Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BREAKING: Ray Rice released by Ravens, suspended indefinitely

pacolts56

I don't know. . . couldn't the Ravens increase his suspension after having viewed the video?

Maybe NFL suspensions are final once they are pronounced. . . fine but it seems like the Ravens could have said. . . you know what we just saw the video and we're gonna add 6 more games to this or something like that.

I think you have staggered reactions here. People were already upset about the initial decision. Then this comes out. People are very turned up over this, based on initial reactions. I don't think adding 6 games would have done it. Maybe the rest of the season.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That or they thought the general public would never have access to the video.

Yeah, but that just doesn't make sense to me, espeically in light of the NFL's new domestic abuse policy.  I suppose it could be a reason, but I tend to disagree with it.  People already saw the video in February of him dragging his unconscious wife out of the elevator and most people back then figured he just hauled off and knocked her out.  So for those people, what actually happened in the video was pretty much what they already had imagined.  I guess what I mean by all that is, there shouldn't be any surprises when you watch the video.  It just puts an actual image to what they already believed had happened.

That's just sick. I've already lost respect for Ray Rice, but I've lost any respect for the Ravens as an organization. Remember how they said "We're standing behind him the whole way"? Can't believe they didn't issue their own punishment or release him. Goodell apologized for how he handled it, but I don't see how after seeing that he didn't ban him for a year.

Lost a lot of respect for Roger Goodell.  He can't just say "Sorry, I screwed up." and leave it at that.

Yeah, but that just doesn't make sense to me, espeically in light of the NFL's new domestic abuse policy. I suppose it could be a reason, but I tend to disagree with it. People already saw the video in February of him dragging his unconscious wife out of the elevator and most people back then figured he just hauled off and knocked her out. So for those people, what actually happened in the video was pretty much what they already had imagined. I guess what I mean by all that is, there shouldn't be any surprises when you watch the video. It just puts an actual image to what they already believed had happened.

But what they believed, and what actually transpired are two different things. There was talk of her instigating everything, and the way he is so casual about the situation doesn't speak well on Ray.

When video like that is potentially evidence in a case, it isn't typically shown to the public til long afterwards, if ever. I'm not saying this is what happened, but I can't imagine them punishing Ray without having seen this video or knowing of its existence.

The laws hands are tied if she is not willing to press charges.  She did not want to press charges so there is nothing they could do.  They had to just watch this * walk out the door.

Watching the video and you clearly see Rice get in her face and say something before she gives the back handed slap and you can just tell in his walk that he was *.  They get on the elevator and Rice is right there next to her saying something.  She says something back and then he nails her with a jab and that sets her off and she moves towards him aggressively and that is when Rice nails her with the hook and knocks her out.

Glad to see the * cut and hopefully every team passes on him and he can just sit at home. The sad thing he will probably take it out on her when he gets home.

Could be different in New Jersey but where I am from the police can press charges without the consent of the alleged victim.  

I used to work for a DV organization that also runs women's shelters.  I know in Indiana they can press charges even if she says no.

Could be different in New Jersey but where I am from the police can press charges without the consent of the alleged victim.  

I used to work for a DV organization that also runs women's shelters.  I know in Indiana they can press charges even if she says no.

Yeah, I was just gonna say. I don't think the prosecutors were beholden to her.

Rice will sign this year, I bet his agent is already getting calls.

Ehh I don't know, I'm not sure an NFL team would want to go doing that so soon after this came out.  That's just asking for a bitter fan reaction.

The good news is that even if he's signed tomorrow, Rice loses a good deal of money.  

1. The RB market is down.

2. Rice has off the field issues now.

3. Rice's production was down last season anyways.  

Add all that together and if a team signs him it will likely be the vet min with no guaranteed money.

But what they believed, and what actually transpired are two different things. There was talk of her instigating everything, and the way he is so casual about the situation doesn't speak well on Ray.

When video like that is potentially evidence in a case, it isn't typically shown to the public til long afterwards, if ever. I'm not saying this is what happened, but I can't imagine them punishing Ray without having seen this video or knowing of its existence.

It's hard to say one way or the other what the specific reason is for the Ravens.  I still think we can all agree that the original suspension was too light, especially considering the new video.  So whatever the reason, the end result is the appropriate one.

He's suspended indefinitely by the NFL, so that ain't gonna happen.

Wow this stuff happens quick.  I'm just reading on here about the newly released video of Ray Rice punching out his wife and within 20 minutes he's released from the Ravens and suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

Got to hand it to those guys they act quickly.  

Wow this stuff happens quick. I'm just reading on here about the newly released video of Ray Rice punching out his wife and within 20 minutes he's released from the Ravens and suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

Got to hand it to those guys they act quickly.

