Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Best FA Signing(From Another Team) Ever?

SteelDragon

If Unitas was a FA (Some seem unsure) then he's obviously #1.  Saturday would be #2 in my opinion.  Vinatieri would be #3.  

The sad thing is that there's so few to choose from that turned out well.  It seems Draft is really the way to go and an occasional quality trade like Davis and Dickerson.  

FA is like what's going on now.  Signing players from other teams that have designated them as FA, and can only be signed 

during the FA period.  

A player that has been cut or not attached to any team can be signed anytime.

Yeah I know, that's being kind picky, but..........there is a difference. :blah: 

From the Luck Era -- I think the best FA we've signed since Luck (as far as most valuable -- this isn't based on his stats) has been our QB is Matt Hasselbeck.  Donnie Avery did well.  Cory Redding has been good, maybe moreso for his leadership and familiarity with Chuck's D than his actual on-the-field performance.  Bradshaw has been very good at times.  I think Art Jones will eventually be the best signing since we've had Luck on the team to this date.  Mike Adams and D'Qwell Jackson were good in their only year here to date -- and if we count CFL players, Freeman has been pretty darn good for us.

From the Manning Era -- Vinatieri was probably the best FA we signed, followed closely by Saturday (though I think Saturday is kind of controversial, as he never played a down for another team before we signed him -- yes, he was signed by the Ravens in April 1998 as an undrafted FA but he was released in June 1998 -- the Colts signed him after he worked in an electrical supply store for 6 months).  The only other impact FA signings I can remember who had big impacts were Bratzke, Jeff Burris, Booger, Cornelius Bennett (who had 2 pretty good years to finish his career in '99 and 2000), and if we count CFL players we have to count that * kicker, Vanderjagt.

I became a Colts' fan when I was 8 years old (1994), so my all time favorite Colts FA signing is Jim Harbaugh.  The 1995 season, in my time as a Colts' fan, was the most exciting season and we were 'oh, so close' to the Super Bowl.  I always loved the heart, fire, and passion that Harbaugh played with and really am thankful for the few years of excitement he brought before the Manning era.

FA is like what's going on now. Signing players from other teams that have designated them as FA, and can only be signed

during the FA period.

A player that has been cut or not attached to any team can be signed anytime.

Yeah I know, that's being kind picky, but..........there is a difference. :blah:

no there isn't. A free agent is a player that doesn't currently have a contract. That's why undrafted players are called "undrafted ftee agents"

From the Luck Era -- I think the best FA we've signed since Luck (as far as most valuable -- this isn't based on his stats) has been our QB is Matt Hasselbeck.  Donnie Avery did well.  Cory Redding has been good, maybe moreso for his leadership and familiarity with Chuck's D than his actual on-the-field performance.  Bradshaw has been very good at times.  I think Art Jones will eventually be the best signing since we've had Luck on the team to this date.  Mike Adams and D'Qwell Jackson were good in their only year here to date -- and if we count CFL players, Freeman has been pretty darn good for us.

From the Manning Era -- Vinatieri was probably the best FA we signed, followed closely by Saturday (though I think Saturday is kind of controversial, as he never played a down for another team before we signed him -- yes, he was signed by the Ravens in April 1998 as an undrafted FA but he was released in June 1998 -- the Colts signed him after he worked in an electrical supply store for 6 months).  The only other impact FA signings I can remember who had big impacts were Bratzke, Jeff Burris, Booger, Cornelius Bennett (who had 2 pretty good years to finish his career in '99 and 2000), and if we count CFL players we have to count that * kicker, Vanderjagt.

I became a Colts' fan when I was 8 years old (1994), so my all time favorite Colts FA signing is Jim Harbaugh.  The 1995 season, in my time as a Colts' fan, was the most exciting season and we were 'oh, so close' to the Super Bowl.  I always loved the heart, fire, and passion that Harbaugh played with and really am thankful for the few years of excitement he brought before the Manning era.

Crushed it!

I agree, I think it was Jim Harbaugh. Captain Comeback was, more or less, brought in to back up the monumental bust, Craig Erickson. Therefore, the Colts struck gold with Harbs by luck, not design.

Just saying maybe FA isn't the be all, end all that fantasy and NFL Madden players portend it to be.

JVAN

Designated was probably not the right term for FA.   As you said,  a player without contract is.  But a FA can only be signed

during the FA period.

They may end up being cut if they are not signed by another team.

UFA is not the same as FA.  UFA can be signed any time by any team.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this.  It's just a play of words,  But technicality :thmup:   UFA, FA, and being cut are all different. O.o

JVAN

Designated was probably not the right term for FA. As you said, a player without contract is. But a FA can only be signed

during the FA period.

UFA is not the same as FA. UFA can be signed any time by any team.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this. It's just a play of words, But technicality :thmup: UFA, FA, and being cut are all different. O.o

Yeah, that's not what UFA means. It just means they aren't a restricted free agent.

JVAN

Designated was probably not the right term for FA. As you said, a player without contract is. But a FA can only be signed

during the FA period.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this. It's just a play of words, But technicality :thmup: UFA, FA, and being cut are all different. O.o

if you aren't making it into a big deal, why do you keep hammering on it?

Where did I say that. If you can find that in my post I'll find a way to give you $1million

Apologies - I thought we were asked who the best ever Colts FA was, not a really really really average one.

Continue with your vital contributions.

JVAN

during the FA period.

When a player is cut they become a free agent.

Apologies - I thought we were asked who the best ever Colts FA was, not a really really really average one.

Continue with your vital contributions.

Well, I would probrably agree with you on the player who you felt was the best but i see you havent contibuted anything to the convo....at all....