Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great Run BY Herron

dw49

Sure did pretty good job on the 3rd down run too as they screwed us out of that 1st down.

i hate how they only had the camera down one side (the blocked side) of the first down marker.  it was clearly a first down but we were robbed.  if it was a SNF or MNF game, it would have been obvious to those clueless refs.  They were horrible all day.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate how they only had the camera down one side (the blocked side) of the first down marker.  it was clearly a first down but we were robbed.  if it was a SNF or MNF game, it would have been obvious to those clueless refs.  They were horrible all day.

Tough game to officiate in all fairness. The DB's were aggressive all game long.

The problem is, with 2 RBs that you cannot make your mind between, you do not let the RB get into any kind of rhythm.

I felt that Herron, given rhythm and more continuity, can do a bit more damage. Herron has the wheels to go outside tackles a little better, IMO but in this game, the Browns did a great job of containing, that D is better than advertised.

Thanks to Hoyer stinking it up, we came out with a win.

Sentimental Chuck started TRich instead of just playing Boom and letting him grow up on the field.  At this point I'm ready to live with the fumbles (if its really a problem), I just can't watch TRich anymore.  Neither RB had a good day pass protecting Luck and gave up sacks.  Its a real problem when your QB is the leading rusher with 37 yards.

Sentimental Chuck started TRich instead of just playing Boom and letting him grow up on the field. At this point I'm ready to live with the fumbles (if its really a problem), I just can't watch TRich anymore. Neither RB had a good day pass protecting Luck and gave up sacks. Its a real problem when your QB is the leading rusher with 37 yards.

Richardson played fine, aside from the poor protection on a couple of plays. And Boom got more snaps and more touches. They are in a timeshare, in the truest sense of the word, and Boom is gradually moving ahead of Richardson.

Also, the reason the QB was the leading rusher is because we didn't give either running back enough carries. Not because of a lack of effectiveness.

I just don't get how we play a team with a poor rush defense like the Browns and we spend most of the game throwing into the teeth of their strength.  Their should have been much more effort to run the football against those guys.  Most of our runs were going for positive yardage.  I didn't get it.

I don't care who started the game.   (Trent)

I care about who was in when it was crunch time.   (Boom)

Boom is the guy.   He's getting the important plays and series.

Everything else is window dressing.

And since we've been using multiple backs since this staff got here,  I expect we'll continue to use multiple backs the rest of the way.

In other words,  EXPECT more Trent Richardson.    He'll get less than Boom.   But he's not going anywhere.    I'm not sure why this same thread has to happen every week........

Who was in the game on 3rd and 4th down on the goal line at the moment of truth?      MONEY TIME...    No T Rich...

His days here are numbered.    The staff knows it and everyone else does.

Yes and I DO actually WATCH the games.  And my comments are based on the GAMES not on PRECONCEIVED ideas (I thought I'd try capitalizing random words as well.  It's fun I can see why you do it.)

I like Boom and I've like him since he became a Colt (I hated him when he played for Ohio State) and I never said that Boom doesn't have a good burst.  Yet with that dynamic burst Boom average 3.25 yards per carry while the "sloth" had 4.3 ypc.  When TRich average 3.25 he sucks, when Boom averages 3.25 he's great.  Just pointing out the differences.

Good Lord I want Tipton to get a chance...    I swear if he does Trent may get cut....

And I am STONE COLD serious...     This staff has given up on Trent..      and it happened LAST season.    Like you say he is NOT in the game when they NEED production. .   

And since we've been using multiple backs since this staff got here,  I expect we'll continue to use multiple backs the rest of the way.

In other words,  EXPECT more Trent Richardson.    He'll get less than Boom.   But he's not going anywhere.    I'm not sure why this same thread has to happen every week........

Yippppeeeeeeeeeee   Trent averaged over 4 ypg for the first time in his entire Colt career????

