Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Green Bay DL in Serious Trouble...

NewColtsFan

Some Packers DL that I'm not familiar with is in hot water.  (Letroy Guion)

He got pulled over in Florida...   and in his truck was found, a gun,  a lot of marijuana,  and 190K in cash.

Something tells me that this is much, MUCH more serious than DQJ getting into it with a Pizza Deliver Guy over a parking space...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12278069/letroy-guion-green-bay-packers-arrested-marijuana-possession?addata=module-b

While Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Letroy Guion may have trouble explaining why he had 357 grams of marijuana in his car, it does appear he may have legitimate explanations for his hand gun and nearly $200,000 in cash.

According to Adam Caplan of ESPN.com. Guion’s hand gun was unloaded in a box with a permit to carry in Minnesota. In addition, the $190,028.21 he was carrying was able to be connected to Guion’s bank accounts and was intended to help his family in Florida.

Guion was initially pulled over for failure to maintain a single lane. He was released on $100,000 bond.

-PFT

Some Packers DL that I'm not familiar with is in hot water. (Letroy Guion)

He got pulled over in Florida... and in his truck was found, a gun, a lot of marijuana, and 190K in cash.

Something tells me that this is much, MUCH more serious than DQJ getting into it with a Pizza Deliver Guy over a parking space...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12278069/letroy-guion-green-bay-packers-arrested-marijuana-possession?addata=module-b

For a minute there I thought he'd carjacked Jimmy Irsay.

A quick question:  If the gun was indeed registered to him and unloaded in a box, is that a crime?  I don't know the ins and outs of guns laws but I thought a conceal permit was not needed if the gun was being transported unloaded and not accessible.  

I think it's funny how they are using the metric system to make 357 grams sound like a lot more weed than 12.6 ounces.  

LOL @ them laying out the change on the table. I don't know why I find that so funny.

It is funny.  That whole town is a joke to begin with.  The police there are well-known for their corrupt tactics.  Having been there a few times, I can assure you that no one there even knows what the metric system even is.

All of those little towns around that area (Starke, Waldo, Lawtey, Hampton) have been under fire recently for police abusing their power.  

A quick question: If the gun was indeed registered to him and unloaded in a box, is that a crime? I don't know the ins and outs of guns laws but I thought a conceal permit was not needed if the gun was being transported unloaded and not accessible.

I think it's funny how they are using the metric system to make 357 grams sound like a lot more weed than 12.6 ounces.

The gun by itself isn't illegal, but when they find someone with illegal drugs and a gun, ohhh boy!!!

That's every police departments dream to be able to lay out drugs and a firearm onto the table to get a nice photo op for the newspaper

Edited by SteelCityColt

A quick question:  If the gun was indeed registered to him and unloaded in a box, is that a crime?  I don't know the ins and outs of guns laws but I thought a conceal permit was not needed if the gun was being transported unloaded and not accessible.  

If the carry permit is for Minnesota then I think it's still a crime....since he was in FLA.

Other than the marijuana there is no crime.  2nd Amendment protects his carrying the gun, the conceal carry permit shows he has passed all illegal background checks, there is no law against a person carrying whatever amount of money they want to carry and I'd be worried about a cop stealing my money as well.

Other than the marijuana there is no crime.  2nd Amendment protects his carrying the gun, the conceal carry permit shows he has passed all illegal background checks, there is no law against a person carrying whatever amount of money they want to carry and I'd be worried about a cop stealing my money as well.

Doesn't the permit only allow him to carry in the state in which it was obtained?

Doesn't the permit only allow him to carry in the state in which it was obtained?

It depends, I'm not familiar with Florida laws, but I know I have a Kansas licence and I can carry in Missouri as well and Texas.  

But it doesn't matter because he was not "carrying" it.  It was unloaded in a box, which as long as it's a registered gun then he can take it with him where ever he goes in the United States.  So the only way it could be illegal is if he had it on his person (body or clothing he's wearing) and if Florida does not have a reciprocity agreement with Minn.

