Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So how good is our Run Defense?

ThatOneColtFan

I ask because I hear some people saying that we got lucky that the Bengals and Broncos gave up on the run cause we can't defend it. Yet it seems that we simply improved in the postseason, those two teams ran the football really well and we bent some but never broke. Am I seeing things wrong or do we actually have a solid enough run D?

I honestly think we should focus on taking the run from Brady. I don't think he beats us with his arm if we do that—I believe in our DBs. I noticed in the regular season that we forced him into some bad plays before they got the run going. Bill is gonna cook up something different but I think he'll eventually try to run it down our throats in the cold.

Edit: sorry for any typo, I'm on mobile.

Art Jones makes a heck of a difference.  I also saw Chapman get in there alot early on and make some big plays.  Our tackling has improved a bunch, so I don't see NE running the ball down our throats.  If we can limit Gronk and not let him kill us, I think we will force the Pats into a very tough situation.  Blount is a bigger back, but I believe we did a decent job on Murray, despite the Cowboys beating us down.

the run D as a whole is, IMO vastly better compared to when the overhaul happened. What I've noticed is that teams can't run the ball down the D's throat. The Pats did it but it took an extra lineman and Gronk staying in to block. Art Jones being back and healthy has made a huuuge impact.

Sure teams can get a few good runs here and there, but seem to have very little success running when they have to.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/10/colts-run-defense-is-key/

The Colts’ run defense has been middling this year, however  they have players who have made a positive impact against the run. Outside linebackers Bjoern Werner and Jonathan Newsome both rank in the Top 10 at the position as run stoppers, with Run Stop Percentages (RSP) of 7.6 and 7.4, respectively. Nose tackle Josh Chapman had a +4.2 grade against the run, and was strongest  in the second-half of the season. Similarly inside linebacker D’Qwell Jackson found his best form later in the year, with a +7.2 run defense grade in the last ten games of the season, sixth-best at the position in that period. Fellow ILB Jerrell Freeman has struggled this season, but seems to have found form at the right moment. He led all inside linebackers in the Wild Card round with seven tackles and four stops against the run, giving him an impressive 23.5 RSP for the week.

Jones is finally healthy there is a difference between being back and being healthy. I have said since the playoffs started our is is very underrated. Davis and Toler can lock up the outside that gives us a big advantage. We can beat NE if we continue to protect the ball and don't give up short fields

Wait we didn't have Jones in the NE game earlier this year? Glad he's back making an impact.

I don't remember to be 100% honest, but several posters have said Jones was out for that game. When healthy Jones is our best defensive lineman, and we will need him at full strength vs New England. 

Art Jones did not play in that game. 

To the people saying that brady still got the arm strength that may be true, what he does not have is the receivers to stretch the field like the broncos do. 

I'd also take our DBs over the Ravens' DBs, but they may have the advantage at LB. Gronk is a huge liability. Have no clue how they will handle him.

After watching the highlights for the week 11 game, their defense is definitely vulnerable and we missed a lot of tackles. Most of the mistakes in that game have been polished or can still be polished before this weekend. Luck also missed a TD to Moncrief, can't have that happen.