Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lesean McCoy Traded to Bills for LB Kiko Alonso (Merge)

Nobody

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's good all the way around. 

Philly:

Sproles is still good

They free up a bunch of cap from Shady's contract

They get a seemingly good LB which was a need (for cheap)

Instead of using a pick on a LB, they can throw that pick into the mix for moving up to draft a QB

Bills: 

They get a good RB to cover their QB inadequacy

It seems like they have good LB's waiting in the wings 

Shady still has some life in those legs IMO

We all know hoe the Hughes trade worked out for them.....can lightning strike twice for them? 

Bills were had.

He was one of the best rookies in the Class of 2013; and then missed all of the 2014 season with a torn ACL.

IMO   Chip Kelly & his love for former Ducks has him wearing rose colored glasses ,  The Philadelphia Ducks were hoodwinked .

A proven commodity for 1 hit wonder coming back from serious injury my question is why so much for so little ? Other than maybe salaries . It just seems to me a really stupid move .

IMO   Chip Kelly & his love for former Ducks has him wearing rose colored glasses ,  The Philadelphia Ducks were hoodwinked .

A proven commodity for 1 hit wonder coming back from serious injury my question is why so much for so little ? Other than maybe salaries . It just seems to me a really stupid move .

They wanted to off-load his contract. They wanted anything they could get before they cut him. 

Going beyond the financial motivations,the Eagles running game comes mostly out of the Shotgun/spread formations so there are normally good sized holes for any decent to good running back to run through.  I can sort of see why Chip felt it was worth the risk, especially this year with so many good running backs on the FA market and coming out of college this would be the year to make this type of move I suppose. 

As I mentioned just a post or two ago, I bet they will draft somebody like Duke Johnson to replace him.  Then you also picked up(assuming he comes back from the ACL) what amounts to a stud rookie linebacker in Kiko Alonso.  It may look a little hazy right now, but I bet it will look a little better as the season progresses.

can someone tell chip this isnt oregon

It's not like they traded their best running back and one of the leagues best running backs for a former Oregon player or anything haha.  I really don't understand what he's doing. First Jackson then McCoy.  Next he will cripple his future for Mariota!

One thing I can guarantee, is that the Eagles will not be average.  They will either be very successful, or fail.  I certainly won't bet against Chip.

is that the Eagles will not be average.      As the last 2 years plainly shows .

They will either be very successful, or fail.       Obviously   are they better after this trade ?  Then they were last year ?

IMO if the running game is as successful or even better then hes a Genius who saved millions & if  Alonso can return to something close to what he was as a rookie its iceing on the cake .

This is all possible as its been pointed out to me the shot gun & spread formations leave big holes .

Everything I've seen says they are gonna be a major player in Mariota so that franchise will be crippled

They do have Foles as a trade bait if they want to go that route.  Foles will probably fetch a pretty good price from some team in need of a QB.  I personally would rather have Foles then Mariota.  

They do have Foles as a trade bait if they want to go that route. Foles will probably fetch a pretty good price from some team in need of a QB. I personally would rather have Foles then Mariota.

I would too Mariota won't be that good unless he goes to Philly IMO if I was buffalo I would have traded for Foles and resigned spiller

is that the Eagles will not be average.      As the last 2 years plainly shows .

They will either be very successful, or fail.       Obviously   are they better after this trade ?  Then they were last year ?

IMO if the running game is as successful or even better then hes a Genius who saved millions & if  Alonso can return to something close to what he was as a rookie its iceing on the cake .

This is all possible as its been pointed out to me the shot gun & spread formations leave big holes .

Chip wasn't given control to cast his vision until this off-season.  He inherited a team that wasn't his and didn't fit his system.  Now with full control, he's going to build his team, for better or for worse.

Possible that the Bills re-fleece him for picks? They obviously weren't sure about Alonso, and with McCoy they now have value for the market in returning picks they probably never would have gotten close to with Alonso.

I don't think that was the plan.  If it was I don't know that it is a good one.  You trade a potential stud LB for a RB with a massive salary in a year in which there is a ton of RBs available in FA, and the draft has a very deep RB class.  If they traded for him hoping to flip him I think they are going to be disappointed.

I would too Mariota won't be that good unless he goes to Philly IMO if I was buffalo I would have traded for Foles and resigned spiller

I don't think the Bills made a good decision here either.  Too many good RB's in the draft and free agency, no reason to give Kiko away for McCoy.

