Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Coaching Staff [Mega-merge]

sfergson727

We don't know what the coaches have done. You are making claims with no sound information. The coaches could have tried to make changes and saw it didn't work, the players may not be able to do it. Exactly what kind of changes do you think they need to make?

Here is some sound information. This team went 10-6 last year. They are probably going to go 0-16 this year. The Colts have not shown any improvement throughout the course of the season. Why do we even pay a head coach if he has nothing to do with the win-loss record?

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way BP is going to say to the press what the true status of the HC is, never happen. As for the defense, exactly what do you want our defense to do that they are not doing?

Stop vacating the underneath zones. Stop playing eight yards off. Let your corners engage the receiver as they get into their routes, and redirect them just a little.

That's it. That's all I want the defense to do differently at this point. I'm not asking for aggressive blitzes, or bump and run coverage. Just make those two or three adjustments, and see what happens.

Hey I love Sapp, it's not that we don't like him, is just that he's not experienced as a coach and he seems happy as an analyst at NFL Network

That's really all Sapp knows, the Tampa 2. Even then, we don't even have close to the personnel that the 02 Bucs had. Sapp is smart and knows the Colts pretty well, but he's no coach and how will he devise gameplans against high flying offenses. He may help out the DT play but he won't help our secondary, which is our biggest weakness right now. I like the creativity, but it won't work, plus is he even on the market? The same with Bob Sanders...

...Sanders may retire and if he does, I would love to see him on the coaching staff, except not as a D-coordinator, maybe as a defensive consultant or an assistent DBs coach and eventually the DBs coach. Now the question is: will he retire?

I don't know if you could say he's no coach. From the limited stuff I've seen him say, he seems like he really understands the game. I'm not sure how his gameplanning would be, so I can't comment on that. But for some reason, I get the feeling he would be a decent or solid DC...though I'm not sure he would want to leave his position at NFL Network, like someone said

Clearly because McAfee is the reason we lose.

I don't think he was blaming the losses on punting. I haven't read the transcript, but I figure it was a question about our struggles covering punts and kickoffs. To which the answer is relevant. And it's true, Pat can get better at directional kicking.

Still, it's like Jules said to Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction: "All I wanna hear from yo *** is..." And that doesn't include anything about Pat's directional kicking.

Hey I love Sapp, it's not that we don't like him, is just that he's not experienced as a coach and he seems happy as an analyst at NFL Network

That's really all Sapp knows, the Tampa 2. Even then, we don't even have close to the personnel that the 02 Bucs had. Sapp is smart and knows the Colts pretty well, but he's no coach and how will he devise gameplans against high flying offenses. He may help out the DT play but he won't help our secondary, which is our biggest weakness right now. I like the creativity, but it won't work, plus is he even on the market? The same with Bob Sanders...

...Sanders may retire and if he does, I would love to see him on the coaching staff, except not as a D-coordinator, maybe as a defensive consultant or an assistent DBs coach and eventually the DBs coach. Now the question is: will he retire?

Tampa 2 has NOTHING to do with defensive line play. Tampa 2 is a coverage. You can play Tampa 2 as a zone-blitzing 3-4 or 4-6 defense. It's just a coverage.

He's a defensive line guru, and if you hear him talk with younger defensive linemen and show them how to lineup, how to beat blockers, etc., even on set when he talks about the difference between nose 0- or 1-tech tackles, or 3- and 5-tech tackles (they had him play the 5-tech as an end in Oakland, and he will describe why he hated it and why it was his worst year ever), you can see that he knows defensive line play. He even knows positions that he didn't play, like wide 9 end play.

I'm not advocating for him, just saying the fact that he played in a so-called Tampa 2 defense doesn't mean he's stuck in that kind of scheme as a potential line coach. The coverage has nothing to do with the front.

The day Irsay listens to the fans is the day he needs to go. The fans know nothing, they have no way to be able to form a legit view given they have zero access to all the information. Fans job is to watch and cheer or boo, that is it.

Fans job is also to pay money so the FO, coaches and players get paid. How about Irsay have a private stadium and run the show with zero fans. Lets see how he generates money.

Look i am not saying he need to listen to everything fans have to say but its common sense this year how the FO and coaching staff looks like.

Were very limited on coaches that would want to come here because of Polian. Good coaches want to have control of the team and not to be some power hungry GMs puppet. And for you to state that our front office doesn't call out players is ludicrous. Have you not read Polians latest comment about Pat? Have you forgotten when he threw the entire offensive line under the bus? Being classy doesn't win you championships! Better to get a jump on other teams for possible head coaches than to pick from the bottom of the barrel.

I appreciate class as much as anything, but I have to agree with this. The early bird gets the worm, you can show class in other ways, get rid of Caldwell now and try in order to be able to court the replacement of your choice. Don't wait until the best candidates have been taken.

