Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JJ Watt is the MVP.

Fx Stryker

The last player to win an MVP on a team not going to the playoffs was oj Simpson in 1973. He rushed for over 2000 yards in 14 games. that's dominance and overall mastery of the position. Watt will win the defensive MVP as he should. But he won't win the league MVP

Are you comparing two completely different positions in terms of production and mastery? No bueno. People were amazed at O.J. back then but if I'm not mistaken he only did it once. Watt has proven to be a monster doing things none at his position have ever done before, going back to his second year. And he isn't even in his prime yet. He might not win MVP, but he deserves it. The Ravens beating the Browns today doesn't change that.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about records, it is about impact and dominance and overall mastery of the position.

Not that he couldn't get it but it's been 5 years since a defensive player even had a vote. This could actually work in Watts favor as many of the 50 voters might think it's due time a defensive player got notice. I actually think this mentality is what cost P Manning the Heisman when Woodson won it in 97.

Not that he couldn't get it but it's been 5 years since a defensive player even had a vote. This could actually work in Watts favor as many of the 50 voters might think it's due time a defensive player got notice. I actually think this mentality is what cost P Manning the Heisman when Woodson won it in 97.

You are right and it is sad that it has to come down to law of averages

Are you comparing two completely different positions in terms of production and mastery? No bueno. People were amazed at O.J. back then but if I'm not mistaken he only did it once. Watt has proven to be a monster doing things none at his position have ever done before, going back to his second year. And he isn't even in his prime yet. He might not win MVP, but he deserves it. The Ravens beating the Browns today doesn't change that.

He deserves the best player award. Not MVP

That could be true. As far as Manning and Woodson are concerned I was too young to pay attention to football back then but you may be right. Voters might get tired of the same old same old just like we do.

I just can't help but think that if you traded Watt for Rodgers the Texans would have a much better record.  The quarterback position is just too important for a non-QB to have a good shot at the award. They should really come up with a new award.  Also, it should be noted that Rodgers has had a pretty amazing year and is absolutely deserving.  

I just can't help but think that if you traded Watt for Rodgers the Texans would have a much better record. The quarterback position is just too important for a non-QB to have a good shot at the award. They should really come up with a new award. Also, it should be noted that Rodgers has had a pretty amazing year and is absolutely deserving.

Exactly

You are right and it is sad that it has to come down to law of averages

I thought Manning was shafted in 97 as there was a lot of sentiment that defensive guys were being slighted for years and years. This year I have a feeling that there will be similar feelings. The last defensive MVP was Taylor 28 years ago. I think if you had this Rodgers and Watt voting 10 times , Watt would win in maybe 3-4 times. IMO the good part about this one is both guys are very deserving.

That could be true. As far as Manning and Woodson are concerned I was too young to pay attention to football back then but you may be right. Voters might get tired of the same old same old just like we do.

Yeah.. plus Watt seems to be a fan favorite and had tons of publicity this year. Great year for him to do it but Rodgers had a great year and does play QB. I would say that he's (A. R.) still the favorite but Watts will make it close. If Brady had finished a little stronger , it might have actually helped Watts . I think all the votes that go to Brady are votes that Rodgers doesn't get ... but I don't think it's more than 3-4. 

Yeah.. plus Watt seems to be a fan favorite and had tons of publicity this year. Great year for him to do it but Rodgers had a great year and does play QB. I would say that he's (A. R.) still the favorite but Watts will make it close. If Brady had finished a little stronger , it might have actually helped Watts . I think all the votes that go to Brady are votes that Rodgers doesn't get ... but I don't think it's more than 3-4.

Darn it Brady...and you too, Peyton...haha

Isn't that the basis of most opinions lol? They're facts to the person spouting them, but open to severe interpretation?

Not when he insists on telling me that I'm wrong and repeatedly says something (and using terrible examples) that isn't concrete as though he's right. Why quote me in the first place? He has his opinion and I have mine. We just go about stating them in different ways.

Not when he insists on telling me that I'm wrong and repeatedly says something (and using terrible examples) that isn't concrete as though he's right. Why quote me in the first place? He has his opinion and I have mine. We just go about stating them in different ways.

Because you said "that's your opinion" in a thread discussing everyone's opinions, about a made up award, based entirely around opinions.

I found it humorous.

And clearly I don't need to know you and him have different opinions. I could write a thesis about the subject lol.

I think it's clear that he's the most dominating player in the NFL, and I think they should give it to him. He deserves it, there hasn't been a defensive MVP since 1986, and if they're not going to give it to Watt after the season he has had this year then I don't think a defensive player will ever win it.

Because you said "that's your opinion" in a thread discussing everyone's opinions, about a made up award, based entirely around opinions.

I found it humorous.

