Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 struggles against Ravens

The Old Crow

Was at the game last night , and RG3 looked rough. He was uncomfortable in the pocket, under threw passes, could not outrun pursuit , and was generally ineffective. This was against a Ravens defense that had both it's starting cornerbacks out. Flacco looked great, especially in hooking up six times to Steve Smith. It's all pre season, but the Redskins have to be concerned.

Was at the game last night , and RG3 looked rough. He was uncomfortable in the pocket, under threw passes, could not outrun pursuit , and was generally ineffective. This was against a Ravens defense that had both it's starting cornerbacks out. Flacco looked great, especially in hooking up six times to Steve Smith. It's all pre season, but the Redskins have to be concerned.

Its a little sad, although its hard to feel sorry for Robert..

..but he's just not comfortable in the pocket...great arm..fine recivers but he's one of those 'make something happen with his legs' guys and they all struggle

Luck looked rough as well.

I like RG3. I met the guy, and trust me, he is one of the nicest guys around. The offense Gruden had put forth, doesn't seem to fit him.

I would be worried less about Luck, as he is a classic pocket quarterback. The key for RG 3 and Kaepernick, is adjusting to being a pocket quarterback not as reliant on your legs.

Cousins looked much better. I don't think RG 3 is a pocket quarterback, and that's how they are playing him. One could only hope the ESPN led hype would end one day .

What??!!

This is clearly the result of Daniel Snyder's unwillingness to change the Redskins name.

It can't possibly be due to shortcomings of Robert Griffin the 3rd....can it?

What??!!

This is clearly the result of Daniel Snyder's unwillingness to change the Redskins name.

It can't possibly be due to shortcomings of Robert Griffin the 3rd....can it?[/

I find the Redskins flap amusing mainly because Dan Synder is a goofball , not even counting all the Redskins PC stuff.

He has plenty of technical flaws that people overlooked for 2 full years just because he was exciting to watch. It's Vick all over again. He is inaccurate, makes bad decisions, and has awful pocket presence. On top of not being a good QB he isn't a leader and is a me first kind of guy who doesn't have his locker room.

Harsh I know but those are his flaws and always have been, I've said this since he was at Baylor.

I find the Redskins flap amusing mainly because Dan Synder is a goofball , not even counting all the Redskins PC stuff.

Without question...Snyder is a huge part of the problem.

In addition to the many "golden parachute" contracts he gave washed up free agents over the years....it was fairly predictable that the Mike Shanahan hiring would end badly, considering the megalomaniac that Shanahan is said to be.

But it's a tough spot for RGIII having to strike the balance between having the confidence and leadership expected of a starting QB, and at the same time managing the ridiculous hype surrounding him since before draft day 2012....which damn near had fans anticipating trumpet sounds from heaven and prophesies from the streets of Jerusalem as Roger Goodell announced his name.

All of it after Griffin played out of a nearly crayon-drawn Baylor offensive playbook that did little for his growth as an NFL passer.

I don't dislike RGIII or enjoy watching him struggle....but I did think he'd be a very high injury risk and probably fail to meet those lofty expectations in the NFL. And with Cousins showing some pretty solid play....it could very well be a make or break year for Griffin, given the ransom they paid to draft him.

Daniel Snyder certainly isn't known for his patience.

It'll probably be the Eagles, but the Redskins could make some noise if the Jay Gruden thing works out. They will only go as far as RG3 will take them though.

Yeah the Eagles offense should be scary good. The Redskins offense should be good too and as long as Griffin holds up I think they can be the ones to dethrone Philly.

I like RG3. I met the guy, and trust me, he is one of the nicest guys around. The offense Gruden had put forth, doesn't seem to fit him.

OK but Shanahan's offense didn't fit him...Gruden's offense didn't fit him....

He's comfortable making plays on the fly....and the NFL is a 'No Fly' zone for QBs

He has plenty of technical flaws that people overlooked for 2 full years just because he was exciting to watch. It's Vick all over again. He is inaccurate, makes bad decisions, and has awful pocket presence. On top of not being a good QB he isn't a leader and is a me first kind of guy who doesn't have his locker room.

Harsh I know but those are his flaws and always have been, I've said this since he was at Baylor.

This is the truth right here

Please forward this email to Skip Bayless

All of the same flaws Johhny Manziel has he is gonna be a repeat of RG3 but how dare you say anything about those 2 they are darlings to everyone

I think his accuracy is much better at this point in his career than Vick's was, but the other issues are similar. So far, Griffin has been limited to a one-read, half-field QB, and good defenses thrive on that.

I can't really disagree with anything you guys have said. You have bad ownership, a questionable coaching hire, a scrambling style quarterback in a league where you need to stay in the pocket. I also like Cousins. If you have a team that needs a quarterback and can get him for a second or third, it could be a good pick up. Like I said Robert is a nice guy, but as a QB he has to work out the flaws.

I can't really disagree with anything you guys have said. You have bad ownership, a questionable coaching hire, a scrambling style quarterback in a league where you need to stay in the pocket. I also like Cousins. If you have a team that needs a quarterback and can get him for a second or third, it could be a good pick up. Like I said Robert is a nice guy, but as a QB he has to work out the flaws.

I thought the browns should have traded for him

Its a little sad, although its hard to feel sorry for Robert..

..but he's just not comfortable in the pocket...great arm..fine recivers but he's one of those 'make something happen with his legs' guys and they all struggle

Cam Newton seems to be doing just fine with his pocket passing

Teddy Bridgewater too (From what little we've seen)

Griffin is in his own category

Cam Newton seems to be doing just fine with his pocket passing

Teddy Bridgewater too (From what little we've seen)

Griffin is in his own category

Bridgewater was never, ever a "make something happen with your legs" QB. 

Yeah and your team SHOULD have drafted him i respect you fans if I was you guys I'd freaking riot after the stupid crap they pull year after year

I don't disagree, I wanedt Bridgewater. I am on record on this board as saying I would have taken him at #4 overall. I wanted him or Manziel. Bridgewater would be a starter right now, but Manziel does have more "upside" and the draft is one big "upside" hype machine.

We'll see in the next three years.

I don't disagree, I wanedt Bridgewater. I am on record on this board as saying I would have taken him at #4 overall. I wanted him or Manziel. Bridgewater would be a starter right now, but Manziel does have more "upside" and the draft is one big "upside" hype machine.

We'll see in the next three years.

I think you guys got suckered into RG3 #2 I do remember you wanting teddy and I don't blame you

I think you guys got suckered into RG3 #2 I do remember you wanting teddy and I don't blame you

I wouldn't say suckered. We didn't spend 3 first round picks on him. We had two first round picks in this draft and I think he is going to be good still. He is drowning in the playbook at the moment but he showed marked improvement last week. 

Watching the Seahawks/Bears game out of the corner of my eye now, but I keep seeing Russell Wilson scramble without getting hit. A TD, a run for a first and out of bounds, etc.... There's nothing wrong with a QB who runs and scrambles, but there's a smart way to do it, and a not so smart way to do it. 

Watching the Seahawks/Bears game out of the corner of my eye now, but I keep seeing Russell Wilson scramble without getting hit. A TD, a run for a first and out of bounds, etc.... There's nothing wrong with a QB who runs and scrambles, but there's a smart way to do it, and a not so smart way to do it. 

I am a big fan of Wilson. Just love his game and how heady he is.