Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What the Colts should do (based on Madden) :)

Kyle

I play a lot of Madden.  I started a connected franchise with a few friends.  We simulated the 2014-15 season.  The Colts finished 10-6 and lost 1st round of the playoffs.  In the upcoming off-season I signed Demarco Murray, Suh, and Nate Soldier in FA.  I then drafted a MLB, S, C, and DE that all started for me the next season.

We then simulated the 2015-16 season.  The Colts finished at 13-3, had the #3 D and #1 O in the league, and won the Superbowl.

Madden has showed me that I could be the best GM in the NFL   ;)

I play a lot of Madden.  I started a connected franchise with a few friends.  We simulated the 2014-15 season.  The Colts finished 10-6 and lost 1st round of the playoffs.  In the upcoming off-season I signed Demarco Murray, Suh, and Nate Soldier in FA.  I then drafted a MLB, S, C, and DE that all started for me the next season.

We then simulated the 2015-16 season.  The Colts finished at 13-3, had the #3 D and #1 O in the league, and won the Superbowl.

Madden has showed me that I could be the best GM in the NFL   ;)

I keep hearing the Church Lady saying "Well, aren't you special".

I build through the draft though I was able to sign Stefen Wisniewski in FA, I don't know how people on Madden can do all these outrageous signings and not be in cap room hell. Nor would I want to anyway, I like the building and developing process of it all

I build through the draft though I was able to sign Stefen Wisniewski in FA, I don't know how people on Madden can do all these outrageous signings and not be in cap room hell. Nor would I want to anyway, I like the building and developing process of it all

What is so outrageous about those signings?  Colts badly need a mean guy on the DLine, oline help, and a franchise RB....  I signed 3 guys that fixed those problems.  I fully over-payed for them and still had money left to spend/carry over for next year when resigning Luck, TY, and Allen.   THEN I drafted 7 rookies to "build and develop".

A great team (in Madden or real life) will have to excel at developing young guys AND signing the right FA's.

Colts have a lot of cap room to spend this FA.  If we don't spend it on guys like Suh or Murray, we will be spending it on guys like Landry, Walden, and RJF....

While spending that money in FA, the Colts also still have plenty of young talent in Luck, TY, Moncrief, Fleener, Allen, Carter, Mewhort, Newsome, Davis, Toller, the 7 or so rookies we draft, and the undrafted rookies we sign.

By signing 3 or 4 bigger name FA, it in NO WAY hinders the building and development process of the Colts.

P.S. Gavin, I will COMPLETELY DESTROY you in Madden if you have XBox One and want to play.  :)

What is so outrageous about those signings?  Colts badly need a mean guy on the DLine, oline help, and a franchise RB....  I signed 3 guys that fixed those problems.  I fully over-payed for them and still had money left to spend/carry over for next year when resigning Luck, TY, and Allen.   THEN I drafted 7 rookies to "build and develop".

A great team (in Madden or real life) will have to excel at developing young guys AND signing the right FA's.

Colts have a lot of cap room to spend this FA.  If we don't spend it on guys like Suh or Murray, we will be spending it on guys like Landry, Walden, and RJF....

While spending that money in FA, the Colts also still have plenty of young talent in Luck, TY, Moncrief, Fleener, Allen, Carter, Mewhort, Newsome, Davis, Toller, the 7 or so rookies we draft, and the undrafted rookies we sign.

By signing 3 or 4 bigger name FA, it in NO WAY hinders the building and development process of the Colts.

P.S. Gavin, I will COMPLETELY DESTROY you in Madden if you have XBox One and want to play.   :)

Can we afford those guys Kyle?  I do not think so with Luck getting a new payday soon...and TY on the horizon with Fleener and Allen.

P.S. Gavin, I will COMPLETELY DESTROY you in Madden if you have XBox One and want to play.   :)

Im still on Xbox 360, The price for  an Xbox 1 is to high for my blood....350......No thanks.....Knock off 50 bucks and then we can talk is how I see it. Im actually thinking of getting a WII U and going back to where it all began for me with Mario Bros, Rather do that for 300$ then buy X1 for only 1 game that I buy now (Madden)

HA HA!

