Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay Says Colts Considering Trade Options [Merge]

COLTS449

If I were a betting man..if say this is just chatter. But if I were to guess at which player would go...I'd say Landry for a quality LB that can play well enough in coverage. That seems to be our weak link. Passes to tight ends have been killing us.

So then who goes between Freeman & DQ Jackson if we get a LB?

Cause our OLB's rarely are in coverage in our defense. So either Freeman or Jackson would have to go/come off the field for this pass coverage LB to get the snaps

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have any decent LB'ers up for trade? I'm talking one that is already of your

53 man roster. Not one on your practice squad for obvious reasons because we

could just pluck one of those for no cost other than a spot on our 53 man roster.

Bengals don't normally trade draft picks for players but stranger things have happened.

We're hurting pretty bad at the Linebacker position. Both Maulauga and Lamur are

injured and supposedly Maulauga is out for an extended period of time. Roughly 6 weeks!

IMHO Lamur and Mauluaga neither one should be manning starting LB spots on any roster!

Vincent Rey will most like be taking Maualuga spot at MLB and to be honest I have no clue

who'll be taking Lamur's spot at SLB! We just signed Nico Johnson off of waivers and I

seriously doubt he'll be playing. May not even be active this first week. If I had to render a

guess our starting SLB this week will be Jayson DiManche!

Colts are thin at ILB depth as it is.

I'm ruling out safety unless we're shipping Landry out

I don't see us trading FOR a safety. I like Sergio & Adams back there. Obviously Sergio has shown a tiny small sample buy still the defense just looks so much more fluid

We can address safety in the offseason. And if the pass rush plays like they have the past 2 games for the rest of the year then we don't need help there either

If anything I say ship Fleener or rumor it. See if it'll ignite a spark under him cause his timid/soft playing style is working my last nerve

Just my opinion

:rantoff:

Yes, please!!!! Send LaRon packing and sign me in his place. I'll play for a tenth of his $24 mil contract, while missing as many tackles and blowing as many coverage assignments. Same results for a discounted price!

But seriously, get rid of LaRon

I'd trade landry AND a conditional 7th for someone to take him and his cap hit of our backs :)

Well first we would be looking to bring in a player rather then trading a player for picks. I know after trading for Trich last year some would strongly doubt we go runningback but I still think its our weakest position. CJ would be my #1 option, my 2nd would be Lamichael James of the 49ers. Just imagine Bradshaw,Spiller,Richardson and Havili or Bradshaw,James,Richardson and Havili either way, sounds good to me. I also heard at the most the Bill will get for Spiller is a 2nd rd pick, but I don't think we make any trades this year but you never say never with Grigs.

LaMichael James is actually on the Dolphin Practice squad now, so he would be pretty easy to obtain unless the Dolphins want to promote him to their active roster instead of losing him.

Correct my memory if I'm wrong but Jordan was projected as a 3-4 OLB coming into the league who the Phins have been trying to make a 4-3 DE. Like a reverse Werner?

From what I'm reading, Jordan was a similar situation to Jerry Hughes.  Played mostly DE in college but projected as an OLB/DE tweener in the pros.  So Miami isn't exactly trying to convert him into something he's never done before, just that he's never done it against NFL caliber talent.

We don't even use Boom!

We only use Trent & Ahmad. Don't see it happening, too much star power. Someone's gonna get upset about touches or something. No way we'd split those carries enough to keep everyone happy nor keep the offense productive

Just too much. Someone would have to go

Boom is not a scatback. He doesn't bring to the table anything that Richardson and Bradshaw are lacking. If you have an explosive runner like Spiller, you make room for him. Sure it would be crowded, but you figure it out and make it work.

So crazy thought...

There was all kinds of confusion about why Shipley was benched and Harrison moved to started over Holmes... and all kinds of confusion surrounding Grigson's recent comments about the centers (specifically his cryptic comments about Holmes)...

So what if Harrison was rushed into the starting role to audition him for trade bait? He's have no trade value as a bench UDFA, so if the team saw potential, but still see Holmes as the future, getting him into the starting role for a few games might make more sense...

Just a thought.

So crazy thought...

There was all kinds of confusion about why Shipley was benched and Harrison moved to started over Holmes... and all kinds of confusion surrounding Grigson's recent comments about the centers (specifically his cryptic comments about Holmes)...

So what if Harrison was rushed into the starting role to audition him for trade bait? He's have no trade value as a bench UDFA, so if the team saw potential, but still see Holmes as the future, getting him into the starting role for a few games might make more sense...

Just a thought.

Though I have no idea of the inner workings of the Colts, I would hope this isn't true. Winning games should be priority 1, 2, 3 etc etc.

Though I have no idea of the inner workings of the Colts, I would hope this isn't true. Winning games should be priority 1, 2, 3 etc etc.

Why can't winning short term (btw, they've won the games Harrison started), AND planning for the rest of the season/future, be accomplished together?

I have to pay my bills AND save for retirement.

I have to meet immediate deadlines at work AND attend to continuing education.

BOTH is better.

Going by the text that was posted, Irsay did not say anything about considering trade options.  He said he talked with Grigs about if there was anything they could do before or after the trade deadline to make the roster better.

