Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hilton v Browner

scousecolt

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belichick isn't that dumb to put Browner on TY.

And I wouldn't put Revis on TY.

TY requires a double team.  I would use Ryan or Butler on TY with a safety (McCourty) over the top of him all game.

Revis or Arrington on Wayne.

Browner on Nicks or Allen

Browner would be a good matchup on Allen.

Dennard still available

The Pats have so many options in the secondary now.

I don't understand this thing now where fans think they're predicting in-game offensive/defensive match-ups. The entire "How do we stop Gronk?" thread gave me an ice cream headache. Is this like a video game, Madden kind of thing? I don't know, I'm too old for video games now, lol... 

The Patriots will not simply assign Browner and/or Revis to a single player and keep him there the entire game. Because that would mean you're playing exclusively in man, 100% of the time. New England will not do that, especially since you have a very talented but still fairly young QB who makes a few head-scratching decisions in each game. They will mix up their coverages on Luck. There are a lot of uncertainties about this game, but that's not one of them.

Hoping we take advantage of this match up. Hilton has burnt Browner in past, Browner hasn't got the legs to keep up with Hilton on crossing routes or on deep balls. I think this and possibly Moncrief on Browner too could be a big advantage to the Colts.

Browner cannot cover cover him in space. He would need a Safety over the top.  I wouldn't be shocked if the Belicheck tried this though.  Revis takes Reggie. The TEs and Moncrief/Nicks have to be productive.

our TEs can beat their LBers. thats the matchup we need to take advantage of. we also need to run the ball. patriots are 26th against the run I believe. less time brady is on the field the better

And our TE's will SMOKE your LB's since the Colts biggest weakness is covering TE's.

The Steelers made the Colts look so bad. They couldn't stop a nose bleed.

You better hope Davis is 100%.

TY requires a double team.  I would use Ryan or Butler on TY with a safety (McCourty) over the top of him all game.

Dennard still available

Browner on Allen is a tough matchup for the Colts.  Browner did a good job on Julius Thomas.

I don't understand this thing now where fans think they're predicting in-game offensive/defensive match-ups. The entire "How do we stop Gronk?" thread gave me an ice cream headache. Is this like a video game, Madden kind of thing? I don't know, I'm too old for video games now, lol... 

The Patriots will not simply assign Browner and/or Revis to a single player and keep him there the entire game. Because that would mean you're playing exclusively in man, 100% of the time. New England will not do that, especially since you have a very talented but still fairly young QB who makes a few head-scratching decisions in each game. They will mix up their coverages on Luck. There are a lot of uncertainties about this game, but that's not one of them.

Exactly and vs Denver you had no idea who was covering who each play, It was that mixed up- never mind the hidden coverage BB does.

That's true.

But one of the certainties I hope is the Pats put a constant double team on TY especially with a long field behind them to defend.

And our TE's will SMOKE your LB's since the Colts biggest weakness is covering TE's.

The Steelers made the Colts look so bad. They couldn't stop a nose bleed.

You better hope Davis is 100%.

And our TE's will SMOKE your LB's since the Colts biggest weakness is covering TE's.  Why do you assume the Colts will cover Gronk with LBs?  Wouldn't that be kind of stupid since even you know that the Colt LBs are poor in coverage?

The Steelers made the Colts look so bad. They couldn't stop a nose bleed.  Chiefs made the Pats look much worse.  Not only couldn't the Pats stop the Chiefs, but the Pats barely put up 14 points.  Colts at least made a game of it against the Steelers

You better hope Davis is 100%.  He is, but thank you for your concern

That's true.

But one of the certainties I hope is the Pats put a constant double team on TY especially with a long field behind them to defend.

Pat fans are always talking about TY Hilton or Reggie Wayne but have no idea of our WR pick in the draft this past year, Donte Moncrief AKA FEEDMONCRIEF. He has a similar playing style to a young Reggie Wayne but is taller. He had 12 targets against Pitt for over 100 yards receiving and a TD score. We have plenty of weapons offensively as the Pats do defensively so it should be fine.