The video came out early this morning

That very well may be true. I just don't think it's possible to know. I'm not stating it absolutely was an isolated incident and will never happen again. I'm just slow to assume otherwise. I'm generally slow to assume anything, especially when I don't know the people involved. 

Did you watch the video? I never had anything to say about provocation until I saw it.

Yes I watched it (side note I have something called privacy badger in my browser that monitors sites that try to track me across the web. That web site put 270 cookies on my machine so I don't think I'll go there again.)

Anyway I really didn't think she provoked him but to me it really doesn't matter.  I don't care what the ravens or the NFL have to say on this or what kind of a punishment he gets.

I just don't care.

What I do care about is children and that's just my bias.

I don't like trying people by public opinion but in this case, I question their qualification as parents.  I used to work in child welfare and have seen a lot. So, I'm pretty rigid when it comes to the welfare of children.

Both of these adults need help

I still want to know why she married him

Probably to make him look good, and so he can try to save his job. I want to hear the conversation with Rice and the team/ Rice and Roger Goodell that made them come to such decisions. I have to wonder if Goodell really looked at everything now, or simply took Ray Rice's word as to what happened because of her marrying him. The man couldn't have looked at this tape, and gave him only a 2 game suspension. It should have been a year... and if it was up to me he would never play football again.

There are two people whom I fully support their tenures with their sports coming to an end. Those are Bud Selig and Roger Goodell.  At least Silver with the NBA has some guts.

Probably to make him look good, and so he can try to save his job. I want to hear the conversation with Rice and the team/ Rice and Roger Goodell that made them come to such decisions. I have to wonder if Goodell really looked at everything now, or simply took Ray Rice's word as to what happened because of her marrying him. The man couldn't have looked at this tape, and gave him only a 2 game suspension. It should have been a year... and if it was up to me he would never play football again.

There are two people whom I fully support their tenures with their sports coming to an end. Those are Bud Selig and Roger Goodell.  At least Silver with the NBA has some guts.

I wonder if child welfare even bothered looking into it

Really? I hadn't heard that part.

Makes coming back trickier, but he's not out of the league IMO.

He's as out of the league as Michael Vick was. They say he has to apply to be reinstated, at some undetermined point in the future. There's zero chance he plays this season.

I haven't watched and will not watch the video.  I do not enjoy seeing violence in real life or in movies, but I can assume its pretty disturbing.

The problem I have is that soooo many people want to be judge and jury over the discipline of Rice...and also be judge and jury over what Goodell should have done.  Some are even saying that this situation makes Goodell unqualified to be Commissioner.  Really?

I hope that any discipline Rice gets, and any future employment problems he may have, comes from a real jury of his peers....the ones who have access to real evidence, not the ones on the internet.

One conclusion that can definitely be drawn is that Harvey Levin, the founder and CEO of TMZ...is a parasite.

It shouldn't have took this for him to be suspended indefinitely.

He should be in jail right now, if we had tougher laws of course, and actually respect's women's rights enough to punish individuals such as this.

In before the NFL starts another "we don't tolerate this" campaign to try and hide their rampant misogynist values.

Hate to break it to you, but this is the result of NFL culture. When you put these men on pedestals and make them into Gods just cause they play a stupid sport. You cannot convince me that football players don't get away with this kind of stuff (and worse) on their wives/girlfriends, strangers, and whoever else is a poor person. Even worse, people were defending Ray Rice up until today. "She invoked him" no excuse, you're a man and you deck a woman hard enough to put her out, you should be in jail.

Everyone knew that something bad happened in that elevator for him to be dragging her out like that.

$$$$$$$$$$$

Bingo!!!

I won't say she deserved it, that's harsh. 

But there is a reality here, and I won't make any definitive judgements of her. I will, however, remind people that there are plenty of "bad people" in this world, whatever that means to you. Some men are bad people. Some women are bad people. And yes, some women that get beat are bad people too. 

She married him because he's rich as hell. 

She cares far less about this than anyone else here, the NFL, Ray Rice, Roger Goodell, the police or anyone else really, because she got a huge payday for her pride obliterating punch to the face. ...and that's apparently OK with her. 

I don't understand the bolded. First, how do you know that? That seems like conjecture.

Second, how does marrying him or not marrying him relate to pressing charges or not? She could have still pressed charges even if she married him. She didn't have to press charges if she didn't marry him.

Her reasons for doing so? I don't know that anyone claiming to understand her from their spot on the Internet can really say. This is reality TV kind of stuff, IMO. Like watching animals at a zoo. There is a lot about those two people that none of us know. Maybe she shouldn't have married him. I just don't understand why that comes up when we're discussing this. I don't think it belongs. Again, JMO.

