Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I've Got It Narrowed Down to 5-6 People

Who the Colts take in the 1st round. There are always surprises on draft day based on who goes where, but out these guys, I think one of them will be our 1st round pick.

1. Eddie Goldman

Say what you want about the staff being happy with the players we already have on the line, but we could use an upgrade. Goldman is a 3-4 NT who does more than just eat space. We've had a private visit/workout with him so I would say the interest there is real.

2. T.J. Clemmings

Credit Danhart for being the first person to predict this but there seems to be a lot of interest in Clemmings. I believe we met with him at the Senior Bowl, Combine, and we brought him in for a private workout. He would obviously be the replacement for Cherilus in the near future

3. Landon Collins

A player we've met with at the combine. A lot of people don't want us to take him, but I can't see Grigson passing on a player with his type of pedigree. If he falls to us, he will be heavily considered.

4. Erik Kendricks

I believe we met with him at the Combine and attended his pro-day. He's a very high character guy, which the staff loves. But he also happens to be at a position of need. Kendricks is a good possibility if the first 3 guys are gone.

5. Carl Davis

The Colts were at the Iowa pro day. Most might say it was to see Brandon Scherff, but I think we were also there to get a look at Davis. At 6-5,320 Davis is huge. Would instantly upgrade the D with the departure of Redding. I think last year the Colts really would have taken Rashede Hageman if they had their first round pick. Davis is a better player coming out than him.

*6. Arik Armstead

I'm not sure where the interest with Armstead started but I think he is the draft's biggest wildcard. Probably the highest ceiling, but also doesn't have much production. He's also a work in progress. That being said I still think the Colts would be interested.

Those are 5-6 I feel most comfortable with. Armstead is a stretch because I've seen him as high as top 10. I think guys like Marcus Paters, Kevin Johnson, and others are options 2 but I think at 29 these would be the preferred choices based on our board. Lemme know what you think and maybe who your top predictions are.

DL and OL take a while to contribute. Having said that, OT is easier to contribute than OG since your awareness of more spatial stuff plus going against the physicality of NFL DL plus communication with the center all make OG contributions harder than OT. OT typically has lesser assignments.

I am thinking OT (RT) will be our pick unless a very good CB drops, which is the other position where we can expect a quicker contribution outside the skill positions which I think we have shored up enough to not need a first rounder.

I agree with Chad.  The only player on your list I would take would be Clemmings.  My draft list for the 1st among conceivable candidates would go like this:

1) Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest.

2) Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford

3) Jalen Collins, CB, LSU

4) T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pitt

5) Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami

6) Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon

7) Marcus Peters, CB, U-Dub (Though, I'm not 100% that I'd accept the attitude risk with my 1st rounder.)

At least two of these players should be available, and most likely I'd end up with Jalen Collins...

I'd say if Andrus Peat falls to us, he is the pick. I don't think he will fall that far though. I'd rather not reach for Collins just because we need a safety. Too many articles of negative skills to pass up a potential RT replacement for next season (maybe sometime in this season if Cherilous is broken). I'm not familiar enough with Clemmings but if those who have watched him thinks he is solid enough, I'd trust opinions of those who know. Of course we all are best guessing and some wishing for the player. It's what makes this period exciting and heartbreaking at the same time.

I agree with the names you have picked out and I agree to your reasoning. I would hope we grab Collins at 29, if not Goldman then grab someone like James Sample later.

However I have a couple of other names.

One is Ereck Flowers on the grounds that we have had a meeting/workout with him and were at his pro day.

The other is Owamagbe Odighizuwa just because he is player very few people on this forum would expect us taking and many people may be left saying after hearing his name "Who?" ( similar to some fans and Mewhort last year.)

I agree with Chad.  The only player on your list I would take would be Clemmings.  My draft list for the 1st among conceivable candidates would go like this:

1) Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest.

2) Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford

3) Jalen Collins, CB, LSU

4) T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pitt

5) Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami

6) Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon

7) Marcus Peters, CB, U-Dub (Though, I'm not 100% that I'd accept the attitude risk with my 1st rounder.)

