Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

deflated footballs and some other observations

theanarchist

To those of you who call the Pats cheaters without knowing the story, I suggest you read up before you speak. Most people who accuse the Patriots of cheating are completely ill-informed bandwagon jumpers who are looking for anything to rationalize thier success. They get mad at the team for winning so immediately refer to "Spygate" without knowing anything about the situation.  I suggest anyone who thinks the Patriots CHEATED go to this article a few years back from bleacher report. Then come back and explain to us all how it was cheating.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/199345-the-truth-about-spygate-punishing-success-and-promoting-parity#articles/199345-the-truth-about-spygate-punishing-success-and-promoting-parity

For the 1-thousandth time....the Patriots broke a rule, they did not cheat. There is a difference.  In baseball, managers get fined for wearing non-uniform tops in the dugout.  They are breaking a rule.  Is that giving them an unfair advantage (ie cheating)? No. 

And as others on this board have stated, the refs handle every ball on every play.  If there were balls that were severely deflated, the refs would have noticed.  And stop saying it was multiple footballs.  Every story has stated it was one.  Don't embelish.

Rookie

The colts deserved to loose the game they were over matched in every phase of the game something the colts must learn from. But rules are rules stop trying to break them and or bend them, I do not know if the footballs were tampered with, But the question was raised because of a INT it therefore was relayed to the offiicials and then sent to the league office. As for the spygate the Patriots were found on multiaple occasion to be filming other teams during practice. This is not a mistake it is flat out cheating admitted by a few people who were doing the filming did it help with the out come of games no one really knows. But if New England has a great coach as everyone claims why is it during the playoffs he is always under investigation for some rule violation and please and for the love of god stop putting your team in this situation all this does is tarnish their record and super bowl wins. My Question if it were to be true not saying it is, How is the league going to handle this I know the Patriots would loose future draft picks and maybe be fined, Would it be about time to start suspending coaches and or other personnel involved in any rules violation. Players are suspended for breaking rules, Owners are suspended for breaking rules. Start holding the coaches responsible   

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Patriots were deflating balls, it did not help them.  They ran up the score in the 2nd half, after the pressure of the balls came into question.

Those same under-inflated balls would have been in play for the entire second half too.  The on field officials weren't notified of the allegation until halftime, and the first ball put into play by the Patriots at the start of the third quarter was removed from play by the officiating crew.  

With as many eyes on the balls, during a game, there would have been no time to change the pressure in those balls without raising suspicion.  

The pressure would have been adjusted from the time the balls were supposed to be checked by the officials and the time they were first brought into play when the game started.  

Come on man.  Seriously.  Do you really believe the Pats deliberately tried to deflate balls so they could win?  Please stop being a sore loser.  You guys only could put up 7 points on us.  You guys let Blount run for over 150 yards and 3 touchdowns.  We've beaten you six straight times including the post-season.

Are we really trying to go there right now? 

this is not about the game and or the blow out, Read the thread it is about The Patriots under investigation over rules violation again.

Come on man.  Seriously.  Do you really believe the Pats deliberately tried to deflate balls so they could win?  Please stop being a sore loser.  You guys only could put up 7 points on us.  You guys let Blount run for over 150 yards and 3 touchdowns.  We've beaten you six straight times including the post-season.

Are we really trying to go there right now? 

Chill man. You don't play for the Patriots and we don't play for the Colts. We're only fans.

Chill man. You don't play for the Patriots and we don't play for the Colts. We're only fans.

amen- I just watch them. I am not responsible for them nor do I take responsibility for them.

People get too personal over this stuff.

Rookie

The colts deserved to loose the game they were over matched in every phase of the game something the colts must learn from. But rules are rules stop trying to break them and or bend them, I do not know if the footballs were tampered with, But the question was raised because of a INT it therefore was relayed to the offiicials and then sent to the league office. As for the spygate the Patriots were found on multiaple occasion to be filming other teams during practice. This is not a mistake it is flat out cheating admitted by a few people who were doing the filming did it help with the out come of games no one really knows. But if New England has a great coach as everyone claims why is it during the playoffs he is always under investigation for some rule violation and please and for the love of god stop putting your team in this situation all this does is tarnish their record and super bowl wins. My Question if it were to be true not saying it is, How is the league going to handle this I know the Patriots would loose future draft picks and maybe be fined, Would it be about time to start suspending coaches and or other personnel involved in any rules violation. Players are suspended for breaking rules, Owners are suspended for breaking rules. Start holding the coaches responsible   

Rookie?  The Patriots were never found to be filming practices.  Get your facts straight and read the story.  The guy who came out and said he had videotaped a Rams practice later came out and said he did not.  It's just one of the many falsehoods that people who don't know the story keep spouting.

