Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to stop the Pats?

3nk1du

I know you keep going back to that...

Listening to you guys, I'm baffled as to how the Colts aren't undefeated. No one in the league can cover Hilton, except maybe Vontae Davis right?  ;)

Butler... one of the best nickel corners in the league?

How did you guys ever lose 3 games???

I wonder the same thing about the pats. You guys are the first undefeated team in nfl history with 2 losses.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't really base our defense off of one game (Pittsburgh). pretty much all year, the defense has played better then what we have been use to in awhile. plus Pittsburgh also had the luxury of not having to face Vontae Davis which helped their offense. honestly i felt we needed to make a trade for a corner,  nothing extreme but for depth purposes for that very reason.

That being said, the only way to beat the Patriots is to limit turnovers, control the clock, and get points on ever possession. have to keep the score close and keep the fans in the game. luckily the game is at home. our defense is 9th against the run, but 26th against the pass. and what is bad is that in our 3 losses the opposing TE's have a combined 302 yards receiving and 4 TD's against our defense. Doesn't bold well for us when we have to face one of the better TE's in the NFL in Gronkowski.  

I wonder the same thing about the pats. You guys are the first undefeated team in nfl history with 2 losses.

Hardly! They were all washed up about 6 weeks ago. Trent Dilfer told me. 

I'm hearing that New England's game plan is to somehow trick the Colts into having Vontae Davis cover TY Hilton. Although there's a 2.38945% chance that the collision of pure athletic talent will open up a rip in the space-time continuum, ending all life as we know it, I think it's worth it. 

Pats don't stand a chance. 48-3, Indy.  ;)

So you were fine with the punt on fourth one down several scores with 10 minutes to go?

Perhaps we watched two different games but the Chiefs mauled you with Smith throwing 4 TDs and almost 400 yards with no picks. It is one thing to be overmatched or beat but your guys were not even in the picture in the pass game.

Kubiak didn't just leave the game. He collapsed on the sideline and was rushed to the hospital. Never seen anything like that in my life in an NFL game. You could hear all the sound literally get sucked out of Reliant stadium after that. I would think that would have shook up his team a bit prior to the second half.

I don't think bad games insinuate bad coaching as the Colts have lost plenty of games the last three seasons but the ones I listed along with the Pitt game this year stand out as games where the team did not look ready to play either because of game plan or just motivation or perhaps both.

I'm hearing that New England's game plan is to somehow trick the Colts into having Vontae Davis cover TY Hilton. Although there's a 2.38945% chance that the collision of pure athletic talent will open up a rip in the space-time continuum, ending all life as we know it, I think it's worth it. 

All the proof I need to see that Pat fans are scared about this game.  I'm guessing it's because they know that since the Chiefs game they haven't really played a team with a strong offense except for Denver.  Since that Chiefs game they have given up 17 points to the Bengals (the same team the Colts D held to 0 points), 22 to the Bills, 25 to the Jets, their highest point total of the season (yes you read that correctly, the much "vaunted" Pats D made Geno Smith look like an NFL caliber QB) and 21 points to the Bears.

Yes they played well against Denver BB is always in Manning's head.  I can tell from these posts that Pat fans are a little nervous about facing a good to great Qb and a good running game.

They will post denying it.  They will say things like they expect it to be a good game but they think this or that will be too much for the Colts, etc.  But these two posts show their true feelings.

:lol:  You Patriot fans are always really great at being narcissistic.

a good question will be, "How will the Pats stop the Colts?"

the key would be to blitz relentlessly like Pitt and the Giants did......

however, the problem with that is the Colts still put up 34 pts against Pitt against a relentless blitz and 40 against the Giants..on the road too.

being at home will be a nice benefit to the Colts this time.

This right here pretty much sums up the amount of time you spend watching Colts games or the amount of time spent reading anything Colts related. Adam is great and all but if he were not a former Patriot, you would have no clue who our kicker is. Our real weapon on special teams is Pat McAfee. :yes: We are 3 for 3 for onside kicks and top percentage of punts dropped within the 20. Hell, if you search NFL Onside Kicks on google, it's all Colts related. Not saying that you will see anything out of the ordinary when we play but just spreading some knowledge that you probably don't know.