At least two of these players should be available, and most likely I'd end up with Jalen Collins...

no D line at all? whats with so many corner backs?  we need one or two but as fourth and fifth string.  OT is a need for next year, this is a great first round for D line and its a bigger need than OT

I agree with the names you have picked out and I agree to your reasoning. I would hope we grab Collins at 29, if not Goldman then grab someone like James Sample later.

However I have a couple of other names.

One is Ereck Flowers on the grounds that we have had a meeting/workout with him and were at his pro day.

The other is Owamagbe Odighizuwa just because he is player very few people on this forum would expect us taking and many people may be left saying after hearing his name "Who?" ( similar to some fans and Mewhort last year.)

Flowers could happen too. I have him going 2nd round to the Texans if he doesn't go somewhere in the 1st.

no D line at all? whats with so many corner backs?  we need one or two but as fourth and fifth string.  OT is a need for next year, this is a great first round for D line and its a bigger need than OT

Everyone is focusing on the lack of CB depth and us needing a future replacement for Toler. I don't see it as big of a need as others though. Besides, Kevin Johnson and Marcus Peters will most likely be gone by our pick anyways. I like Alex Carter and Cam Thomas as later round prospects. Too many people are buying into this idea that our D-line is fine with Kerr, Chapman, and Hughes.

I disagree.  I don't consider DL a big need, but solving the RT question is.  Plus, we have a ton of big, young, developing NTs on the roster already.  Like literally a ton!  The only DL need I see is for a standard 310 lb. 3-4 DE/DT for depth purposes.  Malcom Brown would probably fit the bill, but the others, not so much.  But again, with Kerr, Hughes, and Chapman (and even Quarles) all developing, I just don't see it as a big of a need as CB, OT, or S, plus the ones I listed would probably all be BPA above any of the DL IMO.

I disagree.  I don't consider DL a big need, but solving the RT question is.  Plus, we have a ton of big, young, developing NTs on the roster already.  Like literally a ton!  The only DL need I see is for a standard 310 lb. 3-4 DE/DT for depth purposes.  Malcom Brown would probably fit the bill, but the others, not so much.  But again, with Kerr, Hughes, and Chapman (and even Quarles) all developing, I just don't see it as a big of a need as CB, OT, or S, plus the ones I listed would probably all be BPA above any of the DL IMO.

I agree. I would rather go OT in the first than a DL unless they really feel strongly about him.

If we go OT in the first and get G Ali Mart in the 3rd/4th, I think our OL could be set for years.

I'd say if Andrus Peat falls to us, he is the pick. I don't think he will fall that far though. I'd rather not reach for Collins just because we need a safety. Too many articles of negative skills to pass up a potential RT replacement for next season (maybe sometime in this season if Cherilous is broken). I'm not familiar enough with Clemmings but if those who have watched him thinks he is solid enough, I'd trust opinions of those who know. Of course we all are best guessing and some wishing for the player. It's what makes this period exciting and heartbreaking at the same time.

Why did you use the expression "I'd rather not reach for Collins just because of our need..."

What makes you think picking Collins at 29 is a reach?     He's projected everywhere as a 1st round pick.     Getting him at the bottom of the round would be great.

Now, if you don't like him,  that's fine.    But he's not a reach.

I respect the opinion of those who feel we badly need DL, but I think that Pagano and Grigson believe in developmental players.  When you take 5th rounders or college FAs, you can't expect them to play like solid vets from Day1.  Hughes, Chapman, and Kerr all got their first real taste of NFL PT last year and it was painful at times, but they are better off for it.  Management expects them to play much better than they did last year with another year's experience and hard work.  I'm particularly excited about Kerr.  And I agree with others who have mentioned that a healthy Arthur Jones and Kendall Langford will help the DL performance too.

well those same people probably realize we also have Arthur Jones and Kendall Langford as well so...yeah.

