Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Move - Offensive Line at #29

The obvious concern is running the ball and protecting Luck better in 2015. Avoiding so many 3 and outs will tremendously help our defense too. 

The draft has many ebbs and flows, so anything can happen. If a great player falls to us then sure; we can't completely overlook BPA.

We have to ask ourselves a simple question. What helps our team the most? My answer is to continue building the offensive line. Others may have a different opinion. Sure drafting offensive lineman is not the sexy pick, but I don't care about that. I just want to win. sometimes teams need to invest for several years in the offensive line. Look at Dallas. That line was horrible 5-6 years ago, and now it is the most dominant line in football. 

I would love to see us use the 29th pick on an offensive lineman. Two guys I really like, and who could also be there at # 29 are Ereck Flowers and Cameron Erving. It is possible that Cameron is higher of the two on the Colts board, because the front office likes players who can play multiple positions. I prefer to get Ereck Flowers though, because he would have a shot at becoming an opening day starter at RT. Even if he does not start, he is only a Gosder injury away from seeing the field. In my mind, Flowers would solidify our greatest concern and weakness. 

I would not be upset at the least if we doubled down and used our second round pick on the offensive line as well. It would be nice to see Tre Jackson get the call at #61.

So in my perfect world (probably not mirrored by many other Colts fans) we draft Flowers at #29 and Tre Jackson at #61. 

I think we should go best player available on defense or offensive line with a definitive preference to trade back.

I agree that we need to improve our offensive line but I am not a huge fan of this year's class of linemen. Cameron Erving has limited time at center (although he did excel), and Ereck Flowers has a knee issue that could ultimately shorten his career. I also like Jake Fisher (possible in round 1 or in trading back) and Hroniss Grasu (likely round 2 or 3).

Jarvis Harrison from Texas A&M in round 4 could be a great addition at guard. He fits the Grigson mold as a versatile lineman who played some tackle in college. 

However, we have some GLARING needs on defense. If Shaq Thompson is available at #29, it would be awfully tough to pass on his potential as a game changing safety. A corner/safety hybrid like Jalen Collins would be tough to pass up. 

Plus, we have got to add someone other than Kendall Langford to shore up our run defense. 

I don't understand the point of sinking the first two draft picks into the offensive line either...right now the roster has Costanzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Harrison, Herremans, Cherilus, Louis, Heenan, Thomas, Thornton and Reitz with guaranteed money for next year. There is also another additional 4 players that I didn't list. Most teams only carry 8-9 linemen on the active roster during the season. I don't believe that a back-up OT in the 1st round would have as much value to this team as a starting safety or defensive linemen.

Now that we addressed the RG spot, I would lean toward defense front 7

I would however, be looking for that next developmental OL player (in a round 4-7)

I would like a NT, but with Mathis out for at least a part of the season.......... A pass rush OLB may be our best option

Why are so many so obsessed with drafting for position and not player

Because once you get a great offensive line,  you can do most anything you want.

See Dallas Cowboys as one example.    And Grigson has, in the past, vowed to build a great offensive line.

We're still waiting on that.

Because once you get a great offensive line,  you can do most anything you want.

See Dallas Cowboys as one example.    And Grigson has, in the past, vowed to build a great offensive line.

He also said he wants to put together a program that will have sustained success for a long time. I think the best way to do that is to draft the best players you can, almost without regard for position.

No question offensive line is important, but I don't think it makes sense to lock in on any position group. I think that's how you miss out on good players.

He also said he wants to put together a program that will have sustained success for a long time. I think the best way to do that is to draft the best players you can, almost without regard for position.

No question offensive line is important, but I don't think it makes sense to lock in on any position group. I think that's how you miss out on good players.

I understand and appreciate all that, so let me put it another way.......

I think we need to build the defense....  and in Grigson's interview at the owner's meeting this week, he said Irsay's words to him were along the lines of we need to build a defense that can stop the run in January.

I'm just wondering what Grigson will do in rounds 1, 2 and 3, if BPA is an offensive player?

Those might be the best guys,  but is that how we're going to stop the run in January?

I agree with you BlueShoe, protect the franchise QB and score 40 points/game.  See who can keep up!

Always like to interact with a fellow Colts fan from Evansville. ;)

I agree, and even more important than the 40 points a game is keeping the offense on the field.