The Pats don't have to put any one guy on Hilton all game long. But if they have Browner on Hilton at any point, with no obvious help over the top, the Colts are going to try to exploit that matchup. Even if it's just a handful of coverage snaps, that's enough to get a big play down the field. 

I have a lot of respect for Revis, so I feel funny saying it, but I don't think he can cover Hilton one on one, either. And it's not because Hilton is the greatest of all time or anything like that, but it's just not a good matchup for Revis because of Hilton's speed, and how we play him off the line. 

And our TE's will SMOKE your LB's since the Colts biggest weakness is covering TE's.  Why do you assume the Colts will cover Gronk with LBs?  Wouldn't that be kind of stupid since even you know that the Colt LBs are poor in coverage?

The Steelers made the Colts look so bad. They couldn't stop a nose bleed.  Chiefs made the Pats look much worse.  Not only couldn't the Pats stop the Chiefs, but the Pats barely put up 14 points.  Colts at least made a game of it against the Steelers

You better hope Davis is 100%.  He is, but thank you for your concern

Go ahead, please put Davis on Gronk.  Then LaFell, Tyms, Edelman, Amendola and Wright will be open like against the Broncos.

The Chiefs beat the Pats in week 4.  We all know the Pats were a different team then.  Much of the team has changed offensively and defensively.  Colts got blown out 2 weeks ago with the same team they're been.

And the Pats know Davis since he played with the Phins.  Pats and Brady have a long history of destroying defenses with only one true legit super star in the secondary.  Colts' D is not as good as  the Broncos' D.  That's the bottom line.

Colts' D is not as good as  the Broncos' D.  That's the bottom line.

True and last season it was the same and we still beat the Broncos. We also beat Seattle who had a monster defense & won the superbowl as well as the 49'ers on the road. I am going to say it again, ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. Sure it's lame, but honestly teams still win against the better (on paper) opponent.

Go ahead, please put Davis on Gronk. Then LaFell, Tyms, Edelman, Amendola and Wright will be open like against the Broncos.

The Chiefs beat the Pats in week 4. We all know the Pats were a different team then. Much of the team has changed offensively and defensively. Colts got blown out 2 weeks ago with the same team they're been.

And the Pats know Davis since he played with the Phins. Pats and Brady have a long history of destroying defenses with only one true legit super star in the secondary. Colts' D is not as good as the Broncos' D. That's the bottom line.

Davis is not even close to the player he was in Miami. And hes not the only good player in our secondary. Butler may be the best nickleback in the league, and Toler is one of the best number 2 cbs in the nfl. Brady will of course still get his yards and tds, but it won't be as easy as you think. Our secondary is a lot better than what you give them credit for. Mike adams is rated one of the best cover safties in the nfl, and Sergio Brown has been decent too

Davis is not even close to the player he was in Miami. And hes not the only good player in our secondary. Butler may be the best nickleback in the league, and Toler is one of the best number 2 cbs in the nfl. Brady will of course still get his yards and tds, but it won't be as easy as you think. Our secondary is a lot better than what you give them credit for. Mike adams is rated one of the best cover safties in the nfl, and Sergio Brown has been decent too

Butler I agree is good at nickel but Toler definitely isn't good or even average. Toler has a big play in him and can press fairly well but he gets beat consistently.

I suppose we feel the need to justify why our team will win/lose the game.

Does Vegas take bets on match-ups?

True and last season it was the same and we still beat the Broncos. We also beat Seattle who had a monster defense & won the superbowl as well as the 49'ers on the road. I am going to say it again, ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. Sure it's lame, but honestly teams still win against the better (on paper) opponent.

That's true.  But I think that was then before teams really respected and feared TY.  Last season didn't the Seahawks basically play man to man single coverage on TY the whole game?  The Seahawks believed Sherman or Browner alone could cover TY.  That was their own arrogance and it bit them.

It's been almost a full season since and defensive coordinators are starting to game plan differently (if they were smart) and cover the Colts differently.

