Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 struggles against Ravens

The Old Crow

I wouldn't say suckered. We didn't spend 3 first round picks on him. We had two first round picks in this draft and I think he is going to be good still. He is drowning in the playbook at the moment but he showed marked improvement last week.

Yeah but one thing that might kill you guys is his inability to not take contact like RG3 he is smaller then most and taking too much contact at the big boy level will get him hurt fast

Watching the Seahawks/Bears game out of the corner of my eye now, but I keep seeing Russell Wilson scramble without getting hit. A TD, a run for a first and out of bounds, etc.... There's nothing wrong with a QB who runs and scrambles, but there's a smart way to do it, and a not so smart way to do it.

Exactly Luck and Wilson scramble all the time but they are smart about it they use the sideline and slide all the time RG lowers his shoulder and takes the D in himself not smart

Yeah but one thing that might kill you guys is his inability to not take contact like RG3 he is smaller then most and taking too much contact at the big boy level will get him hurt fast

Long term that is absolutely going to be a concern, however....Manziel never missed a game in college and RG III had major knee surgery in college. 

I think you guys got suckered into RG3 #2 I do remember you wanting teddy and I don't blame you

I think they got worse then RG3.  RG3 may be a prima-donna but he also has at least a little bit of self control.  You probably wouldn't see RG3 flipping off opposing team's fans.

To me Johnny Manziel is a prima-donna that also lacks self control. 

The worst part about all of it is that while RG3 was pretty good about hiding his inner prima-donna up until his 2nd season, Manziel never hid it at all.  That bit was out in the open for everyone to see.

Luck looked rough as well.

To be fair that is true. . . However Luck doesn't have as much to prove so it's less troubling. . . RG3 just finished up a pretty bad season that was blamed on his injury and recovery.  He's now proclaimed himself fully recovered and if he can't play at a high level then it's questionable as to if he'll ever be a good starter in this league.

Luck's last season was good, so few people are going to worry about a single bad pre-season showing.

I think they got worse then RG3. RG3 may be a prima-donna but he also has at least a little bit of self control. You probably wouldn't see RG3 flipping off opposing team's fans.

To me Johnny Manziel is a prima-donna that also lacks self control.

The worst part about all of it is that while RG3 was pretty good about hiding his inner prima-donna up until his 2nd season, Manziel never hid it at all. That bit was out in the open for everyone to see.

I agree I think he is worse then RG3 as well

I remember Warner was saying that whoever the new Redskins coach would be, that there might be a chance that maybe they like a QB more in the style of Kurt Cousins. Now that RGIII, isn't being spoon fed a "Babys 1st Playbook: Baylor Edition" offense, I think his true skills will come to light. He's a highlight reel player who really can't survive in the NFL because he's a running QB. His first instinct is to run, his legs are more dangerous than his arm, and he can't keep himself healthy. 

It's going to be an even worse story for Johnny Manziel though, who isn't even half as dynamic as RGIII. From purely a passing standpoint, Manziel is the definition of a mediocre NFL QB, whereas RGIII actually has some arm talent.

I have not been a fan of the Gruden signing at all. I think RG may continue to regress. As bad as Shanny and his brother were, they developed a very good offense around RG. I don't have faith that Gruden can do the same. I guess time will tell.

RGIII will continue to regress as long as he pays more attention to his social media and not his football skills. He says he is not going to change the way he plays. If that's the case he will be non stop injury for him. I tend to also agree with the Gruden signing as I believe both Grudens are way over rated. JMO.

I remember Warner was saying that whoever the new Redskins coach would be, that there might be a chance that maybe they like a QB more in the style of Kurt Cousins. Now that RGIII, isn't being spoon fed a "Babys 1st Playbook: Baylor Edition" offense, I think his true skills will come to light. He's a highlight reel player who really can't survive in the NFL because he's a running QB. His first instinct is to run, his legs are more dangerous than his arm, and he can't keep himself healthy. 

It's going to be an even worse story for Johnny Manziel though, who isn't even half as dynamic as RGIII. From purely a passing standpoint, Manziel is the definition of a mediocre NFL QB, whereas RGIII actually has some arm talent.

Except for the part where Manziel has never been hurt and is a smarter more cerebral QB.

Except for the part where Manziel has never been hurt and is a smarter more cerebral QB.

I dont think Manziel is the poster boy for smarter more cerebral qbs. He is still struggling to comprehend the playbook. The same playbook Bob had his rookie season

I dont think Manziel is the poster boy for smarter more cerebral qbs. He is still struggling to comprehend the playbook. The same playbook Bob had his rookie season

He scored a 32 on the wonderlic, Bob scored  24. 

He's anything but cerebral. And his tendency to run is even worse than RGIII's.  He hasn't made any impressive plays with his arm (although neither has Hoyer for that matter) and he hasn't shown that he is going to be even a quarter of the game breaking QB that he was in college where he played on instincts alone.

He's anything but cerebral. And his tendency to run is even worse than RGIII's.  He hasn't made any impressive plays with his arm (although neither has Hoyer for that matter) and he hasn't shown that he is going to be even a quarter of the game breaking QB that he was in college where he played on instincts alone.

Has he been lost in the playbook yes.

Has he looked great, no. 

