Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 29th pick in the 2015 NFL draft the Indianapolis Colts select...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign a G/T in FA, and I would also go after McPhee and McClain hard....

Draft a OLB first, WR second, RB third...      Devin Smith and Tevon Coleman would be LOVELY....

4  DB

5  DB

6  DB

7  DB    and I think indy has an extra pick or two in sixth or seventh...    DB AND DB..

If we still have multiple players that are high on our draft board still available when we pick at 29, I hope that we trade our 1st round pick for more picks in the draft seeing as Grigson is good at finding talent later in the draft. Maybe a 2nd and 7th rounder

Trade down to the 2nd for a 7th? That would be terrible ... I am not against moving down, but not for that for basically free. 

Yeah, screw the Super Bowl.

It is an interesting time of year though. Despite not wanting the Colts to get heavily involved in Free Agency this year, it is much more exciting than during the Polian-era.

Side note: Imagine Grigson had hit on all his draft picks (fourth round and above) this past two years, including Richardson. Would we be going to Arizona?

Can never know for sure, but I would say yes we probably would. Hit only 3 of 8, wasted both #1's

If we take an RB, I would be okay with Jay Ajay in the third.

I kinda have feeling that Perryman is not a 1st rounder, even if he might be the best ILB this year along with McKinney. It's not a very impressive crop of ILB's this year.

I actually don't think this is a very strong draft in most positions this year outside of maybe 2-3 players at almost every position, Lots of roleplayer talent I think after that, Biggest exception I think would be WR where I think you could potentially come away with a starter deep in the draft

No way would I take a RB in the first round, but If I had to, it'd be Gurley. I think he's he best RB in the NFL the first day he starts. Dude makes it seem like he's playing on rookie mode. 

Georgia running backs usually do pretty well in the NFL for the most part too.   I think Gurley is the next one to add to that.

Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State - no more relying on Wayne or 1 year projects like Avery, DHB, Nicks etc.

WR is not a position the Colts should spend a 1st round pick on. Defense wins championships, and we've got great pass catchers. Every year Colts fans want us to take a WR in the 1st. We need a NT, ILB, DE, and Safety a lot more than we need a guy who would compete with Moncrief, Hilton, Allen, and Fleener for targets. Plus if we get a run game we won't have to worry about our receivers having to be open every play.

With that being said, my pick (if we don't trade back) is Erick Kendricks, ILB UCLA. The Colts finally start to fill the defense with young playmakers who will create an identity for the D. Kendricks can also drop into coverage.

WR is not a position the Colts should spend a 1st round pick on. Defense wins championships, and we've got great pass catchers. Every year Colts fans want us to take a WR in the 1st. We need a NT, ILB, DE, and Safety a lot more than we need a guy who would compete with Moncrief, Hilton, Allen, and Fleener for targets. Plus if we get a run game we won't have to worry about our receivers having to be open every play.

With that being said, my pick (if we don't trade back) is Erick Kendricks, ILB UCLA. The Colts finally start to fill the defense with young playmakers who will create an identity for the D. Kendricks can also drop into coverage.

you don't draft for position, That's a sure fire way to wind up with some bum, you should draft BPA

you don't draft for position, That's a sure fire way to wind up with some bum, you should draft BPA

Not at a position you're stacked at. BPA has it's limits. It's BPA, in regards to need. No way after getting embarrassed by the Patriots the way we did, does Grigson take a WR that high. He'll take the BPA on defense, or maybe an offensive lineman. It's the same reason we won't be taking Melvin Gordon in the 1st.

Not at a position you're stacked at. BPA has it's limits. It's BPA, in regards to need. No way after getting embarrassed by the Patriots the way we did, does Grigson take a WR that high. He'll take the BPA on defense, or maybe an offensive lineman. It's the same reason we won't be taking Melvin Gordon in the 1st.

We are not stacked at WR, not if we cut ties with Nicks and Wayne, which is very likely. A big reason why the score in the Patriots game was lopsided was because of our 7 points scored, and that is ignored by most folks.