I think that the folks clamoring for an impact DL to be drafted in the 1st are forgetting how few could produce at an impact level in our system.  Our system is designed to reduce really good prospects to JAGs.  We aren't going to put an interior rusher in position to get 8-10 sacks unless we change our system.  Outside of the Top 15, it is very unlikely that we'll be able to grab a talent that could produce a performance delta much different than round 2 or later.

I'm all for drafting a DL in the first if there is a BPA there who fits that need, and it may even be the perfect storm where a talent like Armstead falls to 29 because of his production.  He is a talent that you don't let go by the window.  However, we have a much better chance at drafting a player who will be a difference-maker in our system on defense at any other position this year with the 29th pick. 

I also like our chances of drafting impact at OT and WR with 29 this year.

Well both Pagano and Griggs said their happy with the guys we have on the DL and why they didn't need to sign a big NT.

That comment is best taken with a grain of salt. They said the same thing last year about why they didn't draft a safety last year and they were wrong.

I don't see how the same players who were here least season are the answers to the run defense problems. They might not have signed a big NT, but it doesn't mean they won't draft one.

I just don't see how Quarles, Hughes, and Kerr is something to be optimistic about besides them being good back-UPS.

I think that the folks clamoring for an impact DL to be drafted in the 1st are forgetting how few could produce at an impact level in our system.  Our system is designed to reduce really good prospects to JAGs.  We aren't going to put an interior rusher in position to get 8-10 sacks unless we change our system.  Outside of the Top 15, it is very unlikely that we'll be able to grab a talent that could produce a performance delta much different than round 2 or later.

I'm all for drafting a DL in the first if there is a BPA there who fits that need, and it may even be the perfect storm where a talent like Armstead falls to 29 because of his production.  He is a talent that you don't let go by the window.  However, we have a much better chance at drafting a player who will be a difference-maker in our system on defense at any other position this year with the 29th pick. 

I also like our chances of drafting impact at OT and WR with 29 this year.

You are the only one I think/remember talking about a wr in the 1st!

I'm not disagreeing But just about everyone wants a player on D, usually DL.

What do you think about DGB at 29? He's a Freak and has some red flags but wow what he might be!

That comment is best taken with a grain of salt. They said the same thing last year about why they didn't draft a safety last year and they were wrong.

I don't see how the same players who were here least season are the answers to the run defense problems. They might not have signed a big NT, but it doesn't mean they won't draft one.

I just don't see how Quarles, Hughes, and Kerr is something to be optimistic about besides them being good back-UPS.

Yeah I don't agree with their statement whether they actually believe it or not, lol.

And I don't understand why they didn't sign one of those NT's. Some actually signed for very reasonable $.

All I know is Grigson better hope he hits good on his first pick whoever it is. If he whiffs 3 straight first round picks he will prolly be in pretty deep.

Agreed.   Grigson can NOT whiff on our 1st round pick.

He can go in several different directions,  but getting a guy who doesn't pan out like Werner or TRich is not going to cut it and might cost Grigson his job.

You are the only one I think/remember talking about a wr in the 1st!

I'm not disagreeing But just about everyone wants a player on D, usually DL.

What do you think about DGB at 29? He's a Freak and has some red flags but wow what he might be!

First of all - I'll give the same disclaimer I've made for the last few years - I don't do prospect evaluations.  I see why many around here enjoy doing it, and I don't diminish their armchair expertise, but I just don't have time nor skill to do it at a meaningful level.  I like to read the free stuff that is out there when I can, but I've got nothing of substance to offer for actual opinions on prospects....so I won't.  I deal in concepts and historical analysis....period.

I'd actually very much prefer an impact player on D from our 1st Rd. pick, and I think there will be worthy talent available at CB, Edge and maybe ILB (Kendricks, McKinney).  I just have my doubts that the DL talent left at 29 will have more long term potential in our system than those available a round later and beyond.  Historically, this is the truth - this year may differ.  

The beauty of our system is that you can get results from ordinary DL prospects that you can't in the Tampa 2 system we ran under Dungy.  In keeping with that, you don't reach fora guy at 29 for the DL unless you believe he'll be notably different over time than later round prospects.