Asset Forfeiture. . . if anyone doesn't know what it is. . . look it up.  It should scare you.

But this sounds really overblown.  The only crime here is apparently carrying 3/4ths of a pound of weed.  

Asset Forfeiture. . . if anyone doesn't know what it is. . . look it up.  It should scare you.

But this sounds really overblown.  The only crime here is apparently carrying 3/4ths of a pound of weed.  

It's been scaring me for years.  I first started researching it back in the late 90s when I read a Dean Koontz novel where Asset Forfeiture was minor plot theme in the book.

It was bad in the 90s, but it was limited, anymore they use it for even the most minor of issues.  Like we are supposed to believe the cops smelled marijuana as he was driving down the road with an open window.  Complete hogwash.

It's been scaring me for years.  I first started researching it back in the late 90s when I read a Dean Koontz novel where Asset Forfeiture was minor plot theme in the book.

It was bad in the 90s, but it was limited, anymore they use it for even the most minor of issues.  Like we are supposed to believe the cops smelled marijuana as he was driving down the road with an open window.  Complete hogwash.

John Oliver's segment on it really opened my eyes on it.  It's taking off now because they've changed the laws to allow the police departments to use that money for their own departments on top of their regular funds.

Really scary stuff.

A lot of Dean Koontz novels make reference to big brother.  I enjoy his books.  He also always has a dog in his stories.  

Well...   with 190k in cash,  the man might have just sold many, many, many more pounds of weed.....

Just thinking out loud,  but that strikes me as a reason for having that much cash on him.

By the way,  agree on Asset Forfeiture.    One of the most abused laws ever passed.

I'm not for carrying dope etc. but how did he let the stop go from lane change to auto search?  Unless the officer has probable cause to search the vehicle, you can say, "No, I'm not giving permission for a search.  Am I being detained or am I free to leave?"

That don't work. You don't have to give permission for the cops to search but they can keep you till a dog can be brought in. Then can continue to hold you till the search warrant is obtained.

It depends, I'm not familiar with Florida laws, but I know I have a Kansas licence and I can carry in Missouri as well and Texas.  

But it doesn't matter because he was not "carrying" it.  It was unloaded in a box, which as long as it's a registered gun then he can take it with him where ever he goes in the United States.  So the only way it could be illegal is if he had it on his person (body or clothing he's wearing) and if Florida does not have a reciprocity agreement with Minn.

With the addition of the money and weed can or would they charge him with a felony for the hand gun? Sometimes with those conditions some prosecutor will go for the felony conviction with the combination of all three.

That don't work. You don't have to give permission for the cops to search but they can keep you till a dog can be brought in. Then can continue to hold you till the search warrant is obtained.

Of course it does and it isn't about whether or not it does or "don't" work.  You may have been bullied by an unethical officer before.

You tell them that you do not give permission for search and make sure you say it loud enough to get your voice on the dash camera.  Ask if this concludes the traffic stop and if you are free to go.  You can ask why you are being detained.  Unless they've got something, most will tell you to have a good day at that point.  

A warrant is only obtained through probable cause.  With a car, you don't need a warrant but you do have to articulate probable cause enough to obtain a warrant since a car is movable.  

While Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Letroy Guion may have trouble explaining why he had 357 grams of marijuana in his car, it does appear he may have legitimate explanations for his hand gun and nearly $200,000 in cash.

According to Adam Caplan of ESPN.com. Guion’s hand gun was unloaded in a box with a permit to carry in Minnesota. In addition, the $190,028.21 he was carrying was able to be connected to Guion’s bank accounts and was intended to help his family in Florida.

Guion was initially pulled over for failure to maintain a single lane. He was released on $100,000 bond.

-PFT

The paper in the photo says 391 grams but who is counting?...lol

The combo of the gun, drugs, and cash can be more trouble for him whether the gun and cash are legitimate or not depending on the other circumstances in the case.