That would be Great, whoever say's No; does not realize the qualities he brings to the game and overall head coaching experience. However, knowing Senile Ploian (Our D is great like 85 Bears)and Tweet Man Jim (Are we really winless? Let me check my tweets to make sure) I can see Fischer going to Dallas

I think fans have plenty to say, after all, we are the ones at games buying the tickets, merchandise and so on. Cannot generate much money, if they stay home. Yeah, I'm glad Polian is talking out of his backside about how awesome our team and coach are. I guess us realistic fans are the ones who are out of touch. Anyway, go to Madden 12 and fire Caldwell there and develop Luck to put on your team and see what one can get for Manning.

is no need to rush this. We need to see how Peyton is because that can have a huge impact on who the new coach might be. So IF Caldwell isn't back, I don't see the Colts doing anything till after the SB and before the Draft.

Why would a player who probably won't be here in 2 years factor in?

They need to get coaches as quick as possible in order to establish an identity. What is this team? Defensive? WCO? Ground and Pound? The sooner those people are picked, the sooner they can establish a 'base' and the sooner they can get ready to draft talent.

Its really going to stink when we don't have a coach until March, and we go into the draft without having any idea who to draft.

Why would a player who probably won't be here in 2 years factor in?

They need to get coaches as quick as possible in order to establish an identity. What is this team? Defensive? WCO? Ground and Pound? The sooner those people are picked, the sooner they can establish a 'base' and the sooner they can get ready to draft talent.

Its really going to stink when we don't have a coach until March, and we go into the draft without having any idea who to draft.

1. Depending on if Peyton can play will determine how we approach the draft

2. Depding on if Peyton can play will determine the coaching style needed

3. Why the rush?

I appreciate class as much as anything, but I have to agree with this. The early bird gets the worm, you can show class in other ways, get rid of Caldwell now and try in order to be able to court the replacement of your choice. Don't wait until the best candidates have been taken.

It s hard to say who the best candidates are...Its a matter of opinion...

..and certainly...just like I'm sure we've contacted Andrew Luck to ask him what he wants to do...

..we've contacted our next coach already if we're going to make a chance.

Its best now just to let the season end...

I am glad none of the fans have a say. Our team wouldn't have had a winning record with Manning on the field if any of you were making decisions.

Just a suggestion, but this little dig doesn't quite have the same bite when the people who are making the decisions are currently winless going into week 15.

It would literally be impossible to do worse than the current group of people is doing at this moment in time.

I think fans have plenty to say, after all, we are the ones at games buying the tickets, merchandise and so on. Cannot generate much money, if they stay home. Yeah, I'm glad Polian is talking out of his backside about how awesome our team and coach are. I guess us realistic fans are the ones who are out of touch. Anyway, go to Madden 12 and fire Caldwell there and develop Luck to put on your team and see what one can get for Manning.

Look at the reallllllly bad teams in the NFL, how are they doing? Fans still going, merchandise still selling. Colts have had 1 bad season, fans are not going to jump ship. So basically the fans have little impact.

Just a suggestion, but this little dig doesn't quite have the same bite when the people who are making the decisions are currently winless going into week 15.

It would literally be impossible to do worse than the current group of people is doing at this moment in time.

If there was a pattern of losing and bad decision making over say the past 4-6 years I would agree, but there isn't

1. Depending on if Peyton can play will determine how we approach the draft

2. Depding on if Peyton can play will determine the coaching style needed

3. Why the rush?

Why not build without Peyton, and if he comes back its a bonus?

As I said, the 'rush' would be for this team to establish an 'identity'. What identity, I don't care, just as long as we have a plan. At this point this team is a 100% rutterless ship. They have ZERO identity. Are we going to go to a 3-4? Stick with 4-3? Are we going to be a passing team? A running team? A blitzing team? etc etc. The longer the coaches are in place, the better our scouting for the draft will be.

An example would be this. I'd love a nice CB. but if we are going to continue playing Tampa 2, then we shouldnt bother, b/c a highly drafted CB isn't needed in a Tampa 2. But if we are going to be playing alot of man in the future, well then a CB would be pretty important. Just an example of course.

That would really hinder his "im so much better" posting persona tho.

You want them to adjust? How? You have built an offense to play one way. You can not cram a square peg into a round hole no matter how hard you try. Exactly what do you want them to do? You want change, so what kind of change? run the ball more? Our offense isn't built to run the ball that much. Change pass routes? What does it matter if your QB can't get them the ball? Play a new style of defense? Sure but if you don't have the talent to do it, what is the point. The Colts drafted specific players to play one way. Now you expect them to just change things up like that? NFL teams just can't change like that. Denver is winning because of schedule and defense, not their offense.

and that is exactly what Caldwell/Polian/Christensen are doing expecting Painter/Orvlosky/Collins to execute 18's offense.

If it were my job and I heard that, that's what I'd think

It sounded to me like a sort of ultimatum.

IE, win one or you're getting canned.

But who knows with Bill anymore. He's said somethings recently on that radio show that almost caused me to swerve into oncoming traffic they were so ridiculous.