Last year when we played teams with weaker defenses, we controlled the game. But our offensive line was not up to the task when we played teams with good defensive lines. Opposing teams with good defenses would cause several 3 and outs and before we knew it, our defense was wore the hell out. I don't think many Colts fans realize when we moved to the 3-4, and added larger bodies, we also lost stamina. Our defense is not designed to be on the field 30 plus minutes a game. We need our defense to be on the field around 25 minutes a game. The only way to accomplish that is to have a dominant offensive line so we can control the game.

It looks like Evansville Colts fans are paying attention to what the Texans are doing. They are building an army on the defensive line. And they are doing this because it is the blueprint to beat the Colts. If we do not improve our offensive line play then we will  lose at least once to the Texans this season. Also Lebeau as defensive coordinator for the Titans scares the crap out of me. And it should other Colts fans too. 

I agree. 

It is nice to see another Colts fan without blinders on. You get it. 

I created this thread because it is what I truly believe. I also posted it to get a reading on how other fans feel about drafting offensive linemen early in this draft. I am sure Dallas fans were upset when the Cowboys spent early picks on their offensive line. But they are not complaining about it now. 

O-line is a big need, but it all depends on how it shakes out on draft day. I hope Jake Fisher is available when we pick, he's a guy I see being a 10 year starter in this league and having some success at that.

Another Colts fan who gets it.  :thmup:

our line is fine. on paper it might be the best line we've had since glenn scott saturday lilja diem

I don't even know how a person could keep a straight face comparing the best offensive line in Indianapolis Colts history to what we currently have. 

LT and LG are set. RG is still an unknown in our system, but could pay off. After that, we are very weak. We are in a situation where losing our RT can absolutely be a death blow to the 2015 season, and Gosder holding up all season is a long shot. Just the facts. 

Why are so many so obsessed with drafting for position and not player

Because teams have killed the right side of our offensive line for years. We will not win a championship with the offensive line we currently have. We will continue to stockpile wins against teams like Jacksonville, but we don't even have a fighting chance against teams like the Patriots until we fix this dreadful right side of the offensive line. 

And while Herremans might be a decent pickup for one year, he is not the long-term answer. If he was an offensive line savior then he would have received a large offer from another team, instead of a 1-year deal. Forgive me if I don't get excited about picking up another player from the Eagles. 

I understand and appreciate all that, so let me put it another way.......

I think we need to build the defense....  and in Grigson's interview at the owner's meeting this week, he said Irsay's words to him were along the lines of we need to build a defense that can stop the run in January.

I'm just wondering what Grigson will do in rounds 1, 2 and 3, if BPA is an offensive player?

Those might be the best guys,  but is that how we're going to stop the run in January?

I don't know. I don't think Grigson will be looking at the draft and saying "which player still available will help us improve our run defense the most?" In the same vein, I don't think he'll be saying "which player will help us improve the rushing attack the most?" I think his approach will be "which player improves our team the most?" 

I just keep going back to what Grigson said to Peter King after his first draft: http://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/04/30/mmqb

"I've been in a lot of draft rooms,'' Grigson said, "and I've seen people reach way down, into the bowels of the draft board, to fill a need position. Then, once they come in and get in pads and they start playing, you figure you really haven't solved the problem you needed to solve. So we targeted some [defensive] guys, but when we couldn't get them, we had players on our board we knew could help us, and help us now.

"There are teams I've followed over the years and admired. Baltimore stays true to its principles and drafts smart. I've looked up to Ozzie Newsome, and he doesn't force things, even when I'm sure he feels the temptation to fill glaring needs. Instead of emotion getting in the way, he follows his board. Look where the Ravens are. They contend every year for the Super Bowl.

"All the days you spend on the road. All the hotels, all the flights, all the workouts, all the Pro Days ... It's late at night, and I'm having my Ruby Tuesday burger somewhere, thinking I've just seen a player I really like, and you start to think about how he might fit into the board. I mean, it's night after night. You feel confident you've got the players in the right order. And then because the board falls differently, you want to change all of that? I won't do it.''

A tight end like Fleener, Grigson said, "might not come out for another three years. I'm not going to turn down a player like that, with great value staring us in the face and a quarterback who can use the tight end so well. And Allen -- the tight end's an in-vogue thing now in NFL offenses.''

Considering the Colts signed a tight end, Dominique Jones, from Reading of the Indoor Football League this spring, the need was obviously there. Time will tell if those Grigson passed on were smart decisions.

