drafted. I believe if he is as good as a normal 4th rounder, that will be good enough to get playing time at the very least and a starter's role down the road. A lot of that is based on how weak we are at Safety, not that a 4th rounder is a guaranteed starter in this case.

Remember....

One year ago at this time,  no one was saying anything positive about Mike Adams,  and look what he turned into.

Perhaps we'll get lucky again and Lowery will turn into this year's version of Mike Adams?    Or not.    But it's possible.

Either way,   I wouldn't get down on Geathers if he doesn't earn a starting job in his rookie year.    It just might not work out that way.....  

Remember....

One year ago at this time,  no one was saying anything positive about Mike Adams,  and look what he turned into.

Perhaps we'll get lucky again and Lowery will turn into this year's version of Mike Adams?    Or not.    But it's possible.

Either way,   I wouldn't get down on Geathers if he doesn't earn a starting job in his rookie year.    It just might not work out that way.....  

Absolutely, Lowery could be solid, he isn't a guarantee. I want either him or Geathers to step up, should be a 50/50 competition. I hope it's best man wins and Lowery is at the age (29) where if he turns into Mike Adams, it's a big win for us. Here's to a big battle at S, and hopefully if Geathers wins outright, he is named the starter. If Lowery wins, I'm fine with that as well and we can let Geathers develop.