Lets play the game without real players and no injuries will ever occur.  Good for the health of the players.

But.....let us not get soooo carried away with Madden games.  That is why some of the younger audience does not know football.   :)

Actually there is a mode in the game that can teach you the strengths and weaknesses of different offensive and defensive looks and what they are meant to do, A former coach or coordinator explains it on there

Im still on Xbox 360, The price for a an Xbox 1 is to high for my blood....350......No thanks.....Knock off 50 bucks and then we can talk is how I see it. Im actually thinking of getting a WII U and going back to where it all bagn for me with Mario Bros, Rather do that for 300$ then buy X1 for only 1 game that I buy now (Madden)

I got my boys a WII U for Christmas and it is awesome.  Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros baby!!!   The controller with the touch screen TV in the middle is seriously amazing.  Split screen games like Marvel Super Heroes are really cool because 1 player looks at the regular TV while the other player can just use the screen on the controller.  Split screen is a thing of the past on WII U.  I really wish XBox had a controller like it.

Actually there is a mode in the game that can teach you the strengths and weaknesses of different offensive and defensive looks and what they are meant to do, A former coach or coordinator explains it on there

I have to guess how many kids just go and play...that is the fun part.  Really learning the game takes time and effort :)  Playing for real never hurts.  :)

HA HA!

Lets play the game without real players and no injuries will ever occur.  Good for the health of the players.

But.....let us not get soooo carried away with Madden games.  That is why some of the younger audience does not know football.   :)

i love ya Brent, but you couldnt be more wrong on this one.  Madden can actually teach you TONS about football.  I truly believe I know more players, systems, and how different schemes work from Madden...

Can we afford those guys Kyle?  I do not think so with Luck getting a new payday soon...and TY on the horizon with Fleener and Allen.

Murray only cost about a mil more than Richardson's contract per year....  Cut him and instantly Murray is affordable.   Take him out of the equation and is it really that hard to believe we sign Suh and a big name Olineman??   We have like 35 mil to spend this off season.  I signed those 3 and made a few other cap moves and was left about 10 mil under cap for 2015-16.  That will carry over to next year and then we can let go of guys like Walden, RJF, and Landry and resign Luck, TY, Fleener, and Allen.  

i love ya Brent, but you couldnt be more wrong on this one.  Madden can actually teach you TONS about football.  I truly believe I know more players, systems, and how different schemes work from Madden...

I do not mind being wrong.  I just think there are a lot of fat kids sitting at home playing Madden.  I think it is great they can be in a mode to learn the game too, I just think 'most kids' jump into it just with their favorite players and play games that are 55-55 with 2 minutes left.  The 'action is the attraction as I like to say.'

I love it that you in particular have used it as part of learning the game.  That is a great thing!!  :)

I have to guess how many kids just go and play...that is the fun part.  Really learning the game takes time and effort :)  Playing for real never hurts.   :)

nobody said it is either or.   my 6 year old LOVES watching me play madden and asking me to do replays and explain what happened and why it worked or didnt... he started playing flag football this year too...              I could honest to god tell that he had a leg up on most of the kids because he had learned a lot from Madden (and watching Colts games with me).  There were a lot of kids that didnt even know which way to run with the ball.  My boy was doing stiff arms and spins while running to the end zone   <----no joke, he made me VERY VERY proud this year :)

nobody said it is either or.   my 6 year old LOVES watching me play madden and asking me to do replays and explain what happened and why it worked or didnt... he started playing flag football this year too...              I could honest to god to that he had a leg up on most of the kids because he had learned a lot from Madden (and watching Colts games with me).  There were a lot of kids that didnt even know which way to run with the ball.  My boy was doing stiff arms and spins while running to the end zone   <----no joke, he made me VERY VERY proud this year :)

Better watch those spins lil fella :)

Love this....great post.  I stand down to Madden :)  Ok...not just yet....too hard-headed. :)

Murray only cost about a mil more than Richardson's contract per year.... Cut him and instantly Murray is affordable. Take him out of the equation and is it really that hard to believe we sign Suh and a big name Olineman?? We have like 35 mil to spend this off season. I signed those 3 and made a few other cap moves and was left about 10 mil under cap for 2015-16. That will carry over to next year and then we can let go of guys like Walden, RJF, and Landry and resign Luck, TY, Fleener, and Allen.

