Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae's Injury

COLTS449

The part I don't understand is why completely change our entire secondary around when Vontae went out?? 

Moving Toler across the field, switching Butler to the outside and Gordy to the inside??? Who made that decision? 

tumblr_mta08g0xU01s7zcqdo2_400.gif

Leave Toler on the right side, Butler in the slot, and replace Davis with Gordy (or I'd have love to seen Purifoy in there more)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does "exposed" mean? We got beat, plain and simple. Does that mean this is a bad team, the last five wins were a sham, and now everyone needs to be fired?

I didnt say fire anyone.While I'm here though,I'd like to point out that Davis going out had very little to do with the loss.They were moving the  ball on the Colts at will right from the start.It had everything to do with that horrible line play.I'm not sure why everyone is pretending like its no biggie.Its only cuz Davis went out.Man please,we were getting trounced with him in there.You can have 3 cornerbacks just like him on the field and still get played like clowns if you lose the battle in the trenches.On one play I'm pretty sure  I seen Ben pull a pack of smokes out of his socks and take a cigarette break.Then called his mother.While making a touchdown pass.

I didnt say fire anyone.While I'm here though,I'd like to point out that Davis going out had very little to do with the loss.They were moving the  ball on the Colts at will right from the start.It had everything to do with that horrible line play.I'm not sure why everyone is pretending like its no biggie.Its only cuz Davis went out.Man please,we were getting trounced with him in there.You can have 3 cornerbacks just like him on the field and still get played like clowns if you lose the battle in the trenches.On one play I'm pretty sure  I seen Ben pull a pack of smokes out of his socks and take a cigarette break.Then called his mother.While making a touchdown pass.

I'm asking what "exposed" means. That suggests that the defense was never any good.

Also, I agree that Davis' going out wasn't the major issue. It was a contributing factor, but we had no pass rush, and the times we did, we left hot receivers open, so it didn't matter (that's what happens when you have to blitz to get pressure). 

Although, there were a handful of plays that Butler or Toler gave up that a better corner probably would have made a play on. Plays that Davis has stopped in recent weeks, just by being six inches closer, or having better awareness when the ball is in the air. So yeah, his absence did make a difference.

Smoking should Not be Allowed on the field. And neither should cell phone use.

It was one game man.

One team was a game removed from an embarrassing loss to the Browns and their division, playoff hopes and probably coaches job slipping away and one team had won 5 in a row and was a little high on their selves.  Wanna guess which team was which?

Pitt slapped us upside the head. It is not the end of the world and I am positive it only counts as one loss.  

Pitt did us a favor I new last week was a mirage that linebacker Grigson picked up Jackson could not cover my grandmother he is one of the many great defensive players he wasted money on Landry, Toler, the list goes on and on. Feel sorry for Luck he will waste his career with Pagano and Grigson in charge

Apart from losing significant time to injury last season, Toler is a very good corner. Landry I agree with. He will return as depth and little more.

I don't know if it was all the praise this team received during the week or the Steelers hearing about how poorly they played two consecutive weeks or a combination of both...There is no excuse for mental unpreparedness...How can both lines repeatedly get socked around for 60 minutes? The way this team is built, there is no room for that. The bend but don't break years of the Dungy era are one thing...This team is built on physical play.

Pitt did us a favor I new last week was a mirage that linebacker Grigson picked up Jackson could not cover my grandmother he is one of the many great defensive players he wasted money on Landry, Toler, the list goes on and on. Feel sorry for Luck he will waste his career with Pagano and Grigson in charge

I really hope your not serious, but if you are, do us all a favor and stop posting... No true Colts fan likes your negativity :)

Thanks!!  That is all

It was one game man.

One team was a game removed from an embarrassing loss to the Browns and their division, playoff hopes and probably coaches job slipping away and one team had won 5 in a row and was a little high on their selves.  Wanna guess which team was which?