I knew your kickers were good. I was more talking about returns.

Your quantum mechanic analysis is spot on However....Brady would throw a pass into the worm hole that would reverse its effects while simultaneously ending world hunger by feeding touchdown passes to the hungry. He's that good.

I have been saying this for quite some time perhaps you only noticed it prior to the Broncos game. Our team is not perfect. I have never been afraid of admitting that although I have been quite surprised by how well we have played this year especially on defense. I do have questions about our coaching but nothing that I am overly concerned about. Pagano is a new HC and Pep a new OC so there will be issues from time to time ... I am not sure why everyone expects so much so soon to be honest. They want Luck to be perfect, the coaches perfect, the game plans perfect. It is hard to win in the NFL. I am looking forward to the Pats game as I think it will be a great litmus test for us to see where we stand against the best team in the AFC and our number one nemesis. If we do win this game, I think the confidence we will gain will be important for the rest of the season and into the post-season.

No, you were banging on people for suggesting the colts weren't as good as the broncos. You were up in arms calling out mine and others fandom because of it. Should i call you a Brady fan now since you think the pats are better than the colts? I mean, you were adamant that i was a peyton fan first and foremost because i said the broncos were the better team

No, you were banging on people for suggesting the colts weren't as good as the broncos. You were up in arms calling out mine and others fandom because of it. Should i call you a Brady fan now since you think the pats are better than the colts? I mean, you were adamant that i was a peyton fan first and foremost because i said the broncos were the better team

Oh those threads. lol. You mean where you and Bond could not stop falling all over the Broncos?

All the proof I need to see that Pat fans are scared about this game.  I'm guessing it's because they know that since the Chiefs game they haven't really played a team with a strong offense except for Denver.  Since that Chiefs game they have given up 17 points to the Bengals (the same team the Colts D held to 0 points), 22 to the Bills, 25 to the Jets, their highest point total of the season (yes you read that correctly, the much "vaunted" Pats D made Geno Smith look like an NFL caliber QB) and 21 points to the Bears.

Yes they played well against Denver BB is always in Manning's head.  I can tell from these posts that Pat fans are a little nervous about facing a good to great Qb and a good running game.

They will post denying it.  They will say things like they expect it to be a good game but they think this or that will be too much for the Colts, etc.  But these two posts show their true feelings.

Didn't get it. 

(But CD, we go back... you know I'm nervous about almost every game. And I know better than to discount the Colts.) 

:lol:  You Patriot fans are always really great at being narcissistic.

REALLY didn't get it. Unless you're perpetuating it, but I don't think... eh, I don't know. 

Your quantum mechanic analysis is spot on However....Brady would throw a pass into the worm hole that would reverse its effects while simultaneously ending world hunger by feeding touchdown passes to the hungry. He's that good.

You got it. 

What's up, guys and gals?

:thmup:

So a lot of Patriot fans over at Patfans are worried about this game and I'm apparently crazy because I'm not - not anymore than any game.

To be fair, though, I have only seen 3 Colt games this year, and 2 of them were your losses in the early season, not that I put a lock of stock in the first 4 or 5 weeks of an NFL season.

My confidence comes basically from two things:

1. I just don't know how you're going to stop Gronk... I feel like any season he can remain healthy is going to be another Lombardi for Tom.

2. As much as I actually like Luck (and I do, that isn't blowing smoke), he just hasn't put his big boy pants on against the Patriots yet. 4 interceptions in both two games for a total of 8, and that was with rather suspect defenses.

This year with McCourty, Browner and Revis, and a whole lot of depth, the Patriots are boasting the most elite secondary in the NFL, and Andrew Luck is going to have to play on a level he's never shown Belichick before to get it done.

I just don't see it happening for Indianapolis, but I'm in a very small minority apparently with Patriot fans. As someone who hasn't seen enough Colt games this year to really have a good grasp on your team, I was hoping you could tell me what my fellow Pats fans are so worried about.

