Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So I'll Just Come Out And Say It.

Jaric

Or we could potentially trade the friggen #1 pick and get multiple players who would likely contribute immediately, and for a decade, instead of just several years from now.

There is a HUGE difference between the #1 overall pick and #2 overall pick, especially with Barkley staying at USC. Teams are going to give up everything for Luck! I heard on the radio that the Browns could give up their 2 1st rounders this year, their 2nd and 3rd round pick, as well as multiple future 1st and 2nd round picks. Why on God's green Earth would you rather have the 2nd pick!? No it wasn't a great point, the difference between the 1st pick and the 2nd pick is everything.

They aren't going to give up that much to replace their young QB who simply needs weapons around him. If anything, the Browns will try to acquire more picks, so this fantasy of them giving us their two first rounders just isn't going to happen.

Is there a difference between the two picks? If we plan on trading down, then yes. If we don't, then no. I don't buy that Luck will be a bigger contributor at any capacity than whoever goes with the 2nd pick. He certainly won't add more value to a team that won't even use him for several years.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we lose to the Jaguars.

That's right. I, a colts fan, and officially rooting against them next week against the Jaguars. This is something I've never done before, and I hope I never have to do again.

Blasphemy right? I must be a terrible fan right?

Before you flame me, I ask everyone here to ask themselves what on earth would one more win accomplish? So we're 3-13 instead of 2-14? Great. That means precisely nothing in the grand scheme of things. What difference would losing and securing the first overall pick accomplish? One of either two things.

It would potentially set up as at QB for the next 10-15 years. Or it would allow us to trade down for a kings randsom of picks and set us up at other positions for the next 10-15 years (ideally) We beat the Jags in a game that means nothing as far as this season is concerned and that all goes away.

Yeah losing sucks. But you know what, I'm more than willing to forgo the instant gratification that one win brings keeping in mind that by losing we could potentially ensure long term success for this frachise moving forward. This season is already over.

So for the next week and a half, I'm a Jaguar fan, and proud of it.

(NOTE: This post should be ignored if the unthinkable happens and both the Vikings and Rams win this weekend.)

This is not how football works and that is not how football will ever work "thankfully"... you play to win games... ppl dont go through broken bones, multiple concussions just to entertain you, they play because they love the game and to some thats probably the only thing they are great at.

I got no room to judge you, but you ask a john madden or a lombardi what they think about your OP... chances are youd probably get a superbowl trophy thrown at your head.

Here's a question, then. If the Colts lose against the Jags because of an obvious coaching blunder, and after, Caldwell says that he made that blunder on purpose because, as so many of you say, 2-14 or 3-13 makes no difference, and he was thinking of the long-term health of the franchise by cementing the 1st overall pick, will you support that move? Will it be a piece of coaching genius, or just another reason to fire him? If you are as certain as you think you are about this, what other choice does the team, players and coaching staff alike, have EXCEPT to tank, for, as you say, the long-term good of the team? If winning actually hurts the team, then losing is the only option, and the Colts therefore have the responsibility to tank, right?

And by the way, how can anyone watch Peyton Manning on the sidelines of the Texans game and pull for the Colts to lose?

I think they will play to win the game. If we end up with the 2nd pick I believe they will just take the next man up... RG3

Well, I've been a Colts fan since 1957, and in all that time, thru all the ups and downs, I've never rooted against my team. I can't even imagine doing that, guess I'm 'old school', I root for my team not against them. In my mind, I can't think of any reason that could change that mind set. But, you do what you think you need to do, I'm not in the business of evaluating who is or who isn't a fan. I just know about my fan beliefs, and I'm good with that, always have been, always will be.

With all due respect to your longtime Colts fandom, how am I rooting against my team if I am rooting for them to win the No. 1 pick in the draft?

This is not how football works and that is not how football will ever work "thankfully"... you play to win games... ppl dont go through broken bones, multiple concussions just to entertain you, they play because they love the game and to some thats probably the only thing they are great at.