Pitt slapped us upside the head. It is not the end of the world and I am positive it only counts as one loss.  

I think it will make us a better team, and make them realize if they don't play their best any team is beatable.  Doesn't matter who they beat up on the week before!  It's good to get a loss like that out before the midway point of the season.  It exposed weaknesses and they know what they need to work on.  Like Reggie said after the loss to the Eagles "We have some soul searching to do"

I think it will make us a better team, and make them realize if they don't play their best any team is beatable.  Doesn't matter who they beat up on the week before!  It's good to get a loss like that out before the midway point of the season.  It exposed weaknesses and they know what they need to work on.  Like Reggie said after the loss to the Eagles "We have some soul searching to do"

We lost to the Eagles that team did not beat us. We wrapped that game up and put a bow on it for them. It may well be the game that haunts us in playoff seeding.

The Steelers beat us. They just had the embarrassing loss to the Browns. They wanted that game more, probably needed it more and it showed. They deserve some credit for playing a very good game.

I do agree it looked like we might have been reading our own paper clippings. We are a young team some lessons have to be learned the hard way. Hopefully we learned from that game and we move forward.

If we beat the Browns which we should we will have went 3-1 vs the AFC North. That's not that bad. I would say from top to bottom the best division in the AFC.

I find it amusing how this forum swings from the best Colts team in the history of the franchise to fire everyone, trade all of our picks for a pass rushing OLB. We are who we were on Saturday and that is a pretty good team with a legitimate shot at getting to the big game.  

I don't think losing Davis is what killed us there.  They where moving the ball just fine with Davis in the game.  The problem was there was no pass rush.  Ben spent forever in the pocket and you can't expect your CB's to cover for that long.  

Yep, Big Ben had no grass stains on his uniform & INDY's pocket collapsed or imploded almost every down for 4 quarters. You can't win with that kind of line penetration. I was amazed we put up 34 points actually. 

We lost to the Eagles that team did not beat us. We wrapped that game up and put a bow on it for them. It may well be the game that haunts us in playoff seeding.

The Steelers beat us. They just had the embarrassing loss to the Browns. They wanted that game more, probably needed it more and it showed. They deserve some credit for playing a very good game.

I do agree it looked like we might have been reading our own paper clippings. We are a young team some lessons have to be learned the hard way. Hopefully we learned from that game and we move forward.

If we beat the Browns which we should we will have went 3-1 vs the AFC North. That's not that bad. I would say from top to bottom the best division in the AFC.

I find it amusing how this forum swings from the best Colts team in the history of the franchise to fire everyone, trade all of our picks for a pass rushing OLB. We are who we were on Saturday and that is a pretty good team with a legitimate shot at getting to the big game.  

I definitely agree.  We beat ourselves against the Eagles, and were simply out played by the Steelers.  After 0-2 I was saying the same thing as I am now.  The Colt's are still fine!!  The #2 seed is still very attainable.  For the people who say the outrageous garbage such as, fire Chuck or Grigs, Trade Landry or Trent blah blah blah, they are just ignorant. 

That being said there is no reason we couldn't have beat the Steelers!  The reason why I said they need to do some soul searching is to find their true identity.  They are a better defense then how they performed on Sunday, and their offense is way too talented to not find a way to comeback after getting back into the game.  It comes down to will.  Luck continued to make terrible decisions, in part because the line couldn't do their jobs.  Both sides of the ball dealt with injuries which is more of the reason for the terrible performance, but so does every other team.

Reality?  Luck will waste his career spending time in Indy?  Greg Toler is a waste of money?  Who are you kidding? 

With player's like Toler around Luck will waste his time in Indy. I love my Colts but if Grigson keeps signing these bad free agents on D the new member  Jackson the linebacker we signed who couldn't cover my grandmother we will keep seeing having more games like the last one in Pittsburgh  :Yikes:

It was a long distance call.

I'm asking what "exposed" means. That suggests that the defense was never any good.

