Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to stop the Pats?

3nk1du

Good point. Not really a meaningful question, given how dominant the Pats are at home. That's the biggest difference in this matchup, IMO, and it's why I'm not overly concerned with how good the Pats looked last week, nor am I that concerned with how soundly they beat us the last two years. 

I think this is the first road game since the massive energy infusion. So we don't know- yet

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. We generally stay on the General section. At least I do but given we are playing this Sunday, this section will have more game talk.

The "official" Patriots forum must suck or something to be hanging out on the Colts forum even when our teams are not playing.

The "official" Patriots forum must suck or something to be hanging out on the Colts forum even when our teams are not playing.

I am on Pats forums too but honestly I like the football talk here the best out of any forums out there. I have been on many and this one is the best. Mods do a great job too.

In this game, I really believe the Pats have a better chance to limit the Colts' passing game than the Colts limiting the Pats' passing game.  Again = Revis on Wayne,  Double team TY with a  safety (McCourty) over the top.  Browner on Hicks.  The Pats still have Dennard, Arrington, Jones and Chung in the secondary to do what they want with them.

So the Pats are only going to use a 3 man DL with no LBs?   :dunno:  :scratch:

I think this is the first road game since the massive energy infusion. So we don't know- yet

Three things:

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "massive energy infusion." If you mean since the Pats seemingly flipped the switch, well, no. You played the Bills four weeks ago, 37-22. I don't think the Bills are as tough of a matchup as the Colts.

2) That kind of makes one question the "massive energy infusion," if it's been mostly at home.

3) When I talk about the Patriots home dominance, I'm talking historically. The Pats haven't lost a home game since 2012 (Cards and Niners), and haven't lost a home game to an AFC team since the divisional game against the Jets in 2010, and no regular season home losses to an AFC team since 2008 (Steelers, Jets and Dolphins, all with Cassel at QB). You have to go all the back to 2006 for the last time the Pats lost a regular season home game to an AFC team, when they lost to the Jets, Colts and Broncos. The Pats have the best home field advantage, statistically speaking, probably in the league, and certainly in the AFC.

None of this is to suggest that the Pats are bad on the road. Only that they are really good at home.

Three things:

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "massive energy infusion." If you mean since the Pats seemingly flipped the switch, well, no. You played the Bills four weeks ago, 37-22. I don't think the Bills are as tough of a matchup as the Colts.

2) That kind of makes one question the "massive energy infusion," if it's been mostly at home.

3) When I talk about the Patriots home dominance, I'm talking historically. The Pats haven't lost a home game since 2012 (Cards and Niners), and haven't lost a home game to an AFC team since the divisional game against the Jets in 2010, and no regular season home losses to an AFC team since 2008 (Steelers, Jets and Dolphins, all with Cassel at QB). You have to go all the back to 2006 for the last time the Pats lost a regular season home game to an AFC team, when they lost to the Jets, Colts and Broncos. The Pats have the best home field advantage, statistically speaking, probably in the league, and certainly in the AFC.

None of this is to suggest that the Pats are bad on the road. Only that they are really good at home.

They are also 3-1 in Indy in the regular season since 2001 (the only loss was the 4th and 2 game) and Brady has a great dome record/stats in general.

No, but on some plays I think you will see a 3 man rush and drop LBs back like Collins and Mankovitz .  Mankovitz did get a INT against Peyton last week.  Collins is a pretty good pass coverage LB.

LOL

Who is Mankovitz? 

You might be out of your depth here...

They are also 3-1 in Indy in the regular season since 2001 (the only loss was the 4th and 2 game) and Brady has a great dome record/stats in general.

That's great. Doesn't change the fact that the Pats have a great homefield advantage.

And the only reason I'm pointing this out is because the Broncos game was in Gillette, and the previous two games vs this version of the Colts were in Gillette. So your question about "are the Colts better than the Broncos" is kind of off the mark, because this game isn't in Gillette. Same as the "Luck has throw 7 INTs in the previous two games" line of reasoning. 

