Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ILB draft board

Hard to predict because it's a very weak position.

Not a very talented class of ILB's.....

ive had a very hard time finding an ILB behind the top 3 to get excited about besides maybe ramik wilson who had a very good combine and i have to agree the ILB's arent very strong.

one of my favorite things about the draft is researching the mid to late rounders and finding prospects i really feel could be steals for the colts and at ILB its almost impossible this year

I don't care that Dawson didn't look great today. The kids a stud, and his tape backs it up. He's going to be a Lavonte David type star IMO. So I still want him. I've never been big on McKinney personally. I really like Anthony now though. I wouldn't mind him if we don't get Dawson. BTW, I think we need to pick up an ILB in the 6th or so too to be a backup since A. Jackson and McNary are both gone.  A guy like Hull would be nice if he's there.

After combine its very easy who I want

Stephone Anthony

He might be the best "value" at ILB this year. We would most likely have to go 1st round for Kendricks, and as far as the rest of the ILBs, I would rather wait until the 4th round to get a guy like Anthony than draft a guy like McKinney or Dawson in the 2nd.

Been thinking about it. If Dawson is there in the 3rd I hope the Colts draft him. His bad combine might give those character concerns some merit though. He looked like he wasn't trying. But he'll definitely be there in the 2nd I think, and after I go watch his tape again I'll probably be fine with the Colts taking him if he's there.

I want Kendricks doe.

I would like to have Kendricks over all of them.  Anthony is gaining more of my attention lately as the days go by.

However I've been debating in my mind if the Colts will even spend a high pick on an ILB at all.  If you look at things closely, no matter who they draft that player is not going to play over Freeman and Dqwell Jackson.  At the most it would be on passing downs unless an injury happened.  Do we really even need to spend a high draft pick on something like that when most of our troubles are in the trenches offensively and defensively?  

I'm just asking the question out loud. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts didn't address the ILB position until later on in the draft, while spending the early picks on OL, DL, and maybe a running back somewhere in there.  It wouldn't shock me if we didn't pick up an ILB till around the 5th to 6th rounds just like we did with Newsome and A. Jackson.  

I would like to have Kendricks over all of them. Anthony is gaining more of my attention lately as the days go by.

However I've been debating in my mind if the Colts will even spend a high pick on an ILB at all. If you look at things

closely, no matter who they draft that player is not going to play over Freeman and Dqwell Jackson. At the most

it would be on passing downs unless an injury happened. But do we really even need to spend a high draft pick on something like that when most of our troubles are in the trenches offensively and defensively?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts didn't address the ILB position until later on in the draft, while spending the early

picks on OL, DL, and maybe a running back somewhere in there. It wouldn't shock me if we didn't pick up an ILB

till around the 5th to 6th rounds just like we did with Newsome and A. Jackson.

we don't know if freeman will be here

I would like to have Kendricks over all of them.  Anthony is gaining more of my attention lately as the days go by.

However I've been debating in my mind if the Colts will even spend a high pick on an ILB at all.  If you look at things closely, no matter who they draft that player is not going to play over Freeman and Dqwell Jackson.  At the most it would be on passing downs unless an injury happened.  Do we really even need to spend a high draft pick on something like that when most of our troubles are in the trenches offensively and defensively?  

I'm just asking the question out loud. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts didn't address the ILB position until later on in the draft, while spending the early picks on OL, DL, and maybe a running back somewhere in there.  It wouldn't shock me if we didn't pick up an ILB till around the 5th to 6th rounds just like we did with Newsome and A. Jackson.  

Good question, but if you can grab a guy who can cover TEs, you can run multiple fronts and packages on passing downs. Then 2016 is a different conversation.

Besides, I think it's going to be BPA all the way through. If that means an ILB early, then things will work themselves out. 

Good question, but if you can grab a guy who can cover TEs, you can run multiple fronts and packages on passing downs. Then 2016 is a different conversation.

Besides, I think it's going to be BPA all the way through. If that means an ILB early, then things will work themselves out. 

would be amazing to be able to cover tight ends for a change

I don't care that Dawson didn't look great today. The kids a stud, and his tape backs it up. He's going to be a Lavonte David type star IMO. So I still want him. I've never been big on McKinney personally. I really like Anthony now though. I wouldn't mind him if we don't get Dawson. BTW, I think we need to pick up an ILB in the 6th or so too to be a backup since A. Jackson and McNary are both gone.  A guy like Hull would be nice if he's there.

If LeVonte David was on the Colts rather than on the Bucs,  odds are he wouldn't be Levonte David.

Why?     Because he's a natural 4-3 weakside backer.     He fits their system perfectly.

In our system,  he's a square peg in a round hole.

So,  the same might just be true for guys like Dawson and maybe even Hendrick, and any other smallish LB from this class.

Fit, is important in our system.   And if you don't fit,  your game can really be impacted....

I'd be cool if we took one wherever, but I was just questioning/theorizing if we could get by drafting an ILB later instead of early.  In my mind the biggest priorities are OL,OLB, DL, RB.  Inside linebacker is a need too, but it may not be as large as those other positions, plus this ILB group is not looking as strong as I thought.  Then you have to ask if the guys who have that ability to cover tight ends will even be there by the time we pick. 