I got no room to judge you, but you ask a john madden or a lombardi what they think about your OP... chances are youd probably get a superbowl trophy thrown at your head.

No one said anything about tanking.

I wub my bag. Do I have to? It makes me giggles inside and feel all tickley when i see it.

I guess if you wub your bag you can keep it. What ever makes you happy and tickley.

Have a Merry Christmas and it your lucky Santa will bring you something to make you feel tickley . haha

What if the colts would of won a fourth game in 97 and instead of us picking PM Arizona did and they were the ones who won a super bowl been to 9 straight playoffs and such. This is our chance to get a positive out if this season. I know some of you don't think luck is going to be what everybody says but if he ends up being the next PM or elway that would be pretty sweet and all of u would have forgotten about the loss to the jags if we do.

That's a horrible thought, and frankly in 97 I was absolutely rooting for the Colts to get the number one pick because I wanted Manning. But that was a team that had spiraled downwards from average to horrible and was starting over. I don't think that we are in the same situation at all. More to the point, drafting is a crap-shoot. I wouldn't assume that Luck is the next Manning. We really have no idea.

Keep in mind that:

Dalton was the 5th QB drafted his year

Freeman the 3rd

Flacco the 2nd

Cuttler the 2nd

Rodgers the 2nd

Rivers the 2nd

Rothlesberger the 3rd

Schaub the 5th

Brees the 2nd

Brady the 7th

McNabb the 2nd

Hasselback the 6th

and looking back a little farther:

Favre was the 3rd QB drafted his year

Kelly the 3rd

Marino the 6th

Simms the 2nd

Montana the 4th

Fouts the 6th

Anderson the 6th

Theisman the 7th

Stabler the 4th

Griese the 2nd

Staubach the 11th

Tarkenton the 4th

Dawson the 2nd

Jurgenson the 4th

Starr the 5th

Unitas the 4th

Luck may well be something special, but assuming so is dangerous to your mental health. The best QBs (including Peyton) take years in the league to really come into there own. Predicting what somebody will be in several years is like playing the stock market, and in both cases "the experts" are wrong far more often than they are right.

Not how football will ever work? Let me take you back....week 16 2009; Colts v Jets. You are right, players don't quit, but coaches and GM's and VP's do. I really hope Polian shows some consistency here. Or maybe he cares more his job than his team.

Oh, Merry Christmas everyone.

I hope we lose to the Jaguars.

That's right. I, a colts fan, and officially rooting against them next week against the Jaguars. This is something I've never done before, and I hope I never have to do again.

Blasphemy right? I must be a terrible fan right?

Before you flame me, I ask everyone here to ask themselves what on earth would one more win accomplish? So we're 3-13 instead of 2-14? Great. That means precisely nothing in the grand scheme of things. What difference would losing and securing the first overall pick accomplish? One of either two things.

It would potentially set up as at QB for the next 10-15 years. Or it would allow us to trade down for a kings randsom of picks and set us up at other positions for the next 10-15 years (ideally) We beat the Jags in a game that means nothing as far as this season is concerned and that all goes away.

Yeah losing sucks. But you know what, I'm more than willing to forgo the instant gratification that one win brings keeping in mind that by losing we could potentially ensure long term success for this frachise moving forward. This season is already over.

So for the next week and a half, I'm a Jaguar fan, and proud of it.

(NOTE: This post should be ignored if the unthinkable happens and both the Vikings and Rams win this weekend.)

You are a true team player dude, thats all. Winning next week does nothing for the Colts. . Sure, if we win the team can feel good about themselves. But, this is a team that has been picking at the end of every draft for so long that we have no real new talent comming in. Infact, we had to stoop to finding free agents to play this year. I thought we were next man up. Well lets get back to that by getting plenty of young talent to come play for the Indianapolis Colts this next year.

Edited by Maureen
insult/personal shot removed

That's a horrible thought, and frankly in 97 I was absolutely rooting for the Colts to get the number one pick because I wanted Manning. But that was a team that had spiraled downwards from average to horrible and was starting over. I don't think that we are in the same situation at all. More to the point, drafting is a crap-shoot. I wouldn't assume that Luck is the next Manning. We really have no idea.

