Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to stop the Pats?

3nk1du

Why not just read what I posted? Specifically:

I think that's pretty straightforward.

The bolded is incredibly untrue.

Belichick deferred the opening possession so he could put the Broncos into the wind in the first and fourth quarters.

The Broncos clearly didn't want to throw into the wind in the first quarter, and instead tried to run on their first possessions. Once they were clearly unable to run, they started throwing the ball, but it was obvious that they didn't want to throw into the wind.

The swirling winds at Gillette clearly influenced McManus' missed FG.

The field was left uncovered overnight, and players lost their footing several times.

The cold weather likely had something to do with Colquitt dropping the snap on the Edelman punt return.

And of course, the home team has favorable crowd noise.

I'm sure I'm leaving some elements out, but it's strange to see someone suggest that homefield advantage had no impact on that game last week. And again, understand that I am NOT suggesting that the Patriots weren't/aren't good enough to beat either the Broncos or the Colts on the road.

The Broncos missed the FG in the second quarter with the wind. McManus missed from 41 and the wind was not swirling or gusting. Game time temp was 39 and there was no snow, rain. By the second half the wind had died down almost completely.

Manning threw for over 400 yards so not sure how you are blaming the weather for his performance. I didn't see any ducks from him. In fact, he was throwing lasers all game. He just could not convert third downs (3-11) of any fourth downs (0-4). His pick to Nink was a bad read caused by Nink fooling him when he dropped into coverage. And his second pick that Welker popped up like a volleyball was caused by fear knowing Devon was coming to lay the wood. Again, not weather related but related to their opponent.

Really last Sunday's game were pretty ideal conditions. 39 temp, some wind that died down at half, and no precipitation. And again, the Pats dominated because they out played and out coached Denver.

Honestly, I am surprised by your stance on this whole topic. Usually you defer to Xs and Os and don't succumb to the idea of anything outside of the teams effecting the game that much. While home field is certainly an advantage, how much is debatable, it does not decide which team plays better. Whoever wins on Sunday will have played the better game with venue playing little role. Only weak minded teams/players let a venue determine an outcome of a game.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So?

Last week it snowed through the night and into the early afternoon, and the field was uncovered the entire time. There was significant wind. 

You're saying those conditions had no impact on the game against the Broncos, and I'm saying that's false.

No the weather absolutely didn't. No one was slipping or falling from the field being uncovered. It was 39 with no snow or rain and the wind died down at half. Manning had over 400 yards. It had little effect on him. The NE D did however when it came to getting off the field and causing TOs.

I don't expect the Patriots to suddenly go back to playing the substandard football they played in a couple games earlier this year, just because it's a road game. I still expect them to play well. 

But I don't expect the field to be left uncovered all night in wet, freezing conditions. I don't expect the temperature to affect the QB's grip on the football, or the leg power of our kicker. I don't expect the wind to affect whether the Patriots defer the opening kick, or how the Colts attack the Patriots defense in the first quarter. I don't expect the wind to affect our kicking game. I don't expect the crowd noise to help the road team.

I'm just saying, homefield advantage is a real thing. It even helps and hurts good teams.

They left the field uncovered so it would evaporate. :rollseyes:

Actually I don't know why. Saw them clearing the snow before game time

The Broncos missed the FG in the second quarter with the wind. McManus missed from 41 and the wind was not swirling or gusting. Game time temp was 39 and there was no snow, rain. By the second half the wind had died down almost completely.

You know I don't just say stuff, right? I don't just make stuff up and then post it.

The wind was blowing to the right, as clearly evidenced by the flags on the goal posts, and McManus kick went right and hit high off the right upright. Yes, he had the wind. That doesn't mean the wind didn't influence the kick. It clearly did.

