Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles release Evan Mathis [Merge]

21isSuperman

And really, at this point Bill has earned the right to do whatever he wants with his track record and the line did come together to help with the SB so... Kelly does not have that type of latitude.

Like I said, one was a move made by the Pats and one wasn't.  Time to move on. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We double a D Lineman(particularly with the Center) to much with our Guards. we make it easy for a ILB to just be patient and make the play on the RB..... just shoot the gap opened up by the helping Guard..... when the idea should be to get that Guard up on that ILB creating an automatic running lane

I think we had Shipley and Harrison over-committing to the double team. And we had a lot of turnover at RG, so it was sloppy at times.

But the goal of the counter runs is to move the defense and get one side of the field light, and then the ILB is out of position. That doesn't matter if the back can't get to that light side.

Situations are/were completely different ... please see my post to NFLfan ...

I'd rather not, seeing as you admitted that ol' Bill has a track record and Chip doesn't, which is why you think what you do.

We double a D Lineman(particularly with the Center) to much with our Guards. we make it easy for a ILB to just be patient and make the play on the RB..... just shoot the gap opened up by the helping Guard..... when the idea should be to get that Guard up on that ILB creating an automatic running lane

:D

Situations are/were completely different ... please see my post to NFLfan ...

I don't think the situations are that different, IMHO. I agree with the other poster who said that if it was BB making this decision, you probably would not have had a problem with it. All the Pats fans I know were furious that BB traded Mankins, saying he was their best offensive lineman and needed to protect Brady. However, at the time, you defended BB.

I am not familiar with Planet Patriots that you referenced earlier. I am pretty sure that you wrote here that the Pats had to trade Mankins because they needed to re-sign free agents like McCourty (and maybe Revis).

I don't think the situations are that different, IMHO. I agree with the other poster who said that if it was BB making this decision, you probably would not have had a problem with it. All the Pats fans I know were furious that BB traded Mankins, saying he was their best offensive lineman and needed to protect Brady. However, at the time, you defended BB.

I am not familiar with Planet Patriots that you referenced earlier. I am pretty sure that you wrote here that the Pats had to trade Mankins because they needed to re-sign free agents like McCourty (and maybe Revis).

I was not thrilled with the trade especially the timing of it right before the start of the season but understood it given that is how the Pats operate when it comes to aging players on large contracts. Most Pats fans felt the same if you were on PP forum. Some did also dislike it as well but most understood that is how Bill does things.

I never mentioned Revis (he was already signed) or McCourty so perhaps you have me confused with someone else. I think the first month of the season had all Pats fans, myself included, fuming when the Oline was a mess and Brady was taking hit after hit. As I said in a previous post, Bill has earned that right given he has built the most successful franchise of the past 15 years and did fix the Oline last year on the way to his 4th title.

I think with Kelly it is not just this release but his entire off-season that has been head scratching. He now has had two pro bowl players in Jackson and Mathis that he has released and gotten nothing for in return. And on top he really hurt Mathis by releasing him this late - a pretty jerky move IMO. At least Bill got something for Mankins and found a team to pick up his salary. Again, I more question Kelly's overall off-season not just this release. The Oline may end up being fine but it is big risk given how injury prone Bradford is ...

I was not thrilled with the trade especially the timing of it right before the start of the season but understood it given that is how the Pats operate when it comes to aging players on large contracts. Most Pats fans felt the same if you were on PP forum. Some did also dislike it as well but most understood that is how Bill does things.

I never mentioned Revis (he was already signed) or McCourty so perhaps you have me confused with someone else. I think the first month of the season had all Pats fans, myself included, fuming when the Oline was a mess and Brady was taking hit after hit. As I said in a previous post, Bill has earned that right given he has built the most successful franchise of the past 15 years and did fix the Oline last year on the way to his 4th title.

I think with Kelly it is not just this release but his entire off-season that has been head scratching. He now has had two pro bowl players in Jackson and Mathis that he has released and gotten nothing for in return. And on top he really hurt Mathis by releasing him this late - a pretty jerky move IMO. At least Bill got something for Mankins and found a team to pick up his salary. Again, I more question Kelly's overall off-season not just this release. The Oline may end up being fine but it is big risk given how injury prone Bradford is ...

He didn't release Maclin, he traded McCoy. Nothing that head scratching really. Maclin got way over paid and he replaced McCoy with one great back and a decent 2nd. He also picked up a promising young lber

He didn't release Maclin, he traded McCoy. Nothing that head scratching really. Maclin got way over paid and he replaced McCoy with one great back and a decent 2nd. He also picked up a promising young lber

I was talking about the release of Jackson not Maclin.