Keep in mind that:

Dalton was the 5th QB drafted his year

Freeman the 3rd

Flacco the 2nd

Cuttler the 2nd

Rodgers the 2nd

Rivers the 2nd

Rothlesberger the 3rd

Schaub the 5th

Brees the 2nd

Brady the 7th

McNabb the 2nd

Hasselback the 6th

and looking back a little farther:

Favre was the 3rd QB drafted his year

Kelly the 3rd

Marino the 6th

Simms the 2nd

Montana the 4th

Fouts the 6th

Anderson the 6th

Theisman the 7th

Stabler the 4th

Griese the 2nd

Staubach the 11th

Tarkenton the 4th

Dawson the 2nd

Jurgenson the 4th

Starr the 5th

Unitas the 4th

Luck may well be something special, but assuming so is dangerous to your mental health. The best QBs (including Peyton) take years in the league to really come into there own. Predicting what somebody will be in several years is like playing the stock market, and in both cases "the experts" are wrong far more often than they are right.

I'm fine with us drafting a QB in round 2 or 3 provided Manning is fine. So who do you guys thing looks like the "sleeper" of 2012?

No one said anything about tanking.

I didnt say anything about tanking, im talking about wanting your team to lose, thats just not right no matter for what reason. Who cares andrew luck.. like seriously, what does that guy have that a cam newton or matt ryan doesnt have? lol nothing.. point is QB's are a dime a dozen.

Not how football will ever work? Let me take you back....week 16 2009; Colts v Jets. You are right, players don't quit, but coaches and GM's and VP's do. I really hope Polian shows some consistency here. Or maybe he cares more his job than his team.

Oh, Merry Christmas everyone.

That is not quitting at all, the colts made a poor decision. If any team or GM or Coach knowingly went in a game with the mentality to lose they would not be on the team the next day... we all know colts did not go in the game looking to lose, come on now...

thats a whole different thing than what the OP is saying.

We're getting awfully semantical with the word "quit".

The season can be viewed as one long game with many quarters. By week 14-15, many teams are so far ahead that they need not continue subjecting their best players to punishment in preparation for the new season, the post-season, that is fast approaching.

Tell me, if you think that resting players is quiting, do you think teams "quit" when they pull their starters when up by 45 points?

Be careful answering that.

We're getting awfully semantical with the word "quit".

The season can be viewed as one long game with many quarters. By week 14-15, many teams are so far ahead that they need not continue subjecting their best players to punishment in preparation for the new season, the post-season, that is fast approaching.

Tell me, if you think that resting players is quiting, do you think teams "quit" when they pull their starters when up by 45 points?

Be careful answering that.

I'll answer:)

No,resting is for resting players in the opinion of the person in charge.....but quitting on a 16-0 record is a crime by the ones in charge. You can cut it any other way.

I'll answer:)

No,resting is for resting players in the opinion of the person in charge.....but quitting on a 16-0 record is a crime by the ones in charge. You can cut it any other way.

So they aren't resting if their is a 'number' at stake? Same action, different perception? 16-0 is media and fan fodder and the accomplishment is inherently greedy in nature. No team enters training camp spouting the mantra "Our goal is to reach 16-0". Its 'win the division, secure home field, win the SB'.

I never wish ill will or injury upon players. But the greatest shame I've witnessed in professional sports for some time is that Tom Brady didn't get his legs broken while routing teams into the ground during week 15 when they had everything locked up. It was a terrible shame he didn't get cracked in half while feeding BB's insatiable greed. A greed that was so ravenous he engaged in wanton cheating.

Maybe if the 07 Pats weren't so strung out from greed they would've had enough energy to keep the Giants D-line from stomping out their perfection pursuit? They got STOMPED out.

Just givin ya a friendly ribbing.....