The Colts are better, obviously, with Luck and two security blankets. But unless some incumbent 4-3 defenders -- Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis will be first-time outside linebackers this year after careers at end -- can make a smooth transition to the new defense, Luck's going to have to be as explosive a rookie as Cam Newton was a year ago for Indianapolis to be consistently competitive this year.

"This is not a one-day job,'' Grigson said. "I'm fortunate to have a coach and owner who trust me, and we're fortunate to have a quarterback now. We're chipping away.''

History has proved that every decision Grigson has made isn't right. Some are woefully bad. Even addressing his comments in that interview, we'd be better today if he had drafted Cordy Glenn instead of Coby Fleener. So it's not a defense of Grigson, or even a desire to try to diagnose his drafting history. 

But he said he wants to stick to his board, and he said he's not going to waver from his board to try to fill a positional need or bolster one position group. If you add the best players you can, your team gets better, and the big needs can be addressed in a limited fashion in free agency and with trades. Maybe subconsciously, need influences your board. I'm sure positional value influences everyone's board. But I don't think Grigson and company are going to be sitting in the draft room trying to decide who to choose on the basis of which player improves what unit on the team. I don't think he'll go OL because he's more interested in improving the run; I don't think he'll go DL because he's more interested in improving the run defense.

I think all the scouting that he and his staff are doing right now will influence the board, and they'll using that scouting to rank the players that they are interested in drafting. And barring trade scenarios, when it's time to make the pick, they'll take the player they have rated the highest. Everything that he's said suggests that's what he plans to do.

I don't know. I don't think Grigson will be looking at the draft and saying "which player still available will help us improve our run defense the most?" In the same vein, I don't think he'll be saying "which player will help us improve the rushing attack the most?" I think his approach will be "which player improves our team the most?" 

I just keep going back to what Grigson said to Peter King after his first draft: http://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/04/30/mmqb

History has proved that every decision Grigson has made isn't right. Some are woefully bad. Even addressing his comments in that interview, we'd be better today if he had drafted Cordy Glenn instead of Coby Fleener. So it's not a defense of Grigson, or even a desire to try to diagnose his drafting history. 

But he said he wants to stick to his board, and he said he's not going to waver from his board to try to fill a positional need or bolster one position group. If you add the best players you can, your team gets better, and the big needs can be addressed in a limited fashion in free agency and with trades. Maybe subconsciously, need influences your board. I'm sure positional value influences everyone's board. But I don't think Grigson and company are going to be sitting in the draft room trying to decide who to choose on the basis of which player improves what unit on the team. I don't think he'll go OL because he's more interested in improving the run; I don't think he'll go DL because he's more interested in improving the run defense.

I think all the scouting that he and his staff are doing right now will influence the board, and they'll using that scouting to rank the players that they are interested in drafting. And barring trade scenarios, when it's time to make the pick, they'll take the player they have rated the highest. Everything that he's said suggests that's what he plans to do.

I hope you're right.....

Please God, I sure hope you're right!!     

Keeping the offense on the field and keeping our defense off is what is best for the team. The only way we can accomplish that is to improve the right side of the offensive line. 

Keeping the offense on the field and keeping our defense off is what is best for the team. The only way we can accomplish that is to improve the right side of the offensive line. 

I think you're being overly dogmatic. For starters, using a first rounder on OL isn't the only way we can improve the right side of the line. Beyond that, it can be argued that the right side of the line is already improved. Lastly, the defense is going to have to get itself off the field from time to time.

I think you're being overly dogmatic. For starters, using a first rounder on OL isn't the only way we can improve the right side of the line. Beyond that, it can be argued that the right side of the line is already improved. Lastly, the defense is going to have to get itself off the field from time to time.

How has the right side of our offensive line improved?

Because we signed another Eagle to play RG for 1 year?

I think you're not looking at this issue clearly enough. We could easily find our team in desperation mode if we do not have a formidable player readily available to step in and play RT at a very high level. 

We have a circus going on at center, and for the love of God I cannot figure out why most Colts fans are OK with that. We have a RT who was placed on IR at the end last season. Gosder has managed to play a full year only twice in his career, and those groin injuries are no joke. 

The only positives regarding the Colts offensive line is Anthony Castonzo and Jack Mewhort. Those guys are studs. Outside of them, our offensive line is a wreck. I am tired of watching the Colts offensive line get beat up. I am tired of not having success running the ball. And I am tired of losing to the Patriots. 