By marrying him she was able to claim a spousal privilege where she did not have to testify against him. She said she did not want to press charges.

"If the wife claims a spousal privilege, it is likely that she would not be forced to testify against him," ESPN legal analyst Lester Munson said. "The prosecution would face the prospect of proving the assault without any testimony from the victim. It is possible, but it would be extremely difficult. Unless a prosecutor has a burning desire to become famous in a case involving Rice, the prosecutor may be likely to invest his time in other, more productive activities."

That's different from pressing charges, but thanks for clarifying what you mean. You're saying she didn't want to be used by the prosecutor's office, being compelled to testify against him. And since a spouse can't be forced to testify against their spouse, by marrying him, she can claim spousal privilege. That's fine, and true.

She still could have pressed charges, even married. And she could have chose not to press charges, without marrying him. And she could have declined her cooperation in the event the prosecutor's office did proceed with charges. I was confused what you were getting at.

I wonder if child welfare even bothered looking into it

From what I have seen and read everyone appears to have done all they can to wash their hands of the issue. Goodell screwed up majorly... and the assault charge will be off his record if Mr. Rice completes a few weeks of treatment which is a joke. The odds are this wasn't the first time, and it won't be the last because he is not being held accountable for his actions. 

That's different from pressing charges, but thanks for clarifying what you mean. You're saying she didn't want to be used by the prosecutor's office, being compelled to testify against him. And since a spouse can't be forced to testify against their spouse, by marrying him, she can claim spousal privilege. That's fine, and true.

She still could have pressed charges, even married. And she could have chose not to press charges, without marrying him. And she could have declined her cooperation in the event the prosecutor's office did proceed with charges. I was confused what you were getting at.

Yeah, it was clear she wanted it to go away. I wonder how she feels today notw that he is out of football. You were dead on with your comparison to Mike Vick but I think this might be worse.

Yeah, it was clear she wanted it to go away. I wonder how she feels today notw that he is out of football. You were dead on with your comparison to Mike Vick but I think this might be worse.

I don't think it's worse. This is terrible, but Michael Vick apparently was responsible for the brutal treatment and murder of hundreds of dogs. Planned, deliberate actions, over a sustained period of time. It's possible that there's more to the Ray Rice deal than just one night, but for now, that's all we know. His actions are terrible, but I have Vick's further up the list than Rice, personally. What Vick and his people were doing borders on psychopathic behavior.

I don't think it's worse. This is terrible, but Michael Vick apparently was responsible for the brutal treatment and murder of hundreds of dogs. Planned, deliberate actions, over a sustained period of time. It's possible that there's more to the Ray Rice deal than just one night, but for now, that's all we know. His actions are terrible, but I have Vick's further up the list than Rice, personally. What Vick and his people were doing borders on psychopathic behavior.

I hear you and respect your position. But I put humans above dogs. What Vick did was heinous but Rice is worse to me.

And I think the perception which is what I was really getting at it will be worse. I don't think Rice ever plays football again unlike Vick.

It shouldn't have took this for him to be suspended indefinitely.

He should be in jail right now, if we had tougher laws of course, and actually respect's women's rights enough to punish individuals such as this.

In before the NFL starts another "we don't tolerate this" campaign to try and hide their rampant misogynist values.

Hate to break it to you, but this is the result of NFL culture. When you put these men on pedestals and make them into Gods just cause they play a stupid sport. You cannot convince me that football players don't get away with this kind of stuff (and worse) on their wives/girlfriends, strangers, and whoever else is a poor person. Even worse, people were defending Ray Rice up until today. "She invoked him" no excuse, you're a man and you deck a woman hard enough to put her out, you should be in jail.

Everyone knew that something bad happened in that elevator for him to be dragging her out like that.

I disagree.  This is an unfortunately common occurrence in marital affairs, no matter your profession.  There really isn't any evidence to suggest that the glorification of male athletes results in their misogynistic and violent views toward tehir female counterpart.  That's especially true given the fact that domestic violence is more prevalent in low income households.  The only difference is, it's heavily publicized when it happens to celebrities. 

I hear you and respect your position. But I put humans above dogs. What Vick did was heinous but Rice is worse to me.

And I think the perception which is what I was really getting at it will be worse. I don't think Rice ever plays football again unlike Vick.

I don't know what happens with Rice. A lot of people thought Vick would never play. Don't forget, he did two years in prison. Not just a few months on suspension.

And yeah, I always put humans above dogs. But we're talking about cruel and unusual treatment of hundreds of dogs, including death by drowning, electrocution, and more. Not one incident of violence (that we know of), but a sustained course of action over a long period of time. He bankrolled this cruelty for years. He was present and personally took part in these actions.

JMO. Doesn't matter which is worse. They're both terrible.