Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Today's Game Save Caldwell's Job? [Merge]

objectivecoltsfan

I doubt it. It's not like we actually won that game or anything. It is still the 12th loss of the season at the end of the day. We just did some cosmetic scoring in garbage time against a prevent defense to help us all feel a bit better about the final score.

The difference in the game was the Pats played prevent in the 4th quarter. But Caldwell had his Colts playing prevent style defense throughout the whole friggin game.

We have already seen some changes in personnel, and we may see more before the end of the season. Certainly we will see plenty of changes between now and next season, but I think Caldwell will keep his job. They will let him stick around until we get Manning back. Now, if things aren't turned around big time by midway through 2012, then I think he'll be gone. I don't think he is a terrible coach, I just think that he has had a very difficult time adjusting to a Peyton-less Colts team. His entire gameplan is out the window. You can argue that a good coach should be able to adapt, and you would have a valid point, but like I said, I think they will let him stay until he gets his starting QB back. Even if we don't win a game.

People here seem determined to get Caldwell out, well it appeared to me today that the players played hard, did what they were told and in the end came up just 7 points short. This was AT NE where I believe Vegas had them as something close to 20+ pt dogs and NBC opted out of the game. Yes NE scored on us, whom haven't they scored on this season, but we also put up 24 points and actually had what appeared to be a passing game along with a okay running game today. I think this team showed heart today in a game they could have as easily laid down for and not one person would have thought anything about it.

We saw today what even decent QB play can do for you. I think there is no question that we can play Baltimore tough next week and can beat TN and or Houston here and maybe take out Jax on New Years day. I also think had the coaching staff/mag't made the right call and put Dan in during the bye week we beat Carolina last week.

I believe that with how the team played today and if they continue to play hard over the remaining games both Irsay and Polian will keep Caldwell and make some other some adjustments to the coaching staff.

Okay...lets here from all the negative fans now...

Okay...lets here from all the negative fans now...

it was NE's terrible secondary, it was in garbage time, Belichick told them to take the foot off the gas so he could be proven correct (that the Colts actually could compete against them), etc, etc.........

it was NE's terrible secondary, it was in garbage time, Belichick told them to take the foot off the gas so he could be proven correct (that the Colts actually could compete against them), etc, etc.........

Yes NE secondary ins't that great, but to give up 24 pts to the Colts...and Bill never...ever...ever takes his foot off anything.

Glad you have such a negative attitude about the game. At least the players didn't lay down and quit. No we didn't win but Dan had better numbers than Brady so if given more time with the starters I think he will get that win. I for one don't care it it's garbage time or not a win is a win and I think the Pats were surprised that we were able to come back and make it a close game. If we hadn't had so many flags thrown on our mistakes the game could have been a whole lot different. We basically shot ourselves in the foot with the penalty's. Sorry just kind of tired of all the negativity. I am just wanting a win and I think most fans want that also.

I'm glad I don't live in Indy so I won't have to listen to Polian tomorrow night. I'm sure he will commend Caldwell for an excellent coaching job. This game will probably be enough to keep him around around year.

they scored most their points when NE let off the gas.Offense and Defense still look awful.Orlavsky looks more like a pro QB though than Painter,not that that says much.This team is still in mortal jeopardy of 0-16.

Why is it a "loser" attitude?

Because this goes well beyond Ws and Ls in front of what should be your leader even in Colts-land where there is no plan for winning beyond the absent Manning formula. Look at the play calling today, among other things both this year & beyond. If there isn't enough evidence on the field for you I'm sure there's not much to add for clarity. Enjoy your bliss.

I'm telling you the way its going to be...

You can bay at the moon...

..but we arent going to fire Caldwell and you know it..

Like I said, you repeating a thing doesn't make it right. That's the only thing I'm certain of in this conversation.

Because this goes well beyond Ws and Ls in front of what should be your leader even in Colts-land where there is no plan for winning beyond the absent Manning formula. Look at the play calling today, among other things both this year & beyond. If there isn't enough evidence on the field for you I'm sure there's not much to add for clarity. Enjoy your bliss.

Like I said, you repeating a thing doesn't make it right. That's the only thing I'm certain of in this conversation.

I know its hard to handle ..if you want him fired

but if we were going to fire Caldwell..he'd have been gone when Coyer left...obviously

....You know the Colts like I do..and they're loyal to their guys..

Like it or not..Caldwell will get a chance WITH Manning next season...and we'll rebound

I'm glad I don't live in Indy so I won't have to listen to Polian tomorrow night. I'm sure he will commend Caldwell for an excellent coaching job. This game will probably be enough to keep him around around year.

You must be kidding. If anything it confirmed his incompetence. He waited too late to make Orlovsky the starter and he waited too long to make the change in DC. He had the opportunity to do so during the bye week and failed to do so. Matter of fact he was praising Painter as the starter until the day before Polian and Polian decided to bench Painter and start Orlovsky.

Let me propose a hypothetical question...

What if Bill Belicheck was our coach and Maning went down for the season. Would Bill go 0-12 at this point in the season, with this same exact team? If you say yes he would because of the personnel, then we should keep Caldwell because it's the fair thing to do. If you believe that no amount of coaching would make a difference with the team that we have.

