Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9 games in, how would you grade this colts team?

RockThatBlue

Coaching B+

While Manusky has been masterful and Pep has done a very good job the Colts coaches still leave you scratching your head at times. That's the only reason they didn't get an A

Offense B+

They can score on everyone. They let Luck get hit too much and while the ground game is serviceable I don't think it scares anyone and I don't know if I would trust them to run out the clock. They also turn the ball over too much.

Defense B+

While this has been a very good defense I think it's a bit of smoke and mirrors at times. The pass rush is not there without a blitz. They struggle to cover tightends. The corners are as good as unit you are going to find in the league and while the safety play has been better than I think most of us would have expected going into the season it's still lacking at times. Also whIle you can't weight the steelers game and the first half of the Denver game too much you can't ignore them either.

Special Teams A

If they had any kind of return game this would be an A+ Other than that it's hard to find something to complain about. The kicker hasn't missed. The punter is great at punts and they rarely have big returns. Kickoffs are are rarely returned and when they are it's not for much. Add in the fact the Colts are 3 for 3 on onside kicks you get an A from me. Far cry from years ago when you held your breath on any kind of special teams play.

Overall B+

6-3 and two game up on the division has the Colts on pace to be division Champs. They gave away the Eagles game away or it could be 7-2. Thst game might comeback to haunt them in terms of playoff seeding. Still if they beat New England they are in the drivers seat for a first round bye.

NFL Center Rankings and Grades after 9 weeks (From Pro Football Focus)

# Name Team Snaps Overall Pass Screen Run

1 Nick Mangold NYJ 651 15.8 5.9 0.0 11.0

2Brian De La Puente CHI 320 8.2 1.4 -0.5 6.8

3 Jason Kelce PHI 270 7.3 1.3 -0.5 7.2

4 Corey Linsley GB 510 6.9 -2.1 1.0 7.2

4 Alex Mack CLV 300 6.9 1.4 0.0 5.1

6 Max Unger SEA 260 6.8 -0.4 0.0 7.8

7 Maurkice Pouncey PIT 647 6.5 3.2 0.0 4.4

8 A.Q. Shipley IND 319 5.2 2.2 0.5 3.1

9Kory Lichtensteiger WAS 618 5.0 2.7 0.5 0.9

10 Ryan Kalil CAR 586 4.9 -2.4 0.5 5.9

11 Daniel Kilgore SF 463 4.6 -1.2 0.0 5.1

12 Rodney Hudson KC 538 4.0 2.8 1.0 -0.6

13Stefen Wisniewski OAK 505 3.4 0.8 1.0 1.8

14 Samson Satele MIA 558 1.3 -0.7 0.0 3.2

15 John Sullivan MIN 574 0.5 -0.1 0.5 1.3

16 Tim Lelito NO 283 0.3 -2.5 0.5 2.9

17 Chris Myers HST 600 0.2 -7.0 -0.5 7.8

18 Roberto Garza CHI 229 -0.3 -4.4 2.0 1.8

19Travis Frederick DAL 625 -0.6 -3.7 0.0 3.2

20 Joe Hawley ATL 249 -1.2 2.4 -0.5 -2.5

21 Dan Connolly NE 218 -1.6 -3.3 0.0 1.4

22 Luke Bowanko JAX 481 -1.7 -2.0 0.5 1.1

23Steve Schilling SEA 205 -2.2 -0.7 0.5 -1.3

24Jonathan Goodwin NO 314 -4.2 -7.7 0.0 3.1

25 Dominic Raiola DET 563 -4.3 -1.1 0.5 -2.5

26 Jeremy Zuttah BLT 619 -4.6 -5.8 -1.0 3.3

27 Peter Konz ATL 186 -4.7 -0.2 1.0 -4.7

28 David Molk PHI 349 -5.6 -8.2 0.0 3.1

29 Eric Wood BUF 532 -6.1 -2.1 0.5 -5.3

30 J.D. Walton NYG 563 -6.5 -2.7 0.5 -5.1

31Evan Dietrich-Smith TB 510 -6.6 -1.7 -0.5 -2.2

32 Manuel Ramirez DEN 575 -7.1 -1.3 0.0 -5.6

33Jonotthan Harrison IND 396 -7.2 -5.7 0.0 -0.5

34 Lyle Sendlein ARZ 565 -8.0 -2.6 -0.5 -5.7

35 Brian Schwenke TEN 498 -8.9 -8.0 -0.5 1.3

36 Bryan Stork NE 325 -10.1 -2.5 -0.5 -4.5

37 Rich Ohrnberger SD 418 -11.0 -8.5 -0.5 -2.6

38 Russell Bodine CIN 606 -11.8 -6.3 1.0 -7.4

39 Nick McDonald CLV 204 -13.8 -4.2 0.5 -9.4

40 Scott Wells SL 505 -14.5 -10.9 -0.5 -3.8

to show how bad these rankings are..

