Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Coaching Staff [Mega-merge]

sfergson727

What has happened in the last 10 months to our beloved Colts? I never dreamed in a million years that this organization would fall to shambles so quickly. I'm not so sure if Peyton does play next year that we make the playoffs with the delusional front office we currently have in place. How can Manning not possibly be thinking of asking fo a trade with his career winding down knowing his chances of being competitive against other teams its going to be a real challenge?

I'm not even sure of what to say regarding Polians comments on Pat. I'm starting to wonder if Polian doesn't have some kinda mental health issue going on. I'm not being funny either. Look at some of his decisions and comments the last few years. Quite a few head scratchers that are un-Polian like in years past. Lets hope and pray that the off season and draft day put some smiles back on our faces. Because right now I have some serious doubts unfortunately.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After yesterday's firing of Kansas City's and Miami's coaches, I found myself very proud of Jim Irsay for NOT firing Caldwell before the end of the season. At this point, nothing would be gained. I believe that any coach that is availalbe has a much better idea than any of us if Caldwell is a stayer or a goner (parden the made up words) and that the idea of coaching Manning/Luck is far more desirable than going to Kansas City or even Miami. But, why in the world do we want an owner who would discredit his team (yes, coaches and front office are part of the team) when an off season move is so much less shameful to those involved. I have been appalled at how John Elway has maligned his quarterback in the press -- made me proud that our owners/front office keep their criticism private and not aired out. In the same way, I am now proud that Irsay is NOT making any major moves at this time. Oh by the way, our HOOSIERS are finally ranked. Can't wait till next year when our COLTS make their resurrection once again.

I believe Irsay has already told Polian he'll be canned if we don't win. But what does one or two late wins mean? Absolutely nothing!! Firing him now is the only option.

After yesterday's firing of Kansas City's and Miami's coaches, I found myself very proud of Jim Irsay for NOT firing Caldwell before the end of the season. At this point, nothing would be gained. I believe that any coach that is availalbe has a much better idea than any of us if Caldwell is a stayer or a goner (parden the made up words) and that the idea of coaching Manning/Luck is far more desirable than going to Kansas City or even Miami. But, why in the world do we want an owner who would discredit his team (yes, coaches and front office are part of the team) when an off season move is so much less shameful to those involved. I have been appalled at how John Elway has maligned his quarterback in the press -- made me proud that our owners/front office keep their criticism private and not aired out. In the same way, I am now proud that Irsay is NOT making any major moves at this time. Oh by the way, our HOOSIERS are finally ranked. Can't wait till next year when our COLTS make their resurrection once again.

I think Elway has been reasonable with Tebow.......

He really is just a hair above Orlovsky...

They have a great defebnsed and an all-star kicker..but in most games//Denvers scores the same amount of points we score.

I agree on coaching changes.....It doesnt accomplish anything to fire anybody during the year....unless you still think you can make the playoffs (and we can all agree that ship has long since sailed)

...There's plenty of time on 'Black Monday '

We have wasted way too much time trying to figure out if cadwell is our coach. Hes not. I dont get why irsay is waiting on this, the guys play with little emotion and urgancy. Todd, Tony, and Jeff are all out there why not get a defensive minded hc to work with the D next year and when peyton comes back he will be the offense. It's time to fire cadwell

Were very limited on coaches that would want to come here because of Polian. Good coaches want to have control of the team and not to be some power hungry GMs puppet. And for you to state that our front office doesn't call out players is ludicrous. Have you not read Polians latest comment about Pat? Have you forgotten when he threw the entire offensive line under the bus? Being classy doesn't win you championships! Better to get a jump on other teams for possible head coaches than to pick from the bottom of the barrel.

So this team is an utter disaster from the front office to the coaching staff and down to the players. Yet, Polian picks Pat to say he needs improvement? Pat has been the best this on this team this year. Unbelievable.

I figured if we go 0-16 that would force Polian to have to fire his puppet. You just cannot bring a coach back no matter what after a 0-16 season.

