Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep and Big Games....

NewColtsFan

In his short stint as an offensive coordinator (including 2 years at Stanford)  Pep has sometimes (but not always)  shown his preference to hide a new play for a big game.

Think back to the Denver Sunday night game last year (Peyton's Homecoming)....   The Colts had the ball inside the Broncos 15...   DHB was split left and came in motion toward the Indy backfield.   But, on the snap DHB did a 180 reverse and sprinted toward the near sidelines and Luck lofted him an easy pass and there wasn't a Bronco in the same zip code.   One of the easier touchdowns we got all season.

The Colts hadn't run that play up to that moment,  and we didn't run it again the rest of the season.

So,  I won't be surprised if Pep does something like that again Sunday night vs. New England.

I'll be looking for a new formation,   and barring that,  an unexpected variation off of a play we've run a thousand times.

I'm not guaranteeing this.    But I won't be surprised if Pep does this.   New England strikes me as a big enough and important enough game for Pep to cook-up something special.

This is a good point. Another example is the read option against the Chiefs. Perfect play call at a huge spot in the game.

I think the potential for a new wrinkle is there in the Pats game, but a lot of it will depend on the game situation. If we start strong and establish control right away, he'll probably hold on to it until a later time.

Don't need any tricks, need to commit to that run game. Was truly disgusted how much we threw in the Giants game. Most hit QB in the NFL and Pep continued to dial up passes and Ayers continued to pick apart Lance Louis

Every running play ran in the NYG game was a positive gain. Maybe not every run, but majority were I'm sure.

You do not get into an Air it Out match with elite QB's.

Need to milk that clock and help shorten the game for the defense

Don't need any tricks, need to commit to that run game. Was truly disgusted how much we threw in the Giants game. Most hit QB in the NFL and Pep continued to dial up passes and Ayers continued to pick apart Lance Louis

Every running play ran in the NYG game was a positive gain. Maybe not every run, but majority were I'm sure.

So you think the mentioned calls were trick plays? Somehow I don't think they were. Calling a play when it catches the defense off guard is being smart not being tricky.

I agree that the colts need to commit to the run game. but there's no way to know if that's more on pep or if its on Luck...unless you're still holding on to your little conspiracy theory that luck is not allowed to audible.

Really you were disgusted? Truly? Get over yourself dude. The Colts won and Luck didn't hurt. The shortening the game didn't work against the Eagles. The offense needs to score whenever they get the ball and the defense needs to hold the Patriots to field goals or punts.

Really you were disgusted? Truly? Get over yourself dude. The Colts won and Luck didn't hurt. The shortening the game didn't work against the Eagles. The offense needs to score whenever they get the ball and the defense needs to hold the Patriots to field goals or punts.

So because he didn't get hurt, it's okay that Ayers was on Luck like white on rice most of the night?

Mmm, okay. So long as he doesn't get hurt, it's cool for him to be the most hit QB?

Makes sense

So because he didn't get hurt, it's okay that Ayers was on Luck like white on rice most of the night?

Mmm, okay. So long as he doesn't get hurt, it's cool for him to be the most hit QB?

Makes sense

It was what it was and yeah he didn't get hurt and the team won. I don't like him getting hit either, but it happened and he's still alive to tell the tale. I never said "It's cool that Luck is the most hit QB in the NFL" so stop trying to put words in my mouth.

You being "truly disgusted" is ridiculous and over-dramatic. You also neglected the part about the controlling the clock biting the team in the butt against the Eagles. It sounds good on paper and works to support your own agenda in this case, but it's not the gospel for beating the Patriots.

I see it didn't take long for your views to regress after you much self promoted "apology". Somewhat hypocritical as you accused a poster of being a negative Nancy when they posted a topic concerned at the number of QB hits. Yet here you are using words such as "disgusted", not hyperbolic at all.

Since when has Eli been elite anyway? By your theory I would say teams should be doing that to us to limit Luck seeing the field. Jeez people complain we run too much, now that we pass too much. It's obvious that a certain section wont be happy till Pep is gone, no tater the actual results of the field.

It was what it was and yeah he didn't get hurt and the team won. I don't like him getting hit either, but it happened and he's still alive to tell the tale. I never said "It's cool that Luck is the most hit QB in the NFL" so stop trying to put words in my mouth.

You being "truly disgusted" is ridiculous and over-dramatic. You also neglected the part about the controlling the clock biting the team in the butt against the Eagles. It sounds good on paper and works to support your own agenda in this case, but it's not the gospel for beating the Patriots.

Poor play calling lost the Eagles game. Threw when we should've ran, ran when we should've thrown.

And you do beat Brady by shortening the game. Be foolish to get into a shootout with Brady the way they're playing as of late

Poor play calling lost the Eagles game. Threw when we should've ran, ran when we should've thrown.

And you do beat Brady by shortening the game. Be foolish to get into a shootout with Brady the way they're playing as of late

Poor execution lost the eagles game

It was not the play calling. It was a lack of execution. Besides it's old news. Why even bring it up at this point of the season?

Play calling did not lose the Eagles game. We had the perfect game called. The loss had a huge part on poor decision making by our QB and bad calls by referees. We had one stretch of 3 conservative calls late but in context, direct correlation to what our QB had been doing beforehand.

Also on the fact of Luck being hit, has a ton to do with our QB. Luck audibles often to passes and never slides protections, that is him wanting to take the risk. Also he REFUSES to take a sack which yes makes him great but also puts him in harms way. I've already come to grips that Luck is the type of QB who will take a lot of hits because of his faults, but also make a lot of plays because of said faults. Very Favre like imo.

Our offense is best when we throw a lot. How could that make you disgusted? Remember last year when we tried running too much and got blown out 3 or 4 times? Now that made me disgusted. Having the ball in Andrews hands as much as possible is for the best of this team.

Our offense is best when we throw a lot. How could that make you disgusted? Remember last year when we tried running too much and got blown out 3 or 4 times? Now that made me disgusted. Having the ball in Andrews hands as much as possible is for the best of this team.

I'm not saying completely abandoned the pass game, have balance

Screens, Draws & handoffs will help reduce Luck being hit. Ayers was eating Louis alive. Every QB will be hit, but if you can help reduce that.... Why wouldn't you?

We looked like Denver on Monday night we were in the shotgun so much. You have 3 capable RB's, let them help out is all I'm saying

Makes sense

Most of you a year ago were whining that luck wasn't throwing enough and our o line was even worse....

Now that you mention it I have noticed that.  Pep tends to try something a little different from the norm in the big games.

Denver this year, I believe our opening snap was a Flea Flicker.  Obviously that's not something that's never been seen before but it's a trick play and an aggressive call.