"Start holding the coaches responsible"?  Sean Payton and the Rams would ask you where you've been.  Ever heard of Bounty-Gate?

Rookie?  The Patriots were never found to be filming practices.  Get your facts straight and read the story.  The guy who came out and said he had videotaped a Rams practice later came out and said he did not.  It's just one of the many falsehoods that people who don't know the story keep spouting.

"Start holding the coaches responsible"?  Sean Payton and the Rams would ask you where you've been.  Ever heard of Bounty-Gate?

I thought they never identified the "unknown source" who said he or she taped the Rams walk thru before the Superbowl?  Former Patriots employee, Matt Walsh, never said he was responsible for filming the Ram walk thru.  That story was obtained by the newspaper from an undisclosed source.    

I heard Marshall Faulk talk about the incident though.  Apparently the Rams put in plays that they never ran during the season.  He said the Patriots were perfectly prepared for those plays and even checked down to a certain defense to stop those plays.  He suggested it was either the best coaching ever or they knew what was coming.  

Edited by 21isSuperman

Sorry if I offended you if it was untrue did the pats loose some draft picks and was the coached fined and put on probation for a year for the untrue spygate investigation. Not sure but did the Patriots get caught video taping signals in 2007 and the former assistant to the pats have security confiscate the camera. If anyone else knows please help me out on this. Since BB became head coach for the pats if i believe in 2000 up until the end of 2007 their was numerous claims filed against them for video taping signals and or pratice. As for the saints they broke the rules got caught and paid for it. But it always seems the Pats are in the middle of some sort of rules violation during the play offs. Sorry it is a conspiracy from all the teams against the Pats. Also if you wish look up the NY Post the NFL cover up that started it all

OK. I've taken a couple days before posting about deflate gate as I wanted to learn more. First, it's amazing how it's taking the NFL days to investigate something that should be wrapped up within 24 hours really. This isn't the OJ trial.

Second, that first tweet from that Indy reporter was *way* jumping the gun. The NFL is investigating balls that may or may not be deflated. There is no proof which points to Patriots (or Colts for that matter) deflating balls. That first tweet made it seem the NFL caught the Patriots red-handed, with pump in hand no less, deflating footballs.

I've heard several reports, where the refs removed the "suspect" ball, to the Colts took it to their sideline and then did some sort of experiment or checking on the ball and determined it was under inflated, then notified the officials. If that's the case, at least for that ball, the chain of command has been broken and you can throw that ball out the window.

I've heard the ball was removed from the game, I've heard they ball stayed the entire time... so much nonsense. I really wish the NFL would come out and say what is going on here. Why ruin a week's worth of good SB press coverage with stupidity.

Now, having said all that, and with the recent history the Patriots have had with the Colts, there is nothing on earth that could make me believe the Patriots would even entertain something like this. Absent a confession, this is really crazy. Leading up to the game I tried to keep civil around here and not post anything which would be considered smack talk, but I never had any doubt at all the Patriots would win and most likely win big. Just looking at the trend, that was the only conclusion I could make. And I'm sure the last thing that would ever cross the Patriots mind would be to deflate balls.

Now, if the NFL tested each ball after the game and found that an abnormal amount of balls were under weight, under proper PSI, then we have an issue and I would like to get to the bottom of that. But if we are talking about one ball Indy caught on an INT and then went off with that ball to the Indy sideline... come on. Even people who hate the Patriots for a myriad of things, even that doesn't pass the smell test.

Because the NFL seems to be inept at dealing with what appears to me to be cut and dry issues, we are all guessing and many are pointing fingers at New England. That initial tweet was so bogus, and then the SI article.. that's in a whole other level of stupidity. Author was on Boston sports station today and was demolished. Couldn't stand behind anything he actually wrote, and couldn't answer simple questions about what he wrote, even when showed what he wrote was totally absurd.

I'll be following the story close, as I would be sickened if the Patriots actually did something like this. But if it goes the way I think it will, this will be the biggest waste of time leading up to a Super Bowl.

Via mortreport:

NFL has found that 11 of the Patriots footballs used in Sunday’s AFC title game were under-inflated by 2 lbs each, per league sources.

That's a lot. This is getting really crazy. I wouldn't put it past that shady franchise, but why? Is it really worth it? I doubt it.

Putrid franchise and organization.

Disgusting.

Even if they win this Super Bowl, they've STILL never won a Super Bowl without cheating.

wish I could give you more likes my man!!!! Agree 100%. dynasty?? Yeah right haven't done crap without cheating hahalmao and their fans are actually proud?? Wow!