Of course if we draft Luck and play him we are going to struggle. That is because you did not really build a team. You just built a car that only Peyton can start. If you actually focused on building a real defense and running game to support Manning then it would be a lot easier to transfer the team over to a rookie. Now we just have to hope Luck is as great as he is said to be or it will be a long two to three years while he develops.

That is nuts. Call out the one guy who is actually excelling at his duties.

That is unreal, I was shocked when I heard him call out Pat, what a joke. Best punter/kickoff in the league, Colts best tackler,only good special teams player on what has been the worst unit in football going on 12 years now. Then to boot he praises Lefeged on his one and I mean good kickoff return of the year. I have not bashed BP like some have, but one really has to start to wonder about some of the things he is doing. Maybe a change is needed if he is that blind.

Hey what are you guys thinking?

Don't you realize that he is God's Gift to Football and that anyone who questions his transcendent brilliance just wants the team to be 3-13 for every year this decade? There is no one living now or in the foreseeable future of the planet who could ever do his job as well as him.

I will burn a candle at my Bill Polian shrine and pray that you mend your apostate ways.

PAT? PAT? For the love of god PAT? He's the only one on special teams who can make a FRICKIN' TACKLE!

We have holes on every side of the ball and you point the finger at our PUNTER? Who is one of the best if not THE best in the game today? This is even more moronic than when he blamed our playoff loss to the Chargers on the O-line when it was the D and special teams going belly up all game long as usual.

On top of stabbing one of our few GOOD players in the back, he states that Caldwell's job should magically not be in jeopardy if we win ONE GAME? REALLY? What in blazes is THAT?

Caldwell should have been gone mid season! Actually, he should never have been a head coach. Period. Who in their right mind would EVER pick him up? Maybe a Polian led team if he gets the boot as well and takes his yes man with him.

I can appreciate an owner who steps back and lets people who "know more about the game" run the show. However, that doesn't mean you should be hands off and watch an assembled squad go 1-15 or 0-16 and say "Oh, well, they know what they're doing."

Good lord Irsay please come out of your crazy factory filled with Oompa Loompas and FIRE. POLIAN. This has gone beyond stupid to flat out sad. If Irsay doesn't come out and can Polian he's just as much of a problem as he is. He needs to step up, take ownership of this mess of a team and kick captain ego to the curb. Else get ready for a minimum of 1 decade of an inept squad once Manning isn't here to pull our rears out of the fire week in and week out.

If the great plan is to get Luck and hope he is anywhere NEAR Manning with the schemes and "talent" this team uses we are beyond screwed. Game over, man. Game over!

It doesnt make any sense to fire jim caldwell now, bringing in a coach now to a team thats in shambles during the season makes no sense what so ever... a coach cant implement anything during the season.. who cares about his feelings, what im saying is firing caldwell now will not change or alter anything.. i mean who are you gonna hire? right now there arent any really good coaches out there, you HAVE to wait till after the superbowl which is when coaches get evaluated and then you can go after coaches.. that is the way things should be done.

You don't have to bring in anyone new. You can promote someone on the staff to interim head coach for three games. It happens all the time. You don't have to expect them to necessarily do any better, but you'll at least prove to your players that you take their effort seriously. It's a formality.

Meantime, you can start interviewing. Most candidates won't interview while there's a lame duck in place, out of respect for the position. But if you make the job available, you can start taking meetings now.

Anyways, Polian pretty much stated yesterday that Caldwell isn't going anywhere unless we don't win a game. Not exactly, but that's the impression I got. And that's depressing.

To all the Caldwell apologists: Can you give me the name of a coach who has gotten less out of the talent he has available this season?

Exactly how is it the coaches job to catch passes, block people and such? My issue with Caldwell is going to long with Painter, but outside of that, this team's inability to win lays at the feet of the players, not the coachs.

If Polian and Caldwell are still there next season, i will lose faith in Colts ownership.

Irrespective of players situation, they both need to go.

Its highly disrespectful for the fan who follow this team if they arent let go.

Its high time, Irsay listens to fans voice and make sensible decisions.

