Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Coaching Staff [Mega-merge]

sfergson727

It's great that you're proud.

It's great that Irsay is classy.

Personally, I'm extremely disappointed he wasn't gone halfway through the season. I'd rather Irsay bring the hammer down and get to work fixing his team NOW rather than after the season ends.

this team can't be "fixed" until we know exactly what the future is with Peyton Manning. Until we have that information, no other issues matter.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it matters if they fire Caldwell now, because I don't believe the Colts next head coach is going to be a guy who has already been a head coach (not counting interim). I just don't buy this idea that big name coaches from yesteryear mean something great. Regardless of rather it's Luck or Manning helming this team next year, I think the organization is going to have to be forward thinking, not going with retreads. They'll either find a good assistant or coordinator or hire a qualified college coach. It makes zero sense to hire someone like Gruden or Fisher, as both spent their careers in mostly mediocrity and were both rather predictable (aside from a few notable plays) on the field. The only way to improve, in my opinion, is to find the next thing coming, not the one that died most recently.

He's not losing them games, that is for sure...

You are correct, but "HE" is not the reason they are winning. Playing an easy schedule and having a in your face defense is why they are where they are. Look at this past game, they didn't win that game, the Bears gave it to them.

If the Broncos were so sold on Teabow then why are both John's still not comitted to him for next season?

It's 1 season. There is ZERO pattern of bad choices, it's one season. It's called over reacting fans. This idea that you can go from smart to dumb in 1 season is laughable...

This idea that you can go from one of the best teams in the league to dead last in three seasons, and not hold someone accountable is laughable...

Zero pattern of bad choices??? Look at drafts since '06.. look at the teams win-loss record since Caldwell took over the team...

there are patterns present...

He only signed Collins after Manning's most recent surgery was scheduled to happen. He only said he would've drafted Dalton if he knew Manning would be out the whole year. Getting Yates wouldn't have replaced Manning, so that point is moot.

Bill Polian is not a fool. Some of the things he says on his show are just ramblings and to avoid the questions the fans ask and to generally hide whatever the Colts are actually doing. Once in awhile, like the day before he fired Coyer, he'll let things slip that actually imply what the Colts are going to do. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter what he says, it matters what he does. He is not a bad GM. He was unprepared for this year, clearly, and had admitted as much NUMEROUS times. What else do you guys want? Do you want him to wave a magical wand and fix everything?

There is definitely merit to arguing about key mistakes he has made throughout the years. However, it's all in hindsight. When we gave Clark, Freeney, and Sanders HUGE contracts, it was because they were playing at an outstanding level at the time. In hindsight, Sanders and Clark both were injured for much of their most recent contracts (Sanders obviously not on the team anymore), and Freeney's is arguable. Some would say it's justified, some would say he's just a situational pass-rusher. Those big contracts are what kept us from getting better depth than what we've been able to maintain. Couple that with our extraordinary amount of injuries, and you get this result. You get very bad special teams, you get very bad play in the secondary and offensive and defensive lines, you get poor depth, you get absolutely pathetic backup QBs, etc. Would he like to go back and change some decisions he's made? I'm 100% sure of it. But that doesn't make him a bad GM.

If Polian wants to hide what the Colts are doing then why doesn't he just shut the :censored: up? He is so arrogant that if he could go back in time he would probably do things exactly the way he has already done things.

I do not follow the NFL long enough (just 5 or so years) to be able to name proper coaches but the next one (next season!) definitely has to have the following characterics:

a ) defensive-minded

b ) enthusiastic

We finally need someone who can clean up the defensive mess that Polian called "working" the other day. And we definitely need someone who does not turn into a pillar of salt as soon as the whistle blows. From what I've heard, read and seen from Fisher so far I think that he would be a good fit - especially if Manning comes back!

Cheers from Germany!

This idea that you can go from one of the best teams in the league to dead last in three seasons, and not hold someone accountable is laughable...

Zero pattern of bad choices??? Look at drafts since '06.. look at the teams win-loss record since Caldwell took over the team...

there are patterns present...

