Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In your opinion, who was the Colts best rookie in 2014?

Just for the record, with the picks Grigson had (or lack of them), I think he did a heck of a job getting talent on our team this year. I was wondering which rookie (drafted or UDFA) do you think was the best for us this year?

For me, It's a close decision between Jack Mewhort and Johnathan Newsome. I know Jack Mewhort allowed only 1 or 2 sacks all year (I don't know if Mewhort allowed the Titans 1 sack yesterday, odds are he didn't). Mewhort has solidified the Left Guard position and made a terrible Offensive Line into a somewhat manageable one (at least the left side). Newsome, on the other hand, got more sacks then anyone on the Colts (6.5), despite having limited time in most games. He had 3 really nice games in which he started, and he also forced 3 fumbles, which is a nice ability to have. 

For 2014, I think Jack Mewhort was the best rookie for us. He is a top 10 Guard and he performed like it the whole year, which helped more then we can imagine. Even though I believe Newsome will be an elite player going forward and he would of got double digit sacks had he started all 16 games, Mewhort performed like a 1st rounder the whole year so I have to go with him. I do believe Newsome vastly outplayed his draft position though and will be the best player from this class in 3 years.

Mewhort IMO.  Newsome has been a good rotational player, but that's all he's been is a rotational player.  He doesn't start unless Walden or Werner are injured.  

Mewhort has started all but like 1 game when he was out with a minor injury.

Newsome and Moncrief are going to be very good, but Mewhort was in the  trenches all year, and all over the line at that.  See, big ole' Offensive linemen do not get any love :)  It's a Madden world :)

Newsome and Moncrief are going to be very good, but Mewhort was in the  trenches all year, and all over the line at that.  See, big ole' Offensive linemen do not get any love :)  It's a Madden world :)

I'm excited about both of their potentials but I'll take the guy who started 15 games over rotational players.  

A little disappointed personally that Moncrief didn't show up more after he started getting more reps then Nicks.  

I'd vote Mewhort. You know what they say about o linemen...if you don't hear their names in the morning report, then they did their jobs. And considering the shambles that is our Oline, I feel very good with Mewhort, would love to pick up a quality o linemen or 2 during the draft/fa though. we need depth. Quality depth as well as an upgrade or 2.

What Newsome was able to accomplish was amazing as a 5th round pick. He could be the future at rush OLB. But....it probably goes to Mewhort. Guy has been a stud at LG.

Stud? Let's not go overboard. The Dallas kid was a stud, Mewhort played pretty well for a rookie.

Jack M was a GREAT pick...      and he pretty much held up all year.    He will be a fine asset to Indy's OL in the next 10 years. 

He is the only answer to the OP's question.     Moncrief maybe had he been given a chance...   hheeheeee

I just couldn't resist..   

Next season...  Moncrief and TY are going to be DANGEROUS....      I just wish it started NOW.

Pretty solid group of rookies this year. Mewhort gets my vote. Newsome and Moncrief both show great potential. Moncrief should take a big step next season and Newsome will be interesting because Mathis will be coming back and the team will have to get creative finding ways to get him on the field.

Jack M was a GREAT pick...      and he pretty much held up all year.    He will be a fine asset to Indy's OL in the next 10 years. 

He is the only answer to the OP's question.     Moncrief maybe had he been given a chance...   hheeheeee

I just couldn't resist..   

Next season...  Moncrief and TY are going to be DANGEROUS....      I just wish it started NOW.

And.....he played with a sore right knee all year.  Steady and solid.  Great pick JD.

Mewhort---has solidified the left side of the line.

Now about the right side lol...if Cherilus is healthy next  year, just need consistency at RG and the line will be set...Holmes looks good so far and Harrison has had good experience under his belt....(his issues wasn't physical, it was more mental and picking up stunts and blitzes)