I contend that with BB we would have definitely won a few games this season. He would have changes schemes to adjust to the strengths of our players. He wouldn't allow for a quarterback in his fist year as a starter to constantly throw for 40+ attempts. He would've found a way to win. If you also believe this, then it's fair to think that Caldwell is under performing and deserves to be fired.

To be a part of a team like the Colts, who have been a winning team for over a decade, you have to have high standards. You cannot be okay with losing every game because PM isn't playing.

I dont think caldwell will be fired because Manning's been out all season...

It still comes down to that..

Should not come to that. The very fact that people believe that is reason alone for him to be fired. Then by this logic, the Polians should be fired. To be honest. Caldwell should be fired for losing so badly with one player out. Polians should be fired for putting Caldwell in this position.

Should not come to that. The very fact that people believe that is reason alone for him to be fired. Then by this logic, the Polians should be fired. To be honest. Caldwell should be fired for losing so badly with one player out. Polians should be fired for putting Caldwell in this position.

But do you really think its going to happen...?

Considering the circumstances....You know the answer to that..

...so to continue to use Caldwell as a catch-all dart board...for blame seems counter productive..

Caldwell will be fired. This team had the personnel to win last week (today's performance proved this) and imagine if Orlovsky had been playing against Carolina. I would have stopped for drinks to celebrate instead of drowning another loss. I bet my season tickets he is gone next year.

I know its hard to handle ..if you want him fired

but if we were going to fire Caldwell..he'd have been gone when Coyer left...obviously

....You know the Colts like I do..and they're loyal to their guys..

Like it or not..Caldwell will get a chance WITH Manning next season...and we'll rebound

It's got nothing to do with what I want. Results are in - Caldwell underachieves, is a poor tactician, makes poor decisions under pressure when all of the chips are on the table, and isn't able to get a single win this year with Manning's coattails unavailable for a ride. What should all of this add up to? Change at HC.

I my view the Colts have been loyal to Caldwell. Brought him along under Dungy and promoted him. He's racked up a good number of years in the organization and has had his opportunity but it's time to part ways because he clearly doesn't have what it takes. If I'm in ownership's shoes I have no problem moving forward without Caldwell and wishing him well in his future endeavors. I'd be more concerned with building winning legacy in Indianapolis transitioning from the last Manning years into what lies ahead.

What if Bill Belicheck was our coach and Maning went down for the season. Would Bill go 0-12 at this point in the season, with this same exact team? If you say yes he would because of the personnel, then we should keep Caldwell because it's the fair thing to do. If you believe that no amount of coaching would make a difference with the team that we have.

I contend that with BB we would have definitely won a few games this season. He would have changes schemes to adjust to the strengths of our players. He wouldn't allow for a quarterback in his fist year as a starter to constantly throw for 40+ attempts. He would've found a way to win. If you also believe this, then it's fair to think that Caldwell is under performing and deserves to be fired.

To be a part of a team like the Colts, who have been a winning team for over a decade, you have to have high standards. You cannot be okay with losing every game because PM isn't playing.

I couldn't agree more. Jim Caldwell needs to finish out the string to get us the top draft pick, because he has earned it. After we are guaranteed number one pick show him the door with "lovely parting" gifts.

Irsay has bigger responsibility and commitment to the City/State than he does to a single man he's employed for years and provided opportunity to that is simply not able to get the job done. If he's that concerned about Caldwell's welfare beyond Colts HC, maybe he could give him a quiet job elsewhere in the organization far removed from things decision and performance related. Seriously. That could be honorable on both the team and personal level if circumstances warrant.

Caldwell will absolutely be fired at seasons end. Colts are loyal to there people but they don't put up with 0-16 and that's where we will be. Maybe 1-15 but not going to matter. Caldwell will be gone and he should. Losing ur starting qb isn't an excuse to go winless. Other teams with good HC have proven this. Caldwells win loss has been getting worse each year along with the team getting worse. Polian/Irsay will sit down and evaluate cakdwells time here and decide. He's got one year left on his contract and I dont see him coaching next year. He's failed to win and make adjustments for 12 straight weeks that doesn't help keep a job at all. Just my opinion I'm know a few of u think Caldwell is great and his awful record in NCAA was just a great coach on a bad team and he took us to a super bowl and went 14-0 blah blah blah. Manning did those things and it's not fair to him.

Let's take a step back and get off the fact the scoring against a prevent NE defense.... let's think about the defense we run ALL THE TIME!!!! Change D-Coordinators, fine. But at some point the HC has to look at the situation and say, "hmmm.... something isn't working" and try something else.

This gets overlooked if you are winning and in the playoffs every year, but when you can't win a single game... someone has to pay.

An L is still an L last time I checked. Close only counts in horseshoes(not this horseshoe) and hand grenades. Why should he keep his job over 1 win if he does get one?

Close also counts with nuclear weapons. If he loses the job it will be for the season long performance--or lack thereof.

The season Brady missed and the Pats still got to the playoffs proves it isn't the QB that makes the difference in New England. Bill Belichek is a coach on a level with the greatest.

The season Brady missed and the Pats still got to the playoffs proves it isn't the QB that makes the difference in New England. Bill Belichek is a coach on a level with the greatest.

They did not make the playoffs that year. Now, it is not often that a team goes 11-5 and misses the playoffs, but they did miss the playoffs that year.