As for WR, it is the last area of draftable need that I'd consider with a BPA, but I'd still rather draft Jaelen Strong than a DL that will simply blend into average. 

This time of year we are all in love with the idea of what prospects could be rather than the reality of what they actually will be....and to be sure, that is part of the fun of being a fan and I begrudge it to none.

Yeah I don't agree with their statement whether they actually believe it or not, lol.

And I don't understand why they didn't sign one of those NT's. Some actually signed for very reasonable $.

Which of the NT's do you think we had a legitimate shot at for a reasonable price?

First of all - I'll give the same disclaimer I've made for the last few years - I don't do prospect evaluations.  I see why many around here enjoy doing it, and I don't diminish their armchair expertise, but I just don't have time nor skill to do it at a meaningful level.  I like to read the free stuff that is out there when I can, but I've got nothing of substance to offer for actual opinions on prospects....so I won't.  I deal in concepts and historical analysis....period.

I'd actually very much prefer an impact player on D from our 1st Rd. pick, and I think there will be worthy talent available at CB, Edge and maybe ILB (Kendricks, McKinney).  I just have my doubts that the DL talent left at 29 will have more long term potential in our system than those available a round later and beyond.  Historically, this is the truth - this year may differ.  

The beauty of our system is that you can get results from ordinary DL prospects that you can't in the Tampa 2 system we ran under Dungy.  In keeping with that, you don't reach fora guy at 29 for the DL unless you believe he'll be notably different over time than later round prospects.

As for WR, it is the last area of draftable need that I'd consider with a BPA, but I'd still rather draft Jaelen Strong than a DL that will simply blend into average. 

This time of year we are all in love with the idea of what prospects could be rather than the reality of what they actually will be....and to be sure, that is part of the fun of being a fan and I begrudge it to none.

I pretty much agree with What you say and Jaelen Strong is pretty good. DGB, I think is more of a talent than a prospect(as much as any college players coming to nfl), hence why he still probably will be drafted in the first round despite missing last season of college.

Agreed. Grigson can NOT whiff on our 1st round pick.

He can go in several different directions, but getting a guy who doesn't pan out like Werner or TRich is not going to cut it and might cost Grigson his job.

yep in really hoping were not looking at Randall or Coleman in the 1st that would be terrible IMO

All I know is Grigson better hope he hits good on his first pick whoever it is. If he whiffs 3 straight first round picks he will prolly be in pretty deep.

Goodell: "With the 29th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, The Colts pick... Deshazor Everett"

*Jets fans boo for some reason*

Mayock: "Well that certainly is... interesting. I had Everett as a 6th round pick. Grigson must see... something... in him.... *dead air for 3 minutes*

Goodell: "With the 29th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, The Colts pick... Deshazor Everett"

*Jets fans boo for some reason*

Mayock: "Well that certainly is... interesting. I had Everett as a 6th round pick. Grigson must see... something... in him.... *dead air for 3 minutes*

haha

Why did you use the expression "I'd rather not reach for Collins just because of our need..."

What makes you think picking Collins at 29 is a reach? He's projected everywhere as a 1st round pick. Getting him at the bottom of the round would be great.

Now, if you don't like him, that's fine. But he's not a reach.

because if this was any other year and they had any safety prospects worthy of a first round pick, I don't think he would be up in the first round. It's been said this is a weak safety class and this kid has too much of a hole in his game. We need a better first round prospect and look to a better safety prospect next year perhaps.

because if this was any other year and they had any safety prospects worthy of a first round pick, I don't think he would be up in the first round. It's been said this is a weak safety class and this kid has too much of a hole in his game. We need a better first round prospect and look to a better safety prospect next year perhaps.

Fair enough.....

But I'd like to offer this......

Collins is clearly #1 because he's the best of a weak class.    But from everything I've read,  he'd be a first round pick in most any year's draft.    He's got a 1st round grade.     Yes,  he has holes in his game.    But the dirty little secret about most drafts is this....   that most first round picks have some holes in their games.    Their pluses just outweigh their minuses by enough to give them a first round grade.

Just some food for thought....

Fair enough.....