Thanks in advance!

You should be confident that the Patriots can beat the Colts because they're 7-2, and playing really good football.  As I'm not worried about the Patriots coming to Lucas Oil Stadium on SNF and beating the Colts.  You have 2 good points.  It will be very difficult if not impossible to stop Gronk.  He will get some catches and maybe a TD or 2, but Brady and Gronk isn't going to win the game by themselves.  When I look at the matchup I think the Colts have the better offense, and perhaps even the better defense.  I'm aware that the Patriots secondary is alot better but our CB's are as good as any in the league, our Safties have played very well besides the Steelers game, and during a primetime game @home you can bet energy will be flowing and our pass rush will be fired up.  I think we will cause more pressure on Brady than Patriots will do to Luck.

I agree Luck hasn't put on his big boy pants against the Patriots yet.  So it's about due, huh?  Don't think for a second Luck can't throw for another 300+ yd and  multiple TD game against the Patriots.  He has done it to about every team this year.  Don't hold Luck accountable for the playoff game last season.  He had a terrible game and still even put up big numbers.  TY is the only WR playing from that game, that will be in this matchup coming up.  He had a solid evening as well.  Now our WR tandem is the best in the league, and we have D.A. back, who is having himself a monsterous year. 

The Colts have the best offense in the league, and their defense is revamped also.  We can actually stop the run something that wasn't a strong point for years and the 3rd down efficiency is stellar on defense.  We hit hard and CB's are very good at intercepting passes.

I look for it to be a great game, and wont be surprised whoever wins, but I think the Colts will pull it out 37-33.

I think the Pats would be fine giving up to Hilton what he had last year. Maybe a few less yards. He was not even a factor until the second half. And like I said, 6 targets, a couple of big catches but no TDs. I don't think they expect to shut him out but limit him.

Denver was not prepared to play. That is on the coaching. They looked almost bad as they did in the SB with no safety this time. That was about it.

I am not sure you can discuss Luck vs the Pats without talking about TOs. He has had 7 the last two games and that was against a Pats defense that is not nearly as good this year's version especially the secondary. He has been turning it over more this year than last year so it is hard to see this progression from him. Perhaps it will come but it is not there yet. If you go back to the last two playoff games last year and the first half of this season, he has 16 INTs. That is a ton.

Your defense rankings are not good. You are susceptible over the middle which is the Pats strength. You don't have anyone that can match up Gronk one on one, no team does. So yeah, lots of optimism on both sides.

But playing in Indy won't be easy. I think it is tight early with the Pats pulling away in the second half.

The ONLY way the Pats pull away is if they control the T.O.P. and have long scoring drives, while playing great defense.  If it's a shootout, Andrew Luck isn't the guy any QB wants to be going against.

The ONLY way the Pats pull away is if they control the T.O.P. and have long scoring drives, while playing great defense.  If it's a shootout, Andrew Luck isn't the guy any QB wants to be going against.

So pretty much what we did to Denver except we had many short scoring drives. Gotcha.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 7, 2014 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, November 7, 2014 - personal argument

I loathe the Pats but also respect the heck out of them. A win this week will be huge for us this season. They have always been our thorn.

i think any fan that is being honest respects the pats I was just pointing out your hypocrisy. Carry on

i think any fan that is being honest respects the pats I was just pointing out your hypocrisy. Carry on

Do you like to hold grudges? Was the apology not good enough? Have you been holding this in the whole time? Not sure what has you in such a tizzy but looking objectively at our team is something every fan should do. We have our weaknesses and yet the best O in the league and a D that is playing above what we all thought when Mathis went down. We can compete with the Pats and possibly win but it will take a near perfect game from everyone one including our coaches. If you think that makes me a fan of the Patriots or too hard on the Colts than so be it.