The same fans that are green in the face over the colts resting would've shut-up real fast, drawn entirely silent by ghastly shock, if Peyton had broken his collar bone against Buffalo in a meaningless attempt to pursue perfection. Would it have been worth it? Effectively ending their season because the fans want bragging rights?

Greed. Greed. Greed. Greed. Greedy Greed is Greedy Greed. Greedys gotta Greed.

I feel its about the same thing also, If you pull your starters in a close game like we did/have its like saying it doesnt matter if we win and im fine with that. This next game vs JAX we should have the same outlook. Im pulling for Jax and looking at it for what it is; a REAL chance to have a good pick to work with that we have not had in ...................................................................................................................................How long has it been lol

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, December 26, 2011 - Duplicate Post
Hidden by Coltssouth, December 26, 2011 - Duplicate Post

I feel its about the same thing also, If you pull your starters in a close game like we did/have its like saying it doesnt matter if we win and im fine with that. This next game vs JAX we should have the same outlook. Im pulling for Jax and looking at it for what it is; a REAL chance to have a good pick to work with that we have not had in ...................................................................................................................................How long has it been lol

So they aren't resting if their is a 'number' at stake? Same action, different perception? 16-0 is media and fan fodder and the accomplishment is inherently greedy in nature. No team enters training camp spouting the mantra "Our goal is to reach 16-0". Its 'win the division, secure home field, win the SB'.

I never wish ill will or injury upon players. But the greatest shame I've witnessed in professional sports for some time is that Tom Brady didn't get his legs broken while routing teams into the ground during week 15 when they had everything locked up. It was a terrible shame he didn't get cracked in half while feeding BB's insatiable greed. A greed that was so ravenous he engaged in wanton cheating.

Maybe if the 07 Pats weren't so strung out from greed they would've had enough energy to keep the Giants D-line from stomping out their perfection pursuit? They got STOMPED out.

Just givin ya a friendly ribbing.....

The same fans that are green in the face over the colts resting would've shut-up real fast, drawn entirely silent by ghastly shock, if Peyton had broken his collar bone against Buffalo in a meaningless attempt to pursue perfection. Would it have been worth it? Effectively ending their season because the fans want bragging rights?

Greed. Greed. Greed. Greed. Greedy Greed is Greedy Greed. Greedys gotta Greed.

Why was the Buffalo game meaningless yet the upcoming Jags game not meaningless? To me the perfect season and a shot at immortality is a lot more important than trying to get your 3rd win of a horrible season.

Why was the Buffalo game meaningless yet the upcoming Jags game not meaningless? To me the perfect season and a shot at immortality is a lot more important than trying to get your 3rd win of a horrible season.

I didn't say it was a "meaningless game".

Caution: Extreme sarcasm ahead. Well, let's use some of this "losing" logic then. I hope we lose to the Jags next week and get Andrew Luck....then I hope we lost just enough of the next year's games so we can get Honey Badger. Whoops, we need a wide receiver. No problem, we'll lose 5 games the following year. This is my 5 year plan to get us back in the Super Bowl. We'll definitely have talent.....But, Oh, snap....we want have any character, will we?

Caution: Extreme sarcasm ahead. Well, let's use some of this "losing" logic then. I hope we lose to the Jags next week and get Andrew Luck....then I hope we lost just enough of the next year's games so we can get Honey Badger. Whoops, we need a wide receiver. No problem, we'll lose 5 games the following year. This is my 5 year plan to get us back in the Super Bowl. We'll definitely have talent.....But, Oh, snap....we want have any character, will we?

Actually you make a good point. If we draft Luck and continue to lose for the next two years, garnering the #1 overall 2 more times, we will have a great team in 2013. So lets rally together, Colts fans, and hope our team loses every game for years to come. Its for our best interest in the future.

Actually you make a good point. If we draft Luck and continue to lose for the next two years, garnering the #1 overall 2 more times, we will have a great team in 2013. So lets rally together, Colts fans, and hope our team loses every game for years to come. Its for our best interest in the future.

