Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why on earth did the Packers need 3 WRs?

chad72

I just could not understand their draft.

Davante Adams in round 2, Jared Abbrederis in round 5 and Jeff Janis in round 7.

I understand them not being happy with TE depth in the draft though they needed TE but 3 WRs??? I didn't think they were hurting that bad on that front.

I wondered the same thing. I guess they thought Janis was the best player left in the 7th. I did think he would be a 4th or 5th rounder after the combine. Now the Packers will have Nelson, Cobb, and Adams starting most likely, with Janis, Abbrederis, and Boykin as backups.

Because they can.

I think you guys are taking the draft a little too seriously. it normally takes players 2-3 years to mold to the NFL. I know you had Luck who has been a ready made success from his first year, but it don't always work that way. Just cause Houston and Jacksonville drafted well don't mean they aren't headed for disastrous seasons.

Same reasons we took one. BPA. They also have seen injuries every year at WR. With Cobb going down last year, Jennings the year before, and I know Nelson has missed time as well....fact is its a passing league and teams need to stock up at this position. You need guys to step up when someone goes down with all the extra passing and also it takes most wrs a couple years to develop..especially in a system like GB.

I wondered the same thing. I guess they thought Janis was the best player left in the 7th. I did think he would be a 4th or 5th rounder after the combine. Now the Packers will have Nelson, Cobb, and Adams starting most likely, with Janis, Abbrederis, and Boykin as backups.

and they are going against 'dollar store' perimeter defenses in Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota....twice a year

and they are going against 'dollar store' perimeter defenses in Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota....twice a year

Chicago's defense should be a lot better next year. They signed Lamar Houston, Jared Allen, and Willie Young. Then drafted Kyle Fuller, Ego Ferguson, and Will Sutton. I look for the NFC north to come down to Green Bay and Chicago.

What is their greatest strength..

Their passer..They are maximizing their greatest asset in what's going to be a high scoring 35-31 division

Their QB is going to make a lot of receivers look good, they need to improve that sorry defense. But I doesn't surprise me you feel this way Mr. We Should Throw The Ball Every Play

Their QB is going to make a lot of receivers look good, they need to improve that sorry defense. But I doesn't surprise me you feel this way Mr. We Should Throw The Ball Every Play

^^^^This.

Rodgers can make guys like James Jones and Jarrett Boykin look good. Their losses the last two years have been because they could not stop Kaepernick. Even with Rodgers missing a few games, they won their division. Granted, their division looks improved on paper but the last time they won the SB, that defense with playmakers like Clay Mathews, Charles Woodson etc. got them there while Rodgers kept balling as always.

The previous year, they lost 45-51 to Kurt Warner and the Cardinals, then won the SB in 2010, and the next year, they lost to the Giants 20-37, and the next year lost to Kaepernick and the 49ers 31-45, and at least were respectable in their loss to the 49ers again 20-23.

But if you look at their losses, the things that stand out the most is their defensive performance that has stunk vs good teams. Rodgers can get you those 20 points consistently but the year they won the SB, they beat the Bears 21-14 on the road and the Eagles 21-16 on the road. So, yes, that D was the one that needed to be shored up.

So, I am not sure they needed more than 1 wideout, to be honest, no matter how much they lost. Casey Hayward missed games too but I didn't see them stock up on CBs. Just saying.

Chicago's defense should be a lot better next year. They signed Lamar Houston, Jared Allen, and Willie Young. Then drafted Kyle Fuller, Ego Ferguson, and Will Sutton. I look for the NFC north to come down to Green Bay and Chicago.

perimeter defense..perimeter defense.....the Bears got tons better up front because they were last in the NFL against the run..

.they are still old and rookie-fied on the perimeter

The point is.....Green Bay is doubling down on their biggest strength in a pass-defense challenged division

Detroit is a monster..That offense is Godzilla  but the secondary is crumb cake ////The Bears have the twin towers of receivers....but they have 33-year old Peanut Tillman on one leg trying to cover Megatron

...Look for everybody to average 28 points a year in that division

perimeter defense..perimeter defense.....the Bears got tons better up front because they were last in the NFL against the run..