Madden is fake. The guys you signed will cost a lot more in real life than on Madden.

Im still on Xbox 360, The price for  an Xbox 1 is to high for my blood....350......No thanks.....Knock off 50 bucks and then we can talk is how I see it. Im actually thinking of getting a WII U and going back to where it all began for me with Mario Bros, Rather do that for 300$ then buy X1 for only 1 game that I buy now (Madden)

Yea I'm also still on 360 and my tv has green stripes sometimes when it first comes on. So I doubt I'll be upgrading my game system anytime soon. haha

You can do whatever you want if you turn off the salary cap...

I used to love Madden's franchise mode. It doesn't have a lot of real life implications, but it was a fun way to play the game. They've changed it a lot in recent years, and I don't like it as much.

Most kids spend way too much time on x=box and the PS games. We have raised a whole generation of kids that are obese and have no cardiac exercise. Future heart attacks and problems from over weight are all real problems these kids are facing.  Add that to the media like I-Phones and non stop texting and the problem gets worse. Please limit your kids use of these mental entertainments. I make this comment not out of hating on gaming but we will all pay dearly in the bigger picture if limits are not set. Gaming is fine as long as Play 60 or something of that nature is involved.

Most kids spend way too much time on x=box and the PS games. We have raised a whole generation of kids that are obese and have no cardiac exercise. Future heart attacks and problems from over weight are all real problems these kids are facing. Add that to the media like I-Phones and non stop texting and the problem gets worse. Please limit your kids use of these mental entertainments. I make this comment not out of hating on gaming but we will all pay dearly in the bigger picture if limits are not set. Gaming is fine as long as Play 60 or something of that nature is involved.

Man, you must be the life of the party.

I still play my NES and SNES. I've always wanted to get one of those retro-consoles that can play NES, SNES, Sega, etc., but they are just too unreliable and their quality control is trash. Too many hardware and software issues. Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Crono Trigger...you just can't beat those old school games man. 

Yea I'm also still on 360 and my tv has green stripes sometimes when it first comes on. So I doubt I'll be upgrading my game system anytime soon. haha

My great grandma had a tv just like that.....Don't know exactly how old that sucker was but she passed away in 2005(at 98) and Im 32 now.....she had it ever since I was in diapers at the very least

I still play my NES and SNES. I've always wanted to get one of those retro-consoles that can play NES, SNES, Sega, etc., but they are just too unreliable and their quality control is trash. Too many hardware and software issues. Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Crono Trigger...you just can't beat those old school games man. 

I wish I was able to keep all my old systems :(, I'd love to get them all again if I could find them....Not my old ones necessarily...I think that ships done sunk....But the actual SNES, NES, SEGA

I wish I was able to keep all my old systems :(, I'd love to get them all again if I could find them....Not my old ones necessarily...I think that ships done sunk....But the actual SNES, NES, SEGA

You can find them on ebay for a reasonable price.  And since they all use cartriges and connector pins, you can actually buy and replace the connector pin piece with a screw driver and a little bit of patience.  I bought one for my old NES and it was like 7 bucks.  Popped the old one out and the new one in and it worked just like new.  They have SNES pin connector replacements if you are savvy with a soldering iron.