Well that would certainly make me a happy fan . . . not. :(

Well that would certainly make me a happy fan . . . not. :(

Hey, thats what people want. They want to lose so we get better in the future, so lets lose a bunch and get way better!

Improvement through attrition. All we gotta do is last it out and maybe we can be as good as the Lions are now. Ya know, that team that isn't half as good as we were two years ago.

We are soon to be down the only man that can keep fans in the stands.........One word for ya! "MIAMI" and if that means nothing to ya then I can see why you might want to see us win vs Jax. Be real boys the first pick this year is just not some every year #1 its gonna bring a lot to the table and we havent seen a top pick in a very long time. As for the comment about we have made it by with out high picks for this long ???????????????Does anyone need to reply on that lmao

I think we all got Grizz's point. Did you really need to jump on his posting bandwagon?

Picking 2nd or 3rd, 9th or 10th, 18th or 19th etc is mostly irrelevant, so the humorous post by Grizz doesn't quite work, although it made me smirk.

Hey, thats what people want. They want to lose so we get better in the future, so lets lose a bunch and get way better!

Improvement through attrition. All we gotta do is last it out and maybe we can be as good as the Lions are now. Ya know, that team that isn't half as good as we were two years ago.

That's not the point, that's not what people want and you know it. I don't think anybody here wanted us to get Andrew Luck at the start of the season, but as it is we might as well make the most of a horrendous season and come out of it with something good. Very far from wanting us to tank every year, it's literally losing a meaningless game at the end of a horrible year.

To me the perfect season and a shot at immortality is a lot more important than trying to get your 3rd win of a horrible season.

ohhh....and I wish people would stop it with the ^cowpatties^. "Immortality", yea right. You and everyone else wants to brag about it and shove it in everyones face for the next thirty years....its about bragging rights. Personally I admire the decision to abstain from perfection for a higher purpose. It thought that took a big ol pair to make that call.

Dan Wrote:

That's not the point, that's not what people want and you know it. I don't think anybody here wanted us to get Andrew Luck at the start of the season, but as it is we might as well make the most of a horrendous season and come out of it with something good. Very far from wanting us to tank every year, it's literally losing a meaningless game at the end of a horrible year.

I've been hearing people desire for Luck since week 5-6. Folks have been literally blathering on about this for most of the season. I can post a few hundred examples of such if you would like?

I've witnessed the same people that were talking about how disgusting it is that we're gonna go 0-16, now upset that we aren't. I believe the #1 pick would be a curse disguised as a blessing. The timing isn't right, no matter how good Luck may be, it's too early to fish for Manning's replacement. The idea sounded good to me until the first time I heard the unthinkable ....."Trade Peyton". Sure Polian could trade the pick, but there's too much pressure to draft Luck so ....what to do what to do?

As a fan, for myself, I want to see this horrendous season end on a high, sweeping through our division with a 3 game run. We go into the off-season with the #2 overall and much promise of a good season ahead. Peyton's our guy and lets not subtract from that by having his grossly overpaid replacement sitting bench-locked for years and years.

I've been hearing people desire for Luck since week 5-6. Folks have been literally blathering on about this for most of the season. I can post a few hundred examples of such if you would like?

I've witnessed the same people that were talking about how disgusting it is that we're gonna go 0-16, now upset that we aren't. I believe the #1 pick would be a curse disguised as a blessing. The timing isn't right, no matter how good Luck may be, it's too early to fish for Manning's replacement. The idea sounded good to me until the first time I heard the unthinkable ....."Trade Peyton". Sure Polian could trade the pick, but there's too much pressure to draft Luck so ....what to do what to do?

As a fan, for myself, I want to see this horrendous season end on a high, sweeping through our division with a 3 game run. We go into the off-season with the #2 overall and much promise of a good season ahead. Peyton's our guy and lets not subtract from that by having his grossly overpaid replacement sitting bench-locked for years and years.