Since 06 the Colts I believe have 2 SB appearances, 5 division titles and something like 55+ wins over 6 years. They made the playoffs in every one but the present season. How many other teams in the NFL can match that? Maybe 1?

I actually agree about McAfee, but I think it's true of almost every punter in the league. Directional punting is sadly a dying art, and I'd love Pat to get to the point that he becomes a great directional punter. If he were to get to that point, I could honestly say he's the best in the league. That's not to say he's bad in any manner, but directional punting is under-appreciated.

Off the top of my head, you have Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Jim and John Harbaugh, Rex Ryan, Mike Tomlin and Gary Kubiak as non-former NFL head coaches who are doing great things right now. Even Belichick was a failed head coach who is making history. Big names former coaches are not necessarily the best way to go, and I don't think it will be the way the team does go.

NOTE: This was an edit, but it won't let me edit my old post. Can a mod tell me why that is?

It's 1 season. There is ZERO pattern of bad choices, it's one season. It's called over reacting fans. This idea that you can go from smart to dumb in 1 season is laughable...

You don't go 0-16 in one season. 0-16 is a fundamental breakdown on multiple levels throughout years. It's years of bad drafting, current coaching and injuries. This season is a culmination.

Do you see patterns in the draft???

How many 1st round draft picks are starters???

What has our record been since last SB appearance?? A steady/SHARP decline, also a plottable PATTERN...

How many 1st round picks in the NFL turn into busts? I am guessing a decent number. What has been the average drafting position of the Colts for the past 10 seasons? I am guessing 25th or later? How many of those picks by NFL teams have panned out?

Our record since the SB appearance is 10 wins 19 losses and during those 29 games how many were with our No. 1 offense all on teh field at the same time?

You don't go 0-16 in one season. 0-16 is a fundamental breakdown on multiple levels throughout years. It's years of bad drafting, current coaching and injuries. This season is a culmination.

Not in our case. Do you believe this team would be 0-13 right now if Peyton was playing and near 100% in health? I doubt it, I would say we would be maybe 9-4 or 8-5 at worse. With the final 3 games we have I think the Colts with Peyton would finish with 11-12 wins...do you disagree?

Off the top of my head, you have Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Jim and John Harbaugh, Rex Ryan, Mike Tomlin and Gary Kubiak as non-former NFL head coaches who are doing great things right now. Even Belichick was a failed head coach who is making history. Big names former coaches are not necessarily the best way to go, and I don't think it will be the way the team does go.

NOTE: This was an edit, but it won't let me edit my old post. Can a mod tell me why that is?

Sean Peyton - Is he a good coach or is he just lucky to have probably the 2nd best QB in the NFL right now. Where are the Saints without Drew Brees?

Rex Ryan - Not a bad coach, but great?

Kubiak - was just about fired last year, now all of a sudden he is good because his team is winning this year? What about previous years when the Texans fell apart at the end of each year?

Jim Harbaugh - really we are ready to crown him good after 13 games?

McCarthy - where is he without Aaron Rogers?

The guy has coached some quality 4-3 defenses. I believe we have a lot of the right personnel, we just need a coach to put them in a scheme that isn't doomed to fail. He has been around a while, and he has an unrealized dream of being a head coach. I don't want to bring in Fisher, or Cowher, or Gruden. Let's bring in a guy who has had a lot of success as a Defensive Coordinator, and make him the new head coach.

Del Rio can be our DC. He's had some pretty good D's down in J-ville. I'd like Christenson gone too, mostly because I don't think Peyton likes him much, and he's proven to be pretty ineffective without Peyton. If Norv Turner gets fired I wouldn't object to bringing him in as OC. Say what you want about San Diego's deficiencies, but offensive production is not their biggest problem. I wouldn't want him as a head coach, but as OC I would love him.

I honestly don't care who we have as GM as long as it's not Bill Polian. I don't think he's bad at finding talent, I just don't like his hard-headedness and his inability to let coaches coach, and players play.

A combo of Mike Zimmer-head coach, Norv Turner-OC, Jack Del Rio-DC, and anyone not named Polian as GM, means quality team next year.