And Sherman only plays one side of the field.  The Seahawks also have a different D than the Pats.  Seahawks are a 4-3 pressure D with quick D-linemen.  Pats still use a combo 3-4 and 4-3 with different schemes in the secondary.  Seahawks will show you a consistent 4 man speed rush through out.  Pats will not.  Pats will sometimes only rush 3 D-lineman and you won't know which LB will blitz or be sent back into coverage (Rob Ninkovich INT against Peyton last week.)

Luck most likely won't get blitzed much or put under pressure.  The Pats if they were smart would keep Luck contained in the pocket and the edges sealed.  Force the Colts to run up the middle or make Luck throw into double coverage.  They will force Luck to make very risky throws.

TY requires a double team. I would use Ryan or Butler on TY with a safety (McCourty) over the top of him all game.

Dennard still available

Nicks won't even be starting Sunday

Go ahead, please put Davis on Gronk.  Then LaFell, Tyms, Edelman, Amendola and Wright will be open like against the Broncos.

The Chiefs beat the Pats in week 4.  We all know the Pats were a different team then.  Much of the team has changed offensively and defensively.  Colts got blown out 2 weeks ago with the same team they're been.

And the Pats know Davis since he played with the Phins.  Pats and Brady have a long history of destroying defenses with only one true legit super star in the secondary.  Colts' D is not as good as  the Broncos' D.  That's the bottom line.

The Pats weren't the same team as they were in week 4, but the Pats will know how to exploit Davis because they're familiar with him from almost 3 years ago when he played with Miami?  lmao....are you reading this crap or just putting words down?? lol

Sure, it was 2 weeks ago when the Colts got beaten by the Steelers...it was only 3 weeks ago that the Pats barely squeaked by the Jets...in Gillette!

BTW, you've clearly missed that Toler and Butler have been playing well also.

Butler I agree is good at nickel but Toler definitely isn't good or even average. Toler has a big play in him and can press fairly well but he gets beat consistently.

Toler has been better than average this season...I'd say far better.  Yeah he gets beat from time to time, all CBs do..but as our #2 he  has been very good this year.

All these Pats fans in here think they have it all figured out!  There secondary is so great (which is true), but have they ever thought how weak they are in the run game?  I wouldn't be surprised if this is the biggest ground n pound game we have this season, because the Pats are one of the worst teams in the league defending the run! 

We wont need Luck to throw much more than 25-30 times this game because Trent and Ahmad is going to run the ball down there throats.  Everybody is expecting a shootout, but wouldnt it be a heck of a game plan to just work the run game control the TOP like always and mix in the pass.  If they dare us to run because they're so worried about our aerial assault, then we will gash them for big gains in the run game.  Then when they get sick of getting ran on, the Patriots stack the box, Colts do play action and beat them deep

That way if it's close late in the game their defense is already tired and people like Moncrief, Nicks, and Fleener can shine because they weren't worked all game and realitively fresh compared to the Patriot defense, due to that type of strategy.  Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I say get our RB's heavily involved in the run and pass game, and let those horses work!

hmmmm, the other day all I read on here was: "Gronk better fear Davis." "Davis will shut down Gronk."

I mean, all I read on here was Davis might be the #1 corner in the NFL, even better than Talib.

You don't want to rely on Sergio Brown.

Colts have a better WR core.

Colts have a better D-line IF Mathis plays.

Pats have better TE's.

Pats have better LB's.

Pats have a better O-line.

Pats have a better secondary.

And Sherman only plays one side of the field.  The Seahawks also have a different D than the Pats.  Seahawks are a 4-3 pressure D with quick D-linemen.  Pats still use a combo 3-4 and 4-3 with different schemes in the secondary.  Seahawks will show you a consistent 4 man speed rush through out.  Pats will not.  Pats will sometimes only rush 3 D-lineman and you won't know which LB will blitz or be sent back into coverage (Rob Ninkovich INT against Peyton last week.)

The Colts have a different D than the Broncos but you keep comparing them.  Why is it you can compare the Colt D to the Broncos D but you pick apart someone who compares the Seahawks D to the Pats D?  In fact, in the above paragraph, I could replace "Seahawks" with "Broncos" and "Pats" with "Colts" and the paragraph would still hold true.  But...you knew that....right?

