Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

defense

OLD FAN MAN

Bjoern Werner will need to step up and provide a pass rush, and Jonathan Newsome will have to prove he can play. Probably some more blitzes from our LB's and safeties, but no, we will play the same style of defense, luckily we have one of the best corners in the league in Davis, so hopefully he and Toler can help make the QB hold onto the ball longer. 

will the colts change their style of defense since we no longer have a pass rush?

Are you guys serious with this? Yes we are going to play a 4-3 for 4 wks then slowly work our way back to the 3-4 in wk 5/6 I would expect to see some major changes over the next couple of weeks. I hear we are in talks with SF Luck for Kap and a couple of defensive guys I hate to see Luck go but Kap isn't that bad and we are finished plus Luck played for Harbaugh in college so it seems like a perfect match.

Or we could go next man up Werner maybe grab someone after cuts and have a little confidence in the guys we have on the team. This stinks but it is not the end of the world, our season, or our pass rush. I would not be surprised to see a 4-0 start

Are you guys serious with this? Yes we are going to play a 4-3 for 4 wks then slowly work our way back to the 3-4 in wk 5/6 I would expect to see some major changes over the next couple of weeks. I hear we are in talks with SF Luck for Kap and a couple of defensive guys I hate to see Luck go but Kap isn't that bad and we are finished plus Luck played for Harbaugh in college so it seems like a perfect match.

what?

depending on if Mathis can get the commish to look at it and get it uplifted or get his suspension reduced then i think we'll survive because Denver and Philly will not be in midseason stride

Dude Mathis is suspended for 4 games for breaking the PED's policy that is pretty cut and dry. He has a great story but it is his responsibility to make sure he does not break the rules when you do there are consequences. I thought an appeal had been denied already.

Dude Mathis is suspended for 4 games for breaking the PED's policy that is pretty cut and dry. He has a great story but it is his responsibility to make sure he does not break the rules when you do there are consequences. I thought an appeal had been denied already.

Yes Robert did break the rules which even if his doctor OK'd whatever it was to him, i don't see how he didn't check with the league anyways.

The commish did refuse to look more into the case or something along those lines.  I am holding out hope that he can at least get it reduced.  Nontheless we'll be okay.  

what?

Ak Was being sarcastic! haha

I hope..... If someone played 4-3 then switched to 3-4 that would be some crazy stuff! Plus I don't think the Colts would trade Luck for 10 first rounders let alone Kap

Ak Was being sarcastic! haha

I hope..... If someone played 4-3 then switched to 3-4 that would be some crazy stuff! Plus I don't think the Colts would trade Luck for 10 first rounders let alone Kap

Aha I know he was joking. But that's just something you don't joke about *shudders at the idea of Kaep being our QB

We are fine. Walden and Werner will do the job.

I thought Walden was capable last year, wasn't as good as Mathis but not many people in the nfl are.

And it's Werners 2nd season in the nfl. Didn't he play 4 3 DE in college? So he's not going to be a world beater in his rookie year after transitioning. He will be a better player this year. 

Plus after that I think we are in more than capable hands as far as depth is concerned.

will the colts change their style of defense since we no longer have a pass rush?

You do realize that we're still allowed to play with 11, and that someone will take Mathis spot? And that player is allowed to rush the passer, right?

Why don't you ask - How are the Colts going to adjust the defense to ensure we get pressure on the passer without Mathis in the lineup? You may get less sarcastic answers.

Truly sad how you all have given up cause of one player

Just sad

Truly sad how one post asking if we would change our defensive style without Mathis turns into "you all have given up" within a few replies.

Just sad.

Truly sad how one post asking if we would change our defensive style without Mathis turns into "you all have given up" within a few replies.

Just sad.

"Since we have no pass rush"

Sounds like give up to me

Didn't know one player missing meant he took the whole pass rush with him

I don't think I see anyone given up. Just a few knee jerk reactions but I see no gloom and doom too much.

Not major give ups like Jags fans. But this forum went from saying we'll beat Denver to now Colts will be 2-2 in the first 4 weeks.

