Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Film Room: Trent Richardson

Dustin

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice read still wont matter people will either blame him or not am giving him one more chance 

A lot of people use the eye test and no stats will convince them otherwise. Stats aren't always the end all be all in football.

Great article. Anyone dissing that article would appear to not be comfortable letting go of their disappointment. But I will agree with the eye test comment.....my eyes told me the line could not open a hole on an obvious run down play to save their life. 

If Brent Kollman says so....

Well, for whatever my opinion is worth, he contributes a lot to /r/nfl and is generally one of the most in depths analysts I've come across. Plus, I believe he works for nfl network.

But if Thornton is still our starting guard and continues to make mistakes, our OL can only be as good as the weakest link.

All this article tells me is that our OL stunk and Trent Richardson is not AS BAD as he was portrayed to be. However, like Superman said, the sample space used was smaller as a percentage of Trent's carries. Plus, that San Diego front did come along well as the year went on and even held the Broncos to something like 17 yards on 10 carries in that Thursday night game later that year. A little more sample space of carries vs middle of the road fronts to see if yards were left on the field would have been good to see as well.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle but just by being in the middle, it definitely justifies giving Trent a clean slate to make his mark this year.

The problem was both, The O Line just stunk all to hell run blocking a large chunk of the time but Richardson also missed holes by not being patient(The adage slow to the hole fast through the hole) and running up the back of some players or going to where the hole is supposed to be open INSTEAD of going to where a hole actually IS open...That's called vision....It needs to improve as well

But if Thornton is still our starting guard and continues to make mistakes, our OL can only be as good as the weakest link.

All this article tells me is that our OL stunk and Trent Richardson is not AS BAD as he was portrayed to be. However, like Superman said, the sample space used was smaller as a percentage of Trent's carries. Plus, that San Diego front did come along well as the year went on and even held the Broncos to something like 17 yards on 10 carries in that Thursday night game later that year. A little more sample space of carries vs middle of the road fronts to see if yards were left on the field would have been good to see as well.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle but just by being in the middle, it definitely justifies giving Trent a clean slate to make his mark this year.

I think Thornton is as physically gifted as any guard in the NFL. He does make mistakes, but that's common for any rookie guard. Thornton is relatively new to football, so he needs coaching. I believe in his ability to play better as he gets more experience.

As for the smaller sample size, I understand that you can get a nice idea of what's happening without watching every play. But the premise in the article is that Richardson's problems were ALL about the blocking, and that's impossible to verify without watching EVERY play. The truth is that Richardson made plenty of mistakes himself last year. Even some of the plays the article breaks down, Richardson messed up by cutting back when he should have stayed moving forward playside. These are nitpicks; it's obvious that he was betrayed by poor blocking all year, but some of it was his fault.

I really liked that the author broke down Donald Brown's success. A lot of nickel and dime fronts, a lot of big chunks, but the majority of his damage came as the change back. Most of his carries, however, were statistically unimpressive. 

The other thing that stood out is that Richardson's athletic ability is considerable. A lot of the wiggles and shakes, and carrying tacklers, etc., made short gains out of what should have been losses. 

I don't think he'll ever live up to being the third overall pick, and I definitely don't think we should have given up a first rounder for him. But he can still be a productive back, much more productive than he was last year. We've got to get that line fixed, though.

I won't spew "Trent hate". But Donald Brown managed to move the ball forward behind the same O-Line. That fumble in the KC game was inexcusable. The eye test works just fine here. He wasn't good last year. It can be different this year. 

Some good breakdowns and explanations.  I can't wait to finish it.  So far though, I think my favorite line in the piece is this,

The only way Coby Fleener could have screwed Richardson any harder would have been to just make the tackle himself.

That just cracked me up.

That was a heck of a write up, i also love when they include gif's it actually allows you to visualize and put the writers words into fruition. with that being said. as we all saw the line was god awful i think a year in the back and T-Rich breaks out this year.

Yes our Ol sucks but honestly I still have my doubts about Richardson. my take of him

Postives

Strong, good short yardage back!

Good at catching the ball

Very good blocker

Doesn't go down easily

Negatives

Bad vision

He is a POWER BACK hit the hole, to much dancing looking for the BIG RUN, He should watch Ballard run!

Slow no burst

no speed outside

to fancy with moves he doesn't posses

Just my opinion we will see. I personal would not call Richardson a beast though? I would like to be wrong though!

Great article. Anyone dissing that article would appear to not be comfortable letting go of their disappointment. But I will agree with the eye test comment.....my eyes told me the line could not open a hole on an obvious run down play to save their life.

Even though All 22 Films proves otherwise time and time again?

Yes our Ol sucks but honestly I still have my doubts about Richardson. my take of him

Postives

Strong, good short yardage back!

Good at catching the ball

Very good blocker

Doesn't go down easily

Negatives

Bad vision

He is a POWER BACK hit the hole, to much dancing looking for the BIG RUN, He should watch Ballard run!

Slow no burst

no speed outside

to fancy with moves he doesn't posses

Just my opinion we will see. I personal would not call Richardson a beast though? I would to be wrong though!