Manning threw for over 400 yards so not sure how you are blaming the weather for his performance. I didn't see any ducks from him. In fact, he was throwing lasers all game. He just could not convert third downs (3-11) of any fourth downs (0-4). His pick to Nink was a bad read caused by Nink fooling him when he dropped into coverage. And his second pick that Welker popped up like a volleyball was caused by fear knowing Devon was coming to lay the wood. Again, not weather related but related to their opponent.

I didn't blame the weather for his performance. I said the conditions influenced the game. Unless you think Belichick deferred and put the Broncos into the wind in the 1st quarter on a whim, I don't see how you can miss this. The Broncos love to throw the ball, yet they stubbornly ran, ran and ran early in the game. That had nothing to do with the wind?

Honestly, last Sunday's game were pretty ideal conditions. 39 temp, some wind that died down at half, and no precipitation. And again, the Pats dominated because they out played and out coached Denver.

Honestly, I am surprised by our stance on this whole topic. Usually you defer to Xs and Os and don't succumb to the idea of anything outside of the teams effecting the game that much. While home field is certainly an advantage, how much is debatable, it does not decide which team plays better. Whoever wins on Sunday will have played the better game with venue playing little role. Only weak minded teams/players let a venue determine an outcome of a game.

I never said homefield decides which team plays better or determines the outcome of a game. That's silly, and everyone who takes the time to actually read what I said, rather than trying to make a point, can clearly see that I didn't say that. I said homefield influences games, especially at Gillette. And it's not debateable.

No the weather absolutely didn't. No one was slipping or falling from the field being uncovered. It was 39 with no snow or rain and the wind died down at half. Manning had over 400 yards. It had little effect on him. The NE D did however when it came to getting off the field and causing TOs.

Again, I don't just make stuff up. The weather and the wind absolutely influenced the game.

They left the field uncovered so it would evaporate. :rollseyes:

Actually I don't know why. Saw them clearing the snow before game time

I don't know why they left it uncovered, either. I'm not blaming the Patriots for anything. But teams usually cover the field when precipitation or freezing temperatures are expected, and that's to promote better field conditions. It would stand to reason that if the field was uncovered, it would have an impact on the condition of the field.

sure, of course they will..the colts will do the same thing at times.  Point was, you said:

Again = Revis (1) on Wayne,  Double team (2, 3) TY with a  safety (McCourty) over the top.  Browner (4) on Hicks.  The Pats still have Dennard , Arrington, Jones and Chung (5, 6, 7 and 8) in the secondary to do what they want with them.

You accounted for 8 defenders when going through your little speech about how the Pats will shut down the Colt passing attack.   ;)

I think he meant Nicks!  As in Hakeem Nicks.  The Patriots would definitely shut down the Colts' aerial attack if they had 8 people in the secondary, but unfortunately we wouldn't be passing because Ahmad and Trent would have a career day with 3 people up front trying to tackle.  That means we could use 1 TE and double team everybody on their D-Line.  Were talking about 10+ yds a carry for our RB's.

I don't think Belichek is that dumb to play that way though!

Again, I don't just make stuff up. The weather and the wind absolutely influenced the game.

The conditions did not. Manning threw for over 400 yards. The kicker was with the wind and he hit the upright. The Broncos were manhandled in ever facet of the game. Home field had maybe a 5 percent effect on the game if that. The rest was all Pats in dominant fashion.

The conditions did not. Manning threw for over 400 yards. The kicker was with the wind and he hit the upright. The Broncos were manhandled in ever facet of the game. Home field had maybe a 5 percent effect on the game if that. The rest was all Pats in dominant fashion.

Do you think the wind can only influence a kick if the kick is directly into the wind?

I don't know why they left it uncovered, either. I'm not blaming the Patriots for anything. But teams usually cover the field when precipitation or freezing temperatures are expected, and that's to promote better field conditions. It would stand to reason that if the field was uncovered, it would have an impact on the condition of the field.

The field was in fine condition. No one was slipping or falling. Traction was good all game. And it did not snow all night as your other post stated. The snow did not begin until the morning and it stopped before the game began and the field was cleared.