Sounds like conceding defeat to me before the season has even started

For all we know Peyton could reinjure his neck & be out for the year; you never know

Not major give ups like Jags fans. But this forum went from saying we'll beat Denver to now Colts will be 2-2 in the first 4 weeks.

Sounds like conceding defeat to me before the season has even started

For all we know Peyton could reinjure his neck & be out for the year; you never know

Like I said just a few knee jerk reactions. Nothing serious. It's only a natural response.

19.5 of the 42

Exactly, so therefore we had a pass rush without Mathis

That's like saying if Robert Quinn/Quick (which is it?) Left the rams for 4 games then they wouldn't have a pass rush

Can one player change the level of play from a unit? Yes

Is it the end of the Colts pass rush cause Mathis is out 4 games? No

Exactly, so therefore we had a pass rush without Mathis

That's like saying if Robert Quinn/Quick (which is it?) Left the rams for 4 games then they wouldn't have a pass rush

Can one player change the level of play from a unit? Yes

Is it the end of the Colts pass rush cause Mathis is out 4 games? No

Im not all for the doom and gloom but with what info we have based off last year and the uncertainty of what we will get from Werner there is some cause for some concern over where our pass rush could come from:

Arthur Jones-4.0 sacks last year (.5 sack short of his career high 4.5)

Cory Redding-4.5 sacks last year....His career high was 8 years ago in a 43 scheme...8

Fili Moala-1.5

Ricky Jean Francois-2.5

Montori Hughes-0

Jeris Pendleton-0

Bjoern Werner-2.5

Cam Johnson-0

Jerrell Freeman-5.5

D'qwell Jackson-1.5 (career high 3.5)

Kelvin Sheppard-1.0

Aaron Morgan-0

Erik Walden-3.5

26.5 sacks........Plus several other guys looking to start there first ever NFL game and just get on the roster......Thats not a doom and gloom...But ALOT of uncertainty

Im not all for the doom and gloom but with what info we have based off last year and the uncertainty of what we will get from Werner there is some cause for some concern over where our pass rush could come from:

Cory Redding-4.5 sacks last year....His career high was 8 years ago in a 43 scheme...8

Fili Moala-1.5

Ricky Jean Francois-2.5

Montori Hughes-0

Jeris Pendleton-0

Bjoern Werner-2.5

Cam Johnson-0

Jerrell Freeman-5.5

D'qwell Jackson-1.5

Kelvin Sheppard-1.0

Aaron Morgan-0

Erik Walden-3.5

26.5 sacks........Plus several other guys looking to start there first ever NFL game and just get on the roster......Thats not a doom and gloom...But ALOT of uncertainty

would this number have made us the lowest team in sacks?

Fili Moala-1.5

Ricky Jean Francois-2.5

Montori Hughes-0

Jeris Pendleton-0

Bjoern Werner-2.5

Cam Johnson-0

Jerrell Freeman-5.5

D'qwell Jackson-1.5 (career high 3.5)

Kelvin Sheppard-1.0

Aaron Morgan-0

Erik Walden-3.5

If we are going of the info last year we will have more than 26.5 sacks.

Mathis got 19.5 last year, 3/4 of 19.5 is 14.625 sacks so lets round down to 14.5 sacks he would get us this year (taking in to the account that his production along with all the other players will remain the same from last year, which it wont. Eg. Werner getting more used to the nfl.) So overall we wont get 26.5, we will get 41. A number which would put us joint 13th with the Broncos/Vikings/Jets and would be a decrease by 1 sack which put us joint 11th last year. 

If this is the way you want to go about figuring out how his absence will effect us, my opinion that a top 15 defense for sacking the quarterback wont be too bad. Anyone else agree?

This isn't about Robert Mathis. He isn't going to be around forever and what he was hurt? This is a good chance to see what others have to offer. Don't take this a negative by any means. He was going to get double teamed anyways. We need others to step up period. See if our off season signing can truly aid.