Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

La’El Collins’ reps says if he’s not selected in rounds 2 or 3, he’ll not sign a contract with NFL team & resubmit his name for ’16 draft

On the assumption that he's innocent of any and all possible charges,  I think the kid got a raw deal from the NFL.

And I hope if he's not drafted tonight,  either the league holds a supplemental draft for him sometime this summer,    or he comes back around next year....

The kid could be a victim of just bad timing....

Of course,  if there's fire to the smoke,  then all bets are off.

I've never seen it happen. If it were an option wouldn't several undrafted players do the same?

No. Most UDFAs are such because they aren't good enough to be drafted. Even if it's due to character issues, those issues mostly likely aren't going away overnight. The typical undrafted player isn't going to suddenly have better draft stock in a year.

In Collins case, his name is being connected to a murder investigation. He may have had nothing to do with it, at all, and in two weeks, it might be absolutely clear that he didn't do anything wrong. In that case, if he were to enter the draft again next year, he'd like be a mid-round pick, at the very least. The problem is that he'd be postponing his eventual free agency by a year, but it could mean $6-8m over the first four years of his career. 

Got to believe several teams are on phone with his agent tonight (as well as sources close to crime situation) finding out if if there is any new developments and if he really intends to set out. 

UDFA's get offered a signing bonus (last I knew, limited to $ 80,362.00 for all UDFA per team). If they make practice squad, they get that pay. If the make the 53 man roster, they get NFL mandated rookie minimum (non guaranteed) minimum pay.

So UDFA  will sign for biggest signing bonus offer (team is serious about you), and target teams based upon them having need at their position, and sometimes choose teams with the ability to win.  It's a bidding war on a small scale out there...

UDFA's get offered a signing bonus (last I knew, limited to $ 80,362.00 for all UDFA per team). If they make practice squad, they get that pay. If the make the 53 man roster, they get NFL mandated rookie minimum (non guaranteed) minimum pay.

So UDFA  will sign for biggest signing bonus offer (team is serious about you), and target teams based upon them having need at their position, and sometimes choose teams with the ability to win.  It's a bidding war on a small scale out there...

I think you can guarantee whatever you want for a UDFA, though. Technically, you could guarantee all three years.

He should have talked to Ifo's insurance agent...

I think you can guarantee whatever you want for a UDFA, though. Technically, you could guarantee all three years.

He should have talked to Ifo's insurance agent...

Yeah, I guess you can, but UDFA usually sign for a small signing bonus (2 - 10 thousand) and at rookie minimum contract pay, not guaranteed, if they make the squad.  Practice squad pay if relegated to PS.

You can, but UDFA usually sign for a small signing bonus (2 - 10 thousand) and at rookie minimum contract pay, not guaranteed, if they make the squad.  Practice squad pay if relegated to PS.

UDFAs aren't usually first round guy who fell out of the draft due to extenuating circumstances. They don't usually get guaranteed money because they aren't guaranteed talents. 

I would have no problem signing Collins to a fully guaranteed deal, so long as the guarantee was conditional on him not being implicated in this murder investigation. If he's clean, he's not a practice squad player, he's probably our starting RT. 

I know the signing bonus is restricted, and obviously the contract length and value is restricted, but we can sweeten the pot and get him on our team.

UDFAs aren't usually first round guy who fell out of the draft due to extenuating circumstances. They don't usually get guaranteed money because they aren't guaranteed talents. 

I would have no problem signing Collins to a fully guaranteed deal, so long as the guarantee was conditional on him not being implicated in this murder investigation. If he's clean, he's not a practice squad player, he's probably our starting RT. 

I know the signing bonus is restricted, and obviously the contract length and value is restricted, but we can sweeten the pot and get him on our team.

^^

I agree, give him the max and most favorable UDFA contract allowed ... I got to think if we are offering the max allowable we would be one of the teams at the top of list with a very good chance of getting him  ... since even he can probably see our RT spot is open for him to step right into this year or next at latest on a team "knocking at the door".

This incident kinda blows up the theory that NFL teams will take murderers if they can play

...all 32 teams passed because they're worried that there's an outside chance he killed somebody.

Maybe we should commend all 32 teams

I think it more just proves his agent is an imbecile that should have kept his mouth shut.  Have to believe at least 1 team would have used a late round pick on first round talent on the hopes he wasn't involved but there became no point when the agent told the world Collins wouldn't sign.  Teams take awful character guys with immense talent all the time in late rounds.

I think it more just proves his agent is an imbecile that should have kept his mouth shut.  Have to believe at least 1 team would have used a late round pick on first round talent on the hopes he wasn't involved but there became no point when the agent told the world Collins wouldn't sign.  Teams take awful character guys with immense talent all the time in late rounds.

Or his agent was smart and made sure he wasn't drafted late so he was able to choose his team and become an NFL FA sooner.

