Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis - Best Corner in the NFL

BlueShoe

Yep I said it.

He is better than Richard Sherman.

Vontae shuts receivers down. After his day is over, he does not need to tell anyone about it. All he does is play man-to-man coverage for most of the day, shuts his side of the field down, smiles, and says thank you. 

There has not been a better NFL corner in the 2014 season.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to compare Sherman and Davis because they're asked to do different things. No one does Sherman's job better than him and I'm not sure anyone could. That being said, to this point, I could definitely see Davis being the number one corner so far this season. In my mind, Davis has certainly secured himself a spot within the top 5.

Richard Sherman has Earl Thomas backing him up.... 

Enough said.   Seattle's safety play makes that whole thing work.

Yep I said it.

Vontae shuts receivers down. After his day is over, he does not need to tell anyone about it. All he does is play man-to-man coverage for most of the day, shuts his side of the field down, smiles, and says thank you. 

I think he's a top 3 CB because he's so great in press man coverage, but his zone coverage and not following the best WR on every play prevents him from being #1. Here's my rankings.

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Richard Sherman
3. Vontae Davis 
4. Joe Haden
5 Darrelle Revis

Top 3 is still great, one of the best CB's the Colts have ever had.

I think he's a top 3 CB because he's so great in press man coverage, but his zone coverage and not following the best WR on every play prevents him from being #1. Here's my rankings.

1. Patrick Peterson

2. Richard Sherman

3. Vontae Davis

4. Joe Haden

5 Darrelle Revis

Put Davis at 2, Sherman at 1, revis at 3, and replace both Peterson and especially Haden.

1. Patrick Peterson

2. Richard Sherman

3. Vontae Davis 

4. Joe Haden

5 Darrelle Revis

Put Davis at 2, Sherman at 1, revis at 3, and replace both Peterson and especially Haden.

So what you are both saying is that TY would own Vontae Davis like he did Richard Sherman.

I disagree. Vontae would shut TY down.

Vontae is a top 5 CB, but to say he's #1 in the NFL is just a bit too far.

Now if he's consistent this year then we can talk about it in the offseason. That's his biggest problem, consistency

You can't be the best if you only can do it every other week or spotty with it

But if some of you believe he's the best hands down right now, that's your view & you're entitled to your own views

:dunno:

Vontae is a top 5 CB, but to say he's #1 in the NFL is just a bit too far.

Now if he's consistent this year then we can talk about it in the offseason. That's his biggest problem, consistency

You can't be the best if you only can do it every other week or spotty with it

But if some of you believe he's the best hands down right now, that's your view & you're entitled to your own views

:dunno:

He is consistent in 2014. 

We are talking about 2014.

He is consistent in 2014. 

We are talking about 2014.

But if your talking 2014, 3 games is far too soon and far too small a sample to proclaim anyone the best of anything. Let's see how he does after a full season.

Still it's nice that we're having these sort of debates rather than if a 2nd was too high, practically looks a bargain now.

But if your talking 2014, 3 games is far too soon and far too small a sample to proclaim anyone the best of anything. Let's see how he does after a full season.

Still it's nice that we're having these sort of debates rather than if a 2nd was too high, practically looks a bargain now.

3 games is a long time to shut receivers down.

There are corners who have played 10 years who would love to have Vontae's last 3 games even on their resume.

Vontae Davis is on his game, and I am calling it now - Vontae Davis is the Best Corner in the NFL. It will not be too much longer before all of the media is adding Vontae to the discussion.

3 games is a long time to shut receivers down.

There are corners who have played 10 years who would love to have Vontae's last 3 games even on their resume.

Vontae Davis is on his game, and I am calling it now - Vontae Davis is the Best Corner in the NFL. It will not be too much longer before all of the media is adding Vontae to the discussion.

Understood but at what point do make the cut off, on your reckoning we could say there's a different "Best at" every week depending on their game performance. That in my mind means that you can be quite correct in your assertion that "Davis is the best corner in the NFL" but I might add the rider currently

To be truly the best I think you have to do it for at least a season, and some would argue you have to do it in the play offs against what should be the better teams. 

Again I say, very glad we brought him over, and I think for all the talk there was at the time of  his deal being too much we've got him at a very good price. 

Understood but at what point do make the cut off, on your reckoning we could say there's a different "Best at" every week depending on their game performance. That in my mind means that you can be quite correct in your assertion that "Davis is the best corner in the NFL" but I might add the rider currently

To be truly the best I think you have to do it for at least a season, and some would argue you have to do it in the play offs against what should be the better teams. 

Again I say, very glad we brought him over, and I think for all the talk there was at the time of  his deal being too much we've got him at a very good price. 

We are talking about this season (2014), and if you look at last year, then the signs were certainly there for Davis to have this breakout season. 

We are talking about this season (2014), and if you look at last year, then the signs were certainly there for Davis to have this breakout season. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, just cautioning I want to see it for the whole of this season (2014 :P) before I crown him best CB overall. I think that's fairly reasonable? 