I was so sure you had written it that I went back and found it. Here is what you wrote:

"I see this as purely a business move. He is 32 and was due to make big money the next two years. Also, with the moves the Pats made in the draft to the OL they should have a replacement. It remains to be seen though who will fill his shoes. Mankins has definitely not been the same player the last couple of years but still the captain of the O line. This kind of reminds me of the Seymour trade when he was 30. Surprising on one level but when you look at the business side of it better to move on now and get something and save the money. They needed to free up money for McCourtny and Revis anyways."

http://forums.colts.com/topic/30383-logan-mankins-traded-to-tampa-bay/page-2

Regarding Chip Kelly's moves, I would not be pleased if I was an Eagles fan. Kelly seems to want to get rid of all the players that was acquired by his predecessors. Like you, many Eagles fans are wondering why he did not try to get something--anything--for Mathis. The Dolphins, the Bills, and the Vikings were reported to have been interested in Mathis. I am sure other teams were too. I am happy he is not the coach/GM of my team.

I was so sure you had written it that I went back and found it. Here is what you wrote:

"I see this as purely a business move. He is 32 and was due to make big money the next two years. Also, with the moves the Pats made in the draft to the OL they should have a replacement. It remains to be seen though who will fill his shoes. Mankins has definitely not been the same player the last couple of years but still the captain of the O line. This kind of reminds me of the Seymour trade when he was 30. Surprising on one level but when you look at the business side of it better to move on now and get something and save the money. They needed to free up money for McCourtny and Revis anyways."

http://forums.colts.com/topic/30383-logan-mankins-traded-to-tampa-bay/page-2

Regarding Chip Kelly's moves, I would not be pleased if I was an Eagles fan. Kelly seems to want to get rid of all the players that was acquired by his predecessors. Like you, many Eagles fans are wondering why he did not try to get something--anything--for Mathis. The Dolphins, the Bills, and the Vikings were reported to have been interested in Mathis. I am sure other teams were too. I am happy he is not the coach/GM of my team.

He tried, Teams were afraid he would hold out I guess

And now he can be had without giving up a draft pick

Yup. I think I'd do this. Give him a contract similar to Trent Cole's, with some incentives for staying healthy, extra bonuses for Pro Bowl or All Pro, and put him at LG. Get rid of Cherilus, move Mewhort to RT. Renegotiate Donald Thomas to vet minimum with playing incentives, and if he's not interested, release him. Cap figures don't really change, but we upgrade the roster, and we have an extra roster spot for a camp leg kicker (which I assume is on the way anyways). 

Two years, $13m, can reach $15m with incentives, guarantee $7.5m of it, 2015 cap hit $6.5m.

He said Mathis has been on the trade block since the 2014 offseason.

Yup. He asked for a raise two years ago and when he was told no, asked if he could be traded. Chip told him to pursue a trade and his agent couldn't get a single offer in two years.

Guys, he's not getting anywhere near 8 million. If a team where willing to pay him 8 million (even 5.5) they would of atleast thrown a 7th at him. And nobody did. Remember, this guy has been openly shopped for 2 years now. He'd be lucky to get 4M... I would personally love Mathis any price 2M-5M, but I just don't think it's realistic, I think our spending is over. 

But a OL of Costonzo/Mathis/Holmes/Herremans/Mewhort is really easy to fall in love with. Also makes Cherilus 100% expendable and still leaves us with adeqeuit depth (Thomas, Riets, Cherilus, Harrison, Thorton, Louis, Heenan). 

Boy... I better stop talking about this before I talk myself into thinking it's a realistic possibility :(

That seems strange to me if true that not one team would trade for him.

His contract wasn't cheap and he's 34. I'm Not surprised one bit that nobody wanted to give up picks for his contract, at his age.

Same reason the Eagles made the right move by not giving him more money.

I never saw this report from John Clayton......

from the inbox

Q: With the recent release of Evan Mathis from the Eagles, what do you see as the chances that he may wind up in Denver? He hasn't found a trade partner for two years and a minimal contract with a chance to shine and potentially go to the Super Bowl is better than no money. It may not be the best fit for Denver either, but they are needy at O-line and he definitely would be an upgrade.

Ben in Knoxville, Tennessee

A: The Broncos aren't among the four main teams looking at Mathis (Indianapolis, Kansas City, Miami and San Francisco). Though he would be big upgrade at guard, I don't see them having enough money to make the move.

I never saw this report from John Clayton......

from the inbox

Q: With the recent release of Evan Mathis from the Eagles, what do you see as the chances that he may wind up in Denver? He hasn't found a trade partner for two years and a minimal contract with a chance to shine and potentially go to the Super Bowl is better than no money. It may not be the best fit for Denver either, but they are needy at O-line and he definitely would be an upgrade.

Ben in Knoxville, Tennessee

A: The Broncos aren't among the four main teams looking at Mathis (Indianapolis, Kansas City, Miami and San Francisco). Though he would be big upgrade at guard, I don't see them having enough money to make the move.

How can Denver not have the money with Manning taking the cut and FAs they let go?

How can Denver not have the money with Manning taking the cut and FAs they let go?

Because John Clayton doesn't know what he's talking about. The Broncos might not be looking at Mathis, but they have the cap space to sign him if they want.

Because John Clayton doesn't know what he's talking about. The Broncos might not be looking at Mathis, but they have the cap space to sign him if they want.

That is what I thought. I wonder why they are not looking at him? Perhaps they feel is too old at the price he wants.