Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Now that the dust is mostly settled...

Dustin

I don't get it even more this morning. I thought I saw something awhile back that the brass was saying they wanted to stay with the 12 package (is that right?) primarily. Two TE's and two WR's (T.Y and Johnson presumably). How's this guy going to see the field enough to warrant a 1st?

To the question, I hope it's this kid. The only real upshot is that he grows into a #1 WR that was going to be needed at some point down the line.

Andre Johnson was not brought here to be a possession wideout in the slot. He is going to be our Z wideout opposite T.Y.Hilton.

Moncrief and Dorsett will split No.3 wideout duties and when the year is done, Dorsett will win it, I feel.

The issue will be if we have to get our 2 TEs on the field, we can't go empty backfield with our OL, and if we do, Luck will be running for his life with constant pressure in his face. So, 3 WRs, 1 TE is what will be our primary formation even if both our TEs are healthy.

One of our TEs is gone at the end of this year.

Neither we will be using Fleener in the slot with Andre and TY on the outside more then anything.  Allen will rotate between traditional TE position and FB. 

That's assuming we don't go nuts and draft another TE or something.

That's the thing we have to remember, with Fleener being a receiving TE, this guy just isn't gonna see very many snaps.  And Carter can just sort of forget about it, he'll be on the roster bubble as the 5th WR.

Whalen is gone.  

But hopefully this also means Cribbs is gone.  

Dorsett is a much more polished product coming out of college than Moncrief was. It all depends on how much Moncrief cleans up his game during the offseason. If Moncrief can clean up his routes for the most part I could see him being above Dorsett on the depth chart. I am thinking that they will be splitting snaps for the most part though this season.

Andre Johnson was not brought here to be a possession wideout in the slot. He is going to be our Z wideout opposite T.Y.Hilton.

Moncrief and Dorsett will split No.3 wideout duties and when the year is done, Dorsett will win it, I feel.

The issue will be if we have to get our 2 TEs on the field, we can't go empty backfield with our OL, and if we do, Luck will be running for his life with constant pressure in his face. So, 3 WRs, 1 TE is what will be our primary formation even if both our TEs are healthy.

I'm with Chad72 on this.  Fleener and Allen were both drafted when Bruce Arians was running the offense, and they were drafted for his system.  My feeling is that we're slowly transitioning away from 2 TE/2 WR and more to 1 TE/3 WR.  Anything else wouldn't make sense with the glut of WR's we have right now.  One TE gets resigned, the other not....

And I think Dorsett starts over Moncrief.  I got the feeling last year that Moncrief wasn't quite a finished product yet, and could use another year working on his routes and what not.  Eventually, I'm guessing the long term outlook is Hilton/Dorsett/Moncrief, with Andre Johnson eventually retiring and Carter not making the cut long term.

No clue, haven't seen Dorsett in the pro's yet. Moncrief has shown to be a big threat so my guess is Moncrief will be starting after TY Hilton and Andre Johnson. Dorsett will probably be thrown on special teams and punt/kick returns. Cribbs is a liability.

Yeah I think this pick pretty much means Allen or Fleener will not be back with us next season especially if Moncrief and Dorsett both develop. 

AJ and Hilton will be the starter and Dorsett/Moncrief will battle it out for the third WR spot.  Hopefully both continue to develop and one of them can slide into AJ spot when we don't re-sign him and the other take the third spot again.