I'm not selling the Pats short. Great team, great QB, great coach, good defense, etc. And they're playing really well right now. It's going to be a tough matchup. But it's probably going to be much different than last week's Pats/Broncos game (for several reasons, including the venue), and the previous two Colts/Patriots games.

We both know the history lesson between the Colts and Patriots.  It's a new team and new season for both, let's stick to facts that are relevant to the game this weekend!

That's great. Doesn't change the fact that the Pats have a great homefield advantage.

And the only reason I'm pointing this out is because the Broncos game was in Gillette, and the previous two games vs this version of the Colts were in Gillette. So your question about "are the Colts better than the Broncos" is kind of off the mark, because this game isn't in Gillette. Same as the "Luck has throw 7 INTs in the previous two games" line of reasoning. 

I'm not selling the Pats short. Great team, great QB, great coach, good defense, etc. And they're playing really well right now. It's going to be a tough matchup. But it's probably going to be much different than last week's Pats/Broncos game (for several reasons, including the venue), and the previous two Colts/Patriots games.

Meh. Indy has never been a tough venue for the Pats like the way South Florida is. And like I said Brady is great in domes as well. Even the AFCCG with him throwing to Caldwell and Gaffney came down to a GW drive at the end for the win.

I guess my point is, I don't see playing in Indy as the same as going to South Florida where the Pats have historically struggled.

And I also don't put that much stock into home field when the game is a blow out. Denver lost by 22 not 7 or 14. They were not even competitive. I would give the Pats a much better chance of going into Denver this year and winning just based on how the two teams match up regardless of venue.

That's true.  And both teams are a little different since the last time they played.

The Patriots actually have a secondary now and can cover and Gronk will be playing.  Before they had one of the worst secondary's in the NFL and Gronk was out.

Colts are a little more complete too as a team overall.

Colts fans troll Pats sites all the time. I don't mind. Rival fans give some spice.

Ive never been on another teams site, but better believe I will be creating a profile Monday just to get in some cheap shots lol.  It's terrible to act that way, but it's also not good to troll other teams site just to cause a disturbance, prior to a game (2 weeks at that, because some of you guys set up shop last Monday).  Does the Patriot forums have the 5 posts maximum for new members?  That way I can create it a few days in advance so I don't have to limit myself :)

Ive never been on another teams site, but better believe I will be creating a profile Monday just to get in some cheap shots lol.  It's terrible to act that way, but it's also not good to troll other teams site just to cause a disturbance, prior to a game (2 weeks at that, because some of you guys set up shop last Monday).  Does the Patriot forums have the 5 posts maximum for new members?  That way I can create it a few days in advance so I don't have to limit myself :)

Why do that? I don't come here to troll. I come here to discuss the game . And not just the Pats but all games which is why I am on the General section mostly unless the Pats are playing the Colts.

Meh. Indy has never been a tough venue for the Pats like the way South Florida is. And like I said Brady is great in domes as well. Even the AFCCG with him throwing to Caldwell and Gaffney came down to a GW drive at the end for the win.

I guess my point is, I don't see playing in Indy as the same as going to South Florida where the Pats have historically struggled.

And I also don't put that much stock into home field when the game is a blow out. Denver lost by 22 not 7 or 14. They were not even competitive. I would give the Pats a much better chance of going into Denver this year and winning just based on how the two teams match up regardless of venue.

Don't re-frame the argument. I never said the Pats are going to struggle in Indy. I said they don't have homefield advantage (like they did last week, and like they had in the first two matchups against Luck).

And you not putting stock into homefield because it's a blowout is your own personal deal. It doesn't make much sense, though. Most teams have a greater point differential at home than on the road, and that's always influenced by blowouts. It's even more pronounced with good teams, like the Patriots have been for a decade and a half.

