Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BREAKING: Ray Rice released by Ravens, suspended indefinitely

pacolts56

Never said it will, but he should.

Goodell saw the video way before it was released to the public and he only suspended Rice for two games. 

Not willing to wait until TMZ's "evidence" is shown? 

EDIT: They were supposed to be releasing additional V. Stiviano tapes, and when they did, they were pretty tame. I'm not jumping to any conclusions just because TMZ says they have proof. I'd like to see what they're talking about, first.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got blasted by an ex during a verbal fight once, she didn't lose her job...

That's because your situation doesn't fit the template of "oppression" that's been sold to us for years.  Your DV went in the wrong direction relative to the ongoing mission of spreading the message.

They just announced that the POTUS will make a statement about this situation.  I'm sure it'll be constructive and informative.

TMZ is so concerned about getting the proof out there that they are waiting until tomorrow to release the proof?

Gotta extend the news cycle as long as possible.

I really hate TMZ. They can do a fantastic job of uncovering stories sometimes, but they perpetuate this tabloid mentality so often that it's grating.

Agree 100% with Keith Olbermann.

I don't agree with Keith on a lot as I think at times he simply enjoys hearing his own voice, but when it comes to this issue of Roger Goodell if the man acted without seeing all the evidence in this case. Well, he has no credibility... and should resign. 

I did not know that Goodell interviewed Mrs. Rice with Ray Rice present. That makes no sense. If Goodell was really interested in knowing what occurred between the two that night, he would have met with each person separately. This is disgraceful on the part of the NFL.

I will agree with Keith on one point. Interviewing Mrs. Rice with her husband in the room was a mistake by Roger Goodell & both the league & the Ravens themselves had seen the tape prior to today & they fully knew what Ray Rice did & the unspeakable way he treated his wife a women he claims he loves and asked to marry him. 

Here is where I part ways with Mr. Olbermann though. Terminating Ray Rice's contract does not solve domestic violence or make women feel safer. The owners are not going to fire Roger Goodell not while the NFL is enjoying record profits, popularity, & international exposure across a wide net. In addition, I really don't care for Keith's king like royal proclamations of holier than thou absolutism. It's the 1 thing about him that drives me nuts. Who died & made you the decider of self righteousness Keith? So, just because you host a popular program on ESPN & call for countless people to be fired we should obey King Keith Lord of Morality & Ethics? Please.

Also, I get the sense that the media is fostering a sense of fake outrage. We had no idea it was this bad until we actually say the tape. Get real people. What did you think domestic violence was? It usually involves throwing things & a person being beaten in some fashion. In addition, I really don't like Ray Rice being crucified on every news program or made out to be a serial abuser because he struck 1 woman in his life. Some of these news organizations leave you with the impression that Ray Rice used his wife like a favorite workout or punching bag on a frequent basis.

Keith's problem is that he thinks he's a MSNBC "Special Comment" wizard & he needs to step off his high horse sometimes & just chill. News coverage of this Ray Rice incident makes all men uneasy because we as a gender get falsely pulled into that scenario now with our wives, mothers, & girlfriends now. Would you treat me that way honey? If we have a heated altercation about something are you going strike me too?

It just infuriates me that the Ravens let him go. And John Harbaugh is so full of crap. Yeah, you love him so much you cut him loose. So if I'm drowning psychologically are you gonna let me get sucked under with despair & dark thoughts of worthlessness & possible suicide too John?

You don't help a guy by cutting off his income, vilifying him, & pretending like you never thought the incident was this bad.   

I realize that women need to be protected from domestic violence & they as a consumer base are a vital part of the NFL's clothing empire & television empire revenue which explains why the league changed their position twice saying they were wrong & now suspending Ray Rice indefinitely. I just try to balance a woman's protection along with destroying a man's career & reputation knowing full well that making Ray Rice out to be the anti-christ solves nothing. You need to confront domestic violence head on not fire someone & pretend the issue of beating a woman is somehow solved thats ridiculous IMHO.  

Chris Canty of the Ravens makes some good points. Posting the video for all to view further victimizes Mrs. Rice. It should not have been made public. I wonder if we would have ever seen that video if the NFL had given Rice a stiffer punishment. Probably so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA3R5MZ32sg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I agree completely with Mr. Canty on 1 point: It is easier to point fingers than extend a helping hand. Yes, news outlets should have reached out to Ray Rice's wife & asked her how she felt about the TMZ video & abided by her wishes 1 way or another. 

I really don't like when athletes duck direct questions: "Do you think Ray Rice should have been fired today?" "Well, that decision isn't up to me." That's not what the reporter asked you Chris. It's a yes or no question. Me, when somebody asks me a direct question, I answer it. 

This entire scenario is comical to me...    The NFL is FULL of thugs...        and Ray R gets nailed.   Punished...      

and then a video?   So convenient for GODell and the NFL.

What in the heck did they think happened in that elevator?

total farce...        I am really close to being over the NFL ...         Pro sports in general..  

This entire scenario is comical to me...    The NFL is FULL of thugs...        and Ray R gets nailed.   Punished...      

total farce...        I am really close to being over the NFL ...         Pro sports in general..  

Just take it as entertainment. Thats what I do. 

I agree JD. The NFL's claim that they had never seen the video is beyond preposterous. The staff at Roger Goodell's disposal is very large. I'm pretty sure the saw the same tape weeks before today too my friend. 

Ray Rice cannot be excused for what he did to his wife, but he should not be the face of horrendous brutality either. The media needs to slow down & tap the brakes a little bit. Look at Ray's entire record not just 1 grossly regrettable violent moment. That's what I find so sad. Tanking a guy's good record over 1 moment of weakness & cruelty. I don't throw in the towel or give up on people so quickly. 