I have some doubts that Kendricks will be there,  I'm really questioning Dawson now with his 4.9 forty, Perryman I have doubts about his coverage ability.  I don't have a strong feeling we will be picking Bernadrick Mckinney.  The one I like the best as of late is Stephone Anthony.  Good speed, good tackler, good height and the things I think he needs to work on are coachable.

Like Supe said BPA will probably rule over everything anyway, so I guess I'll just sit back and see what happens.

...If you look at things closely, no matter who they draft that player is not going to play over Freeman and Dqwell Jackson...

I do not disagree with you that Freeman and Jackson will be starters.

However, I think both are very replaceable, and if a rookie should play well, the position should be theirs for the taking.

A perfect example is Chris Borland. Borland, a 3rd round pick in 2014, came in for the 49ers due to injury and became one of the top LB's in the league

However, I think both are very replaceable, and if a rookie should play well, the position should be theirs for the taking.

A perfect example is Chris Borland. Borland, a 3rd round pick in 2014, came in for the 49ers due to injury and became one of the top LB's in the league

I like Borland but one of he top LBers in the league?

I like Borland but one of he top LBers in the league?

By any objective measure, yes. Albeit, it was over a short period of time, but Borland was a wrecking ball. They don't put him in tough coverage situations often, and that's clearly his weakness, but his instincts in the run game almost make up for it.

I think he's a good comparison for Perryman, actually. Short and stout, short arms, smallish hands, not rangy or twitchy, good instincts in the run and quick in short areas, arrives with power, good tackler, liability in coverage... Perryman will probably go top 50, whereas Borland dropped to the middle of the third.

Having gone back and watched some more film (and some repeat film), I'm starting to feel better about Stephone Anthony and Eric Kendricks, I haven't moved much on Perryman, I question Dawson's coverage ability more than I did before (admittedly influenced by his completely unexplosive Combine), unmoved on Shaq Thompson, unmoved on McKinney, and now somewhat impressed by Ramik Wilson.

I personally wouldn't give any of them strong first round grades.

Thompson, first/second

Kendricks, first/second

Perryman, second

Dawson, second/third

Anthony, second/third

McKinney, second/third

Wilson, third/fourth

If we are able to make a move on Anthony he's got everything you're looking for in a linebacker to me.

Needs to be coached up just a little bit, but he's got plenty of the intangibles you look for.  I especially

love his 6'3"height, 245 lb weight, and 4.5/4.6 speed when it comes to covering Tight Ends. Once Pagano,

Manusky and Fitzgerald(linebacker coach) get their hands on him it won't be long before he's a starter in my estimation.

If we are able to make a move on Anthony he's got everything you're looking for in a linebacker to me.

Needs to be coached up just a little bit, but he's got plenty of the intangibles you look for.  I especially

love his 6'3"height, 245 lb weight, and 4.5/4.6 speed when it comes to covering Tight Ends. Once Pagano,

Manusky and Fitzgerald(linebacker coach) get their hands on him it won't be long before he's a starter in my estimation.

Yup. I'm thinking he's going to be a top 75 player, though, and I don't know if #61 is good value. If he were there, it would depend on who else was still available, but I'd probably be okay with that pick. Personally, he, Kendricks and Dawson are my favorite three. 

With kendricks killing the combine, dawson dropping the bomb, and perryman concerncs as a 3 down linebackr and benardricks coverage concerns where will each go like ranged in rounds?

Stephone Anthony   4o  yrds 4.56.

Ben Heeney 40 yrds  4.59

Bryce Hager  40 yrds 4.61

An ILB has to have some height/length in the 34, IMO.  Seems like Anthony has the measurables and speed at least.  I like the idea of trading back from #29 and get an ILB in the mid second.  Seems like Anthony will be there, amongst others.

Why trade back? Why not take BPA at #29, and figure the second round out later? I think there will be plenty of good players at #29.

Why trade back? Why not take BPA at #29, and figure the second round out later? I think there will be plenty of good players at #29.

Because I want more good players.

I'd rather have picks # 43 and #77 rather than #29 to fill holes in ILB and DB depth.

I think we go vet FAs for the trenches this year.  Got plenty of youngsters there, don't need more.

We should have drafted Borland!

Because I want more good players.

I'd rather have picks # 43 and #77 rather than #29 to fill holes in ILB and DB depth.

I think we go vet FAs for the trenches this year.  Got plenty of youngsters there, don't need more.

Why not take the best player available? Why pass on a good player at #29? A bird in the hand, right?

I think a lot of this "trade back" popularity is about falling in love with a bunch of prospects and wanting as many of them as possible. But I can only get with that if you can defend the notion that there's little difference between the 29th player in the draft and the 43rd player. Of course, that's subjective, but the point is that the better player should trump the idea of adding two lesser players, unless the difference is practically insignificant.

Then there's the real world question about whether you can find a trade partner that will give you true value for #29, in this year's draft (don't want 2016 picks in exchange for 2015 picks).

I'd just make my team board (players my team wants, in order), and a value board (the order I think every player will be selected, whether I want them or not), and sit tight. If a bunch of players not on my team board go ahead of where I have them on my value board -- QBs, TEs, RBs, etc. -- then it might push my #29 down into the late 30s/early 40s range, and then I might understand a trade down. But that's something that has to be determined on draft day.