And clearly I don't need to know you and him have different opinions. I could write a thesis about the subject lol.

I explained my reason for doing so. But yeah whenever jvan and I comment in the same thread there's always plenty of humor to be found lol.

Watt's performance this year dwarfs both Taylor's and Alan's MVP years. He has been the most disruptive player in the league all year. If the only thing you can hang on him is his team didn't make the post-season because the Browns lost to the Ravens then that is pretty weak IMO. Houston did have a winning record at 9-7. No QB, Rodgers or Brady or Romo have had the type of historic season Watt has had. Ultimately, not one fan, not one player, not one coach, owner or talking head would have any issue if Watt won it. I really hope he does. It would he a shame to see his historic season not get the recognition it deserves because Houston had clowns at QB.

That's where it becomes a little tricky though.  In 2011, Peyton Manning proved he was the most valuable player on any team, but he didn't play a snap.  So should he have won MVP?  If you strictly go by the definition of the word valuable, you should always give it to a QB since they touch the ball on pretty much every offensive play whereas no other position can say that.  I think the award is MVP, but it should be given to the best player in the league.  Without Watt, the Texans' defense is nothing scary.

The Texans defense is rated #16 with Watts according to ESPN website. Most valuable player does not mean the best player IMO. Watt is the defensive player of the year, not the most valuable. Most valuable IMO means they help take their team to the playoffs and without them they wouldn't stand a chance. Rogers, Brady and a couple of other players fit that bill more than Watts. That's just my opinion and it really don't mean much to those who vote.

He should be, but MVP is usually a QB only award.

As much as I hate the fact that JJ Watt is in our division, enjoy watching him gentlemen.  There is little doubt in my mind that he's the GOAT at his position.  

Not always.  In the past 10 years there have been 3  non-QB's win the award.

Adrian Peterson

LaDainian Tomlinson

Shaun Alexander

as great as Watt has been, you need to make the playoffs to be the most valuable player.

My vote goes to DeMarco Murray.  He is the reason the Cowboys are sitting at 12-4.  He was far and away the best back in football despite defenses planning against him, he took the ball out of Romo's hands AND he covered up that bad defense by allowing them to dominate the possession game.

Take Murray off the Cowboys and they are the same ol' Cowboys, 8-8 at best.

Watt's performance this year dwarfs both Taylor's and Alan's MVP years. He has been the most disruptive player in the league all year. If the only thing you can hang on him is his team didn't make the post-season because the Browns lost to the Ravens then that is pretty weak IMO. Houston did have a winning record at 9-7. No QB, Rodgers or Brady or Romo have had the type of historic season Watt has had. Ultimately, not one fan, not one player, not one coach, owner or talking head would have any issue if Watt won it. I really hope he does. It would he a shame to see his historic season not get the recognition it deserves because Houston had clowns at QB.

Exactly, Watt's performance this season was historic and pretty much a once in a lifetime performance, unless he repeats it of course.  If Rodgers had a historic, record breaking season, there might be an argument, but he didn't.  While Watts might not necessarily fit the credentials for MVP because his team didn't make the playoffs, his performance more than deserves it.  Defensive Player of the Year does not justify what he did this season. 

Exactly, Watt's performance this season was historic and pretty much a once in a lifetime performance, unless he repeats it of course. If Rodgers had a historic, record breaking season, there might be an argument, but he didn't. While Watts might not necessarily fit the credentials for MVP because his team didn't make the playoffs, his performance more than deserves it. Defensive Player of the Year does not justify what he did this season.

what records did he break this season?

what records did he break this season?

Records? He set historical marks:

J.J. Watt’s Accomplishments for the 2014 Season

- 5th player in NFL history to have 50+ sacks in their first four seasons in the NFL, joined Reggie White (70), Derrick Thomas (58),DeMarcus Ware (53.5), Dwight Freeney (51). Watt currently as 51 through thirteen games.

-First defensive lineman since Chicago Bears DE Connie Mack Berry in 1944 to have at least five touchdowns in a season. Berry had six.

-First defensive linemen or linebacker since to have five touchdowns in a season since LB Bob Hoffman had five touchdowns for the Los Angeles Rams in 1948. Hoffman is the only linebacker in NFL history with five touchdowns in a season.

-First defensive player to have five touchdowns in a season since DB Ken Houston had five touchdowns (all returns) for the Houston Oilers in 1971.

-First player since Chicago Bears DB J.C. Caroline in 1956 to score multiple touchdowns on offense and defense in the same season.

-First player with at least one fumble return for touchdown, one inter- ception return for touchdown and one receiving touchdown since St. Louis Rams DB Billy Stacy in 1961.

-First player in NFL history with five total touchdowns and at least one fumble return for touchdown, one interception return for touchdown and one receiving touchdown.

