Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos New "America's Team"

Andrew Luck's Beard

Giants and Saints?

There's this annual thing in the NFL called a Super Bowl (not sure if you've heard about it given you're allegiances) where the best team from each conference plays each other to determine a champion and be given the "Lombardi" trophy (named after a famous Packer head coach, Vince Lombardi.) Anywho, there's this phenomenon called "bandwaggoning" where people become fans of teams who recently won this "Super Bowl". As each of these teams has won one recently (the Giants have won 2 in fact), each of them have a lot of "bandwagon fans". Also, the Giants play in New York (technically New Jersey) and have a large "market" (meaning that they are popular and have a lot of fans).

I hope this helps.  

A poll like this is incredibly inaccurate for a number of reasons.

#1. No one cared about Denver until Manning went there and then the bandwagon got huge. You all know I'm right. Once he's gone, no one will care about them anymore. He could have went to Houston or Tennessee and still, it would be the same impact of popularity.

#2. The Saints are one of the most hated teams in the league. I know this cause everywhere I go, I see hate for them. No way I believe they are in a top 10 beloved list when every forum I go to people hate their guts weather it be Bounty gate or the "Katrina Saints" (this place is the only other NFL forum I've been to that don't throw those jokes around, so cheers for that)

#3. The Patriots are also among one of the most hated teams in the league and all of you know this. Outside of the northern east coast, I doubt anyone has anything nice to say about them whatsoever. Even the Pats fans on here know that their team is widely hated.

I could make other arguments about how the Steelers and Cowboys are widely hated too, but I'll regress on it. Their bandwagon fans are everywhere when they are winning.

Now for the other key reasons.

This poll is inaccurate cause it's just that. A fan poll. if you were to really break this down into statistics, you would have to take into account the viewership of games and numbers of jerseys sales and merchandise. I doubt Denver is the most beloved team in the league just as I highly doubt anyone really likes the Saints outside of the wasteland down here.

If anything that list is just the top 10 "popular" teams.

And still it misses a mark cause I find it hard to believe the Bears are there but not the Colts. Also the Browns have become quite marketable in this past year.

#2. The Saints are one of the most hated teams in the league. I know this cause everywhere I go, I see hate for them. No way I believe they are in a top 10 beloved list when every forum I go to people hate their guts weather it be Bounty gate or the "Katrina Saints" (this place is the only other NFL forum I've been to that don't throw those jokes around, so cheers for that)

Maybe its not the saints they dislike on the various forums you visit

There's this annual thing in the NFL called a Super Bowl (not sure if you've heard about it given you're allegiances) where the best team from each conference plays each other to determine a champion and be given the "Lombardi" trophy (named after a famous Packer head coach, Vince Lombardi.) Anywho, there's this phenomenon called "bandwaggoning" where people become fans of teams who recently won this "Super Bowl". As each of these teams has won one recently (the Giants have won 2 in fact), each of them have a lot of "bandwagon fans". Also, the Giants play in New York (technically New Jersey) and have a large "market" (meaning that they are popular and have a lot of fans).

I hope this helps.  

Thanks for the long and overly sarcastic explanation. I get it, but still find it strange that either of those teams would be ranked up there, especially the Giants at number two. But continue being a *, it gives me a laugh.

So then who would be America's team?

There is only one true America's team and that is the Packers. They are not owned by one rich dude. Packers have been public owned team since 1923 when 1,900 shareholders put up $25 dollars apiece. Right now there are 4,750,937 shares owned by 112,120 stock holders. Not one shareholder gets any dividends. It all goes back into the team.

Per ESPN. Top 10 goes 1. Broncos, 2. Giants, 3. Packers, 4. Cowboys, 5. Steelers, 6. Seahawks, 7. 49ers, 8. Patriots, 9. Bears, 10. Saints.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11701906/denver-broncos-favorite-team-fans-surveyed-harris-poll

I would like to believe that but people like the Colts more than they do the NYGs..

...and the Saints...really?

There is only one true America's team and that is the Packers. They are not owned by one rich dude. Packers have been public owned team since 1923 when 1,900 shareholders put up $25 dollars apiece. Right now there are 4,750,937 shares owned by 112,120 stock holders. Not one shareholder gets any dividends. It all goes back into the team.

I can buy that. Plus the Vince Lombardi history.

I believe they pretty much were before Dallas took that title- mostly because of their cheerleaders.

You think Peyton will play til he's 43?

This is a scary thought. :eek: He may play forever and keep regenerating. :oops:  Like a salamander who gets his tail cut off and grows a new one, Peyton is just going to keep growing a new arm. 

Maybe he is a robot and there is something implanted in his brain which is why his forehead is so big. :Yikes:

Broncos.......Halloween horror at it's finest. :omg:

This is a scary thought. :eek: He may play forever and keep regenerating. :oops:  Like a salamander who gets his tail cut off and grows a new one, Peyton is just going to keep growing a new arm. 