.they are still old and rookie-fied on the perimeter

The point is.....Green Bay is doubling down on their biggest strength in a pass-defense challenged division

Detroit is a monster..That offense is Godzilla  but the secondary is crumb cake ////The Bears have the twin towers of receivers....but they have 33-year old Peanut Tillman on one leg trying to cover Megatron

...Look for everybody to average 28 points a year in that division

Watch for GB to win the division and then get creamed in the playoffs because their defense stinks

Rodgers' arsenal has become a little suspect the past couple of seasons. The loss of Jennings and Driver. Then they lose James Jones. Add in Nelson and Finley being injured at times, and he had no real weapons outside of Cobb most times. They simply gave him a full deck to play with, much like the Colts have done with Luck, and the Broncos are doing with Peyton.

• 1 month later...

Re: Aaron Rodgers is not a cluth QB.

I've been on this since 2009 after the second Vikings game that was a route by the 2nd quarter. Aaron Rodgers brought the team back and everybody ignored the fact that it was just game number 62,765 that year that the Vikings led in, where Brad Childress let the other team back in the game then put it back in 5th gear at the end and won. On top of that is my biggest problem with how overrated Aaron Rodgers is...he very rarely plays well, let alone beats any team that fields an 8 win season. Then when he does it's often when he gets these insane breaks (Cards in week 17 of 2009, the Joe Webb game, the first Vikings game in 2010 with 2 FAILMARYS that everybody forgets about as they complain about the Seattle game).

I'm a huge Favre mark...I hope it was ok to bump this up. I found this while googling for Arod's record against .500 or better teams. I never found it. I would guess it's up to about 20 games.

I was arguing with 1 of those Packer fan/Favre haters who doesn't understand how stupid he sounds when he talks about football. Besides 2010 (and even then he got breaks), Aaron Rodgers has been everything that made Packer fans sick of Favre. He's a statistical powerhorse.......as long it's against some 2-14 team, which is usually what the Packers schedule consists of. Then comes playoff time and he looks like he forgot how to play football. Nobody ever says anything about it just like they never did after the 5 or 6 tough regular season games they lose ever year.

I just could not understand their draft.

Davante Adams in round 2, Jared Abbrederis in round 5 and Jeff Janis in round 7.

I understand them not being happy with TE depth in the draft though they needed TE but 3 WRs??? I didn't think they were hurting that bad on that front.

They have Nelson and Cobb and that is it they learned that the hard way last year. Plus the 3rd WR was in the 7th

I've been on this since 2009 after the second Vikings game that was a route by the 2nd quarter. Aaron Rodgers brought the team back and everybody ignored the fact that it was just game number 62,765 that year that the Vikings led in, where Brad Childress let the other team back in the game then put it back in 5th gear at the end and won. On top of that is my biggest problem with how overrated Aaron Rodgers is...he very rarely plays well, let alone beats any team that fields an 8 win season. Then when he does it's often when he gets these insane breaks (Cards in week 17 of 2009, the Joe Webb game, the first Vikings game in 2010 with 2 FAILMARYS that everybody forgets about as they complain about the Seattle game).

I'm a huge Favre mark...I hope it was ok to bump this up. I found this while googling for Arod's record against .500 or better teams. I never found it. I would guess it's up to about 20 games.

I was arguing with 1 of those Packer fan/Favre haters who doesn't understand how stupid he sounds when he talks about football. Besides 2010 (and even then he got breaks), Aaron Rodgers has been everything that made Packer fans sick of Favre. He's a statistical powerhorse.......as long it's against some 2-14 team, which is usually what the Packers schedule consists of. Then comes playoff time and he looks like he forgot how to play football. Nobody ever says anything about it just like they never did after the 5 or 6 tough regular season games they lose ever year.

So a guy who has won league MVP, Super Bowl MVP, is a Super Bowl champion, and has tons of other accolades is not good?  He rarely plays well?  Are you a Vikings/Bears/Lions fan?

Oh, for goodness sake.......       :facepalm:            :loco:

I'm sorry,  I know you're a new poster here.....   

Forgive me, I'm kinda hoping you're a Packers fan?     Please say yes?!    Please, please, please?!?

You're not a Colts fan are you?       Please say no?!     Please,  please,   please?!?

Point taken, but Favre was expected to retire at any minute when they drafted Rodgers.

Agreed, you can't be too critical of a team for taking a QB high when their starter is that old.  

As for the Packers I wouldn't worry about it too much.  They are consistently a winning organization.  The 7th rounder you don't know that he's even going to be making the team in the first place.  

Agreed, you can't be too critical of a team for taking a QB high when their starter is that old.  

As for the Packers I wouldn't worry about it too much.  They are consistently a winning organization.  The 7th rounder you don't know that he's even going to be making the team in the first place.  