This article speaks to the bad vision and no burst criticisms. Really calls them into question, IMO, because a lot of the plays where it looked like Richardson made a mistake, there wasn't a lot of opportunity for him to do anything else. And no burst is hard to agree with, because he had few opportunities to show any burst.

He was slow to the outside, but he shouldn't have had to try the outside nearly as often as he did. 

I wouldn't call him a beast, either. I think he's physically gifted, but he's not so imposing that defenses should be worried when he's in the backfield. 

The problem was both, The O Line just stunk all to hell run blocking a large chunk of the time but Richardson also missed holes by not being patient(The adage slow to the hole fast through the hole) and running up the back of some players or going to where the hole is supposed to be open INSTEAD of going to where a hole actually IS open...That's called vision....It needs to improve as well

Vision relies on the assumption that your linemen can block. If you wait for the hole to actually exist it's often too late.

I won't spew "Trent hate". But Donald Brown managed to move the ball forward behind the same O-Line. That fumble in the KC game was inexcusable. The eye test works just fine here. He wasn't good last year. It can be different this year. 

There's a certain amount of irony in your post. Brown fumbled in the KC game as well.

And the article mentions specifically the idea that Brown was able to move he ball behind the same o-line. It's true, but that statement doesn't acknowledge the different roles and the different circumstances for the two plays. In reality, while Brown had a little more success and popped more big plays, Brown also struggled with base run plays.

Que the Richardson haters in 3,2,1. . .

I think the author makes a great point and yet I like how he was brought up the Donald Brown Stats and how if he was used as more of a workhorse, his stats were below Richardson's.

Here's the most important aspect of the whole equation.  We know will have 3 competent backs, and an improved offensive line.  Richardson may still get the lions share of reps, but if our line is even just average you will see a whole new ground game.

Well, for whatever my opinion is worth, he contributes a lot to /r/nfl and is generally one of the most in depths analysts I've come across. Plus, I believe he works for nfl network.

Oh, his profile on the site didn't say anything other than the number of posts he had on the site.....figured it was just a fan blog.

Vision relies on the assumption that your linemen can block. If you wait for the hole to actually exist it's often too late.

That's why you press the hole that the designed run is supposed go to, If the hole that's designed to be open isn't there within 2 yards(for example) of you being where the hole is designed to be open then you find another hole or get what you can, That's the vision Im talking about

At some point, the discussion might move on from OL personnel to OL coaching. The fact that the OL is still gelling can be an excuse for only so long.

Another really good point. The lack of attention to detail and missed assignments on the backside of some of these plays was troubling. On one play, we completely failed to account for the LB on playside. That has to be fixed by the QB, but it also needs to be a point of emphasis in the meeting rooms.

That's why you press the hole that the designed run is supposed go to, If the hole that's designed to be open isn't there within 2 yards(for example) of you being where the hole is designed to be open then you find another hole or get what you can, That's the vision Im talking about

That doesn't work if there isn't another hole.

Yeah because that makes sense. You've outdone yourself again.

Do you have any idea what im taking about? If the person giving the "eye test" doesn't know the responsibilities of everyone on a play, it's just as bad as relying in nothing but stats

A lot of people use the eye test and no stats will convince them otherwise. Stats aren't always the end all be all in football.

Nope, stats are not the end all be all.  But, as is proven on this forum and other football forums I've read, a majority of fans don't really know what they are looking at, so the eyeball test is not that reliable.

Ok i`m here. I watched every play. Rich too often did stink!

And of course the line stank too. Castonzo`s run blocking took a step back last season but i think he had a healthy off-season and said he was working really hard, and Cherilus was very average, and the other 3 were BAD BAD BAD.
 Havili might get replaced.  We should be Much better inside, and yes they SHOULD need a little experience together to get there, but with Allen back and Doyle & Fleener a little improved Richardson just might make a Good name for himself.
  Most here would like that. ;-)

Do you have any idea what im taking about? If the person giving the "eye test" doesn't know the responsibilities of everyone on a play, it's just as bad as relying in nothing but stats

The casual fan doesn't know but there are a few former players here and even people that didn't play who can see the assignments and know that Rich still didn't do what was expected of him on a given play. I know not everyone understands the game and I do get what you were saying now.

At some point, the discussion might move on from OL personnel to OL coaching. The fact that the OL is still gelling can be an excuse for only so long.

I agree with that Chad. Blocking scheme issues???  I often saw plays where guys were asked to move farther than what they were Able to do to make blocks.

The D lineman read it and got penetration before our guys could get ANY possible leverage!!

Houston we have a ... er, we may have a problem with Houston!

Nope, stats are not the end all be all. But, as is proven on this forum and other football forums I've read, a majority of fans don't really know what they are looking at, so the eyeball test is not that reliable.

True. But there have been analysts in this situation in particular who are baffled as to how Trent took a nosedive in this offense. There are others who say that it is because he was thrown into a new offense unexpectedly and still others (Jim Brown) who said that he was nothing special in the first place when he was drafted. I guess we will see this season whose eyeballs work best lol.

Chose not to read the piece, just gonna go head & say this

Negativity has been surrounding the Colt's since Andrew came to town. All the media doubts us, etc etc. The Colt's are that little fly in your house that you can't get rid of so you learn to cope with it until it's ready to leave under it's own will

:colts: