Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

moncrief-some praise for our new wr

CR91

TY yes, sure thats one.

Donte Moncrief hasnt even played a single NFL down yet and therefore cannot be taken for granted as a sure thing.

Nicks might not even be here after next season if he plays crap;.... equally so if he plays extremely well and demands too much $.

Rogers is by no means a sure thing to be a great starter, the potential is there but he still has a long way to go... Even if he and Nicks stay around they dont possess the same skill set that Whalen does (possession/chain mover in the slot).

Allen and Fleener are TE's so not really up for discussion here. Im talking WR spots. So far we have TY as a lock for the future because he is proven... literally all the other WR's have question marks surrounding them for one reason or another... Not saying they wont play great and develop into great players, but we cant know that yet...

Ergo... if Reggie retires... then what...

When did TE's stop counting? Fleener and Allen will be monsters when put in passing situations. Most teams aren't as fortunate as the Colts to have a few young guys with really good potential.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moncrief was a 3rd round pick, he's a lock to make the roster, as well as a lock as a future starter. I think Rodgers is a lock for the future if he can beat out the other too because his playmaking ability is unreal. Brazil is just a substitute for Hilton, whereas Whalen actually has a unique skillset as a procession receiver. With the way the roster is set up, we'll have enough threats on the outside and guys who can stretch the field. Whalen is who we need. His ceiling is Wes Welker and his floor is Austin Collie.

Moncrief was a 3rd round pick, he's a lock to make the roster, as well as a lock as a future starter. I think Rodgers is a lock for the future if he can beat out the other too because his playmaking ability is unreal. Brazil is just a substitute for Hilton, whereas Whalen actually has a unique skillset as a procession receiver. With the way the roster is set up, we'll have enough threats on the outside and guys who can stretch the field. Whalen is who we need. His ceiling is Wes Welker and his floor is Austin Collie.

That's a kind floor. I'd say his floor is closer to Blair White. I want to believe, though.

Hey COLTS Fans - 

I get SO sick of hearing about it. PLEASE don't throw Reggie under the bus. He, like Adrian Peterson, could come back as solid and as quick as ever. He really could. Everyone is SO SURE that he is on his way to retirement. I disagree - look at Jerry Rice - if anyone could stick around in this league it is Reggie - and he may have multiple years left. The guy works out like superman and don't sell him short - he may NOT be a step slow - give him the benefit of the doubt - we owe him that much. It doesn't wear well on you - especially if you are a dedicated hard-core fan.

I have posted these type of remarks before - only to be told - I am not a realist and that Reggie is getting old  on and on. You CAN and MIGHT just be wrong. It's that simple.

Be respectful. Reggie deserves an open mind and an open heart from all of us. He has more than earned it.

ColtsHappy

That's a kind floor. I'd say his floor is closer to Blair White. I want to believe, though.

Blair just had good hands and was a product of the system. Whalen, actually has a fair amount of skill. He's not an elite slot guy, but he's a chain mover.

I am not sure what gives Roger's the inside track over Brazil or Whalen. One good game and a big catch in the playoffs. I know the upside and all that I also remember some dropped balls.

Brazil had the best game out of any of them in playoffs. Whalen had the best overall stats. Brazil and Whalen both have PR history and Brazil KR as well. I would suggest a very strong camp for Mr. Rogers those three could be battling for one slot

The fact is Rogers has all the physical tools to be a top 3 receiver in the NFL, and neither Brazill or Whalen do. 

I agree, a  very potentially potent O....   

BUT OL has got to block or it will be 2 step drops and dump offs and slants with AL running for his life.

Fleener also smokes them all the time deep. Maybe with more time to look Andrew will see him AND get the ball there in time.

Having another speedy deep threat that can Catch is a big plus.

Can you imagine when we do get our ground game going the pressure that will be on the corners and safeties. uhhhhhh eeeeee!! It`s coming.
 I will Enjoy the Journey but where we are at in December.... is what i most look forward to. Go Colts!

As long as they're healthy, both of the TEs will see the field more than Whalen ever will. I think we can call that an educated guess, rather than an assumption.

I think you're putting way too much stock in Whalen. When Reggie does leave I highly doubt Whalen will be the player we are looking to for help. If Whalen even stick on the squad he will be the 5th or 6th WR and won't see much action at all. I also think it's safe to assume that one or more of Nicks, Moncrief, Rogers, and/or Brazill will be able to help fill Reggie's void, certainly more so than one, Griff Whalen.

Referring to Nicks, I didn't say A) and B): Do I believe Nicks will be back in top form? Yes. Do I believe he will be back as a Colt next year? I hope so. As for Reggie coming back for a 2nd year, that's just my gut feeling. I think if he worked this hard to be back for the season he's going to want another season if he can still play like he was last year prior to the injury. I'm certainly not taking it for granted that he'll be here 2 more years.