When you can put pressure on an opponent's offense by putting enough points, you can gradually be more efficient on D. While I do agree with you that it is most likely BPA on offense or an OL guy, I would not be shocked if it is a WR that drops.

We are not stacked at WR, not if we cut ties with Nicks and Wayne, which is very likely. A big reason why the score in the Patriots game was lopsided was because of our 7 points scored, and that is ignored by most folks.

When you can put pressure on an opponent's offense by putting enough points, you can gradually be more efficient on D. While I do agree with you that it is most likely BPA on offense or an OL guy, I would not be shocked if it is a WR that drops.

A guy like Jaelen Strong doesn't make your football team better day 1 though. A lot people fail to realize that the "Explosive Offense" that has like 3 top notch receivers, and a stellar TE hardly exists. With most teams you have 2 good WR's, and 1 good TE. Falcons had Julio, Roddy, and Gonzalez. Bears have Jeffrey, Marshall, and Bennett.

That's just how most NFL teams are structured. Rarely if ever do you see a team with 3 elite WRs. It just doesn't happen. The idea that you can just have a stacked receiving core and just put up ridiculous amounts of points isn't sound. You put up points by moving the chains with a RB and your receivers and TE's making catches when you need them to. 3 top WR's is overkill and all it leads to is too many mouths to feed.

You get a guy like Strong and he's going to struggle to get targets considering we have Moncrief and Hilton. Plus all you end up with is 3 elite receivers you can't afford to pay when their contract is up, so you're back to square 1.

I don't see why not. With TY bracketed we didn't have a single WR who could create separation underneath. 

That wasn't why we lost. Inserting a top WR doesn't give us any more chance to win that game. We lost because of a lack of talent on our roster, specifically on defense. You can't just pin it on TY being bracketed.

That wasn't why we lost. Inserting a top WR doesn't give us any more chance to win that game. We lost because of a lack of talent on our roster, specifically on defense. You can't just pin it on TY being bracketed.

We lost for a multitude of reasons. Even if we had held the Patriots to half as many points, we still would have lost. Yes, the defense gave up 45. But the offense only scored 7. 

We lost for a multitude of reasons. Even if we had held the Patriots to half as many points, we still would have lost. Yes, the defense gave up 45. But the offense only scored 7. 

And an extra WR isn't going to help us. Had we had a better offensive game plan and a RB to move the chains, it would've given the receivers more chances to move the ball.

And an extra WR isn't going to help us. Had we had a better offensive game plan and a RB to move the chains, it would've given the receivers more chances to move the ball.

Luck had time to throw on a bunch of plays, nobody was getting open. 

Luck had time to throw on a bunch of plays, nobody was getting open. 

That was the second best secondary in the league. It's too be expected. The Chiefs were able to beat both the Seahawks and Patriots without any type of aerial attack. How? They ran the ball effectively. The solution to no one being able to get open against the Pats isn't to draft another guy and hope that it frees someone else up; it's to work around the secondary which isn't something our staff did.

You have to give credit to the fact that the Pats secondary was just that good. It's just like if you play a team you can't run the ball against, you have to work around it. You don't say "Well X only had 1.5 yards against the D, so we should draft Y". It's not that simple.

That was the second best secondary in the league. It's too be expected. The Chiefs were able to beat both the Seahawks and Patriots without any type of aerial attack. How? They ran the ball effectively. The solution to no one being able to get open against the Pats isn't to draft another guy and hope that it frees someone else up; it's to work around the secondary which isn't something our staff did.

You have to give credit to the fact that the Pats secondary was just that good. It's just like if you play a team you can't run the ball against, you have to work around it. You don't say "Well X only had 1.5 yards against the D, so we should draft Y". It's not that simple.

I appreciate your passion, but you don't have to explain to me how football works.

Unfortunately it's also not as simple as your making it seem. You can try to out-scheme other teams, but most of the time it's going to come down to talent. the fact is that drafting a WR #1 isn't saying "we don't care about running" it's saying that you're going to every means necessary to maximize your strengths.