Do you think the wind can only influence a kick if the kick is directly into the wind?

It helps the kicker generally if it is behind him as it propels the ball to go further. That is the main reason coaches take the wind to help the kicking game and the pass game. The wind was not swirling or gusting. It was about 18-20 miles and it died down at half.

:thmup:

The field was in fine condition. No one was slipping or falling. Traction was good all game. And it did not snow all night as your other post stated. The snow did not begin until the morning and it stopped before the game began and the field was cleared.

No one slipped or fell? That's not true. 

NFLN said it snowed overnight last week. Perhaps that's not true. It's not really relevant, though. The field was subjected to heavy precipitation, is the point, and that's something that teams usually try to prevent, specifically because of how it affects field conditions. But you'd have us believe that, despite a blanket of snow on the field just hours before kickoff, that the field was tip-top, no one was affected by it, etc. 

It's ridiculous.

It helps the kicker generally if it is behind him as it propels the ball to go further. That is the main reason coaches take the wind to help the kicking game and the pass game. The wind was not swirling or gusting. It was about 18-20 miles and it died down at half.

Good heavens...

The wind was clearly blowing to the right, unless the flags on the goal posts were lying. The ball hit the right upright. Only someone ignoring basic physics can argue that the wind didn't influence that kick.

No one slipped or fell? That's not true. 

NFLN said it snowed overnight last week. Perhaps that's not true. It's not really relevant, though. The field was subjected to heavy precipitation, is the point, and that's something that teams usually try to prevent, specifically because of how it affects field conditions. But you'd have us believe that, despite a blanket of snow on the field just hours before kickoff, that the field was tip-top, no one was affected by it, etc. 

It's ridiculous.

It did not snow all night.

Did you watch the game? I did not see players slipping and falling and never once heard the commentators say the field was in poor condition. What I did see was Denver being out played physically and out coached in dominant fashion.

Really this is NOT the game to try to hang your hat on the weather. Manning was throwing it just fine all day but unable to convert to stay on the field and score points. And then the TOs and the horrible defensive game plan.

Good heavens...

The wind was clearly blowing to the right, unless the flags on the goal posts were lying. The ball hit the right upright. Only someone ignoring basic physics can argue that the wind didn't influence that kick.

The kick was going right the whole time if you watched. He hooked it. It wasn't like he kicked it straight and you saw the kick all of sudden hook right from the wind pushing it. He flat out missed it. The wind simply was not swirling that much and again he had it at his back.

It did not snow all night.

Did you watch the game? I did not see players slipping and falling and never once heard the commentators say the field was in poor condition. What I did see was Denver being out played physically and out coached in dominant fashion.

Really this is NOT the game to try to hang your hat on the weather. Manning was throwing it just fine all day but unable to convert to stay on the field and score points. And then the TOs and the horrible defensive game plan.

You seem to think that I am arguing that the Broncos lost the game because of bad weather. I don't know why you think that, because that's not what I've said.

Then why does the NFL almost exclusively schedule the SB in Domes or warm weather stadiums?

I think super bowls should be played in all different kinds of venues and weather all over the country.  I'd love to see a Super Bowl at the Big House in Michigan in front of 110,000 fans and at Lambeau Field.

I think they do it more for the comfort of the fans to play games in domes and warm weather climate.

You seem to think that I am arguing that the Broncos lost the game because of bad weather. I don't know why you think that, because that's not what I've said.

No, I know what you are saying. And I am saying this is not the game to blame the weather even a little. The conditions were fine other than some wind which stopped at half time. The weather, the field conditions did not impact the game.

And again my point has been that Denver was dominated. So if you want to use weather or home field as some sort of reasoning for that that is your prerogative. But they looked like a team that didn't even belong on the same field with NE. I am hoping for a much better showing from the Colts.

The kick was going right the whole time if you watched. He hooked it. It wasn't like he kicked it straight and you saw the kick all of sudden hook right from the wind pushing it. He flat out missed it. The wind simply was not swirling that much and again he had it at his back.