But I'd like to offer this......

Collins is clearly #1 because he's the best of a weak class.    But from everything I've read,  he'd be a first round pick in most any year's draft.    He's got a 1st round grade.     Yes,  he has holes in his game.    But the dirty little secret about most drafts is this....   that most first round picks have some holes in their games.    Their pluses just outweigh their minuses by enough to give them a first round grade.

Just some food for thought....

I get all that as well but would you rather have the safety that gets pushed up in ranking a little higher or if nothing else, looks better because of the weak class or a guy you could get at RT that can keep your QB upright and your RB a lane.? It won't upset me in the least if that is the guy the Colts choose as they have all the tape, the numbers and all the intangibles of whoever they choose more than I will ever have. Whatever they choose, they best work out well for the team or Griggs may start feeling some heat, especially if they have troubles in the playoffs.

Can't wait to see how we shape the team in a few weeks, can't come fast enough....just to wait for preseason time lol

Yeah, I don't remember it that way.  I remember both Grigson and Pagano saying that, each time it was the Colts' selection, there wasn't an available safety that the felt would have been proper value.  IOW, they'd have been reaching for need and passing on a better player at a different positions.  I don't recall either of them ever saying they didn't draft a safety because they were happy with the current players.

Yeah, I don't remember it that way. I remember both Grigson and Pagano saying that, each time it was the Colts' selection, there wasn't an available safety that the felt would have been proper value. IOW, they'd have been reaching for need and passing on a better player at a different positions. I don't recall either of them ever saying they didn't draft a safety because they were happy with the current players.

No. After the draft Grigson said that they "looked what they had in house". At the time that was Landry, Brown, and Howell. Then they signed Adams least minute when they realized they messed up. Not saying we should have gotten Brock Vereen or Terrance Brooks over Mewhort, but what I mean is I don't buy the "faith" they claim to have in players.

I hope they won't make the same mistake this draft. And they have all their picks this year plus 2 extra. Because what I believe really happened is that they got caught with their pants down because they knew safety needed to be upgraded but were missing their first round pick

Don't get me wrong, I think they liked guys like Hageman,Easely, Roby,etc... But they probably wanted Buccanon or Ward. They had 2 safeties they liked (brought them in for private workouts and visits) but couldn't get them because Grigson used the pick on Richardson.

No. After the draft Grigson said that they "looked what they had in house". At the time that was Landry, Brown, and Howell. Then they signed Adams least minute when they realized they messed up. Not saying we should have gotten Brock Vereen or Terrance Brooks over Mewhort, but what I mean is I don't buy the "faith" they claim to have in players.

I hope they won't make the same mistake this draft. And they have all their picks this year plus 2 extra. Because what I believe really happened is that they got caught with their pants down because they knew safety needed to be upgraded but were missing their first round pick

Don't get me wrong, I think they liked guys like Hageman,Easely, Roby,etc... But they probably wanted Buccanon or Ward. They had 2 safeties they liked (brought them in for private workouts and visits) but couldn't get them because Grigson used the pick on Richardson.

Brock Vereen would have been a terrific pick (played 290 coverage snaps and gave up 1 catch for 4 yards). He was a guy I really wanted in the 2nd round and everyone called me crazy. 

Brock Vereen would have been a terrific pick (played 290 coverage snaps and gave up 1 catch for 4 yards). He was a guy I really wanted in the 2nd round and everyone called me crazy. 

Brock Vereen was a favorite of mine too.     But he was taken at the bottom of the 4th round.   We didn't have a 4th round pick.

When were we supposed to take him?

I think you're going to have to elaborate what you mean when you say that Grigson said "they messed up".....

Because I don't think those words have come from his mouth.    I think that's a terrible mischaracterization.

What mess up?

You think that Grigson doesn't know at all times -- 24/7/365 -- exactly who is on his roster?    The draft didn't end with Grigson looking at everyone in the room saying....   "Oh,  wait!   Did I forget to draft a safety?    Oh, I messed up!    Now, we're going to have to sign a veteran..."

Perhaps a poor choice of words?