First, the Colts need to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs. Brady loves the quick play action and throws a lot down the middle. Tip some Brady passes at the line of scrimmage to get INTs or get off the field on critical 3rd downs (Colts with Dungy and Montae Raegor did it in 2006 at Foxboro for 4 INTs vs Brady I think, Ravens did it in 2012 AFCCG, Giants w/ JPP did it in 2011 SB etc.).

Brady will not break contain nearly as much as Big Ben and the Pats wide outs do not have the same speed in bunch formations that the Steelers have. So, any extrapolation of Steelers game will be wishful thinking if people think Brady will roll over the Colts. Big Ben did most of his damage on 1st and 2nd downs and Colts need to force enough 3rd downs which will play to their strength at home.

Brady's record against JDR defenses is terrific, not the same vs Ravens' style defenses and Pagano will have a good gameplan based on his history. Giants in the SB dominated TOP vs Jim Kelly and the Bills in 1990 SB, Steelers a few years ago at Pitt dominated TOP vs the Pats in 2011 regular season game, Chargers dominated TOP vs Seahawks at home earlier this year. So, keeping Brady on the sidelines either using our running game or Luck's legs is a big key to this game.

In a nutshell: stop the run, don't give Brady a short field with turnovers, clog the passing lanes in the middle for Brady and tip a few passes for INTs and dominate TOP if possible. Easier said than done, but that has to be done in order to beat Brady and the Pats. It is OK to acknowledge how good the QB you are going against is and acknowledge playing keep away is your best chance to beat him.

First, the Colts need to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs. Brady loves the quick play action and throws a lot down the middle. Tip some Brady passes at the line of scrimmage to get INTs or get off the field on critical 3rd downs (Colts with Dungy and Montae Raegor did it in 2006 at Foxboro, Ravens did it in 2012 AFCCG, Giants w/ JPP did it in 2011 SB etc.).

Brady will not break contain nearly as much as Big Ben and the Pats wide outs do not have the same speed in bunch formations that the Steelers have. So, any extrapolation of Steelers game will be wishful thinking if people think Brady will roll over the Colts. Big Ben did most of his damage on 1st and 2nd downs and Colts need to force enough 3rd downs which will play to their strength at home.

Brady's record against JDR defenses is terrific, not the same vs Ravens' style defenses and Pagano will have a good gameplan based on his history. Giants in the SB dominated TOP vs Jim Kelly and the Bills in 1990 SB, Steelers a few years ago at Pitt dominated TOP vs the Pats in 2011 regular season game, Chargers dominated TOP vs Seahawks at home earlier this year. So, keeping Brady on the sidelines either using our running game or Luck's legs is a big key to this game.

In a nutshell: stop the run, don't give Brady a short field with turnovers, clog the passing lanes in the middle for Brady and tip a few passes for INTs and dominate TOP if possible. Easier said than done, but that has to be done in order to beat Brady and the Pats. It is OK to acknowledge how good the QB you are going against is and acknowledge playing keep away is your best chance to beat him.

Great breakdown and objectivity. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 7, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, November 7, 2014 - quoting removed post

lol. Where is Shane? He has been conspicuously absent this week... didn't want to take his lumps I guess after his prediction that the Broncos would win easily. :)

I gave him some advice to stay away from certain topics and posters.

I am glad to see he took my advice, and isn't taking this bait.

a good question will be, "How will the Pats stop the Colts?"

the key would be to blitz relentlessly like Pitt and the Giants did......

however, the problem with that is the Colts still put up 34 pts against Pitt against a relentless blitz and 40 against the Giants..on the road too.

being at home will be a nice benefit to the Colts this time.

If they want to be blitz relentlessly look for RW catching alot of underneath short yard balls and when we our great RB's & TE's pick it up TY will be in the endzone doing his famous T. Y. Touchdown dance, because you can't blitz like that w/o being burnt a few times.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 7, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, November 7, 2014 - quoting removed post

I gave him some advice to stay away from certain topics and posters.

I am glad to see he took my advice, and isn't taking this bait.

Have not even seen his name at the bottom though. He is MIA.

