Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Wes Welker done? [Merge]

akcolt

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes for me since I drafted him in another league :(

Hopefully, I can ride my depth for however many games he is not there for.

To be honest, if Welker gets another concussion, he may have to seriously think of hanging it up after this year.

Yikes for me since I drafted him in another league :(

Hopefully, I can ride my depth for however many games he is not there for.

To be honest, if Welker gets another concussion, he may have to seriously think of hanging it up after this year.

Those were my thoughts I remember at least 2 last year the last one kept him out for 3 weeks. It was a big hit got Manning's attention he drew a flag over it.

Those were my thoughts I remember at least 2 last year the last one kept him out for 3 weeks. It was a big hit got Manning's attention he drew a flag over it.

Brandon Merriweather and now D.J. Swearinger are now acquiring reputations of pure head hunters that do not make enough plays. Swearinger took out Dustin Keller's knees last year, right? Merriweather had a helmet-to-helmet on Torrey Smith in their pre-season game and on Bernard Pierce too.

Not good. Sad part is, the NFL still hasn't mandated more protective helmets--even though they exist.

Welker wears that 'protective helmet'....They only do so much

the Houston DJ guy targeted his head........no reason for that in a prèseason game..even Seattle didnt do that stuff

This is a major concern with Welker...its going to be hard to count on him being cleared to play all year

they may have to move Sanders to the slot and play Bubba Caldwell or IU's Cody Latimer outside

As usual the Pats made the right move by moving on from a player that had a little less then one good season left. It was only a matter of time before all those hits would catch up with Welker. I am sure he had several concussions when with NE which may help to explain why the drops creeped into this game his last couple of seasons in NE.

The Broncos may regret picking up that second year option that pays Welker more this year (8 mil) than last season (4 mil).

It also doesn't help that Peyton floats passes into the middle of the field, where his receivers are the most defenseless. He's has that rep for years.

..That's the curse of a slot reciever....probably no such thing as 'most defenseless'

...If you use the slot guy a lot as peyton does, he's going to get hit a lot...

Guys go for the head....its what the NFL is trying to stop

It also doesn't help that Peyton floats passes into the middle of the field, where his receivers are the most defenseless. He's has that rep for years.

This pass and Collie's first concussion were both passes that Welker and Collie had time to take a couple of steps. Welker lowered his head and Swearinger lowered his shoulder but since Welker stands much lower and his head was in the way, Swearinger did not care and went ahead with that angle anyway.

Earlier in his career, with Dallas Clark and Stokely, yes, Peyton did not do as good a job but the last 8 or 9 years, from my recollection, he has done a better job than in years past. However, being a slot wideout, you have LBs and safeties that are bigger bodies doling out the hits. That is just how it is.

That's a fair point....if I remember right Dallas Clark got waffled pretty good a couple of times.

Guys like Swearinger and others live for these nasty intimidation hits...and those routes over the middle can put a WR right in their cross hairs.

Peyton Manning can process a LOT of information....but knowing the closing angle of some of these head hunter safeties as the play develops is asking alot.

I'm guessing Swearinger will be fined for this....but it doesn't matter...he's achieved the desired effect and seeing some "alligator arms" from some WRs versus the Texans won't be terribly surprising.

Yeah, I'm sure he and everyone else is concerned, and rightfully so. But let's not end his career on a message board. JMO

Why? We discuss everything up here. And it is not just the concussions but his age also and the frequencies of the concussions from mid-season last year to now to the point that he is in a padded helmet and still got concussed.

Why? We discuss everything up here. And it is not just the concussions but his age also and the frequencies of the concussions from mid-season last year to now to the point that he is in a padded helmet and still got concussed.

I'm personally always hesitant to diagnose a concussion or the severity of a concussion from my couch. I cringe when people on the Internet make a determination about whether a player should continue playing football because of concussions. That's just my opinion. I think it's up to the player, based on the advice from doctors who know what they're talking about.

We had a lot of this when Austin Collie was still here. It just rubs me the wrong way.

I'm personally always hesitant to diagnose a concussion or the severity of a concussion from my couch. I cringe when people on the Internet make a determination about whether a player should continue playing football because of concussions. That's just my opinion. I think it's up to the player, based on the advice from doctors who know what they're talking about.

We had a lot of this when Austin Collie was still here. It just rubs me the wrong way.

I get that but the OP was just asking the question. He was not saying Welker should retire. I think it is fair like I said given the number of concussions he has suffered recently and his age.

I am not coming from an "normal" fan

Due to my condition I had to wear "special" helmets to avoid concussions

I get that but the OP was just asking the question. He was not saying Welker should retire. I think it is fair like I said given the number of concussions he has suffered recently and his age.

Is it you're actually concerned, or is it because you want him to be done to say "Hey look the Patriots were right."

Welker has always been a frail guy, in terms of injuries. Elway 's Steinbrenner- like Broncos better win soon, because the salary cap piper will soon be calling.

Not at all. No hamstrings etc. He's just been whacked a lot the last few years. The season he caught 100+ passes and almost as many the next with NE really hammered him with vicious hits.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 25, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, August 25, 2014 - personal shot

Your football IQ is off the roof. Below video is a sample and a tribute to you. Recollect the QB name?.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 25, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, August 25, 2014 - personal shot

Is it you're actually concerned, or is it because you want him to be done to say "Hey look the Patriots were right."

Thats her style. Anyone who leaves patriots are garbage. Its a pattern, watch it. They are genius till they are with Patriots.

So Is Manning the only QB who throws passes over the middle or is it just you need something to be negative about in regards to Manning? As always you never miss an opportunity to get a dig in on the Colts and now ex Colts.

The Patriots were right. I think that is obvious. But, no, I don't want him to be done. I never wish for a player's career to end on anything but their own terms. But I also don't think concussions are something to mess with when your 33 and at the twilight of your career.

Thats her style. Anyone who leaves patriots are garbage. Its a pattern, watch it. They are genius till they are with Patriots.

lol. Not too many players that have left the Pats have gone on to great careers after. Just a handful. And I have never referred to a player as garbage.