The day Irsay listens to the fans is the day he needs to go. The fans know nothing, they have no way to be able to form a legit view given they have zero access to all the information. Fans job is to watch and cheer or boo, that is it.

We have ONE guy less than last year and you cant re-adjust your team and win one game?.

Lets just say its really bad talent in Caldwell's defense, Polian should go then.

Again not true, we are missing more then just Peyton. Please go back and review the Colts IR list and those players who have missed games due to injuries, I am sure you will see more then just 1 player.

Again not true, we are missing more then just Peyton. Please go back and review the Colts IR list and those players who have missed games due to injuries, I am sure you will see more then just 1 player.

You will also see players that are playing this year that weren't playing last year. Is there a point? If 18 is on the field for these 13 games we easily have 9-10 wins at this point if not more, and that is with having the worst head coach in the NFL and the worst coaching staff in the NFL.

I think a lot of the things said about Peyton's work with the offense are ... hyperbolic, to state it kindly. I believe he's more involved in what we do offensively than any other quarterback in the NFL, maybe ever, but I don't believe he installs the gameplan, nor do I believe that he simply takes suggestions from the coaches.

And by the way, if it's been Peyton coming up with the gameplan all these years, then why are we blaming the coaches for the fact that we lack balance? Isn't that Peyton's fault?

You mention the gameplans this year. The problem I've had with them is that they're the same gameplans we've been using for the past three years with Peyton... except we don't have Peyton right now. We should have gone more conservative, more high percentage, etc., but we kept asking Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter to make the timing throws that Peyton can make in his sleep, except they can't make them period. So no, the gameplans we've seen this year aren't proof that he's been doing the gameplanning. They're proof that he's been making the gameplans work with his greatness.

Another thing: I watched the Belichick documentary on NFL Network a few months ago, and one of the things that caught my eye was a meeting with Belichick and Brady. Belichick isn't the offensive coordinator, but this was a one-on-one meeting with him and Brady, talking about the gameplan. Brady had ideas and suggestions about what kind of plays they should run, he had a notepad and was making suggestions. I'm sure Brees and Payton do the same thing, Roethlisberger and Arians, etc. If Rodgers isn't doing this yet, I don't doubt that he will be soon. It only makes sense for a coordinator to take his quarterback's ideas into consideration, since the quarterback is the one making the offense work. I don't think any of them have the level of influence Peyton has, but they all have influence.

I don't care if Peyton and Clyde don't get along. I think Peyton needs to be challenged and overruled every once in a while. He's great, but sometimes his idealistic greatness has to be tempered by the reality that he has limitations, and his teammates have limitations. People made a big deal because against the Patriots, he and Clyde seemed to disagree about something, but we wound up running the ball for a first down, so it's just evidence that sometimes his ideas aren't the only valid ideas in the room. You have an interchange of ideas and you come up with the best plan. You don't just give the room to the quarterback, just because he's awesome.

None of this is to be taken as a defense of Clyde Christensen, or any of our other coaches. Something has gone terribly wrong, and as you mentioned, the proof is in the pudding. We're a terrible offense. The quarterback play is a big part of that, but we should be able to make adjustments to be more productive than we've been. In the Tampa Bay game, there was a stretch where Painter was something like 3/14, he got sacked a couple times, the offense stalled, and we failed to move the chains. That's a playcalling issue. When your quarterback is struggling just making simple completions, you call some plays to get him in a rhythm. High percentage throws, maybe a halfback screen. You run the ball more on early downs. You take some pressure off of him. Terrible coaching. It's a big part of the reason we've yet to win a game.

All I'm taking issue with is the ever-growing and ever-popular idea that Peyton Manning is basically the offensive coordinator, and as long as we get out of his way and defer to his every wish, we'll be okay. I don't agree with that. Good coaching doesn't require that you cower to your best players. It calls on you to challenge them when necessary, help them keep improving, keep getting better, and so on. The right person to do that might not be Clyde Christensen, and that's fine. But the answer certainly isn't to just turn it all over to Peyton Manning, as great as he is.

the announcements by the Dolphins and Chiefs that both teams will be going in a new direction with a new head man, Indianapolis may be forced to act and do so quickly.