I get the concern. They have some holes on their roster, some spots that have thinned out in the last four seasons, and then they draft 3 WRs. And I think Colts fans have a complex, to an extent, about teams giving QBs a lot of weapons but not stocking the shelves in other areas. So I get that.

But I really appreciated Grigson's defense of his draft in 2012. He sold the whole BPA concept really well, basically stating that you take the guy you think has the best chance of making it in the NFL, and you let your roster issues sort themselves out. You have free agency, trades, etc., to fill holes, but you draft players you project to be capable of performing in the league. No sense in passing on the 7th round WR you really like for a LB you're only so-so about, because in your mind, that LB probably won't make it anyways, and you haven't really addressed the need either way. Plus, you may have missed out on the guy you really did like. It's just a philosophy, a principle, not a hard and fast rule, but it makes sense to me. You do all this scouting, you might as well stand by it on draft day.

I'm a traumatized Packer fan lol! I was raised a Packer before Favre was being thought about. In 2008 I sided with him but I'm over that just like most people are.

What I'm not over are the Packer fans whose measuring stick for Arod is still Brett Favre for some reason. If we still have to play that game then let's be real. Arod is good but Favre, HoFer, GOAT he is not...unless we're talking about 2000-2007 overrated Favre then sure he's as good as Favre. And I'm being leanient...postprime lame Favre still won a playoff game every other year.

The Packers and Rodgers are going to love Davante Adams - I'm so bummed he left Fresno State so early (we're local to FS so we're fans).  He's got great hands, speed and moves.  The major adjustment I see him having is how hard Rodgers throws, that ball is smoking.  Carr could zip it but most were really soft, catchable balls.  

Guess only here but they 1. have a QB that can get them the ball, 2. the Bears have maybe the best 1-2 WR combo in the game. 3. The Central could be murderous this season with all being capable of beating each other 4. it is now a passing game and like one man said if you have a young son that plays running back in pee-wee league pull him and start throwing the ball to him every night after work.

Maybe also because this team seems to get his with injuries BADLY a lot in recent years........not sure whats in their water there.

not really concerned about the offense though. The run game will continue to get better too.

It's that defense.......omg......since the SB win I don't know what the heck is going on at times.

I'm a traumatized Packer fan lol! I was raised a Packer before Favre was being thought about. In 2008 I sided with him but I'm over that just like most people are.

What I'm not over are the Packer fans whose measuring stick for Arod is still Brett Favre for some reason. If we still have to play that game then let's be real. Arod is good but Favre, HoFer, GOAT he is not...unless we're talking about 2000-2007 overrated Favre then sure he's as good as Favre. And I'm being leanient...postprime lame Favre still won a playoff game every other year.

I will never understand why Packers fans talk so badly of Favre.

The guy gave you a Super Bowl as well as many winning seasons and you guys spit all over him and his legacy and talk about how "overrated" the man was who gave you the prime of his body for 15+ years.

Let's be real

Rodgers record in the playoffs is 2-4 after 2010, including the 1st round exit with the 15-1 team AT HOME.

Outside of that one Super Bowl season, it's not like Green Bay is this big dominant monster that wins constantly in the playoffs. I know you guys will always hate the old gunslinger but right now it looks like you should be a little more appreciative of the guy since Rodgers is setting up a playoff record to rival Peyton Manning in losses.

I think the Packers are not a very well run org. Their drafts have not been good and they still have not got anything that resembles a decent defense which has been going on for years at this point. I wonder if they have deer in the headlights syndrome where they just expect Rodgers to carry the day and then when they run into the Niners it all falls apart.

I will never understand why Packers fans talk so badly of Favre.

The guy gave you a Super Bowl as well as many winning seasons and you guys spit all over him and his legacy and talk about how "overrated" the man was who gave you the prime of his body for 15+ years.

Let's be real

Rodgers record in the playoffs is 2-4 after 2010, including the 1st round exit with the 15-1 team AT HOME.

Outside of that one Super Bowl season, it's not like Green Bay is this big dominant monster that wins constantly in the playoffs. I know you guys will always hate the old gunslinger but right now it looks like you should be a little more appreciative of the guy since Rodgers is setting up a playoff record to rival Peyton Manning in losses.

You missed the point of the post entirely. Champ was saying that Rodgers is not as good as a prime Favre. I agree with him. Rodgers needs more post-season success.

• 1 month later...