My goodness - we are saying the samething. I am just doing it more efficiently. If they are firing him for cause now I completely get it. If they are firing him because Miami and the Chiefs did the same yesterday, then that is pretty crappy way to run a team.

Agreed. :)

Not in our case. Do you believe this team would be 0-13 right now if Peyton was playing and near 100% in health? I doubt it, I would say we would be maybe 9-4 or 8-5 at worse. With the final 3 games we have I think the Colts with Peyton would finish with 11-12 wins...do you disagree?

Would we be 0-13? Doubtful, but we will NEVER know. I do know we are 0-13 now.

Sure, we could be 12-4 if we had Peyton. We could be 16-0 if we had Calvin Johnson. We could be 8-8 if we had Matt Cassel....the fact of the matter is we dont, and we need to move past it.

By the way, heres your pattern: 3 years prior: 37-11 Last 3 years: 24-21 and counting.

What % of fan money do you think is the colts budget? A good owner will not just look at 1 season. He will look at the overall franchise over say maybe a 4-6 year period and see what trends happened, injuries and such. Owners that make snap decisions based off of 1 season, no bad how bad it is usually are those owners with poor overall records as a franchise.

Caldwell is here for 3 seasons and we have 2 winning seasons because of Peyton Manning. This is his 3rd year.

Tell me one classic coach move Caldwell did in the last 3 yrs ( there are a zilion bad ones ).

Now if you suggest, Irsay has to wait and give caldwell more time - more power to you.

Sean Peyton - Is he a good coach or is he just lucky to have probably the 2nd best QB in the NFL right now. Where are the Saints without Drew Brees? Sean Payton is a brilliant mind who has made Brees what he is today. Brees is no doubt a stud, but a Peyton/Payton combo would have crumbled this league.

Rex Ryan - Not a bad coach, but great? Not great, hes been in the league what 2 years? 2 AFC championship games? Crappy QB? Check. Check. Check

Kubiak - was just about fired last year, now all of a sudden he is good because his team is winning this year? What about previous years when the Texans fell apart at the end of each year? Lots of things factor into the Texans. You cant go around proclaiming how great WE were, then bash the Texans for never being good enough. We are once in a lifetime remember?

Jim Harbaugh - really we are ready to crown him good after 13 games? No, and we shouldn't. Look at Caldwell. But Harbaugh has taken a talented, but underacheving team pretty far, esp. considering all the East coast games. And he's done all this with what looked like a has been QB, a brittle RB and no off-season. Barring 16-0 he's probably your NFL HC of the Yr.

McCarthy - where is he without Aaron Rogers? Coaching Matt Flynn. Whos pretty good. To go with the Pretty good WR core, and the pretty good def, I'd imagine he'd turn out all right.Although, in the case of, Ifs and buts were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas.

When Polian does ''The Polian Show'' I wonder if he goes back & listen to what he's said. We are on our way to 0-16 but he think the team is playing well. Jim Caldwell has been a puppet ever since he was hired and Polian wants to win 1 game to save his job? Are you :cuss:serious. He should of been out the door at 0-8.

Sean Peyton - Is he a good coach or is he just lucky to have probably the 2nd best QB in the NFL right now. Where are the Saints without Drew Brees?

Rex Ryan - Not a bad coach, but great?

Kubiak - was just about fired last year, now all of a sudden he is good because his team is winning this year? What about previous years when the Texans fell apart at the end of each year?

Jim Harbaugh - really we are ready to crown him good after 13 games?

McCarthy - where is he without Aaron Rogers?

Gee, I wonder why teams even pay a head coach if the successes and failures of a team are not tied to the head coach at all?

Caldwell is here for 3 seasons and we have 2 winning seasons because of Peyton Manning. This is his 3rd year.

Tell me one classic coach move Caldwell did in the last 3 yrs ( there are a zilion bad ones ).

Now if you suggest, Irsay has to wait and give caldwell more time - more power to you.

Exactly what is a "classic" coach move?