Also, the swirling winds of Gillette directly influenced the Broncos strategy early in the game, as well as their missed FG and punting game. 

Why do that? I don't come here to troll. I come here to discuss the game . And not just the Pats but all games which is why I am on the General section mostly unless the Pats are playing the Colts.

You have been pretty respectful actually!  I've saw you on here alot too (before this past week).  I know you don't come here to troll, but there are a handful that has.  I thought I would return the favor...

You actually think I and other Pats fans on here are bad and verbally abusive?  WOW!  You Colts fans must be sensitive or not deal with real rowdy fans.   I think the Colts and their fans are lucky your division rivals are the Texans, Jags and Titans and not have to deal with our rivals and their fans (Jets, Giants, Ravens, Steelers.)   Pats have to deal with the whole "New York" element.  It's sort of like the Red Sox/Yankee rivalry with the fans.

And the Colts don't really have a true hated "rival" do they?  Pats fans dislike the Jets more than the Colts.

Don't re-frame the argument. I never said the Pats are going to struggle in Indy. I said they don't have homefield advantage (like they did last week, and like they had in the first two matchups against Luck).

And you not putting stock into homefield because it's a blowout is your own personal deal. It doesn't make much sense, though. Most teams have a greater point differential at home than on the road, and that's always influenced by blowouts. It's even more pronounced with good teams, like the Patriots have been for a decade and a half.

Also, the swirling winds of Gillette directly influenced the Broncos strategy early in the game, as well as their missed FG and punting game. 

Who is re-framing? Just responding to your points. If you don't believe the Pats will struggle in Indy than I don't know what your point is regarding Luck struggling the last two games he played the Pats. Unless you think he has not played well specifically because of Foxboro?

The home field thing gets over played I think. For sure it is an advantage but Vegas puts it at 3 points and Denver was the team that was favored last week even with the Pats great home field record so even Vegas felt the better team which was Denver should win on the road. So yeah with the Pats not only winning but dominating, I don't see venue as that big of a deal even if they have to go to Denver.

You actually think I and other Pats fans on here are bad and verbally abusive?  WOW!  You Colts fans must be sensitive or not deal with real rowdy fans.   I think the Colts and their fans are lucky your division rivals are the Texans, Jags and Titans and not have to deal with our rivals and their fans (Jets, Giants, Ravens, Steelers.)   Pats have to deal with the whole "New York" element.  It's sort of like the Red Sox/Yankee rivalry with the fans.

And the Colts don't really have a true hated "rival" do they?  Pats fans dislike the Jets more than the Colts.

What's with all these generalizations?

No, but on some plays I think you will see a 3 man rush and drop LBs back like Collins and Mankovitz .  Mankovitz did get a INT against Peyton last week.  Collins is a pretty good pass coverage LB.

sure, of course they will..the colts will do the same thing at times.  Point was, you said:

Again = Revis (1) on Wayne,  Double team (2, 3) TY with a  safety (McCourty) over the top.  Browner (4) on Hicks.  The Pats still have Dennard , Arrington, Jones and Chung (5, 6, 7 and 8) in the secondary to do what they want with them.

You accounted for 8 defenders when going through your little speech about how the Pats will shut down the Colt passing attack.  ;)

These type of stats that are thrown out there - I am not sure what they are supposed to mean.  To me they are completely meaningless.  How does the fact that Brady QB's the 2003 Pats to a win in the Hoosier Dome have any impact on this game in 2014?  Different teams, different circumstances - in other wors a pointless stat.

These type of stats that are thrown out there - I am not sure what they are supposed to mean.  To me they are completely meaningless.  How does the fact that Brady QB's the 2003 Pats to a win in the Hoosier Dome have any impact on this game in 2014?  Different teams, different circumstances - in other wors a pointless stat.

I agree but I was responding to another poster who was talking about the importance of venue.

Who is re-framing? Just responding to your points. 

You. There's a difference between "no homefield advantage" and "not good on the road." 