My original point in response to your "what then?" post, was that all of those guys; Nicks, Moncrief, Rogers, Brazill, Allen, and Fleener have a much better chance and/or are much more viable candidates to help fill Reggie's void than Whalen. 

We are getting a bit off topic to what the original question was here....

I never said Whalen is the answer to when Reggie retires, I merely stated that Whalen is the only other WR on the roster that possesses the skill set to play as well as he does in the slot. TY is great in the slot but to put him there exclusively would be a waste of his talent. 

The original question was who would you keep, Brazill or Whalen... and i think Whalen is more unique than Brazill... I know that Moncrief/Rogers/Nicks/TY will pick up Reggies slack when he goes, but Whalen is more valuable, in my humble opinion, to us than Brazill is because of the skill set each possesses.

And I know that Allen and Fleener will see the field as much as possible, but like i said, they cant both be out there 100% of the plays, they are only human.

When did TE's stop counting? Fleener and Allen will be monsters when put in passing situations. Most teams aren't as fortunate as the Colts to have a few young guys with really good potential.

I refer you to my two previous posts

Wayne is great in traffic and a great chain mover/possession receiver.  If Wayne is on the field and close to 100%, there is no need for Whalen.  Brazzill, Rogers, and Moncrief all have much greater big-play potential, more ability to stretch the field, more ability to create space for Wayne and our TE's to be great possession receivers, and I think Rogers actually has pretty good potential as a possession type of receiver. 

And what about when Reggie retires?

As long as they're healthy, both of the TEs will see the field more than Whalen ever will. I think we can call that an educated guess, rather than an assumption.

I think you're putting way too much stock in Whalen. When Reggie does leave I highly doubt Whalen will be the player we are looking to for help. If Whalen even stick on the squad he will be the 5th or 6th WR and won't see much action at all. I also think it's safe to assume that one or more of Nicks, Moncrief, Rogers, and/or Brazill will be able to help fill Reggie's void, certainly more so than one, Griff Whalen.

Referring to Nicks, I didn't say A) and B): Do I believe Nicks will be back in top form? Yes. Do I believe he will be back as a Colt next year? I hope so. As for Reggie coming back for a 2nd year, that's just my gut feeling. I think if he worked this hard to be back for the season he's going to want another season if he can still play like he was last year prior to the injury. I'm certainly not taking it for granted that he'll be here 2 more years.

My original point in response to your "what then?" post, was that all of those guys; Nicks, Moncrief, Rogers, Brazill, Allen, and Fleener have a much better chance and/or are much more viable candidates to help fill Reggie's void than Whalen. 

Except Brazill sucks. PPoor route runner. A Solid 12 catches last season with a 44% completion rate to him.

The guy makes a couple plays and you ______ Homers pay no attention to what else he does. Ridiculous!!

We are getting a bit off topic to what the original question was here....

I never said Whalen is the answer to when Reggie retires, I merely stated that Whalen is the only other WR on the roster that possesses the skill set to play as well as he does in the slot. TY is great in the slot but to put him there exclusively would be a waste of his talent. 

The original question was who would you keep, Brazill or Whalen... and i think Whalen is more unique than Brazill... I know that Moncrief/Rogers/Nicks/TY will pick up Reggies slack when he goes, but Whalen is more valuable, in my humble opinion, to us than Brazill is because of the skill set each possesses.

And I know that Allen and Fleener will see the field as much as possible, but like i said, they cant both be out there 100% of the plays, they are only human.

Fair enough, I misunderstood.

Except Brazill sucks. PPoor route runner. A Solid 12 catches last season with a 44% completion rate to him.

The guy makes a couple plays and you ______ Homers pay no attention to what else he does. Ridiculous!!

Settle down you blankety _____ blank. I don't claim Brazill is great but with his speed, I do believe his potential is higher than Whalen's.

Rogers and Moncrief will get separation and Luck will get them the ball. They HAVE to catch it. Hilton struggled with that too but worked on it

TY struggled in 2012, but was great in 2013. TY's drop percentage in 2013 (6.82) was lower than Reggie's in 2012 (8.62) or his shortened 2013 (9.52).

I know you said he worked on it, but I feel that was selling how much he improved short (2012 16.67 drop %, 2013 6.82 drop % according to PFF).

Nicks, Moncrief, Rogers, Brazzill, TY is a pretty darn good set of receivers.  Whalen was an undrafted free-agent -- if we need another possession receiver we can find one cheap.

You took that post out of context... read up on my previous posts to see what we were talking about.

It's the difference between Reggie Wayne and Sammy Watkins.