Yes I am being snarky...         All the Trent defenders are getting thin really fast ,,,  and I was one for way too long...   

He just is not very good.      Period.     

I like how you keep avoiding the point I'm making.  S'alright, it's just funny.

I just don't get how we play a team with a poor rush defense like the Browns and we spend most of the game throwing into the teeth of their strength. Their should have been much more effort to run the football against those guys. Most of our runs were going for positive yardage. I didn't get it.

We had several runs wiped out by penalties, and because of those penalties and the drops and so on, we had long situations. Could have been a little more determined with the run, though.

Also, the fake dive pitch was a great play call that had big yardage written all over it. Boom was gonna be one on one with a safety about ten yards down the line of scrimmage. Could have been another big play for him. But AC jumped early, and now it's third and long.

TO's and what 6 or 7 drops make a D look a lot better than they are .      The Colts are sloppy.    And if that does not mend itself they are one and done in the playoffs.      This team is just really careless.    

JMO

The problem is, with 2 RBs that you cannot make your mind between, you do not let the RB get into any kind of rhythm.

I felt that Herron, given rhythm and more continuity, can do a bit more damage. Herron has the wheels to go outside tackles a little better, IMO but in this game, the Browns did a great job of containing, that D is better than advertised.

Thanks to Hoyer stinking it up, we came out with a win.

We had several runs wiped out by penalties, and because of those penalties and the drops and so on, we had long situations. Could have been a little more determined with the run, though.

Also, the fake dive pitch was a great play call that had big yardage written all over it. Boom was gonna be one on one with a safety about ten yards down the line of scrimmage. Could have been another big play for him. But AC jumped early, and now it's third and long.

OMG!  That fake dive pitch was going to go for big yards.  They were completely thrown off by that thing.

I have been saying to myself for some time now that we needed to add the fake dive pitch like the Chargers

used to always do against us with Ladainian Tomlinson.  I was glad to see that thing, and I hope to see it again

with  Boom Herron running it.

I hear ya B-Town. I think Pep just couldn't believe the amount of time that Luck was getting behind the o-line and just decided to focus on the pass. Somebody those ugly plays could have been avoided by Luck running or hitting the check down.

Check down? I don't think he's ever heard of that.

So, let me get this straight.  When, in a game TRich has 3.25 yards per carry with one nice run he sucks and has not vision or lateral movement or burst or....  When Boom has 3.25 yards per carry in a game with one nice run he's amazing.

I'm glad people are so consistent and no double standards or anything.

No one said Boom had an amazing game. He had a run that saved the Colts day.

And people are down on TRich because 3.25 is pretty much his career average.

Good Lord I want Tipton to get a chance...    I swear if he does Trent may get cut....

And I am STONE COLD serious...     This staff has given up on Trent..      and it happened LAST season.    Like you say he is NOT in the game when they NEED production. .   

I don't see Trent getting cut because his salary is guaranteed.    So, if we're going to pay him one way or the other,  then I'd rather him be on the roster then playing for another team.     And I think that's the view of the coaches and front office as well.

I don't want the Colts paying him $3.3 Mill to play for somebody else next year.    He can still help the Colts even if he's not starting.

I'm just trying to be practical here.....

So, let me get this straight. When, in a game TRich has 3.25 yards per carry with one nice run he sucks and has not vision or lateral movement or burst or.... When Boom has 3.25 yards per carry in a game with one nice run he's amazing.

I'm glad people are so consistent and no double standards or anything.

I agree.. at this point it doesnt matter if trich had 200 yards.. peoples hate for him is so deep itll never change.. its sad really.

I think he has one ;year left at 2m per...???     How bad did the Browns want him gone? 

Cleveland ATE the signing bonus...    which is why the trade was a no brainer for the Colts at the time.    

Get a 3rd overall pick and only have to pay him pennies on his original contract.     BUT... 

Johnny football for trent Rich...     My money says they both meet the same fate.