DeLa Puente has played sparingly for the Bears..and was yanked when the starter Roberto Garza came back to health.

Linemen stats are VERY subjective....you see what you want to see

Offense B

Some slow starts, always seems that when our defense makes great plays our offense does not capabilitilize on them. Missed some opportunities but has played well overall

Defense C

Had some great games, had some completely awful and embarassing games as well! Let's hope for more good play all around.

Special Teams A-

Best special teams unit overall in my opinion and have played like it as well!!!! Griff Whalen seems to be the problem (if there is one). Maybe try a new returner... But great so far this year.

Offense:  A  Despite having the best offense in the league my criticism is about turnovers (especially in our losses) and the running game.  Not going to be too picky but if we want to go far in the playoffs our big men up front need to be consistent and not allow our backs to be hit in the backfield.  I must admit they're improving game by game!

Defense:  B  It seems how great they play, there is always some point in the game where they let teams pick them apart and score quickly (in bunches).  I don't care if it's garbage time or if the game is wrapped up.  There is no such thing as the game being over until the clocks hit triple 0's.  As the season continues this aspect will be even more critical than now.  We CANNOT "shoot ourselves in the foot" and expect to win football games against good teams!  Other than that, I have no other complaints, but I had to drop their grade because even at their skill level the inconsistency has cost them 3 games.  Hard to imagine them being undefeated still but it was possible (unlikely but possible). 

Special Teams: A  Nothing to really comment on because they have been near perfect.  No missed fg's, Patty Mc has been great as usual, and no kr/pr for huge gains or TD's. 

Offense gets an B+, and can still use some improvement on the o-line... and run game both yardagewise/fumbling.  
Defense gets a C because the pass defense is still iffy mostly due the play at the safety spots. Davis is the star.
Special teams gets a big A+. because Adam Vinatieri still has not missed a field goal, and Pat McAfee being the best punter in the game. 

Offense - B+. Andrew is constantly under pressure and the backs have been good, but not great. Solid attack though.

Defense - B-. The secondary play has been very decent (other than Vontae), but otherwise the defense has been pretty good, especially without Rob.

Special teams - A-. Best kicker in the league. Best punter in the league. Top 5 gunners in the league. Solid return guy. Someone said it was the best special teams in the modern era and they are exactly right, but there is always room to improve.

Coaching B+

While Manusky has been masterful and Pep has done a very good job the Colts coaches still leave you scratching your head at times. That's the only reason they didn't get an A

Offense B+

They can score on everyone. They let Luck get hit too much and while the ground game is serviceable I don't think it scares anyone and I don't know if I would trust them to run out the clock. They also turn the ball over too much.

Defense B+

While this has been a very good defense I think it's a bit of smoke and mirrors at times. The pass rush is not there without a blitz. They struggle to cover tightends. The corners are as good as unit you are going to find in the league and while the safety play has been better than I think most of us would have expected going into the season it's still lacking at times. Also whIle you can't weight the steelers game and the first half of the Denver game too much you can't ignore them either.

Special Teams A

If they had any kind of return game this would be an A+ Other than that it's hard to find something to complain about. The kicker hasn't missed. The punter is great at punts and they rarely have big returns. Kickoffs are are rarely returned and when they are it's not for much. Add in the fact the Colts are 3 for 3 on onside kicks you get an A from me. Far cry from years ago when you held your breath on any kind of special teams play.

Overall B+

6-3 and two game up on the division has the Colts on pace to be division Champs. They gave away the Eagles game away or it could be 7-2. Thst game might comeback to haunt them in terms of playoff seeding. Still if they beat New England they are in the drivers seat for a first round bye.

the coaches are head-scratchers at times.  if our heads are itching during the new england game, it's a loss.

B+ O -The offensive line is much better this year, but still struggles to protect Luck plus we still have issues run blocking.

B-  D - The deffense is much better at the line and the back end has held up better this year with Toler healthy, but depth at CB is a huge issue and we all know the issues with the pass rush. I gave them a B- but I could have givin them a C+ but I thought that wouldn't have been fair because most of this is based off the Steelers game, before that game I would have givin them an A+

A-  ST- Only reason I didn't give this unit an A+ is because we have no true returner and I feel that we leave yards on the field with Whalen returning kicks, plus I have seen to many time this season where Whalen comes out of the end zone when he should have just taken a knee.