If you don't believe the Pats will struggle in Indy than I don't know what your point is regarding Luck struggling the last two games he played the Pats. Unless you think he has not played well specifically because of Foxboro ala Manning?

What's so hard to understand? The Patriots play better (win a greater percentage of their games, have a greater point differential, force more turnovers, allow fewer points, etc.) in Gillette than they do on the road. Pretty much every team is better at home than on the road, on both sides of the ball, especially good teams. 

Plenty of the discussion about this matchup has centered around Luck's turnovers in the first two games, and the way the Broncos matched up against the Pats last week. I'm saying that the Pats homefield advantage had a significant influence over the way those games went. And the Pats aren't at home in this game.

I think that's pretty straightforward.

The home field thing gets over played I think. For sure it is an advantage but Vegas puts it at 3 points and Denver was the team that was favored last week even with the Pats great home field record so even Vegas felt the better team which was Denver should win on the road. So yeah with the Pats not only winning but dominating, I don't see venue as that big of a deal even if they have to go to Denver.

Gambling odds are completely different from actual football matchups. Vegas surmises that most gamblers place a certain emphasis on who the home team is. That's why, generally speaking, the home team gets three points, but that's an average. I'd bet that the Patriots get more than three points for home games, especially later in the year. The Raiders probably don't get three points for home games. Odds are based on the amount of people betting on one team or the other, which is why odds move throughout the week. Vegas wants an even amount of people betting both sides. Denver was favored last week because Vegas expected more people to bet on the Broncos than on the Pats, not because they felt Denver was the better team.

I broke down how long it's been since the Patriots lost a home game to an AFC team. You can call it overblown if you want, but history supports the idea that the Pats play better at home. I'm not sure why you're trying to dismiss this. Most teams are better at home. Good teams can also win a good amount of games on the road, which the Pats do (otherwise how do they win 12 or 13 games every year?) But they have a huge advantage at home.

Three things:

Yes I was speaking just of the flip switch starting with the Bengals game where Brady got the fire in the belly and the OL was adjusted. All with home cooking save the Bills game away.

So my comment was this will be the 1st road game with the so called infusion. Will it continue or is it back to earth.

You. There's a difference between "no homefield advantage" and "not good on the road." 

What's so hard to understand? The Patriots play better (win a greater percentage of their games, have a greater point differential, force more turnovers, allow fewer points, etc.) in Gillette than they do on the road. Pretty much every team is better at home than on the road, on both sides of the ball, especially good teams. 

Plenty of the discussion about this matchup has centered around Luck's turnovers in the first two games, and the way the Broncos matched up against the Pats last week. I'm saying that the Pats homefield advantage had a significant influence over the way those games went. And the Pats aren't at home in this game.

Gambling odds are completely different from actual football matchups. Vegas surmises that most gamblers place a certain emphasis on who the home team is. That's why, generally speaking, the home team gets three points, but that's an average. I'd bet that the Patriots get more than three points for home games, especially later in the year. The Raiders probably don't get three points for home games. Odds are based on the amount of people betting on one team or the other, which is why odds move throughout the week. Vegas wants an even amount of people betting both sides. Denver was favored last week because Vegas expected more people to bet on the Broncos than on the Pats, not because they felt Denver was the better team.

I broke down how long it's been since the Patriots lost a home game to an AFC team. You can call it overblown if you want, but history supports the idea that the Pats play better at home. I'm not sure why you're trying to dismiss this. Most teams are better at home. Good teams can also win a good amount of games on the road, which the Pats do (otherwise how do they win 12 or 13 games every year?) But they have a huge advantage at home.

So you are saying Luck threw his 7 picks specifically because he played in Foxboro? Not because of the defensive schemes and play of the secondary? You have got to be kidding.

Football games are won by teams beating other teams not venues. Denver was out coached and out played. Venue had nothing to do with how they were dominated.