I don't see Trent getting cut because his salary is guaranteed.    So, if we're going to pay him one way or the other,  then I'd rather him be on the roster then playing for another team.     And I think that's the view of the coaches and front office as well.

I don't want the Colts paying him $3.3 Mill to play for somebody else next year.    He can still help the Colts even if he's not starting.

I'm just trying to be practical here.....

Yet, Bradshaw and Trich had combined for around 60 catches

Aaaand how many passes has he thrown?

That's about 11 percent. And I've seen about double that, where he could have checked down for some yards instead of forcing throws and incompletions.

Nvm the fact that most of the plays to bradshaw were DESIGNED that way. That's not a check down.

Yes and I DO actually WATCH the games.  And my comments are based on the GAMES not on PRECONCEIVED ideas (I thought I'd try capitalizing random words as well.  It's fun I can see why you do it.)

I like Boom and I've like him since he became a Colt (I hated him when he played for Ohio State) and I never said that Boom doesn't have a good burst.  Yet with that dynamic burst Boom average 3.25 yards per carry while the "sloth" had 4.3 ypc.  When TRich average 3.25 he sucks, when Boom averages 3.25 he's great.  Just pointing out the differences.

I don't think anyone could call me a "TR" hater . In all of the threads in two years , I just recently conceded that the Browns skinned us pretty good in that trade. I don't think the trade will effect us long term nor do I think TR is a totally horrible RB. He's pretty good in the passing game and not bad at short yardage situations. I'm pretty surprised he was not in the game on the 3rd and 1 in the last 2 minutes. Could be the reason is the Colts wanted to hand the ball off and with Herron in there maybe they thought Cleveland would think maybe the play might not be a handoff ?

Anyway I think you have to look at Herron's stats a little closer concerning yesterday. He actually made two good runs at games end that he was credited for 1 total yard. He made the 1st down on the one for no gain and the other was a very nice run for 1 yard. When you only have 8 carries , it turns averaging 4 yards into a hair over 3. Trent on the other hand has had a career full of bad yards per carry. In his defense there is some bad O line play and also runs vs stacked boxes. However... when you watch him , he is just too slow hitting the whole. Indecisive and sometimes picks the wrong hole. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year as he didn't know the offense , but this year seems to be a lot of the same.

Yippppeeeeeeeeeee   Trent averaged over 4 ypg for the first time in his entire Colt career????

Yes I am being snarky...         All the Trent defenders are getting thin really fast ,,,  and I was one for way too long...   

He just is not very good.      Period.     

2KODfWh.gif

I don't think anyone could call me a "TR" hater . In all of the threads in two years , I just recently conceded that the Browns skinned us pretty good in that trade. I don't think the trade will effect us long term nor do I think TR is a totally horrible RB. He's pretty good in the passing game and not bad at short yardage situations. I'm pretty surprised he was not in the game on the 3rd and 1 in the last 2 minutes. Could be the reason is the Colts wanted to hand the ball off and with Herron in there maybe they thought Cleveland would think maybe the play might not be a handoff ?

Anyway I think you have to look at Herron's stats a little closer concerning yesterday. He actually made two good runs at games end that he was credited for 1 total yard. He made the 1st down on the one for no gain and the other was a very nice run for 1 yard. When you only have 8 carries , it turns averaging 4 yards into a hair over 3. Trent on the other hand has had a career full of bad yards per carry. In his defense there is some bad O line play and also runs vs stacked boxes. However... when you watch him , he is just too slow hitting the whole. Indecisive and sometimes picks the wrong hole. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year as he didn't know the offense , but this year seems to be a lot of the same.

I don't need to look at his numbers more closely.  I'm just asking why does Boom have a great game at 3.25 yards per carry and TRich sucks at 3.25 ypc.

I'm not saying Trich is great, I'm not saying Boom is bad.  Just find the board funny and thought I would point out one of the many, many reasons.