If Chip does this I would look for Foles to be part of a package on draft day to trade up and get Mariota.  Most likely he's already lining up a trade partner in the top 5 and if Mariota isn't taken by that point they will pull the trigger on the trade on draft day to get him.  I honestly don't think you will see the trade happen before then because Chip has to know for sure that he's gonna have Mariota before he trades Foles away.  

Foles can play in the pocket, Mariota has to learn that.  I would not be surprised to see a straight up Foles for your pick trade or perhaps even a Foles and my 1st rounder for your 1st rounder.  (Essentially trading Foles to move up in the 1st round.)

I don't think the Bills made a good decision here either. Too many good RB's in the draft and free agency, no reason to give Kiko away for McCoy.

If Chip does this I would look for Foles to be part of a package on draft day to trade up and get Mariota. Most likely he's already lining up a trade partner in the top 5 and if Mariota isn't taken by that point they will pull the trigger on the trade on draft day to get him. I honestly don't think you will see the trade happen before then because Chip has to know for sure that he's gonna have Mariota before he trades Foles away.

exactly it just didn't make any sense to me why the bills did this just draft a RB or resign Spiller the bills should be way more focused on the QB position they will prolly fall for the Mark Sanchez trick and get him in FA

I don't think the Bills made a good decision here either. Too many good RB's in the draft and free agency, no reason to give Kiko away for McCoy.

If Chip does this I would look for Foles to be part of a package on draft day to trade up and get Mariota. Most likely he's already lining up a trade partner in the top 5 and if Mariota isn't taken by that point they will pull the trigger on the trade on draft day to get him. I honestly don't think you will see the trade happen before then because Chip has to know for sure that he's gonna have Mariota before he trades Foles away.

Foles can play in the pocket, Mariota has to learn that. I would not be surprised to see a straight up Foles for your pick trade or perhaps even a Foles and my 1st rounder for your 1st rounder. (Essentially trading Foles to move up in the 1st round.)

ehh idk if Foles for a pick straight up is enough teams usually get quite a but for picks to get a QB

Player-for-player trades are so rare and usually pretty awesome from an entertainment standpoint. This one qualifies. 

I think it speaks to the devaluing of NFL running backs. It was once a marquee position but now, not so much. Coaches and GMs are realizing that the committee approach can work, is cheaper than having a stud, and overall that strategy is more resilient in terms of injuries and roster turnover. 

It'll be interesting to see who "wins" this trade. Buffalo's offensive line is not as good as Philly's so I wonder how good McCoy is going to be up there. Alonso strikes me as a steady type of performer more than a game-changing play-maker. Time will tell I guess. 

This is a lose-lose trade. Bad situations for both teams.

Yeah, no, it's the opposite. Buffalo had ILB depth and wants a RB that can carry stone load.

The Eagles need defensive help and can plug and play at RB with their system, plus they saved 15 million.

I had the "privilege" of listening to two numbskulls talking about this trade on the radio last night. They have predicted that the Eagles will fail, and Chip Kelly will be fired after 2015. Their reasoning is that -- get this -- they have no running backs. 

3cd8a33a.png

This trade is a case of dumb and dumber IMO. Chip Kelly just got rid of it his best offensive weapon which leaves him with none as he cut Jackson last year. He has Foles as his QB who was not very good in the limited amount of games he played. So when Foles struggles, who is there to pick up the slack? Not to mention this high octane offense gases his offense as much as any defense he plays. Again, this has shades of McDaniels when he went to Denver and got rid of Cutler and Marshall. I am sure Kelly has a plan but right now it is only apparent to him.

In terms of the Bills, you never trade a top defensive player for a RB. This is similar to the Colts giving the number one for Trent although at least McCoy is a proven solid back. I get it more on Rex's end though as he needs to run given he has no QB and he has to be able to ball control to keep the Pats from hanging 30+ on him every game. But he could have had a quality back in the draft for nothing and he also has Spiller and Jackson on the roster who are very good/stud backs. RB was NOT a need for him.

Well the Bills are primed to make a playoff run with that defense and Rex things its time to go all out. He has enough cap since that team is young, so they haven't really committed huge contracts to many of their players, so they still have room to add via free agency.