Jacksonville fired coach Jack Del Rio last month,

If the Colts are sincere about keeping Jim Caldwell, today's firings are a mute point. But if the Colts were planning a more wait-and-see approach, they might not have the luxury of time. Preeminent head coaches don't last long in the NFL as evidenced by the Dolphins and Chiefs decisions to make moves now to ensure they have the first crack at landing one of the three highly coveted candidates on the market in Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher and Jeff Fisher.

Of course there are a lot of good coaches out there, but these three guys are the biggest fish and Kansas City and the Dolphins are both hoping to make big splashes.

For Miami the front runner seems to be former Titans coach Jeff Fisher which is particularly bad news for the Colts.

Currently Fisher makes the most sense as Gruden has indicated he wants to stay on with ESPN as a broadcaster for Monday Night Football and Bill Cowher wants a better quarterback than Matt Moore and more institutional control than GM Jeff Ireland is likely willing to hand over.

Even were the Colts to stick with Caldwell , the Colts will at least be in the market for a defensive coordinator.

One such candidate would be Kirk Ferentz, a guy who has built strong defenses at Iowa and given the Colts track record with the Hawkeyes, knows Indianapolis well.

He too though is being courted by the Chiefs, another indication that the ripple effects may already be occurring.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/12/13/2632379/will-coaching-change...

There is zero chance that Bill Polian would even consider anyone that the Jags, Chiefs or Dolphins would consider. Should Bill decide that a new HC is needed he will do that in the offseason and take his time in reviewing people he wants. There is no need to rush this. We need to see how Peyton is because that can have a huge impact on who the new coach might be. So IF Caldwell isn't back, I don't see the Colts doing anything till after the SB and before the Draft.

It is so funny to see how people react to what Bill says. People come on it's just NFL speak...relax.

dn, it's just NFL speak. And then it translates to the firing of Coyer...and then it translates to an even more vanilla defense (I didn't think it could get more vanilla, but Polian has found the way.) and then it leads to Caldwell's job being safe at 0-13 but hey, he's safe because we're not 0-16...yet.

Sad. Just sad that Irsay is willing to accept this type of performance. Put down the ipad Irsay and act like an owner.

I think this continuing ripping on Jim Irsay is unfair. Since taking over he has done nothing but his best to put the best product on the field via whom he has running the show. Now because of 1 bad season he is a fool? People just need to stop, Mr. Irsay not only knows what he is doing, we should thank him every day for what we have here.

McAfee can definitely get better as a directional punter and kicker, and that would help our return coverage. But I don't know why that's the topic of conversation, as if it has anything to do with the fact that we haven't won a single game so far.

Clearly because McAfee is the reason we lose.

Exactly how is it the coaches job to catch passes, block people and such? My issue with Caldwell is going to long with Painter, but outside of that, this team's inability to win lays at the feet of the players, not the coachs.

Exactly what is the coach's job then? Isn't the coach's job to come up with a strategy to win football games based on the talent he has? My contention was that based on the talent he has, Caldwell has gotten less out of his players than any coach in the NFL. I'm not saying he should be judged as if he had the level of talent that Green Bay, New Orleans, or Pittsburgh has. I'm looking at the level of talent that the Colts have and saying that, if Caldwell was competent at his job, the Colts wouldn't be sitting at 0-13. I'm not expecting a playoff run without Manning. But I also wasn't expecting to go completely winless this season. He hasn't adapted, adjusted, or tweaked his strategy in any way. That is his job, isn't it?

If you are maintaining that his job is simply to stand on the sideline without any emotion and clap after a three and out or giving up a touchdown, then I would agree that he is exceptional at his job.