If they want to be blitz relentlessly look for RW catching alot of underneath short yard balls and when we our great RB's & TE's pick it up TY will be in the endzone doing his famous T. Y. Touchdown dance, because you can't blitz like that w/o being burnt a few times.

Pats are not a heavy blitz team. They are more coverage and scheme and showing one looking pre-snap and then changing post-snap. With Manning, they did some delayed blitzes with their LBs up the middle that were very effective.

So pretty much what we did to Denver except we had many short scoring drives. Gotcha.

You make it sound so easy!!  That's all there is to it :) Except Colts lead the league in T.O.P. and have the best punter in the game to help with field positioning.  The only way the Pats would have many short scoring drives is if the Colts turned the ball over alot.  Which is possible, because it's happened alot this season, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Do you like to hold grudges? Was the apology not good enough? Have you been holding this in the whole time? Not sure what has you in such a tizzy but looking objectively at our team is something every fan should do. We have our weaknesses and yet the best O in the league and a D that is playing above what we all thought when Mathis went down. We can compete with the Pats and possibly win but it will take a near perfect game from everyone one including our coaches. If you think that makes me a fan of the Patriots or too hard on the Colts than so be it.

I don't recall an apology, not that i wanted one in the first place. I understand you don't like ferrying called out, but don't put yourself in a position to get called out if you can't take it

I don't recall an apology, not that i wanted one in the first place. I understand you don't like ferrying called out, but don't put yourself in a position to get called out if you can't take it

I did apologize but not surprised you don't remember given you are obviously still seething. 

So you are calling me out for saying I respect the Pats and think we have to play a great game to win? Ok.

I did apologize but not surprised you don't remember given you are obviously still seething.

So you are calling me out for saying I respect the Pats and think we have to play a great game to win? Ok.

No, calling you out for saying the same things about the pats that some of us said about the broncos that made you have a meltdown

No, calling you out for saying the same things about the pats that some of us said about the broncos that made you have a meltdown

Ok buddy. Whatever you say. I moved on long ago from those threads but if you want to live there go ahead.

I am looking forward to a great game next Sunday with hopefully a Colts victory over their biggest rival. Hope you enjoy the game as well.

So you were fine with the punt on fourth one down several scores with 10 minutes to go?

Perhaps we watched two different games but the Chiefs mauled you with Smith throwing 4 TDs and almost 400 yards with no picks. It is one thing to be overmatched or beat but your guys were not even in the picture in the pass game.

Kubiak didn't just leave the game. He collapsed on the sideline and was rushed to the hospital. Never seen anything like that in my life in an NFL game. You could hear all the sound literally get sucked out of Reliant stadium after that. I would think that would have shook up his team a bit prior to the second half.

I don't think bad games insinuate bad coaching as the Colts have lost plenty of games the last three seasons but the ones I listed along with the Pitt game this year stand out as games where the team did not look ready to play either because of game plan or just motivation or perhaps both.

SMH

I don't really care to go any further down the rabbit hole on this stuff, as it's mostly irrelevant minutia, and we could disagree about this stuff for days, literally.

I'll just say, like I said before, while Belichick is obviously a better and more experienced coach than Pagano, I don't think the difference between those two is going to be a significant factor in this game. I think, with some exceptions, football games are decided by the players on the field, not by the coaches. Especially when you're dealing with two pretty good teams.

SMH

I don't really care to go any further down the rabbit hole on this stuff, as it's mostly irrelevant minutia, and we could disagree about this stuff for days, literally.

I'll just say, like I said before, while Belichick is obviously a better and more experienced coach than Pagano, I don't think the difference between those two is going to be a significant factor in this game. I think, with some exceptions, football games are decided by the players on the field, not by the coaches. Especially when you're dealing with two pretty good teams.

Already tapping out? ;)

Come on now we still have 9 more days until the game. I must discuss. :)

Already tapping out? ;)

Come on now we still have 9 more days until the game. I must discuss. :)

We can discuss the game all we want. I just don't care to run behind you in this labyrinth of moving walls, where your point changes every time someone refutes a claim.