On a side note, I've enjoyed watching how teams are treating Sherman this year. From the Packers refusing to throw his way to getting targeted somewhat in the Chargers game. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, just cautioning I want to see it for the whole of this season (2014 :P) before I crown him best CB overall. I think that's fairly reasonable? 

On a side note, I've enjoyed watching how teams are treating Sherman this year. From the Packers refusing to throw his way to getting targeted somewhat in the Chargers game. 

Rivers owned Sherman. Rivers would not own Davis like that. 

Rivers owned Sherman. Rivers would not own Davis like that.

I recall Davis having a bad day against sd last year. You could argue his hamstring injury impeded him n I honestly would not disagree but to say rivers can't is absurd. Davis is a top 5 in my eyes but he needs a longer resume to be any higher IMO.

So what you are both saying is that TY would own Vontae Davis like he did Richard Sherman.

I disagree. Vontae would shut TY down.

TY does a fine job of shutting TY down right now, He had a fine game vs Jax for sure though but he has a ton of potential I think that we have not seen yet, I think he is capable of averaging extremely close to 100 yards a game

1. Patrick Peterson

2. Richard Sherman

3. Vontae Davis 

4. Joe Haden

5 Darrelle Revis

Peterson doesn't shadow #1 anymore, he plays a side of the field like Sherman (according to pff). Haden this year is giving up something like 120 passer rating. Pff just had a write up about this Tuesday I believe. Davis May really be the best going right now.

Peterson doesn't shadow #1 anymore, he plays a side of the field like Sherman (according to pff). Haden this year is giving up something like 120 passer rating. Pff just had a write up about this Tuesday I believe. Davis May really be the best going right now.

Meh yards per reception allowed and TD's allowed is what matters most

1. Patrick Peterson

2. Richard Sherman

3. Vontae Davis

4. Joe Haden

5 Darrelle Revis

If Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden were drafted in the 3rd rounds, nobody would be calling them top 5.

Meh yards per reception allowed and TD's allowed is what matters most

Assume Haden is shadowing #1 receivers on every play:

Antonio brown 116 yards. 1 td ( the td was on Haden for sure)

Jimmy graham 118 yards. 2 tds (pff article says Haden was on graham)

Steve smith 101 yards. 0 tds.

I don't have the pay version of pff so I can't verify these numbers but they look terrible, even if half of those arent Haden.

So a corner has a bad season if he gives up 1 catch for 30 yards all season. His YPR allowed would be 30.

Lets not be extreme here, But since we are then if said Corner was targeted once and gave up 30 yards then yes that's not good and actually bad but again your scenario is a bit extreme in my opinion

What's that, play one side of the field, only man, and grab and hold receivers most of the time to prevent getting beat? Ya he does do that pretty well.

He does his job so well that Aaron Rodgers didn't even throw his way. A top four quarterback didn't even bother to go Sherman's way one time.

Assume Haden is shadowing #1 receivers on every play:

Antonio brown 116 yards. 1 td ( the td was on Haden for sure)

Jimmy graham 118 yards. 2 tds (pff article says Haden was on graham)

Steve smith 101 yards. 0 tds.

I don't have the pay version of pff so I can't verify these numbers but they look terrible, even if half of those arent Haden.

Oh I know Hadens been bad this year, As a matter of fact I think there are 2 reasons Haden gets more love from the media, 1.He is a bit more flashy then Davis.....Does more interviews on NFL Network and other media outlets...Though Vontae has been on NFL Network not to long ago....Hadens been on multiple times, Davis seems to be the more quiet type

and #2.While Haden has not played as well in my opinion this year he has overall made more plays on the ball then Vontae taking passes defensed, Ints both into consideration and everyone likes a playmaker...especially the media as it gives them something to exploit

Davis deserves his Credit he is def a Top 5 Corner. i wouldnt yet argue that he is the absolute best (due to injury) but he is making a strong case. Sherman has one if not the best safety tandoms in the league, where as Davis doesnt. Davis still manages to shut receivers down without that supporting cast. Not to mention QB's really dont throw Davis's way. 

He does his job so well that Aaron Rodgers didn't even throw his way. A top four quarterback didn't even bother to go Sherman's way one time.

This was a definite bit of game planning by the Packers, look at who lined up against Sherman all game... 

That's the downside to Sherman in some ways, yes he can "shutdown" half of the field, but it also means teams can easily steer away their #1 from him if they so choose. 

This is crazy talk.. as much as i want davis to be the best he is far from it.. if were doing it by statistics kyle fuller is the leader right now.. he leads in interceptions with 3. Nfl.com has vontae rated 22nd in the league.. lol far from number one. You have a better case in saying toler is the best because he is ranked 10th. Either way you look at it, its hard to say davis is the best when people have more interceptions and pass defenses then him.

Yep I said it.

Fan hyperbole.

Did you watch the Game or just regurgitating what you read? They constantly lined their #3 receiver on him because he only plays one side. Why wouldn't you put your third option on him and then just not pay attention to him.

Please stop posting until you say something that makes sense.