Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae appears #59 on NFL Top 100 List

12isthenew18

I wonder who's ahead of him... Harris Jr, Sherman, Revis,peterson for sure... then grimes, talib. Just wait till next year, he will be a top 30 player and a top 3 corner. ( already is but he will get recognized ).

it would be a joke if Peterson is above Vontae.  IMO the only ones with arguments are Revis, Sherman, and Harris (in that order).

Found this article when debating Davis' place on the list. Would love to hear some feedback from everyone else on it.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2014/film-room-vontae-davis

Considering that was posted after week ~5 of the season and we now know after all 16 weeks Davis didn't give up a TD all season and he had the worst QB rating against him amongst CBs and he does it almost exclusively on an island . . . The author of that FO piece can kindly kiss my *.

Found this article when debating Davis' place on the list.  Would love to hear some feedback from everyone else on it.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2014/film-room-vontae-davis

I'm not really interested in where Davis is ranked on this list. But I would like to point something out. Per FO's breakdown (based on presnapreads.com's charting and grading), they discerned Davis had 89 qualifying man coverage snaps through the first five games of the 2014 season. That's 17.8 / game.

Per the same source, in 2013 -- the best year of Richard Sherman's career, most would say -- Sherman had a total of 238 qualifying man coverage snaps. Over a 19 game season (including their playoff run), that's 12.5 / game. Based on that alone, it suggests that Sherman has man coverage responsibilities about 70% as much as Davis.

As an aside, the Seahawks coverages often look like man when they really aren't, so we're using the best judgment of someone else; I wonder how many of those qualifying man coverage snaps are actually zone. Davis plays in a defense that almost never plays zone. The Colts also played fewer total defensive snaps in 2014 than the Seahawks did in 2013.

This just illustrates that Sherman plays less man coverage than Davis (and the other top notch corners).

http://presnapreads.com/2014/02/19/richard-sherman-the-numbers-the-tape-the-verdict-2014/

Who's talking about Josh Norman? Come on. He's not a bad corner, but he isn't a top tier CB either. He's not even a real number 1. The top corners are Revis - Davis - Sherman - Harris Jr, and after that its debatable between several others like Grimes, Haden, etc. The way Jimmy Smith looked the year before last he'd be the 5th best corner.

• 4 weeks later...

For a guy who didn't give up a passing TD all season and didn't have Robert Mathis bull rushing the QB.. I'd say he should have made the top 50. The guy can tackle as well and had some pretty decent hits as well.

just ask gio bernard haha

Vontae wont get recognized til he starts covering the best wide out.. haden , peterson and revis do what the best are spose to do.. Sherman get recognized for his amazing hands, which leads to big plays.. vontae just doesnt make plays.. you guys just repeat that hit on bernard over n over.. most nfl fans only see highlights.. and sadly vontae is never on the highlight reels

Vontae wont get recognized til he starts covering the best wide out.. haden , peterson and revis do what the best are spose to do.. Sherman get recognized for his amazing hands, which leads to big plays.. vontae just doesnt make plays.. you guys just repeat that hit on bernard over n over.. most nfl fans only see highlights.. and sadly vontae is never on the highlight reels

So getting constantly burned and giving up 8 TDs with a ~97 QBR on the season is what the best are supposed to do?

"Most NFL fans" don't know what the # they're talking about, so I don't see how that's relevant.

Plus, Davis had the same amount of ints as Sherman and more than the rest of your list. Tied for the 2nd most ints in football. Oh, yeah and he gave up 0 TDs . . . So . . .