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, January 21, 2015 - Banned Poster
Hidden by SteelCityColt, January 21, 2015 - Banned Poster

unless his numbers are on his chin, you would be mistaken.

208taud.gif

Not sure where you got that pic. I just fast forwarded to this play. As I said, face mask right in the numbers.

post-27005-0-66755000-1421838312_thumb.j

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, January 21, 2015 - B
Hidden by SteelCityColt, January 21, 2015 - B

This was an instant before the other picture I posted, you can clearly see the bottom of his face mask is below the level of the numbers on the back of Bradys jersey.

post-27005-0-07820400-1421838577_thumb.j

hahalmao and their fans are actually proud?? Wow!

Actually, I breezed through a few of the Pats message boards and their fans seem genuinely embarrassed, hurt, and upset about this. This sentiment has been reflected already by a few of the fans who post here. I feel it's the wrong thing to do for us to lay this jazz on the fans. 

It's sad that this organization doesn't respect the integrity of the game. I don't even know how they could genuinely feel proud of their accomplishments knowing that they have always bent or broken the rules.

More importantly, I feel for their fans. They have to feel like little kids feel when they realize Santa Claus isn't real. They need to be penalized monumentally for this. Goodell has had a rough year

Would love for the Hawks to blow them out as well as shut them out. The Pats are like the cheating wrestling of 80's when everyone was juicing and said it was only natural weightlifting. For all of BIll B. football game genius write-ups, Forest Gump has a higher IQ then him when it comes to common sense.

Lots of NFL players chiming in on this.  Many think an under inflated ball is definitely an advantage in the wet conditions as it allows a QB, RB or WR to grip and handle the ball better than a properly or over inflated ball.

All of this inevitably will leave a large asterisk next to the wins, championships, and dynasty in the book of public perception.   

To those of you who call the Pats cheaters without knowing the story, I suggest you read up before you speak. Most people who accuse the Patriots of cheating are completely ill-informed bandwagon jumpers who are looking for anything to rationalize thier success. They get mad at the team for winning so immediately refer to "Spygate" without knowing anything about the situation. I suggest anyone who thinks the Patriots CHEATED go to this article a few years back from bleacher report. Then come back and explain to us all how it was cheating.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/199345-the-truth-about-spygate-punishing-success-and-promoting-parity#articles/199345-the-truth-about-spygate-punishing-success-and-promoting-parity

For the 1-thousandth time....the Patriots broke a rule, they did not cheat. There is a difference. In baseball, managers get fined for wearing non-uniform tops in the dugout. They are breaking a rule. Is that giving them an unfair advantage (ie cheating)? No.

And as others on this board have stated, the refs handle every ball on every play. If there were balls that were severely deflated, the refs would have noticed. And stop saying it was multiple footballs. Every story has stated it was one. Don't embelish.

This is straight from the Webster dictionary:

cheating - a deception for profit to yourself

Synonyms: cheat

Adj. 1. cheating - not faithful to a spouse or lover; "adulterous husbands and wives"; "a two-timing boyfriend"

Synonyms: two-timing, adulterous

2. cheating - violating accepted standards or rules; "a dirty fighter"; "used foul means to gain power"; "a nasty unsporting serve"; "fined for unsportsmanlike behavior"

Synonyms: unsporting, unsportsmanlike, foul, dirty

As you can clearly see, breaking rules is cheating. Especially when you benefit from things like deflating balls and recording teams plays. To compare those to wearing the wrong color uniform is an argument that a child would use. The adults here clearly see the truth.

What people are saying is that it would not have changed the outcome. I agree with that. But, for arguments sake, what if the game was a 3 point victory for the pats? How would that change the narrative then? What if the pats done the same thing against the Ravens and didn't get caught? Nobody is saying that though. Instead they want to put the blame on the Colts for "being sore losers."

Whatever happened to sportsmanship, honesty, and simply playing fair? It amuses me how quickly pats fans dismiss something like this when there are documented cases of the pats cheating in the past.

You can hoist all the Lombardis that you want. What you can't do is hoist them without the world knowing you may have cheated to get it. At least you won't admit it anyway and will go on believing that your team "just broke a rule" and it's no big deal. Would you teach your children to break rules to get ahead in life? Yea, I didn't think so.

Furthermore, this is a Bleacher Report article. That's says volumes itself. But to suggest the NFL wants parity is just plain dumb. The Bills have not made the playoff in 15 years. The Raiders and Browns in 12. If they wanted parity they would not have a team with the longest active playoff drought in the same division as the team who has made the Super Bowl six times in the same period. Nice try though.