Has he made plays with his arm, yes. He's had a couple of drops and a pass interference call that would have been a touchdown.  He's not terrible despite that with 57% completions. 

He is smarter than RG III in his ability to process information quickly. Eventually (hopefully) he will catch up on terminology and the playbook. His tendency to run is because he just isn't ready. 

He also has a few things working against him, our depth at offensive line has been terrible. Our WR's might be the worst group in the entire NFL, we're 31st in rushing. 

He is smarter than RG III and I think he will be good, but he is clearly not ready, which is why he isn't starting. 

Has he looked great, no. 

Has he made plays with his arm, yes. He's had a couple of drops and a pass interference call that would have been a touchdown.  He's not terrible despite that with 57% completions. 

He is smarter than RG III in his ability to process information quickly. Eventually (hopefully) he will catch up on terminology and the playbook. His tendency to run is because he just isn't ready. 

He also has a few things working against him, our depth at offensive line has been terrible. Our WR's might be the worst group in the entire NFL, we're 31st in rushing. 

He is smarter than RG III and I think he will be good, but he is clearly not ready, which is why he isn't starting. 

The key word there is good. He got over-drafted an over-hyped because he was a game breaker in college with ridiculous stats and plays that generated a lot of excitement. With all you're saying about how he'll learn over time, the pick is a waste because he'll basically just be good, not amazing. And a "good" version of Johnny Manziel, is probably on the same level as a Matt Schaub, Geno Smith, or maybe Dalton as his ceiling. The truth is that the team drafted him because they thought they would get Johnny Football, but from what it looks like all they're going to get is Johnny Manziel. It's a wasted 1st round pick.

The key word there is good. He got over-drafted an over-hyped because he was a game breaker in college with ridiculous stats and plays that generated a lot of excitement. With all you're saying about how he'll learn over time, the pick is a waste because he'll basically just be good, not amazing. And a "good" version of Johnny Manziel, is probably on the same level as a Matt Schaub, Geno Smith, or maybe Dalton as his ceiling. The truth is that the team drafted him because they thought they would get Johnny Football, but from what it looks like all they're going to get is Johnny Manziel. It's a wasted 1st round pick.

It's a wasted first round pick? He hasn't played one snap in the regular season, are you serious? 

Has he looked great, no.

Has he made plays with his arm, yes. He's had a couple of drops and a pass interference call that would have been a touchdown. He's not terrible despite that with 57% completions.

I don't think Bob is that bright, but you can't point to wonderlic scores to say he is smarter. He clearly hasn't shown his smarts thus far.

Give examples of "clearly" not showing smarts.

flipping off the opposing sideline, telling the owner of the team he isn't going to tone it down.. Vacationing in Vegas while reading the playbook on a third grade level. Selling autographs in college, being photographed rolling bills in a bathroom, not knowing how to slide, flashing the money sign even though it's clear he sucks. All of these things and more point to him not being the brightest guy. Definitely not the guy i would want qbing my team. But that's just me

flipping off the opposing sideline, telling the owner of the team he isn't going to tone it down.. Vacationing in Vegas while reading the playbook on a third grade level. Selling autographs in college, being photographed rolling bills in a bathroom, not knowing how to slide, flashing the money sign even though it's clear he sucks. All of these things and more point to him not being the brightest guy. Definitely not the guy i would want qbing my team. But that's just me

Everything you just listed has no relevance to a persons intelligence level.

Maturity, sure, Intelligence no. 

Struggling to learn a playbook on an embarrassing level?

I'll pass on Johnny.

By the coaches account, Manziel is actually further than they thought he would be. 

I genuinely do not care that you'll pass on him.

Bob started the season using Shanahans offense. I guess Johnny isn't as cerebral as you claim

Two entirely different scenarios. Two entirely different players. Two entirely different franchises.

It just shows how cerebral you are that you are comparing apples and oranges. 

It's a wasted first round pick? He hasn't played one snap in the regular season, are you serious? 

I'm saying "if". And it's already trending it that direction. If he's anything less than the "Charismatic QB who beat Alabama" then it's a wasted draft pick. And more than likely it is because, everyone knew his game wouldn't translate to the NFL.

Through all of the RG3 hype from his combine 40 time until the playoff game his rookie year....did any analyst ever mention his extremely slow release? He actually has to wind up his arm, then throws.

I always thought that a quick release is one of the things QB scouts looked for in a first round QB prospect...and for some reason...they chose to focus on 40 time.

He had mediocre written all over him before he was even drafted, and still, Washington gave up their entire draft to get this one guy. Outside of one weapon on offense, who is going to protect him? And he still insists on running around, it's a wonder he's not seriously injured yet.

For him to become a backup is going to really make that draft trade to the Rams look very bad.

Thanks Washington for out doing Mike Ditka giving my team's entire draft up for Ricky Williams....who also was a disappointment.

Dan Marino scored a 15 Ryan Fitzpatrick a 48. Pretty meaningless if you can't play

You cant compare the old guys like Marino to those coming out today. Today they prepare them in advance so much more than they used to. By the time you take the wonderlic, you should have had enough example questions that one of the example questions might even pop up on the real exam. Any top prospect of the current generation, who gets below a 20 should be really embarassed