Aaaand how many passes has he thrown?

That's about 11 percent. And I've seen about double that, where he could have checked down for some yards instead of forcing throws and incompletions.

Nvm the fact that most of the plays to bradshaw were DESIGNED that way. That's not a check down.

So, you want 22% of passing plays to result in check downs?

I highly doubt that last sentence is true.....in the red zone maybe.

I don't believe Herron had that many carries for one thing, and then the other thing is he had some big catches in the passing game that went for chunk yardage as well.  That is why no one is saying Herron sucked or had a bad game.  The other issue is people are used to watching T Rich over a number of games and have gained the feeling they have from that sample size.  Herron on the other hand has not played very much so people have a lot more patience with the process.  I don't think too many people cared much about Trents average after his 3rd game playing.

On a side note...is anyone else tired of using multiple Backs instead of giving Boom or Trent 20-25 carries and seeing what they can do? If neither can gain sufficient yards on those amount of carries fine but staff is trying so hard to cut there carries even  when one is running well (Like Trent has 3-4 times this season) he gets so many few carries he cant take advantage of it, I think staff needs to turn one of these guys loose

I don't need to look at his numbers more closely.  I'm just asking why does Boom have a great game at 3.25 yards per carry and TRich sucks at 3.25 ypc.

I'm not saying Trich is great, I'm not saying Boom is bad.  Just find the board funny and thought I would point out one of the many, many reasons.

Well to be honest with you , I looked at the 7 or 8 posts that were made in this thread before you posted the question why "when Boom averages 3.2 yards he's amazing .. etc etc.  and did not find one post that even inferred that. I started the thread and only said the one yard run was terrific. Which it was and I'll stand behind that all day long. In fact I think somewhere in the thread I made the comment that he stunk in pass protection yesterday. So unless you are talking about some posts outside of this tread where Boom averaged 3 yards a carry in a game and everyone said he was amazing , I 'm a little confused. 

That was a great call.  Would like to have seen how it would have turned out.

Sentimental Chuck started TRich instead of just playing Boom and letting him grow up on the field.  At this point I'm ready to live with the fumbles (if its really a problem), I just can't watch TRich anymore.  Neither RB had a good day pass protecting Luck and gave up sacks.  Its a real problem when your QB is the leading rusher with 37 yards.

Letting him grow up on the field, which may include more fumbles when you're in the thick of a PO race, is not a good idea IMO.  If we were out of it, fine.  They'll have to share carries anyway.  The days of the workhorse RB is a rarity nowadays.

So, you want 22% of passing plays to result in check downs?

I highly doubt that last sentence is true.....in the red zone maybe.

Unless either one of us care to, which I doubt, we could go back and watch all the games again and figure it out.

But if that's the only thing that's open, I'd take a short completion over a long incompletion.

On a side note...is anyone else tired of using multiple Backs instead of giving Boom or Trent 20-25 carries and seeing what they can do? If neither can gain sufficient yards on those amount of carries fine but staff is trying so hard to cut there carries even  when one is running well (Like Trent has 3-4 times this season) he gets so many few carries he cant take advantage of it, I think staff needs to turn one of these guys loose

I don't know why anyone would be tired of the staff using multiple backs.

I think many (most? more than 50%) teams do.    It's not like 30 teams use one back and the Colts are one of two teams that use multiple....

I've got no problem with that aspect of our offense.

The OL looks HORRIBLE WHEN TRENT IS ROCKING THE BALL. 

Everyone else seems to ...   ...........       well do well ... or very well..  

Now pass pro is another discussion.

Is it possible for you to make a comment without the caps? We are reading the comments. not listening to them.

Unless either one of us care to, which I doubt, we could go back and watch all the games again and figure it out.

But if that's the only thing that's open, I'd take a short completion over a long incompletion.

Why complain about an offense who leads the league in yardage? I think the offense is doing fine. This negative stuff is getting real old.