If we walk into the 2015 season with this current offensive line then we don't have a chance. Our schedule brutal, and we will play some outstanding defenses this year. It doesn't matter how good the rest of the team is. With this offensive line we will get our butts handed to us.

I think you're not looking at this issue clearly enough. We could easily find our team in desperation mode if we do not have a formidable player readily available to step in and play RT at a very high level. 

We have a circus going on at center, and for the love of God I cannot figure out why most Colts fans are OK with that. We have a RT who was placed on IR at the end last season. Gosder has managed to play a full year only twice in his career, and those groin injuries are no joke. 

The only thing that we have going with the Colts offensive line is Anthony Castonzo and Jack Mewhort. Those guys are studs. Outside of them, our offensive line is a wreck. I am tired of watching the Colts offensive line get beat up. I am tired of not having success running the ball. And I am tired of losing to the Patriots. 

If we walk into the 2015 season with this current offensive line then we don't have a chance. Our schedule brutal, and we will play some outstanding defenses this year. It doesn't matter how good the rest of the team is. With this offensive line we will get our butts handed to us.

The center-right side of the line was much improved in the playoffs, with Holmes, Louis and Reitz. Assume Herremans starts at RG and Reitz or Cherilus start at RT, and that's better than the line we were using most of the last season. There are any number of combinations at RG/RT that are better than what we did last season.

I mostly agree with you on Cherilus. I think he's past being useful to us. Based on Grigson's recent comments, they're going to wait and evaluate him. I just hope he doesn't get hurt again. Same with Thomas.

At center, I think Holmes is the guy. If he's not, we're not drafting a center at #29, so that's another conversation entirely.

And as I mentioned, the heart of the matter is that drafting a lineman at #29 isn't the only way we can make the offensive line better. There are G/T prospects all throughout the top 100 in this draft that can play right away in 2015. If one of them is the smart choice at #29, then great. If not, there's still #61 and #93 and so on. It's not "OL or bust" in the first round, nor should it be.

I totally disagree with the bolded, and I'm positive the Colts staff disagrees also.

The center-right side of the line was much improved in the playoffs, with Holmes, Louis and Reitz. Assume Herremans starts at RG and Reitz or Cherilus start at RT, and that's better than the line we were using most of the last season. There are any number of combinations at RG/RT that are better than what we did last season.

I can't even begin to explain how much I disagree with your first statement. Had that been written by anyone less then I would have not even read the rest of your post. Our offensive line was doo-doo against the Patriots, and we got blown out of the water in New England. They destroyed us. We managed to put together one scoring drive against the Patriots. How can anyone say that our offensive line improved later in the season? It was brutal. They beat the brakes off of us. We were crying Uncle by mid-third quarter. We were trying to run the clock out late in the game while the Patriots were in pass defense and we still couldn't keep a drive going. Think about that for a moment. We were down 31 points late in the game, the Patriots were in prevent defense, and we still could not run the ball. They absolutely embarrassed us. We were trying to concede the game, and our offensive line was so terrible that we couldn't even do that right.

I mostly agree with you on Cherilus. I think he's past being useful to us. Based on Grigson's recent comments, they're going to wait and evaluate him. I just hope he doesn't get hurt again. Same with Thomas.

I am not optimistic about Gosder's future. We have serious problems at RT right now. Thomas isn't coming back. We know he can play when he is healthy, but he is never healthy. We cannot depend on either of them. Betting on either of them is equivalent to pissing in the wind.

At center, I think Holmes is the guy. If he's not, we're not drafting a center at #29, so that's another conversation entirely.

Do you really believe Holmes is the answer? An undrafted free agent rookie was playing ahead of him until late last season. And so many Colts fans get excited about Harrison at center. I am going to make this very simple. When fans are used to eating crap at center, and a someone hands them a cracker, well that cracker is going to taste like a King Crab.

And as I mentioned, the heart of the matter is that drafting a lineman at #29 isn't the only way we can make the offensive line better. There are G/T prospects all throughout the top 100 in this draft that can play right away in 2015. If one of them is the smart choice at #29, then great. If not, there's still #61 and #93 and so on. It's not "OL or bust" in the first round, nor should it be.

The heart of the matter is if we go into the 2015 season with this offensive line then no Colts fan should get his hopes up. We have to play the defenses of the AFC East, Carolina, the Texans twice, and God help us against the Titans twice with Dick Lebeau running that show.

I totally disagree with the bolded, and I'm positive the Colts staff disagrees also.