Also, I agree that Davis' going out wasn't the major issue. It was a contributing factor, but we had no pass rush, and the times we did, we left hot receivers open, so it didn't matter (that's what happens when you have to blitz to get pressure). 

Although, there were a handful of plays that Butler or Toler gave up that a better corner probably would have made a play on. Plays that Davis has stopped in recent weeks, just by being six inches closer, or having better awareness when the ball is in the air. So yeah, his absence did make a difference.

I think you're leaving out the issue that many times Pitt went got max protection. This is probably due to the fact that it's a good coaching staff and they knew our pass rushers don't win a lot of one on one battles. We get most of our sacks as a result of blitzing and what "was" (not Sunday) good scheme. It's not like Pittsburgh flooded the field with receiving options every play . Lots of plays only had 3 receivers out.  It was just a crap game for us . Simple as that , the team , other than a few guys on offense were listening to all the hoopla on how great they were. Pagano and staff have been great this year but I'm with Chuck on this when he said it was the players and also the coaching staff.

The DB's and LB's were just plain bad. I know you look at the game again. Please tell me what in God's name that first TD to Wheaton was all about. V Davis and a safety had him doubled , inside and out and he makes a simple little move and was all alone. Time to just put this one behind us. The Giants home prime time in a must win game will be another tough one. Seems like the Colts run into a lot of teams that have a season riding on a win or loss.

I think you're leaving out the issue that many times Pitt went got max protection. This is probably due to the fact that it's a good coaching staff and they knew our pass rushers don't win a lot of one on one battles. We get most of our sacks as a result of blitzing and what "was" (not Sunday) good scheme. It's not like Pittsburgh flooded the field with receiving options every play . Lots of plays only had 3 receivers out.  It was just a crap game for us . Simple as that , the team , other than a few guys on offense were listening to all the hoopla on how great they were. Pagano and staff have been great this year but I'm with Chuck on this when he said it was the players and also the coaching staff.

The DB's and LB's were just plain bad. I know you look at the game again. Please tell me what in God's name that first TD to Wheaton was all about. V Davis and a safety had him doubled , inside and out and he makes a simple little move and was all alone. Time to just put this one behind us. The Giants home prime time in a must win game will be another tough one. Seems like the Colts run into a lot of teams that have a season riding on a win or loss.

As I was rewatching the game, I noticed a lot of what you say here. The Steelers used a lot of max protect, neutralizing our pass rush. The interior defensive line didn't get a lot of push up the middle, and when they did, we didn't contain Roethlisberger in the pocket. So he had time, and the receivers had time to come open. Brown's big play where he came all the way to other side of the field, and Ben had 7 seconds to throw, that's what happened there.

And of course, that means they weren't flooding the field with receivers, but we played more zone than usual, and when you send 6 or sometimes 7 rushers, your zone coverage is going to be weak. Receivers can get open with relative ease.

And then there were the mistakes, like you mention with the first TD pass. Looked like the two defenders were confused, we were in some kind of zone that we don't use too often, and we left a window open. Burned. The last TD to Miller, everyone was expecting run, Werner was out of position and had no help over the top. Miller had another big play where we didn't have anyone in the area.

Lastly, their receivers made some good plays against tight coverage. Happens every week, even to the best corners. 

So yeah, I agree with Pagano, and you. The gameplan proved to be flawed, and the execution was lacking. Perfect storm. I don't know that we'll have that kind of situation going forward, but we do play some really good QBs and face some good offenses. We'll need to clean things up, quickly. Like, before Monday.

As I was rewatching the game, I noticed a lot of what you say here. The Steelers used a lot of max protect, neutralizing our pass rush. The interior defensive line didn't get a lot of push up the middle, and when they did, we didn't contain Roethlisberger in the pocket. So he had time, and the receivers had time to come open. Brown's big play where he came all the way to other side of the field, and Ben had 7 seconds to throw, that's what happened there.