There isn't really anything we can do personnel wise to become some great running team in 2015 to suddenly make us some great running team. The oline we had at the beginning of the season are all locked in starters. Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, and Cherilus is the starting oline for the 2015 season. No matter how bad we don't want that to be true, it's probably the reality.

But, if the right guy falls, we have a chance to supply this offense with the underneath threat that it's been lacking since Reggie tore his ACL midway through last season. We can sustain drives better, move the ball more effectively, and take this offense to another level than from where it was in the 2014 season.

The unfortunate part is that I don't think that type of guy is going to be available at 29. I want Kevin White, but I know he'll be gone by then. 

I appreciate your passion, but you don't have to explain to me how football works.

Unfortunately it's also not as simple as your making it seem. You can try to out-scheme other teams, but most of the time it's going to come down to talent. the fact is that drafting a WR #1 isn't saying "we don't care about running" it's saying that you're going to every means necessary to maximize your strengths.

There isn't really anything we can do personnel wise to become some great running team in 2015 to suddenly make us some great running team. The oline we had at the beginning of the season are all locked in starters. Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, and Cherilus is the starting oline for the 2015 season. No matter how bad we don't want that to be true, it's probably the reality.

But, if the right guy falls, we have a chance to supply this offense with the underneath threat that it's been lacking since Reggie tore his ACL midway through last season. We can sustain drives better, move the ball more effectively, and take this offense to another level than from where it was in the 2014 season.

The unfortunate part is that I don't think that type of guy is going to be available at 29. I want Kevin White, but I know he'll be gone by then. 

Loved watching Kevin White

I appreciate yours as well. And I can see where you're coming from on a lot of your points.

But out-scheming is what you're supposed to do. Trying to Overload the other team with personnel isn't wise. Saying that "We'll have so many #1 WRs that someone will always be open" is a nice thought, but it doesn't ever happen. Matt Millen had the same idea, and it didn't work for the Lions (granted most of the WR's he drafted were busts). It's just not how things go in the NFL.

The whole reason you try and get really good safeties and CBs, is so that you can shut down a team's passing attack. And that's what the Patriots did. It's going to happen eventually. Instead of trying to go through the obstacle you have to go around it. You have to know when you're out matched and just try a different approach. The Colts could get Amari Cooper and Kevin White, and run 4 WR sets and you would still possibly get the same result against the Pats.

Since Jeremy Hill couldn't run against the Colts, do you feel the Bengals should draft Melvin Gordon? That's the thing, no matter how good you are at one position group, you'll eventually meet a team that can take away that aspect of the game for you. You have to be versatile and be able to come up with other ways to score.

The main thing I've seen against New England is you can't be one dimensional.  You have to be able to run the football and pass the football.  Almost any team I've seen beat those guys was able to do both.   Actually(going against what I just stated) this year teams like the Jets who were able to at least run the football and play good defense gave those guys fits.  I just haven't seen many teams that passed the football all day long beat them. It just plays right into their strengths.

This defense needs to be upgraded very badly. I say every draft pick should be a defensive player besides maybe drafting the best available RB in the 3rd round. ILB CB Safety DT OLB, there is no position of strength on the defense.

Grigson has done a good job building this Colts team, but Bjoern and Trich were huge mistakes. Time to draft someone who will really have an impact on the team in the first round, and that won't be Melvin Gordon, who by the way seems like Trich 2.0 more than anyone to me.

This defense needs to be upgraded very badly. I say every draft pick should be a defensive player besides maybe drafting the best available RB in the 3rd round. ILB CB Safety DT OLB, there is no position of strength on the defense.

Grigson has done a good job building this Colts team, but Bjoern and Trich were huge mistakes. Time to draft someone who will really have an impact on the team in the first round, and that won't be Melvin Gordon, who by the way seems like Trich 2.0 more than anyone to me.

Thank you lol. I'm tired of all this "Take Jaelen Strong in the 1st round, he's BPA". When you have a defense that lacks play makers like we do, that is thrown out the window.

Grigs would be crazy to pass over a Carl Davis, Nate Orchard, Jordan Phillips, or even Michael Bennett for another receiver. I'd be okay with O line too if the right guy fell, but this needs to be a defensive based draft.