Week 5-6 where we were 0-5/6 and looking like we'd be unable to beat a team made up of people from this forum. I said at the start of the season - before we heard Manning was out, how many people do you think wanted us to go 0-16, 1-15 and draft Luck? About as many people as want to see us go 0-16 next season. The reason people want it now is because we all had our heart set and our eyes locked on pick number one and now a random, essentially meaningless run of form is jeopardising that. Not because we like draft picks - but we might as well make the best of a bad situation. Not lose every year to get loads of picks.

Week 5-6 where we were 0-5/6 and looking like we'd be unable to beat a team made up of people from this forum. I said at the start of the season - before we heard Manning was out, how many people do you think wanted us to go 0-16, 1-15 and draft Luck? About as many people as want to see us go 0-16 next season. The reason people want it now is because we all had our heart set and our eyes locked on pick number one and now a random, essentially meaningless run of form is jeopardising that. Not because we like draft picks - but we might as well make the best of a bad situation. Not lose every year to get loads of picks.

I know Dan, I was just teasin.

People have been rubbing the creamy salve of Andrew Luck on the open wound that has been this season. I feel that many have lost sight entirely of what we have in place and there is no absolute need for a #1 pick or a projected franchise caliber rookie QB at this time.

The way I've vested my emotions is as follows;

If we win, I'm happy about that as a fan and I know that the draft is going to procure excellent opportunity.

If we lose, then as a fan, I'm upset that I didn't get to see my team win but I'm at least happy about the future and the bevy of options that my teams FO has to work with.

Either way I'm happy because I know that positive comes out of either end.

While this would be true. We have 1 player on our roster that has the ability to turn this team from 2-14 to 14-2. If this player does play, then this would not be needed as we have little chance to improve upon that record.

I know Dan, I was just teasin.

People have been rubbing the creamy salve of Andrew Luck on the open wound that has been this season. I feel that many have lost sight entirely of what we have in place and there is no absolute need for a #1 pick or a projected franchise caliber rookie QB at this time.

The way I've vested my emotions is as follows;

If we win, I'm happy about that as a fan and I know that the draft is going to procure excellent opportunity.

If we lose, then as a fan, I'm upset that I didn't get to see my team win but I'm at least happy about the future and the bevy of options that my teams FO has to work with.

Either way I'm happy because I know that positive comes out of either end.

Very fair way to look at it on the whole. Whatever happens isn't too bad because we're almost over this horrible season, and pick 1 or 2 we'll do something very useful for the future of that team. I've just admittedly had my heart set on Andrew Luck since I realised we had a real chance of getting him (I thought it was in the bank until Titans...) and I honestly believe he's the best way to go. But like you say, positives whatever happens. Let's all look forward to a playoff appearance next season.

Very fair way to look at it on the whole. Whatever happens isn't too bad because we're almost over this horrible season, and pick 1 or 2 we'll do something very useful for the future of that team. I've just admittedly had my heart set on Andrew Luck since I realised we had a real chance of getting him (I thought it was in the bank until Titans...) and I honestly believe he's the best way to go. But like you say, positives whatever happens. Let's all look forward to a playoff appearance next season.

We've never seen how Manning reacts to coming back from injury. After being forcefully removed from play for an entire year, my guess is the dude is gonna be playing with a yet unseen fire and intensity. IF they could draft Luck and IF they could make it work, yes, I too feel this would be frickin awesome as the question would be answered; Who's next after Peyton? But if not, hey, we can worry about that later, hopefully after a few more rings.

From this point on its win-win, even if we lose. Thats a rare seat for a fan.

We've never seen how Manning reacts to coming back from injury. After being forcefully removed from play for an entire year, my guess is the dude is gonna be playing with a yet unseen fire and intensity. IF they could draft Luck and IF they could make it work, yes, I too feel this would be frickin awesome as the question would be answered; Who's next after Peyton? But if not, hey, we can worry about that later, hopefully after a few more rings.

From this point on its win-win, even if we lose. Thats a rare seat for a fan.

What makes you think PM can physically play like he has. We all know how motivated he will be but how do you know he can still perform at a high level.