And of course, that means they weren't flooding the field with receivers, but we played more zone than usual, and when you send 6 or sometimes 7 rushers, your zone coverage is going to be weak. Receivers can get open with relative ease.

And then there were the mistakes, like you mention with the first TD pass. Looked like the two defenders were confused, we were in some kind of zone that we don't use too often, and we left a window open. Burned. The last TD to Miller, everyone was expecting run, Werner was out of position and had no help over the top. Miller had another big play where we didn't have anyone in the area.

Lastly, their receivers made some good plays against tight coverage. Happens every week, even to the best corners. 

So yeah, I agree with Pagano, and you. The gameplan proved to be flawed, and the execution was lacking. Perfect storm. I don't know that we'll have that kind of situation going forward, but we do play some really good QBs and face some good offenses. We'll need to clean things up, quickly. Like, before Monday.

The long TD to Brown was actually good coverage by Tolar. Brown just happened to look back at Ben and anticipated what Tolar couldn't have. That one was just the fact that Brown is too good to cover that long.

Johnny Colt is right,

The D line play was just terrible vs the Steelers. Ben had all day to leisurely pick our secondary apart. Even if Vontae was in there the whole game, no defensive backfield can consistently keep a group of WR's blanketed for 5-8 seconds every play... 5-8 seconds is an eternity to throw the ball... 

Im not really concerned at all.  Its no surprise we struggled in the secondary due to the lack of pass rush.  Before week 8 our team was tied for 3rd in the league in sacks and I believe top 3rd in the league in qb pressures.  So we made our Dbs jobs real easy.  The more the Qbs are pressured the easier the Dbs job is.  And we are elite at pressuring the qb.  Just not against the Steelers.  Off course Vontae being out hurts but, i believe our Dbs have looked better than what they really are due to our D Line playing lights out the first 7 games of the year.  

I am reading some of the post here.  Everyone is saying the sky is falling the sky is falling.  Lets be honest Pittsburgh had the Colts number that Sunday.  That is it point blank, so please stop blaming it on the Offensive line the Defensive line not getting any pressure.  Moreover to say it fell a part because Vontae was on the sideline with an injury.  Pittsburgh had a better game plan on both sides of the ball that is it nothing more nothing less.  With that being said Colts fans lets just hold on for the second half of the season we will be just fine.  The beating resume for opposing teams Monday night.  Go Colts  

I love your objectivity :applause:

being negative doesn't make you objective. Fact is if you look at Toler's numbers outside of when he was clearly hurt last year he's been an extremely good number two corner which is what he was brought here to do.

As for Jackson your right in that he is not a good cover linebacker, however, that is NOT what he was brought here to do. He brought here to sure up the run defense which has been much better this year thanks in large part to him. Harping on his lack of coverage skills is like harping on Mathis lack of coverage skills. While true it over looks the main reason he is here.

Also, Andrew Luck has performed extremely since he came here, as has the team going to the playoffs his rookie year and then taking a very clear step forward last year by winning the division and a playoff game. This is only year three of the Andrew Luck era so yes there are still holes that need to be filled but I would hardly say he is wasting his career here as would just about anyone else who isn't looking to be sensetional on a message board. If you truly look at the Colts objectively they are way a head of where people thought they would be at this time three years ago so the argument that Luck is wasting his career here falls apart. He has a young line in front of him that is better than last years but clearly still needs some growing. He has two very good young WRs, a good group of tightends, and decent running backs. The defense probably needs another pass rusher but is still better than any defense over the last 20 years or so of Colts football. The special teams are as good of any group you are going to find in the league outside of returner. He has a good young GM who is always looking for talent to make the roster better. The coaches do a fine job, despite how parts of the forum feels at times. Then he has an owner who is committed to having a winning team and will spend the money to do so. So no Luck is not wasting his career here. Any arguement to suggest that he is when looking things objectively quickly falls apart and looks silly.