Yes I was speaking just of the flip switch starting with the Bengals game where Brady got the fire in the belly and the OL was adjusted. All with home cooking save the Bills game away.

So my comment was this will be the 1st road game with the so called infusion. Will it continue or is it back to earth.

They also won at Minn this year too.

So you are saying Luck threw his 7 picks specifically because he played in Foxboro? Not because of the defensive schemes and play of the secondary? You have got to be kidding.

Football games are won by teams beating other teams not venues. Denver was out coached and out played. Venue had nothing to do with how they were dominated.

For the love of God, this is not rocket science.  That is not close to what he was saying.  Try to keep up.

I don't expect the Patriots to suddenly go back to playing the substandard football they played in a couple games earlier this year, just because it's a road game. I still expect them to play well. 

But I don't expect the field to be left uncovered all night in wet, freezing conditions. I don't expect the temperature to affect the QB's grip on the football, or the leg power of our kicker. I don't expect the wind to affect whether the Patriots defer the opening kick, or how the Colts attack the Patriots defense in the first quarter. I don't expect the wind to affect our kicking game. I don't expect the crowd noise to help the road team.

I'm just saying, homefield advantage is a real thing. It even helps and hurts good teams.

I don't expect the Patriots to suddenly go back to playing the substandard football they played in a couple games earlier this year, just because it's a road game. I still expect them to play well. 

But I don't expect the field to be left uncovered all night in wet, freezing conditions. I don't expect the temperature to affect the QB's grip on the football, or the leg power of our kicker. I don't expect the wind to affect whether the Patriots defer the opening kick, or how the Colts attack the Patriots defense in the first quarter. I don't expect the wind to affect our kicking game. I don't expect the crowd noise to help the road team.

I'm just saying, homefield advantage is a real thing. It even helps and hurts good teams.

The majority of the Pats home wins have been played in normal weather conditions. The weather generally gets bad after T-giving and even then we can have a mild winter with warm temps and little snow.

Why not just read what I posted? Specifically:

I'm saying that the Pats homefield advantage had a significant influence over the way those games went. And the Pats aren't at home in this game.

The bolded is incredibly untrue.

Belichick deferred the opening possession so he could put the Broncos into the wind in the first and fourth quarters.

The Broncos clearly didn't want to throw into the wind in the first quarter, and instead tried to run on their first possessions. Once they were clearly unable to run, they started throwing the ball, but it was obvious that they didn't want to throw into the wind.

The swirling winds at Gillette clearly influenced McManus' missed FG.

The field was left uncovered overnight, and players lost their footing several times.

The cold weather likely had something to do with Colquitt dropping the snap on the Edelman punt return.

And of course, the home team has favorable crowd noise.

I'm sure I'm leaving some elements out, but it's strange to see someone suggest that homefield advantage had no impact on that game last week. And again, understand that I am NOT suggesting that the Patriots weren't/aren't good enough to beat either the Broncos or the Colts on the road.

The majority of the Pats home wins have been played in normal weather conditions. The weather generally gets bad after T-giving and even then we can have a mild winter with warm temps and little snow.

So?

Last week it snowed through the night and into the early afternoon, and the field was uncovered the entire time. There was significant wind. 

You're saying those conditions had no impact on the game against the Broncos, and I'm saying that's false.

Then why does the NFL almost exclusively schedule the SB in Domes or warm weather stadiums?

I don't think you're bad or verbally abusive, I just hate how dumb some Patriot fans can be.  Example:  Vontae Davis is nowhere near the best corner in the league.  Or giving a history lesson.  Or disputing other opinions that are very logical.  We play the Ravens and Steelers all the time also.  Jets usually are pretty bad so I'm guessing their fans sound ignorant if they're talking trash.  Giants are in the NFC but won both of their SB's against you, so yeah I'm sure they can get pretty bad.  Patriots are the Colts only true rival and they're not in the same divison, but it's not our fault who's in our division, it's just the Colts job to win.