You can find them on ebay for a reasonable price.  And since they all use cartriges and connector pins, you can actually buy and replace the connector pin piece with a screw driver and a little bit of patience.  I bought one for my old NES and it was like 7 bucks.  Popped the old one out and the new one in and it worked just like new.  They have SNES pin connector replacements if you are savvy with a soldering iron.

http://www.nintendosforsale.com/Double-Dragon-Nintendo-NES-p/384.htm

Found something that might be better then taking a chance on ebay

this is speculation. you do not know what I paid for them. ;)

I know that it is impossible to sign 3 great players with 25 million dollars. Suh is going to want 20 million by himself. Murray probably wants an AP contract but could settle with 6-8 million from the Cowboys, and Solder could get top 10 LT money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXrI1ZQDFxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2QWAazZyyA

This may not be the place for it lol, but if you really are interested here are two different ones. One is even handheld.. The review is really goofy(almost annoying) at times, but it goes pretty in depth and these actually look pretty fun. Nothing like retro games :)

That has nothing to do with reality. These are serious problems but it seems you don't care. It's a sarcastic comment or a joke to you. I work with kids and see it daily.

Ok, what does that have to do with you coming into a obvious tongue-in-cheek thread where everybody is obviously joking and trying to bring everyone down?

http://www.nintendosforsale.com/Double-Dragon-Nintendo-NES-p/384.htm

Found something that might be better then taking a chance on ebay

I've never seen that site, but the 2 year warranty is a nice assurance.  I'd buy one of the retro consoles (i.e. retron3) with that warranty so I can play all 3 classic consoles - Sega, NES, and SNES.  I've always hesitated to buy one of those 3-in-1 (and actually they've come out with a retron 5 which actually makes your SNES games HD compatible), but as I've said they have a lot of software/hardware issues and their quality assurance/warranty is crap.  But if a second hand store wants to take a 2 year warranty, I'd reconsider my stance on that and may fork up the money to get one. 

It's crazy what people come up with these days.  There are many fan made games that basically take the technology and graphics from the existing nintendo games and they re-create their own version of that game and then put it on a recycled nintendo or super nintendo catridge so you can play it with your original console.  For instance, there are 2-3 fan created Zeldas for the Super Nintendo each with their own unique levels and puzzles to solve. 

Ok, what does that have to do with you coming into a obvious tongue-in-cheek thread where everybody is obviously joking and trying to bring everyone down?

No one was trying to bring anyone down. All I did was state facts. I am sorry you have a problem with that. I guess you had a hard time comprehending my original comment. You seem to be the only one making a big deal of my comment. I think that most understood where I was coming from. All you want to do is make an argument out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXrI1ZQDFxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2QWAazZyyA

This may not be the place for it lol, but if you really are interested here are two different ones. One is even handheld.. The review is really goofy(almost annoying) at times, but it goes pretty in depth and these actually look pretty fun. Nothing like retro games :)

Yeah I had done all sorts of research on these things.  Not necessarily the handheld ones.  I'm not a purist by any means.  I don't mind people taking liberties with things like the Retron 5 does by making nes/snes games HD compatible or using roms, but one of the things that I gotta have is the original controller in my hands when I play - don't know why, just my preference I guess.  That's why I liked the idea of a copy cat console that combined many of the classic consoles in one while letting you plug your original controllers into the ports.  Unfortunately, these consoles - and perhaps the handheld ones, but I haven't researched - no matter the one you choose, have an alarming number of common complaints such as poor or lagging sound quality, hardware and/or software problems, improperly save or delete saved games, etc.  Couple that with those manufacturers having a poor return policy and warranty and you may just fork over $80-$100 bucks for a couple of uses. 

I seriously considered the Retron 5 but figured it would be a good idea to follow some forum on it around the release date and see what people were saying it.  It only discouraged my further.  Hyperkin has since come out with numerous patches to fix some of the software issues, but there still remain plenty of outstanding hardware complaints, such as some ports that simply didn't work or stopped working for games or controllers.  That wouldn't be such a big deal if you could just take it back and get a new one.  But the return policy is such that you have to pay for shipping for a defected product, you're not guaranteed to get a working one in return, and when you receive a new one in exchange for your defective one, the warranty gets cut in half (not to mention the copyright infringement suit against Hyperkin for using emulator codes, which if successful may put them out of business making any future warranties worthless).  You basically just have to buy one and hope you're one of the lucky ones that didn't get a defective unit.  I wish Nintendo would just come out and make a quality product that does the same thing.  It could be online compatible and everything else.