-First player in NFL history with 10 or more sacks, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and at least one touchdown in NFL history. One of three players in NFL history with at least 30 tackles, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and at least one touchdown (Jack Del Rio- New Orleans, 1985; Mike Johnson- Cleveland, 1992). He is the only player with two or more touchdowns.

-First player in NFL history with at least eight passes defensed, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and at least one touchdown. Only player in NFL history with at least 10 sacks, five fumbles recovered, three forced fumbles and eight passes defensed.

-One of two players in NFL history with at least 30 tackles, five fumbles recovered, three forced fumbles and eight passes defense (Jared Allen- Kansas City, 2006)

-One of two players in NFL history with at least 10 sacks, five fumbles recovered, three forced fumbles and one interception (Rob Burnett- Baltimore, 2000)

- Joined Jason Taylor as the only player to record 10 sacks and 10 passes defensed in two different seasons since 1991.

-Became the first player in NFL history to record two seasons with more than 20 sacks (20.5 in 2012 and again in 2014).

http://hou.scout.com/story/1496579-j-j-watt-puts-together-a-season-for-the-ages

Records? He set historical marks:

J.J. Watt’s Accomplishments for the 2014 Season

- 5th player in NFL history to have 50+ sacks in their first four seasons in the NFL, joined Reggie White (70), Derrick Thomas (58),DeMarcus Ware (53.5), Dwight Freeney (51). Watt currently as 51 through thirteen games.

-First defensive lineman since Chicago Bears DE Connie Mack Berry in 1944 to have at least five touchdowns in a season. Berry had six.

-First defensive linemen or linebacker since to have five touchdowns in a season since LB Bob Hoffman had five touchdowns for the Los Angeles Rams in 1948. Hoffman is the only linebacker in NFL history with five touchdowns in a season.

-First defensive player to have five touchdowns in a season since DB Ken Houston had five touchdowns (all returns) for the Houston Oilers in 1971.

-First player since Chicago Bears DB J.C. Caroline in 1956 to score multiple touchdowns on offense and defense in the same season.

-First player with at least one fumble return for touchdown, one inter- ception return for touchdown and one receiving touchdown since St. Louis Rams DB Billy Stacy in 1961.

-First player in NFL history with five total touchdowns and at least one fumble return for touchdown, one interception return for touchdown and one receiving touchdown.

-First player in NFL history with 10 or more sacks, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and at least one touchdown in NFL history. One of three players in NFL history with at least 30 tackles, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and at least one touchdown (Jack Del Rio- New Orleans, 1985; Mike Johnson- Cleveland, 1992). He is the only player with two or more touchdowns.

-First player in NFL history with at least eight passes defensed, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and at least one touchdown. Only player in NFL history with at least 10 sacks, five fumbles recovered, three forced fumbles and eight passes defensed.

-One of two players in NFL history with at least 30 tackles, five fumbles recovered, three forced fumbles and eight passes defense (Jared Allen- Kansas City, 2006)

-One of two players in NFL history with at least 10 sacks, five fumbles recovered, three forced fumbles and one interception (Rob Burnett- Baltimore, 2000)

- Joined Jason Taylor as the only player to record 10 sacks and 10 passes defensed in two different seasons since 1991.

-Became the first player in NFL history to record two seasons with more than 20 sacks (20.5 in 2012 and again in 2014).

http://hou.scout.com/story/1496579-j-j-watt-puts-together-a-season-for-the-ages

Almost all of that are things accomplished over multiple seasons. The mvp award isn't a career award. Its for one season. The offensive tds aren't that impressive to me. Any te could have caught those balls

Almost all of that are things accomplished over multiple seasons. The mvp award isn't a career award. Its for one season. The offensive tds aren't that impressive to me. Any te could have caught those balls

Read the list again. Several are for this season only.

You can be unimpressed by his TDs but he is not a TE, he is a Dlineman making those catches.

The Texans defense is rated #16 with Watts according to ESPN website. Most valuable player does not mean the best player IMO. Watt is the defensive player of the year, not the most valuable. Most valuable IMO means they help take their team to the playoffs and without them they wouldn't stand a chance. Rogers, Brady and a couple of other players fit that bill more than Watts. That's just my opinion and it really don't mean much to those who vote.

He isn't that valuable.  He plays DE, for Christ's sake.  If he was that valuable, he would've been able to put his team on his back and carry them to 11-12 wins, like Aaron Rodgers did.  But he didn't, because you can't as a friggen DE.  The defensive unit he spearheaded was average, and they won 9 games against a last place schedule.  Whoop-dee-do.

Those 3 one-yard TD catches were a pathetic gimmick in order to garner him votes, and should count against him, in my opinion.