Even Walter Payton would look average with this offensive line. We are in deep snot if the Colts front office believes our offensive line is fine just the way it is. We can sign all of the Frank Gore's and Andre Johnson's we want to, but if we cannot pass block and we cannot run block then it doesn't matter.

I can't even begin to explain how much I disagree with your first statement. Had that been written by anyone less then I would have not even read the rest of your post. Our offensive line was doo-doo against the Patriots, and we got blown out of the water in New England. They destroyed us. We managed to put together one scoring drive against the Patriots. How can anyone say that our offensive line improved later in the season? It was brutal. They beat the brakes off of us. We were crying Uncle by mid-third quarter. We were trying to run the clock out late in the game while the Patriots were in pass defense and we still couldn't keep a drive going. Think about that for a moment. We were down 31 points late in the game, the Patriots were in prevent defense, and we still could not run the ball. They absolutely embarrassed us. We were trying to concede the game, and our offensive line was so terrible that we couldn't even do that right.

I am not optimistic about Gosder's future. We have serious problems at RT right now. Thomas isn't coming back. We know he can play when he is healthy, but he is never healthy. We cannot depend on either of them. Betting on either of them is equivalent to pissing in the wind.

Do you really believe Holmes is the answer? An undrafted free agent rookie was playing ahead of him until late last season. And so many Colts fans get excited about Harrison at center. I am going to make this very simple. When fans are used to eating crap at center, and a someone hands them a cracker, well that cracker is going to taste like a King Crab.

The heart of the matter is if we go into the 2015 season with this offensive line then no Colts fan should get his hopes up. We have to play the defenses of the AFC East, Carolina, the Texans twice, and God help us against the Titans twice with Dick Lebeau running that show.

Even Walter Payton would look average with this offensive line. We are in deep snot if the Colts front office believes our offensive line is fine just the way it is. We can sign all of the Frank Gore's and Andre Johnson's we want to, but if we cannot pass block and we cannot run block then it doesn't matter.

For one, I think you are being overly dramatic about the whole situation and I'm even in favor of going OL in round IF the right guy is there.

"Our offensive line was doo-doo against the Patriots"

Eh.. no it wasn't, and I know it's practically blasphemy to say anything bad about the guy around here, but Luck played like complete garbage. Herron was averaging 5ypc in the first half, yet the playcalling favored Luck chucking it around all over the place. Mind you, it was a 1 possession game coming out of halftime, so there was no need to move completely away from running, especially when they were having success with it. Don't get me wrong the defense did the team no favors, but the constant 3 and outs, or short drives by the offense, put our defense in a *-poor position all night as well.

The Patriots games are an absolute HORRIBLE way to base what the team's strategy is when it comes to the draft.

I have to agree,atleast somewhat with Blueshoe. Our OL has lots of question marks with C & RT and the future at RG. I think it can/will be improved over most of last year's performance but that's mostly because most of last year's play really,really sucked.

I think we can only realistically hope for a "average" unit at best if things go ok.

The only positives regarding the Colts offensive line is Anthony Castonzo and Jack Mewhort. Those guys are studs. Outside of them, our offensive line is a wreck. I am tired of watching the Colts offensive line get beat up. I am tired of not having success running the ball. And I am tired of losing to the Patriots. 

I'm not sure what it means for a o-line to be good enough?  People plug in some mid round picks and say we are set.  When Manning got his ring, we ran the ball on the Bears.  Rhodes looked like superman.  Luck can't do it by himself.  Do we honestly think Gore is going to have a good season with this line?  Sometimes players don't work out.  Holmes and Thornton have not proven they can get the job done.  I'm not saying you need 5 first round draft picks, but you need to KEEP investing until you get something that is good, and not hopefully adequate.  The Seahawks do this.  They are famous for swinging, and if they miss, swinging again until they get it right. 

The right tackle position is tricky.  The FA market is awful at RT.  I also don't think there will be a RT who will deserved to be chosen at 29.  We shouldn't reach, but we should definately make the OL a position of interest.  Either you want to run the ball, or you don't.  Besides Castonzo and Mewhort, we don't have anybody who is even considered good at run blocking.  It is odd that everyone seems okay with this.  Herremans would be a third lineman who can run block, but if only three o-lineman on your entire team can run block, that can't be good. 

