Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Geathers could start for us

C0lts088

Geathers will need a pre-season like Bethea had in 06'

Bethea was a 6th round pick (not that it should really matter where your drafted)... But I have high hopes for Geathers, esp watching his tapes; he's by far the best safety of his class

Bethea was a 6th round pick (not that it should really matter where your drafted)... But I have high hopes for Geathers, esp watching his tapes; he's by far the best safety of his class

Far too early to label him as the "best" safety drafted in the 2015 draft. And when referring to Bethea, he played lights out in the pre-season that year as a rookie and earned his spot on the roster as a starter opposite of Bob Sanders. For Geathers to out play and shine Lowery, he's going to have to look unstoppable in preseason.

I realize he's a 4th rounder, but not only have we heard good things about him, but Safety is arguably our weakest position on the entire team. If he can't beat out Lowery by the end of the year, then that's just sad.

Bet you knew nothing about Lowery before we signed him.LOL

And you appear to have no respect for his past play. Kind of like you haven`t bothered to check him out. JMO.

I wonder if you caught the buzz on Geathers being used as an ILB?? That seems to be where they liked him at so far.

Your efforts in this thread have once again been less than stellar.

1) it is not in the same ball park of sad if Geathers does not beat out Lowery this year.

2) No colt fan worth listening to would be calling for grigsons head on the sole basis of Dorsett looking poorly in OTA's.

3) the fact that Dorsett and Geathers look good in shorts while encouraging is still meaningless now

4) the fact that white and Sherff don't reportedly look so good now does not mean they won't look like players in September.

Few Rookies Wr`s & O-Lineman look like players in September.

Reggie caught 29 balls his Rookie year with the GOAT.

This kid don`t know ____! diddly

He says why he thinks that in the article because the position was so inconsistent last year with Brown and Landry.

He also says the newly acquired Lowry has started every game his been eligible the last 3 years.

I think Lowry is the starter at least to begin the season based on experience.

It's great everyone is excited about the rookies including staff. I am too on paper looking good. I think predicting a rookie to start before ever seeing him in pads let alone live action is a bit premature

I think if Geathers starts from week 1, we probably have something special in him!  Starting a rookie over an experienced vet, who has started previously means alot!

http://www.chatsports.com/indianapolis-colts/a/Colts-Potential-Starters-Rookie-Safety-Clayton-Geathers-2-11532381

Another breakdown of the Lowery/Geathers fight for the safety position.

The last statement in this column is the most heartening IMO:

"Regardless, the Colts have two above average options at strong safety heading into 2015 and that is a distinct improvement over last season."

http://www.chatsports.com/indianapolis-colts/a/Colts-Potential-Starters-Rookie-Safety-Clayton-Geathers-2-11532381

Another breakdown of the Lowery/Geathers fight for the safety position.

The last statement in this column is the most heartening IMO:

"Regardless, the Colts have two above average options at strong safety heading into 2015 and that is a distinct improvement over last season."

That site's a piece of %. It's a complete mess on my phone.

That site's a piece of %. It's a complete mess on my phone.

ah, i have add blocker on my comp to cut out that stuff.  So many sites nowadays have 10 billion pop up's, you cannot navigate without an adblocker anymore.  But the site is "horseshoe heroes".  on chat sports.  Basicly says Geathers or Lowery could start, and that Lowery was an upgrade to either of our SS starters last year having been graded at a +1.3 compared to the negatives our previous ones had.

ah, i have add blocker on my comp to cut out that stuff. So many sites nowadays have 10 billion pop up's, you cannot navigate without an adblocker anymore. But the site is "horseshoe heroes". on chat sports. Basicly says Geathers or Lowery could start, and that Lowery was an upgrade to either of our SS starters last year having been graded at a +1.3 compared to the negatives our previous ones had.

I read it, it was just very hard. The bolded isn't true and the article didn't say that. Landry and Brown both graded positively last year, even more so than Lowery. That being said I like Lowery and think he'll be a good player for us.

I read it, it was just very hard. The bolded isn't true and the article didn't say that. Landry and Brown both graded positively last year, even more so than Lowery. That being said I like Lowery and think he'll be a good player for us.

After re-reading it, you're right, it did not say they were in the negatives.  I know i read somewhere that Lowery was an "upgrade" to both of them somewhere today though, and that probably just got mixed in the mess.  My apologies.

But really, with the way Pagano can take 'average' pass defenders and make them better, I think Lowery has a shot at being much better.  And with Geathers having a 'clean slate' when it comes to learning NFL safety, he should pick up Pagano's teachings even faster.  All in all, i think our Pass defense has a chance to be very good this year.

After re-reading it, you're right, it did not say they were in the negatives. I know i read somewhere that Lowery was an "upgrade" to both of them somewhere today though, and that probably just got mixed in the mess. My apologies.

But really, with the way Pagano can take 'average' pass defenders and make them better, I think Lowery has a shot at being much better. And with Geathers having a 'clean slate' when it comes to learning NFL safety, he should pick up Pagano's teachings even faster. All in all, i think our Pass defense has a chance to be very good this year.

As you originally quoted from that article:

That definitely implies they like Lowery and Geathers much more than Landry and Brown, so that's likely what you're referring to.

I guess we see things a bit differently. I'm basing it more on the strength (or weakness) of the position, combined with where he was drafted. I believe if he is as good as a normal 4th rounder, that will be good enough to get playing time at the very least and a starter's role down the road. A lot of that is based on how weak we are at Safety, not that a 4th rounder is a guaranteed starter in this case.

Yeah draft position means very little.If the Colts phases in Collins than that means that they believe Geathers could be just as good. And I don't see why he couldn't. I was really hoping we would get Collins but if people think it's likely he'll start because of the Giants huge hole at safety, then why can't Geathers? He's in basically the same position. We shouldn't look at him as just a mid rounds rookie. That's selling him short. But that doesn't mean we should have the same expectations of him as a 1st rounder.

What we should all do is evaluate him the same way the coaches probably will. Based on what he does as a player, nothing else. If he shows he can offer more than Lowery, then let him start. First experience, what happened last season, or draft position.

Yeah draft position means very little.If the Colts phases in Collins than that means that they believe Geathers could be just as good. And I don't see why he couldn't. I was really hoping we would get Collins but if people think it's likely he'll start because of the Giants huge hole at safety, then why can't Geathers? He's in basically the same position. We shouldn't look at him as just a mid rounds rookie. That's selling him short. But that doesn't mean we should have the same expectations of him as a 1st rounder.

What we should all do is evaluate him the same way the coaches probably will. Based on what he does as a player, nothing else. If he shows he can offer more than Lowery, then let him start. First experience, what happened last season, or draft position.

Can't place a whole lot of relevant eval. when the players are in shorts, but they just had an article on NFL.com a couple of days ago focusing on how the Giants safety positions are progressing very slowly.  Won't be able to tell until the live actions starts, but I think Geathers was the better value pick up than Collins assuming Geathers can improve his open field tackling.  He's physical just like Collins, but needs to come down hill with more control to avoid some of those missed tackles he was commiting.   I like his size, speed, and football intelligence.