Maybe he is a robot and there is something implanted in his brain which is why his forehead is so big. :Yikes:

Broncos.......Halloween horror at it's finest. :omg:

It will start off noodly, and grow in strength as time goes on. I think the Packers should be number on because the fans own a part of the team.

America's Team is and always will be the Cowboys. One of the ESPN talking heads said it best this week that when the Cowboys are doing well like this year, football is better. It is true as much as I do dislike them.

Pats for sure would be the most hated as I would put them at #2. After that, anyone's guess.

You think Peyton will play til he's 43?

I think there's an outside chance he does not retire when his contract is up..after 2016

...He clearly isn't in decline..maybe he will be in 2016...we'd have to see that.

But Peyton does not appear to be 'done' ability wise.

I expect Tom Brady and Drew Brees to still be playing in 2016, too

I think there's an outside chance he does not retire when his contract is up..after 2016

...He clearly isn't in decline..maybe he will be in 2016...we'd have to see that.

But Peyton does not appear to be 'done' ability wise.

I expect Tom Brady and Drew Brees to still be playing in 2016, too

His passes have seemed more wobbly this year. Do you notice that as well? Not sure if that is his grip that may be the issue as his arm seems strong on some throws.

#1. No one cared about Denver until Manning went there and then the bandwagon got huge.

The Tebow bible thumpers sure did, but they all left with Tebow.

But yeah....the Broncos are a huge bandwagon with Peyton being there. Although we were never "America's Team" while he was in Indy so whatever. Not a title I'd want to have anyway as it's incredibly pretentious. The only title I care about would be "Superbowl Champions."

I usually don't pay much attention to polls. This one doesn't mean anything. I agree that Manning is the main reason that Denver seems so popular. When he retires (which won't be for several years), the Broncos will lose some fans.

One reason I like the Packers is because they are owned by the fans. They could be labeled "America's Team", for that reason and the fac that they won several Superbowls.

Almost all "polls," whether political or otherwise, come from a sampling of thousands, usually not tens of thousands, of people.

I'm pretty sure the Patriots were second or third on a "most hated NFL team" poll recently as well.

So... it is what it is. 

Popularity comes and goes a lot in pro sports. I'm sure the Miami Heat were "America's team" in the NBA last year. That said there are several franchises that have a huge following even when they aren't winning (Mostly because of the market they are in/past success). Those would be Lakers/Celtics....Yankees, Redsox, Dodgers, and Cardinals....and Giants, Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, and the Patriots have probably worked into that discussion from the past decade. I wouldn't buy stock in any other teams having long gevity.

#2. The Saints are one of the most hated teams in the league. I know this cause everywhere I go, I see hate for them.

Really? I think they are probably one of the least thought of teams by fans throughout the country, except by fans of division rivals.

#1. No one cared about Denver until Manning went there and then the bandwagon got huge. You all know I'm right. Once he's gone, no one will care about them anymore. He could have went to Houston or Tennessee and still, it would be the same impact of popularity.

no,.. Denver has been very popular nationwide  for many years Elway, multiple Super Bowl appearances etc.

His passes have seemed more wobbly this year. Do you notice that as well? Not sure if that is his grip that may be the issue as his arm seems strong on some throws.

THat's a god observation that I haven't heard anywhnere else. He was shaky in the first quarter at New York..and I dont know why..

...He was very good against Arizona..

I;m guessing that he throws such a soft ball..and the winds affect it.

But he'd never admit it if his arm hurts some nights...

The Tebow bible thumpers sure did, but they all left with Tebow.

But yeah....the Broncos are a huge bandwagon with Peyton being there. Although we were never "America's Team" while he was in Indy so whatever. Not a title I'd want to have anyway as it's incredibly pretentious. The only title I care about would be "Superbowl Champions."

As time goes by...Indy will rise again nationwide because Andrew is so watchable..

Nationwide some on the coast don't see him that much. You cant tell some of the ESPN 'analysts' don't watch the Colts as much as they do NE and Dallas...

..as the Colts continue to win, their nationwide following will retunr

As time goes by...Indy will rise again nationwide because Andrew is so watchable..

Nationwide some on the coast don't see him that much. You cant tell some of the ESPN 'analysts' don't watch the Colts as much as they do NE and Dallas...

..as the Colts continue to win, their nationwide following will retunr

The Cokts never had a nationwide following. Not at all.

Certainly not in the way that the Cowboys or Steelers, oddly, do.

On sports radio here yesterday they were saying that of the 10 top highest TV rated national football broadcasts last year, the Cowboys had 5 of those games. So half of the highest rated national games last year were Cowboy games and they were an 8-8 team. They are America's team.

The polls a farce lol

"That's according to The Harris Poll, which surveyed 2,543 adults (1,275 of whom said they followed professional football). The nationwide poll was taken from Sept. 10-17."

If half of the people sampled don't follow football then why include them in a poll about America's favorite team?