Or his agent was smart and made sure he wasn't drafted late so he was able to choose his team and become an NFL FA sooner.

Nope. If he was the last pick in the draft, it would have been better than an UDFA. Then he could have re-entered next year, where he would have likely been a 2nd-3rd round pick, 

There's no scenario where UDFA is better. 

Nope. If he was the last pick in the draft, it would have been better than an UDFA. Then he could have re-entered next year, where he would have likely been a 2nd-3rd round pick, 

I thought I had read if he gets drafted and refused to sign he could NOT get re-drafted the following year.....

I thought I had read if he gets drafted and refused to sign he could NOT get re-drafted the following year.....

No, the opposite. If he was drafted, he could not sign and re-enter. If he went undrafted, he couldn't re-enter the next year.

I saw a calculation where if he gets the max udfa salary, plus a first round tender when he becomes a restricted free agent he'd end up making more than all players other than around the top 40 picks. It probably is better for him to choose his team seeing those numbers and become a free agent sooner than sitting out the year and hoping to go in the second or third round next year. This way gets him to real money 2 years quicker if he's the player he's projected to be.

^^

I agree, give him the max and most favorable UDFA contract allowed ... I got to think if we are offering the max allowable we would be one of the teams at the top of list with a very good chance of getting him  ... since even he can probably see our RT spot is open for him to step right into this year or next at latest on a team "knocking at the door".

It will be limited by our salary cap and all the other UDFA's we want to sign...

$$ room is not unlimited either...  both salary cap and UDFA signing bonuses...

It will be limited by our salary cap and all the other UDFA's we want to sign...

$$ room is not unlimited either...  both salary cap and UDFA signing bonuses...

I think we will reach the max allowed for a UDFA contract before our salary cap would become an issue.  

We could leave just enough for a few rock bottom contracts; but If we could get Collins, every other UDFA that we brought in after the draft is expendable.

It could be better, just depends .... being an UDFA he gets to choose his team and become a FA in 3 years 

If gets drafted and re-enters the draft next year who knows who or where he is drafted ... so much can go wrong during that year off as well .... then he gets drafted next year and is on a 4 year deal (instead of 3); so between the extra contract year plus the year he sits out that's 5 years before he hits FA ... He could easily come out ahead by being UDFA. 

It could be better, just depends .... being an UDFA he gets to choose his team and become a FA in 3 years

If gets drafted and re-enters the draft next year who knows who or where he is drafted ... so much can go wrong during that year off as well .... then he gets drafted next year and is on a 4 year deal (instead of 3); so between the extra contract year plus the year he sits out that's 5 years before he hits FA ... He could easily come out ahead by being UDFA.

He could get tendered and play 4 years on an UDFA contract. Also, this works under the assumption that he doesn't suck or suffer a severe injury before his second contract that could tank his value.

Money now > money later

He could get tendered and play 4 years on an UDFA contract. Also, this works under the assumption that he doesn't suck or suffer a severe injury before his second contract that could tank his value.

Money now > money later

I know what you are saying, but sitting out a year he certainly isn't getting "money now" ... and if he fell to a mid round pick next year the money difference is even less significant.

I am not saying there isn't a risk, but there's risk either way ... He could also get hurt in the year off, or do something to hurt his draft stock in some other way; doesn't seem like he would be spending that year away in the best of environments ... a year away from the game, and a whole new group of new players getting all the "buzz"; who knows where he gets drafted ... I am just saying sitting out a year and re-entering the draft wasn't necessarily the obvious better choice, there are positives and negatives regardless.  

The only thing for sure is if he doesn't have anything to do with the crime he got a really raw deal.  Personally I think the NFL should have let him go supplemental on the condition he was completely exonerated of any involvement. 

I think we will reach the max allowed for a UDFA contract before our salary cap would become an issue.  

We could leave just enough for a few rock bottom contracts; but If we could get Collins, every other UDFA that we brought in after the draft is expendable.

Don't forget, there will be injuries throughout the year where they will be lost for significant time.  Must have the dollars/cap to sign replacements to keep the 53 man roster full.  The Collins situation is really interesting, no question.

If you don't mind signing less UDFA, you could fatten the signing bonus, work out a guaranteed pay that is at limited UDFA value and leaves cap room for the rest of the UDFA'a and injury signings throughout the year.

So what's the word on him can he re enter the draft or not next year? If he isn't then as soon as his name clears you sign him!!!

Since he went undrafted, he cannot re-enter the draft next year. At this point, he signs as an udfa or doesn't play in the NFL.

I read somewhere that he'll wait a bit (week or so?) to sign somewhere.

Since he went undrafted, he cannot re-enter the draft next year. At this point, he signs as an udfa or doesn't play in the NFL.

I read somewhere that he'll wait a bit (week or so?) to sign somewhere.

Awesome!! If his name is cleared Grigson better do everything in his power to sign him.