Exactly what is the coach's job then? Isn't the coach's job to come up with a strategy to win football games based on the talent he has? My contention was that based on the talent he has, Caldwell has gotten less out of his players than any coach in the NFL. I'm not saying he should be judged as if he had the level of talent that Green Bay, New Orleans, or Pittsburgh has. I'm looking at the level of talent that the Colts have and saying that, if Caldwell was competent at his job, the Colts wouldn't be sitting at 0-13. I'm not expecting a playoff run without Manning. But I also wasn't expecting to go completely winless this season. He hasn't adapted, adjusted, or tweaked his strategy in any way. That is his job, isn't it?

If you are maintaining that his job is simply to stand on the sideline without any emotion and clap after a three and out or giving up a touchdown, then I would agree that he is exceptional at his job.

We don't know what the coaches have done. You are making claims with no sound information. The coaches could have tried to make changes and saw it didn't work, the players may not be able to do it. Exactly what kind of changes do you think they need to make?

dn, it's just NFL speak. And then it translates to the firing of Coyer...and then it translates to an even more vanilla defense (I didn't think it could get more vanilla, but Polian has found the way.) and then it leads to Caldwell's job being safe at 0-13 but hey, he's safe because we're not 0-16...yet.

There is no way BP is going to say to the press what the true status of the HC is, never happen. As for the defense, exactly what do you want our defense to do that they are not doing?

Doubt if we could be any worse either but seriously doubt if at this point we would really be any better. Therefore, let's just stay the course and eagerly await the changes that will happen after the season ends. A reason for us fans to get off the FIre Caldwell, Fire Polian bandwagon (even though I do believe they must go, either both or one or the other) is that it makes it harder for Irsay to do the right thing while his people are being pounced on. Irsay is not so stupid that he needs us to tell him just how bad things have gotten-- I think he know that quite well. But I know when my kids were little and were behaving poorly, if others came along to tell me of their bad behavior, my natural reaction was to negate the extent of punishment I was ready to dispense and stick up for them in the area of public opinion. I think it's not that much different with an owner and his hand-picked employees.

I hate to say it, but dn4192 is correct. Those franchises will continue to be awful because they make so many knee-jerk decisions. The great franchises work it out in proper timing, and when it's the least disruptive to continuity.

Anyone who thinks Irsay isn't already putting the wheels is motion is delusional. He just isn't going to let everyone know about it, because it doesn't do anyone any good to do so. Same thing happened with Coyer.

I am glad none of the fans have a say. Our team wouldn't have had a winning record with Manning on the field if any of you were making decisions.

It is like by firing caldwell we could actually do worse. we are winless. the changes should start happening now. maybe it will make everyone work harder knowing they are under the hot seat. and like i said, we cant be any worse...

I dont think we arent working hard or are disorganized...

This is what we are when we dont score 28 points a game...

There is no way BP is going to say to the press what the true status of the HC is, never happen. As for the defense, exactly what do you want our defense to do that they are not doing?

Bill Polian had been hinting all year that the defense was bad. He had mentioned it many times and said that the defensive play had him "baffled." Then he fired Coyer. You could've seen that coming based on what he was saying. Yes, it was NFL speak but as I said, it translated in the firing of Coyer. Now if he's praising Caldwell, it will translate in Caldwell keeping his job, regardless of how much this team has under performed. All Polian has to say is "We are not happy being 0-13. We expect more from this team and of the coaching staff. As a result of this year's poor performance, we will evaluate the coaching staff in the off season." He can then decide to keep Caldwell or not, but to continually defend Caldwell after a season like this makes Polian look senile.

The defense is very reactionary. We let the opposing offense dictate whatever terms they want and then try to react after the fact. We do not disguise coverages, we hardly blitz, and we play in a soft zone the entire game. If you are an opposing quarterback and you have to game plan against the Colts, it would be very easy. You can practically have 5 yards every play if you wanted with the way our corners cover. You can easily take slants to the middle of the field since our LB's also drop far back into coverage. With Bethea having to help out so much in the run game, you can run play-action and take shots deep as well, which is the one thing that the cover 2 is supposed to prevent. It's an all around bad defense and there's no excuses for it, dn. It would be a smart move for you to let this one go. There's no defending it, this defense is horrible.