I judge the players/coaches by their wins/losses. Overall right now Caldwell has a record of 26 wins and 22 losses I believe. That puts him at over .500. I then look at what the team went through injuries wise and factor that into it. From those numbers I would rate Caldwell as an average coach. Not great, not bad. But it doesn't matter what I think, the only opinion that matters is Jim Irsay and Bill Polian and I will respect whatever decision they make.

Exactly what is a "classic" coach move? I judge the players/coaches by their wins/losses. Overall right now Caldwell has a record of 26 wins and 22 losses I believe. That puts him at over .500. I then look at what the team went through injuries wise and factor that into it. From those numbers I would rate Caldwell as an average coach. Not great, not bad. But it doesn't matter what I think, the only opinion that matters is Jim Irsay and Bill Polian and I will respect whatever decision they make.

Worst case scenario, if you are not capable of making a brilliant move, just dont make bad ones ( like timeout with Jets, My first NFL game in a stadium and right behind Colts bench, cant forget that night ). Unfortunately, we have quite a few bad ones. Now thats how you measure a coach.

If John Fox would have refused to alter his offense and have Tebow run the same offense he ran with Orton then he would look as dumb as Caldwell does by asking Painter & Orlovsky to run Peyton Manning's offense.

Fox did what a good coach would do. Alter the offense to the talents of the players that he has, and to the strengths of the team that he has. Caldwell has failed to do that, Christensen has failed to do that and both should be fired at the end of the season.

I wouldn't want Christensen fired. The Colts offense is built for Peyton. Peyton will probably be back next year it is should be running great again. Why would you want to change what worked in the past. The Colts offense is consistently one of the best, one bad year shouldn't make us forget all the great ones. Failure to adjust might just show how willing our coaching staff is to wait for Peyton. Keep everyone else on schedule until the man arrives.

Most of these comments ignore (or try to) the likelihood that 18 has taken his last snap as a Colt, if not his last EVER. I've been a Colts fan for more than 40 years, and you have NO IDEA how much I hope I'm wrong, but the fact is that the next HC needs to think first and foremost about the future, and that means Andrew Luck. As for a defensive coach, I'm 100% on board, but if you remember, Dungy was considered a defensive mastermind when he took the Colts' reins, and look what he left us. Thank you for the Championship, Tony, but please keep the rest of your legacy. Long story short, I truly agree with the comment that a thorough search should be conducted, but Fisher would, in my opinion, be a terrific fit in any scenario (albeit more likely if the Polians are out).

The Colts can return the entire staff and it won't matter one bit if Peyton is back and playing at 100%. Winning is all that matters and we have seen that with Peyton behind center this team wins, and that is all that matters.

Yes with peyton this team wins but all that is an if, this is not from one season this is from the years fans have seen how unprepared the colts have been and leaning on manning. They know the problems the colts have now and peyton alone will not fix them, so what if the colts go 11-5 chances are with this same they the will be 1 and done in the playoffs if they dont make any changes.

So it comes down to if Manning is healthy, caldwell stays, I hope not. It's just not this season showing Caldwell cannot coach- He should have been fired after not adjusting when the Saints aired it out against our soft cover 2 (would like to see a 3-4 switch) and most likely should have been fired after a few brain lapsess in the Jets playoff; going conservative as usaul before the end of the 2nd half, having Adam trying to boom one over 50 plus yards, and of course for those who forgot; that dreaded time out to give the JETS a chance to regroup and kick the winning FG.

I wouldn't want Christensen fired. The Colts offense is built for Peyton. Peyton will probably be back next year it is should be running great again. Why would you want to change what worked in the past. The Colts offense is consistently one of the best, one bad year shouldn't make us forget all the great ones. Failure to adjust might just show how willing our coaching staff is to wait for Peyton. Keep everyone else on schedule until the man arrives.

Because we are 1 play away from this season happening again. Overhaul the whole offense.. Put in something simple like a WCO.. Peyton would master it, and substandard QB's can be more efficient in it. Clyde isn't the reason our offense has been good over the years, and his offenses in Tampa were a key reason Dungy was fired there.

Peyton makes our offense efficient, otherwise it is very inefficient.