"There by the Grace of God go I." We are all capable of 1 false move. No one is immune from this reality. 

I agree the NFL looks stupid and IMO probably knew all about this video already. Oh and the Ravens probably did too....but I never thought about that as much. Hand caught in the cookie jar finally!

But, still Ray Rice is a scum bag. But, don't think I just think he is.......a large part of the league is too. When this much money is floating around along with all kinds of fancy drugs and perks etc. it's not going to resemble a boy scout convention.

Just take it as entertainment. Thats what I do. 

I wish I could do that Jules, but I can't because I always put myself in their shoes. Now, I know what you're thinking, what about her rights? True, no woman deserves to be punched in the face I agree, but if Ray Rice was clearly a monster would she have walked down the aisle with him. Okay sure people can show a different side of themselves after marriage. I get that. 

I just don't view this case as innocent woman get beaten by her football husband. There are more layers than that to me. By layers, I don't mean find excuses to pardon Ray Rice. I just mean that one mistake as reprehensible as it truly is shouldn't ban them from the NFL altogether. Look at former Bengals, Patriots, & Dolphins WR Chad Johnson. He was a model citizen too, hit his fiancee, & his career was over immediately too. 

I wish I could do that Jules, but I can't because I always put myself in their shoes. Now, I know what you're thinking, what about her rights? True, no woman deserves to be punched in the face I agree, but if Ray Rice was clearly a monster would she have walked down the aisle with him. Okay sure people can show a different side of themselves after marriage. I get that. 

Well a lot of women do marry or get with a man for ALL the wrong reasons too. Pressure, money......the list goes on. It is not always about love even though in an idealistic world it is.

Well a lot of women do marry or get with a man for ALL the wrong reasons too. Pressure, money......the list goes on. It is not always about love even though in an idealistic world it is.

That's why I like you Jules: As a woman, you can acknowledge that some women have less than noble intentions. They can indeed be gold diggers on the prowl looking for mansions, a sweet ride, & a life on easy street selling their body to the highest bidder or star NFL athlete. 

Pretty sure Goodell's nightmares include videotapes.

The media is asking the NFL to solve domestic abuse problems..

2 games..No, that's too little..

..relasing him after the video was released...No, the team should have somehow seen it earlier..

..banning anyone from resigning Ray after his release....the NFL should have overrode the plaeysr union and banned him previously

///To me the problem here is that the court system gave Rice a pass..

.....and we expect the NFL to solve the problem of Ray Rice knocking out his wife...and they cant, no matter what they do

I think that, in the days to come, people are going to realize this

I agree the NFL looks stupid and IMO probably knew all about this video already. Oh and the Ravens probably did too....but I never thought about that as much. Hand caught in the cookie jar finally!

But, still Ray Rice is a scum bag. But, don't think I just think he is.......a large part of the league is too. When this much money is floating around along with all kinds of fancy drugs and perks etc. it's not going to resemble a boy scout convention.

What did anyone want the NFL to do about Ray knocking out his wife?.

Really? I hadn't heard that part.

Makes coming back trickier, but he's not out of the league IMO.

Gregg Williams was also suspended indefinitely after bountygate and then got a job with TN the following season. I think what makes this tough for Rice, legal issues and baggage aside, is that he is a RB who is on the back half of his career. Doubt anyone takes a flier but we'll see ...

I don't agree with Keith on a lot as I think at times he simply enjoys hearing his own voice, but when it comes to this issue of Roger Goodell if the man acted without seeing all the evidence in this case. Well, he has no credibility... and should resign.

How could Godell see evidence that was withheld from him

The NFL is not a court...they dont have trials

Gotta extend the news cycle as long as possible.

I really hate TMZ. They can do a fantastic job of uncovering stories sometimes, but they perpetuate this tabloid mentality so often that it's grating.

That's what is happening here...

TMZ had both videos (in the elevator and outside the elevator) and they held the second one for this week

Chris Canty of the Ravens makes some good points. Posting the video for all to view further victimizes Mrs. Rice. It should not have been made public. I wonder if we would have ever seen that video if the NFL had given Rice a stiffer punishment. Probably so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA3R5MZ32sg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No one is interested is the woman..

No one is interested in the court system that gave Ray a pass..

Its media and they are taking shots at the NFL..an easy target

If he can produce, someone will sign him. This isn't the only guy in the league that have beat up a significant other

Maybe but his situation is over the top bad for the league. Like I have said in other posts, his bigger issue getting a new job is being a RB on the back half of his career.

Really? Would that be how you would move your wife or daughter?

I think he could have turned her face up

Check on her responsiveness

Picked her up and carried her off

Perhaps seek assistance for his unconscious fiancé?3

In other words, act like he cared about the woman he was about to marry.

Maybe but his situation is over the top bad for the league. Like I have said in other posts, his bigger issue getting a new job is being a RB on the back half of his career.

a.m.

we have drifted into an interesting social woods..where the all-powerful NFL (or so it is called)is being held accountable for the crimes of all of its members.

If they do not satisfy the 24-7 media with feel good suspensions and fines for real life crime.

.They are being saddled with the blame for such crime..

..How many times have you heard that the NFL doesn't care about women..or drunk driving..or murder..because they make lots of money

I doubt that s true...

But even if it is...criminals beat the law and we want the National Football League to make it right?

John.,.Don't fall into the trap of asking the NFL to solve social problems and stop crime..

That's what the courts are for..

We don't ask any other private corporation to stop or punish crime and criminals, do we?