I've also played a lot of Madden and I think it's an unrealistic sim in every sense. This is how dumb Madden drafting is:

Scout every player's PHYSICAL grade. Don't worry about their MENTAL grades. Mental attributes can be leveled quickly, whereas physical attributes (spd, agi, str, etc.) take a ridiculously long time. This speaks to the old age adage, "You can't teach speed." For this same reason, you always want a mobile QB. This means former Oakland QB, Terrelle Pryor, in last season's Madden was, arguably, was the best player in the game in the long-term, once you groomed his mental attributes. Once you have your team of physical specimens, you roll your way to the Superbowl.

The big issue with Madden is it doesn't simulate player suspensions, players complaining, and many other off-field issues that can derail franchises. For that, you want Football Manager 2015 (no, not that kind of football, lol). That game is the pinnacle sports game simulator.

Yeah I had done all sorts of research on these things.  Not necessarily the handheld ones.  I'm not a purist by any means.  I don't mind people taking liberties with things like the Retron 5 does by making nes/snes games HD compatible or using roms, but one of the things that I gotta have is the original controller in my hands when I play - don't know why, just my preference I guess.  That's why I liked the idea of a copy cat console that combined many of the classic consoles in one while letting you plug your original controllers into the ports.  Unfortunately, these consoles - and perhaps the handheld ones, but I haven't researched - no matter the one you choose, have an alarming number of common complaints such as poor or lagging sound quality, hardware and/or software problems, improperly save or delete saved games, etc.  Couple that with those manufacturers having a poor return policy and warranty and you may just fork over $80-$100 bucks for a couple of uses. 

I seriously considered the Retron 5 but figured it would be a good idea to follow some forum on it around the release date and see what people were saying it.  It only discouraged my further.  Hyperkin has since come out with numerous patches to fix some of the software issues, but there still remain plenty of outstanding hardware complaints, such as some ports that simply didn't work or stopped working for games or controllers.  That wouldn't be such a big deal if you could just take it back and get a new one.  But the return policy is such that you have to pay for shipping for a defected product, you're not guaranteed to get a working one in return, and when you receive a new one in exchange for your defective one, the warranty gets cut in half (not to mention the copyright infringement suit against Hyperkin for using emulator codes, which if successful may put them out of business making any future warranties worthless).  You basically just have to buy one and hope you're one of the lucky ones that didn't get a defective unit.  I wish Nintendo would just come out and make a quality product that does the same thing.  It could be online compatible and everything else.

See, I haven't done too much research on the them. Just saw those videos and had to share.

It is a bit pricy, and I hadn't heard about the bad returns and whatnot. If there was one to be made with some assurance to it that would be nice lol. It really stinks that there are hardware issues(and software, since they stole the emulation codes). Also, If not not mistaken, there actually is a controller port on the Retron 5. 

A Nintendo made system for the cartridges would be great. Oh boy I'd spend waaaaaay too many hours on that. 

Honestly though emulation may be the way to go. Or just use the original systems like you said before

Honestly though emulation may be the way to go. Or just use the original systems like you said before

I've seen people basically cut out the guts of a scrapped nintendo console and replace it with a computer and play roms on the nintendo console that way.  You don't put in the nintendo cartridge, but you still get the nostalgia feeling as if you were playing the regular nintendo 30 years ago. 

Another cheaper alternative, if you still have your old console, is to get one of those flash drive consoles (i.e. the SNES EverDrive), and just download any nintendo/super nintendo rom to an SD card and stick the card into the Everdrive and you can play whatever game its compatible with. 

I do not mind being wrong.  I just think there are a lot of fat kids sitting at home playing Madden.  I think it is great they can be in a mode to learn the game too, I just think 'most kids' jump into it just with their favorite players and play games that are 55-55 with 2 minutes left.  The 'action is the attraction as I like to say.'

I love it that you in particular have used it as part of learning the game.  That is a great thing!!   :)

Thing is though, Offense is easy in Madden. Being able to defend is the hard part. Once you get that down, the score is generally 55-0 and they're going for it on every 4th down, oh look another pick six