The tackle spot will probably be a problem this year, but there is nothing we can really do about that with this draft.  We could still strengthen the interior.  Guys I like are Cameron Erving, Jamon Brown and Shaq Mason.  Erving would be a plug and play center.  Jamon Brown could probably push for the right guard spot.  I see him going somewhere in the 4th.  Shaq Mason is projected as a fifth or lower pick, and at the very worst could provide competition at both guard and center.  People always complain that we can't run the ball and that our line is awful, but at the same time they seem completely unwilling to invest in improving it.  I'm not sure what kind of magic fix people are expecting.  It won't fix itself.

I don't get why we need an Olineman at #29.

We're set when it comes to our starting 5:

AC - Mewhort - Holmes/Harrison - Herremans - Cherilus

No olineman we potentially take at #29 will start this year. Lets not forget Grigson doesn't generally like rookie O-linemen starting. Maybe next year if we elect to let Cherilus walk, but lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

Id rather take a starter on the Dline instead of a backup on the Oline.

To me... this is the key statement on this thread

An OL player at the end of round one would have trouble breaking this years starting lineup

Grigs has made the comment before about how tough it is for a rookie OL to start their first year

(Mewhort is the exception) 

I am in the camp that the current OL is better than last year

Our RT was playing injured all year, but was better than average, and even very good in the years before.

The RG spot WAS filled with a capable player from the Eagles. He was injured last year but was very good pushing the pile in every year before that

People have written off our RT....I havent (at least not for this next year)... Players come back from injury

all the time.

I would pick BPA - on DEFENSE in 2 spots in rounds 1-3. I still think we may pull the trigger on Tevon in rnd 2,

if he is there

The recent comments from Pags said it all ..... He HAS to stop the run.. to keep his job

To me this is code for putting some better folks on the DL

I would pick at least 2 OL players in the rest of the draft..... to develop into future starters

AND..... I would be active in June 1 cuts, and in final cuts in finding a potential depth and future developmental for this year (We are thin)

See, I don't get this thinking at all. Wouldn't it be better just to take the most talented player regardless of whether he'll start or not his first year? 

See, I don't get this thinking at all. Wouldn't it be better just to take the most talented player regardless of whether he'll start or not his first year? 

Dustin....

I'm not disagreeing with you here,  but I'm curious about something....

Wasn't i earlier this week that you and I were in agreement that many (most?) teams aren't drafting BPA, they're targeting guys in each round?     And you seemed fine with that approach in your posts.

Now,  you seem to be arguing for BPA no matter what?      At least, that appears to be your view.

Am I misunderstanding you?

Dustin....

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I'm curious about something....

Wasn't i earlier this week that you and I were in agreement that many (most?) teams aren't drafting BPA, they're targeting guys in each round? And you seemed fine with that approach in your posts.

Now, you seem to be arguing for BPA no matter what? At least, that appears to be your view.

Am I misunderstanding you?

Teams don't, but it won't stop me campaigning for it.

I just think we have a 1-2 year window before our cap gets massacred by the 5 medium to large contracts we have to give out.

I'd rather take the player who can have an impact immediately and improve the team the most.

If we didn't have glaring holes across the Dline and S then I'd probably go BPA as well. But I'd rather fill a hole that we have now rather than a hole we may have in the future.

We already have decent depth across the Oline as well.

I just think we have a 1-2 year window before our cap gets massacred by the 5 medium to large contracts we have to give out.

I'd rather take the player who can have an impact immediately and improve the team the most.

If we didn't have glaring holes across the Dline and S then I'd probably go BPA as well. But I'd rather fill a hole that we have now rather than a hole we may have in the future.

We already have decent depth across the Oline as well.

Taking a D Lineman in the draft in the 1st round just to take a D Lineman wont improve the team the most nor does it mean he should have been taken in the 1st round...Ok it will fill a hole but that can be done with about 4-5 D Linemen at least sitting in FA right now

Taking a D Lineman in the draft in the 1st round just to take a D Lineman wont improve the team the most nor does it mean he should have been taken in the 1st round...Ok it will fill a hole but that can be done with about 4-5 D Linemen at least sitting in FA right now

Granted.

But you need to cross BPA with need.

Dline is a need, S is a need. If no one is there at those positions that we like at #29. Then you start talking trade back scenarios.

You think there are 4-5 D-lineman sitting in free agency right now who can play to the level of a 1st round D-lineman in the upcoming draft?     I'm talking about the guys we've been talking about here for months?

Goldman?    Phillips?