Now, I may be going out on a limb here and this may be a totally whacked out idea but I'm thinking that:

• Every owner in the NFL is having that conversation with the GM about this time of year.
  • That seems like a reasonable question for an owner who has been barred from the facility for the last 6 weeks, to ask his GM.  It's basically like any boss asking an employee, "Is there anything you need to help you do your job better?"

You have to hand it to Irsay, he knows how to get people talking about the Colts.

Great post. The video is on Colts.com if you want to watch the entire interview. This is much chatter about nothing. I in no way thought Irsay implied they were looking to make a trade...media stirring the pot, which is fine. I just wish people actually listened for themselves instead of assuming. 

Saying that he had a conversation with the men running the team about doing whatever they could to improve the team is not "talking business," nor it is getting out in front of his GM. 

It is talking business. It really can't be anything else, can it? It wasn't a conversation about Lunch. Teams will be inclined to drive a harder bargain knowing Irsay wants the deal (thats being out in front of the GM for my dollar). Is it safe to assume all teams have these conversations between front office guys? Then why do I not hear about "AMAZING FANTASTIC HUGE NEWS AHEAD" and other such things (not saying Irsay did that- this time- but he has, more than once)  from 31 other teams, in regards to potential roster moves. Again, and I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion, but I think Jim should just lay real low for a while.

Cause our OLB's rarely are in coverage in our defense. So either Freeman or Jackson would have to go/come off the field for this pass coverage LB to get the snaps

Are you sure you watch the games? OLB rarely in coverage? They don't blitz every pass play. So at least one OLB is in coverage quite a bit.

It is talking business. It really can't be anything else, can it? It wasn't a conversation about Lunch. Teams will be inclined to drive a harder bargain knowing Irsay wants the deal (thats being out in front of the GM for my dollar). Is it safe to assume all teams have these conversations between front office guys? Then why do I not hear about "AMAZING FANTASTIC HUGE NEWS AHEAD" and other such things (not saying Irsay did that- this time- but he has, more than once) from 31 other teams, in regards to potential roster moves. Again, and I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion, but I think Jim should just lay real low for a while.

He's running his team.

I'd venture a guess that DQ goes. He's been inconsistent, at least in my mind thus far. 

Then again, our D has been playing pretty well, which leads me back to my original point that I truly think this is just chatter, either to light the fire under someone(s) or just kick the stones a little to see if anyone contacts us. 

This is a conversation that happens on a regular basis in the FO, GMs are constantly in contact with one another, scouts are constantly looking at guys on other teams rosters, etc.  I think unless we see some Irsay comments talking about a "MONSTER TRADE" or whatever, then its' probably a low key deal, and that's assuming we do anything at all.

what would be the cap implications of trading Landry?

I may well be wrong but I think we'd be looking at $3.5 Million of dead money against the cap next year if we trade him now. 

There would indeed be a cap penalty in 2015 of $3.5m. That's a cap savings of $2.25m in 2015, and a cap savings of $7.75m in 2016. 

For the remainder of 2014, we'd have a cap savings as well. His base salary in 2014 is $3m, but his suspension costs him four weeks of salary, so that base salary goes down to about $2.3m. We've already paid Landry for four games. His remaining 9 weeks of salary would be paid by his new team, and would come off our cap. So our 2014 cap hit for Landry would go down from $4.75m to about $3.15m. (There's no 2014 cap savings for releasing him at this point; his base salary is guaranteed.)

None of this is likely to happen, by the way. But those are the numbers.

It is talking business. It really can't be anything else, can it? It wasn't a conversation about Lunch. Teams will be inclined to drive a harder bargain knowing Irsay wants the deal (thats being out in front of the GM for my dollar). Is it safe to assume all teams have these conversations between front office guys? Then why do I not hear about "AMAZING FANTASTIC HUGE NEWS AHEAD" and other such things (not saying Irsay did that- this time- but he has, more than once)  from 31 other teams, in regards to potential roster moves. Again, and I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion, but I think Jim should just lay real low for a while.

Did you listen to the interview? I think you are overstating what Irsay said. In no way did he say they want to make a trade. 

I'm ruling out safety unless we're shipping Landry out

I don't see us trading FOR a safety. I like Sergio & Adams back there. Obviously Sergio has shown a tiny small sample buy still the defense just looks so much more fluid

We can address safety in the offseason. And if the pass rush plays like they have the past 2 games for the rest of the year then we don't need help there either

If anything I say ship Fleener or rumor it. See if it'll ignite a spark under him cause his timid/soft playing style is working my last nerve

Just my opinion

:rantoff:

I agree.  I could see us trading Fleener for draft picks or a needed player.

I don't really wanna see the Colts trade away any picks, unless its a 6th or 7th rounder for a young talent like Seattle did for Marcus Burley.

However, I wouldn't mind the Colts entertaining trading away Fleener ONLY if the value is there. If they cant get a 3rd or better, than you need to keep him since he still has upside. But I feel this TE core would be just fine without him since Allen is a stud and Doyle can hold his own.

In conclusion, this team needs to be build through the draft, and continue to get younger and more talented on the defense. The offense seems to be in tact aside from maybe another OL or RB if Bradshaw isn't retained next year. I fully expect Wayne to be back so we will have good WRs with Wayne, Hilton, and Moncrief. We can always find a guy to fill that 4th WR spot.