It's basic physics. If the wind is blowing right, it's going to push the ball right. That is influence.

Doesn't mean he couldn't have made the kick. I'm not even calling it a difficult kick. I'm making a pretty simple statement: the wind influenced the kick. 

I predict the Colts will win the game.

But only by a 51% chance.

But here's the thing...

If the Broncos can handle the Colts in Denver

If the Patriots can blow out the Broncos in NE.

The Patriots SHOULD play a close game in Indy.

The last two meetings between the Colts and Pats the Pats blew them out in NE.  And the Pats have Gronk in this game and a better secondary.  So in reality the Pats should be favored in Indy by a field goal.  That's how I balance it out.

No, I know what you are saying. And I am saying this is not the game to blame the weather even a little. The conditions were fine other than some wind which stopped at half time. The weather, the field conditions did not impact the game.

And again my point has been that Denver was dominated. So if you want to use weather or home field as some sort of reasoning for that that is your prerogative. But they looked like a team that didn't even belong on the same field with NE. I am hoping for a much better showing from the Colts.

???

Why say that this isn't the game to blame the weather? I'm not blaming the weather.

The bolded is patently false, though. It's obvious to most everyone else. I'm sorry you don't get it.

I predict the Colts will win the game.

But only by a 51% chance.

But here's the thing...

If the Broncos can handle the Colts in Denver

If the Patriots can blow out the Broncos in NE.

The Patriots SHOULD play a close game in Indy.

The last two meetings between the Colts and Pats the Pats blew them out in NE.  And the Pats have Gronk in this game and a better secondary.  So in reality the Pats should be favored in Indy by a field goal.  That's how I balance it out.

Two different teams and match ups. NE should do better vs Colts LBs and safeties. Colts will try to run. I think up front the Pats are stronger by a little right now so we will see. I can't believe the Colts will play the Pats anywhere near as bad as the Broncos.

???

Why say that this isn't the game to blame the weather? I'm not blaming the weather.

The bolded is patently false, though. It's obvious to most everyone else. I'm sorry you don't get it.

Sorry in a 22 point blow out that felt even bigger than the score, you can't use weather or field conditions even a little. They were crushed.

The field was covered in snow for most of the early morning and cleared by shovel trucks. The wet muddy field probably didn't impact the game at all. :number1:

Put an artificial Sun on the roof. 

Perfect weather is tough for them to handle.

You mean like the sunny day in Buffalo where the Pats won?  Or the sunny day in Minnesota?

I wouldn't call Miami in September to be "perfect weather."  That's actually dangerous weather to be playing sports in.

Good weather for football is 50 degrees and dry.  Cool weather keeps the body temp down.

I've gone jogging in 30 degree weather in January at night and worked up a sweat so imagine what playing high speed football in 90+ degree heat with humidity in south florida in september is like.

"In order for the motion of an object to change, a force must act upon it, a concept generally called inertia. " There was wind and it effected it whether you admit it or not. He didn't Vanderjagt it. It wasn't straight down the middle, but if there was no wind as you said, then the outcome of that kick would have most likely been different.

The field was covered in snow for most of the early morning and cleared by shovel trucks. The wet muddy field probably didn't impact the game at all. :number1:

NE's turf doesn't have "wet muddy" conditions.  It's artificial.  It's not grass.  It's green rubber over cement just like the Colts' turf is.

The Colts might see a real muddy field in Cleveland when they play there on grass in Dec.

Nah, friction wouldn't have an impact on a game featuring quick movements and change of direction... Don't be ridiculous.

"In order for the motion of an object to change, a force must act upon it, a concept generally called inertia. " There was wind and it effected it whether you admit it or not. He didn't Vanderjagt it. It wasn't straight down the middle, but if there was no wind as you said, then the outcome of that kick would have most likely been different.

Maybe McManus should be playing for you guys in the comfy dome.