There is a difference of course but pure speed by itself without knowing how to use it will usually get a receiver......well...a seat on the bench

not even close

4.48 by Whalen and 4.37 by Brazill is not really a HUGE difference, I got those numbers according to NFL Draft Scout http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=77699&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

Brazill's 40 is nearly identical to Hilton's and his speed on the field is evident. I'm seeing Griff Whalen's 40 time is in 4.55-4.59 according to NFLDRAFTSCOUT and, regardless, he is not even close to the other 2 speedwise on the field.

Speed is not all it takes, obviously, but Brazill has shown flashes.

This is off topic, but I felt I should share the fact that I randomly had a dream last night that Brazill was a cornerback on a team I was about to play against in flag football.. And I haven't thought about LaVon Brazill in at least 5 or 6 months.

Jim.jpg

At first I was disappointed at getting a receiver because it thought Hicks addressed that deficiency. I've come around! The receivers will be a handful to contain this season, and if either Reggie or Hakeem are not back next season for whatever reasons, we're still loaded. If Rodgers continues to prove his maturity, I have to think he'll be on the roster. Not so sure about Brazill (as he has already been suspended once) or Grif though. I have to think at least one is in danger of not making roster.

Agree with you Grif can return punts that may help him!

Nicks is only 26 and could be here as long as anyone on that list.

But whether or not his past self shows up this year and whether or not we decide to keep/pay him after the season is whats taking away from that future. I am all for the guy and absolutely hope he does DECENT this season, enough for us to ink him to perhaps a 5-6 mill a year kinda thing and then he shows up legitimately as he gets used to the team in the second season. A WR line up of Nicks and Rogers/Moncreif on the outside and T.Y. playing everywhere sounds legitimately good! Not to mention the fact that we don't know how Rogers/Moncreif develop in that year/two year time.

I am telling you, the potential for our WR corp, future wise anyways, is incredible. We just need to hope that Rogers and/or Moncreif get to that no 1/2 level within a year or two. If that happens, then we wouldn't have to worry about overpaying an entire receiver corp (other than Hilton who probably will get paid nice, deserves it for sure) to get talent. 

Also, to provide my extremely lowly and not-expertly opinion about the matter of which WRs make the roster and which ones dont, I have a unique idea of whats gonna happen. 

First Four weeks:

Reggie Wayne

T.Y. Hilton

Hakeem Nicks

Da'Rick Rogers

Donte Moncreif

La'Von Brazill

Griff Whalen

YES, i am saying that we will care 6 recievers our first four weeks... Whalen will take over Mathis's roster spot so it would make no difference in that time frame. It works because it takes care of any possible scenario of Nicks failing and/or Wayne not returning back to normal. We will have another receiver that Luck has worked with, a slot one too, that will do well to keep us floating. Its an excellent chance to try out to see if Nicks and Wayne provide good 1/2 stuff and if not, then they can continue to keep 6 throughout the season.

Rest of the Season:

Wayne

Nicks

Hilton

Rogers

Moncreif

Brazil

I think that after the 4th week Whalen will be dropped. This is simply because Brazill is just right where we need him. He is developing. He has shown that he has increased his frame which should help. He has the better potential, not to mention the physical tools, out of the two man race. More speed never hurts. 

The main point in this scenario is that we will get the perfect opportunity to try out our "deep" receiving corp for the first four games and see if its actually legit or whether or not we need the 6th guy. If not, then you can use in game stuff to decide who you wanna drop.

You mean seven receivers at first

Also, to provide my extremely lowly and not-expertly opinion about the matter of which WRs make the roster and which ones dont, I have a unique idea of whats gonna happen.

First Four weeks:

Reggie Wayne

T.Y. Hilton

Hakeem Nicks

Da'Rick Rogers

Donte Moncreif

La'Von Brazill

Griff Whalen

YES, i am saying that we will care 6 recievers our first four weeks... Whalen will take over Mathis's roster spot so it would make no difference in that time frame. It works because it takes care of any possible scenario of Nicks failing and/or Wayne not returning back to normal. We will have another receiver that Luck has worked with, a slot one too, that will do well to keep us floating. Its an excellent chance to try out to see if Nicks and Wayne provide good 1/2 stuff and if not, then they can continue to keep 6 throughout the season.

Rest of the Season:

Wayne

Nicks

Hilton

Rogers

Moncreif

Brazil

I think that after the 4th week Whalen will be dropped. This is simply because Brazill is just right where we need him. He is developing. He has shown that he has increased his frame which should help. He has the better potential, not to mention the physical tools, out of the two man race. More speed never hurts.

The main point in this scenario is that we will get the perfect opportunity to try out our "deep" receiving corp for the first four games and see if its actually legit or whether or not we need the 6th guy. If not, then you can use in game stuff to decide who you wanna drop.