Please tell me you don't think the Colts still run the horrible tampa 2 from a few years ago.  You're not THAT clueless are you?

You're kidding?  Is he not healthy or has his game declined that much?  I remember at the beginning of the season after the first 3 or 4 games some Colts fans were complaining about his lack of productivity.

Nicks has only started 5 out of 9 games and a couple of those were only because Wayne was injured.  Why are you surprised that he wouldn't be starting Sunday?  You're an expert on everything Colts right?

Hoping we take advantage of this match up. Hilton has burnt Browner in past, Browner hasn't got the legs to keep up with Hilton on crossing routes or on deep balls. I think this and possibly Moncrief on Browner too could be a big advantage to the Colts.

Revis will be matched up Hilton majority of the game, per belichick. But i wouldn't want Hilton on matched up with Browner. Browner plays alot of press coverage he goes for the jugular at the LOS now if he's playing off that's a different story. Neither Browner or Revis have the speed to keep up with Hilton. 

That's true.  But I think that was then before teams really respected and feared TY.  Last season didn't the Seahawks basically play man to man single coverage on TY the whole game?  The Seahawks believed Sherman or Browner alone could cover TY.  That was their own arrogance and it bit them.

It's been almost a full season since and defensive coordinators are starting to game plan differently (if they were smart) and cover the Colts differently.

Luck most likely won't get blitzed much or put under pressure.  The Pats if they were smart would keep Luck contained in the pocket and the edges sealed.  Force the Colts to run up the middle or make Luck throw into double coverage.  They will force Luck to make very risky throws.

Luck will take what he is given.  If the Pats don't want to rush he will have time in the pocket to look at all of his options (which will get open eventually, even against that great secondary), or Luck can wiggle away and run for a first down.  If they do blitz then Luck just needs to check it down to either Ahmad or Trent.  I'm pretty sure Andrew has learned by now not to force things against the Pats, but take your shots when they're given, but spread the wealth (like he's done all season), and hit the best guy that's open.

You're kidding?  Is he not healthy or has his game declined that much?  I remember at the beginning of the season after the first 3 or 4 games some Colts fans were complaining about his lack of productivity.

Not that he can't produce, but he's a 5th or 6th option in our offense!  Yes, the Colts are that good :)

hmmmm, the other day all I read on here was: "Gronk better fear Davis." "Davis will shut down Gronk."

I mean, all I read on here was Davis might be the #1 corner in the NFL, even better than Talib.

You don't want to rely on Sergio Brown.

Colts have a better WR core.

Colts have a better D-line IF Mathis plays.

Pats have better TE's.

Pats have better LB's.

Pats have a better O-line.

Pats have a better secondary.

Who has said Gronk should fear Davis? Davis won't even be covering him. Your WRs should fear Davis, which I'm guessing Davis will be on LaFell

The Pats have been a beatable team away from Gillette for years. At home, they're damn near unbeatable.  If the Pats have home field in the playoffs, they will run the table.  Colts are a better team at home where they can play faster on that carpet.  

The Pats don't have to put any one guy on Hilton all game long. But if they have Browner on Hilton at any point, with no obvious help over the top, the Colts are going to try to exploit that matchup. Even if it's just a handful of coverage snaps, that's enough to get a big play down the field. 

I have a lot of respect for Revis, so I feel funny saying it, but I don't think he can cover Hilton one on one, either. And it's not because Hilton is the greatest of all time or anything like that, but it's just not a good matchup for Revis because of Hilton's speed, and how we play him off the line. 

Oh they definitely should (the bold part in the first paragraph). If they get TY out wide on Browner with no help, then they'd be crazy to not take a couple of shots with that. Browner's not fast or agile enough to keep up with Hilton if he lets him get off the line. 

Revis, I don't know... he's not the fastest guy with a stopwatch but his game speed is unreal. He anticipates routes so well. If they were playing matchups, I'd feel better with Revis on Hilton and Browner on Reggie. But I don't think they'll do that at all. I think they'll mix it up a lot.